UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Caceres

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Caceres 

Post#1 » by Jasen777 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 7:29 pm

This is at least thingish.

8/6 in Salt Lake. Main and prelims on Fox Sports 1.

Main

Yair Rodríguez vs. Alex Caceres
Dennis Bermudez vs. Rony Jason
Thales Leites vs. Chris Camozzi
Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Zak Cummings
Trevor Smith vs. Joe Gigliotti
Maryna Moroz vs. Danielle Taylor

Preliminary

Court McGee vs. Dominique Steele
Viktor Pešta vs. Marcin Tybura
David Teymur vs. Jason Novelli
Teruto Ishihara vs. Horacio Gutiérrez

Fight Pass

Cub Swanson vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
Chase Sherman vs. Justin Ledet
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,760

Re: UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Caceres 

Post#2 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Aug 6, 2016 11:45 pm

Swanson vs Kawajiri on right now, back & forth so far, decent fight, imo.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#3 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Aug 7, 2016 12:22 am

so.....apparently I don't have the Fight Network anymore. Thank you, Rogers.
Thank you Clutch0z24
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,802

Post#4 » by NZB2323 » Sun Aug 7, 2016 2:19 am

That round reminded me of the beginning of Hendo vs. Bisping or Rashad vs. Machida. If you just run around the cage, you're probably going to lose.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,760

Post#5 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Aug 7, 2016 5:24 am

Well that was *def* a most exciting, entertaining main event! Was what I was expecting.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#6 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Aug 7, 2016 5:39 am

Awesome Main event, was better than I expected, and I had some high hopes but I was thinking it wouldn't go past the 2nd round. I had it 48-47 for Rodriguez, didn't see how it could be 49-46 for Leeroy, but a great fight nevertheless.

I really think that was one of the best UFC fights so far this year.....I enjoyed the whole fight, and it made up for a boring card that were followed by some boring fights.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#7 » by Cammo101 » Sun Aug 7, 2016 8:04 am

Great main event, even though it was not nearly as close as those cards. Seemed pretty cut and dry 49-46 for Yair to me. Yair vs. Cub would be absolute fireworks. I really hope that is what the UFC does next for those guys.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#8 » by Bernman » Sun Aug 7, 2016 7:00 pm

49-46 for Bruce Leeroy is one of the most ridiculous scores I've ever seen, and I was rooting for him. At worst it should have been 48-47 Yair, and probably 49-46. Possible home country scoring there, as well as maybe getting distracted by all the spinning s**t, and having an aversion to it. I think that was the case for the studio analysts as well, because more of it was landing than they suggested. In addition, he was mixing in some basic straight rights, leg kicks, body attacks. He threw so much, that a good percentage of it logically had to be landing, and it was.

The most impressive aspect of the fight had to be Yair's cardio for frenetic movement when he wasn't resisted. A different sort of test would be if someone got more aggressive with him, smothered, threw combos in the pocket, and worked a td from a body lock to control his body. Because that would test his cardio in a different way, and that's when he had some issues with Leeroy, who is accustomed to fighting long. Good showing from Leeroy at range to not take major damage. He was always conscious and on the move, although it was foolish when he was turning his back. Yair could have taken more advantage of that. This was Leeroy's first fight at 145 I believe. He probably still has a little more upside given that, he could fill out more, and some issues stemming out of tactical naivety.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#9 » by REDDzone » Mon Aug 8, 2016 12:37 am

I saw the last 3 rounds of the main, didn't bother with the rest of the card. Fun fight. Both guys are good and could be better. Hope they continue to bring Yair along slowly, he's not quite as ready as some fans would have you believe, IMO. Still very young.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#10 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Aug 8, 2016 4:18 am

I'm probably in the very small minority here but I was underwhelmed by the main event tbh. With the wide variety of attacks and the openings the offense left, I thought someone was going to get slept. Instead it was a ton of missed fancy kicks, ugly winging punches and just heaps of movement. I enjoy flashy moves but I like them to be opportunistic and effective, this fight looked like some kid spamming high kick and low kick in Street Fighter.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#11 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:04 am

Caceres is not good. 80% of his success comes down to him being so damn loose. It's impressive, and probably a factor of having fought in Dada 5000's grandma's backyard for the reward of rent money at the risk of lifetime medical bill debt. But his strikes never land at proper extension, they're also muffled halfway through or reaching way after the turn of his hips. The alignment is all effed up. Has he KDd or KOd anyone ever?

REDDzone wrote:I saw the last 3 rounds of the main, didn't bother with the rest of the card. Fun fight. Both guys are good and could be better. Hope they continue to bring Yair along slowly, he's not quite as ready as some fans would have you believe, IMO. Still very young.

Definitely track down the first two rounds then. They were the same thing but significantly wilder. Yair stopped being able to chain together the like 4 straight spinning attacks after round two. Fair enough.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#12 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:07 am

Average white guys the world over: how did our guys McGhee and Camozzi do?
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#13 » by REDDzone » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:22 am

lol. I didn't see either but I saw Camozzi complaining on the UG how he wanted to FIGHT (bro) but Leites just wanted to hug him or play bjj or whatever disdainful language he used. In the meantime, he was finished once again by submission, not decisioned.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#14 » by Bernman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:09 am

REDDzone wrote:lol. I didn't see either but I saw Camozzi complaining on the UG how he wanted to FIGHT (bro) but Leites just wanted to hug him or play bjj or whatever disdainful language he used. In the meantime, he was finished once again by submission, not decisioned.

The only time Camozzi is remotely entertaining is when he's getting submitted.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#15 » by Bernman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:15 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Caceres is not good. 80% of his success comes down to him being so damn loose. It's impressive, and probably a factor of having fought in Dada 5000's grandma's backyard for the reward of rent money at the risk of lifetime medical bill debt. But his strikes never land at proper extension, they're also muffled halfway through or reaching way after the turn of his hips. The alignment is all effed up. Has he KDd or KOd anyone ever?

REDDzone wrote:I saw the last 3 rounds of the main, didn't bother with the rest of the card. Fun fight. Both guys are good and could be better. Hope they continue to bring Yair along slowly, he's not quite as ready as some fans would have you believe, IMO. Still very young.

Definitely track down the first two rounds then. They were the same thing but significantly wilder. Yair stopped being able to chain together the like 4 straight spinning attacks after round two. Fair enough.

He kd'ed Sergio once or twice. He has good footwork, normally distance control (but here he was actually shorter), decent head movement, accuracy, and combos. I won't vouch for his punching technique, but he wins most fights on the feet, and is slick on the ground. That's probably the best aspect of his game. He's good, with a little upside left, just probably will never be some sort of contender. Just a good, entertaining fighter. Nothing wrong with that. There's a niche for guys like him in the UFC. If I see Alex Caceres' name on a card, I'm a little more apt to watch.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#16 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:36 am

Bernman wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:Caceres is not good. 80% of his success comes down to him being so damn loose. It's impressive, and probably a factor of having fought in Dada 5000's grandma's backyard for the reward of rent money at the risk of lifetime medical bill debt. But his strikes never land at proper extension, they're also muffled halfway through or reaching way after the turn of his hips. The alignment is all effed up. Has he KDd or KOd anyone ever?

He kd'ed Sergio once or twice. He has good footwork, normally distance control (but here he was actually shorter), decent head movement, accuracy, and combos. I won't vouch for his punching technique, but he wins most fights on the feet, and is slick on the ground. That's probably the best aspect of his game. He's good, with a little upside left, just probably will never be some sort of contender. Just a good, entertaining fighter. Nothing wrong with that. There's a niche for guys like him in the UFC. If I see Alex Caceres' name on a card, I'm a little more apt to watch.

The looseness is a big factor there, he's able to move so relaxedly that there he has a nice flow to those movements.

He has two finishes by strikes early in his career but I can't speak to KDs.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts