Mayweather vs McGregor confirmed

Moderator: lilfishi22

Bostondave
Analyst
And1: 2,058

Re: Mayweather vs McGregor confirmed 

Post#141 » by Bostondave » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:45 am

Boxing sold out as an honorable sport long ago? Howso? Explain that to me.

Actually the only thing I think you could possibly be talking about is the unscrupulous promoters like King? And the odd rare times when a fight was corrupted. But those are few and far between and you can't say the sport itself sold out. So perhaps there's something else you know thats not obvious to me.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,142

Post#142 » by CjayC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:06 am

Bostondave wrote:Boxing sold out as an honorable sport long ago? Howso? Explain that to me.

Actually the only thing I think you could possibly be talking about is the unscrupulous promoters like King? And the odd rare times when a fight was corrupted. But those are few and far between and you can't say the sport itself sold out. So perhaps there's something else you know thats not obvious to me.

Sideshow events have been in boxing since the very beginning. Boxer vs *Insert Animal*, Boxer vs Strongman, Boxer vs one-eyed monster etc... Ali vs Inoki so nah it's not been some super noble sport. It's always been about where the money is period.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,142

Post#143 » by CjayC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:24 am

Headliner wrote:Sonnen makes a great point, and I think that's a question that will begin to be raised during this convo. At what point does it look bad on boxing for connor to make it past?

We all know if a boxer made it to the second round in an MMA fight vs an MMA legend, we'd be very impressed.
If Conor makes it out of...what round, and you will be impressed?

I'm leaning toward the 3rd round. That's 9 minutes of action from arguably the greatest ever vs someone who has never competed before.
If Conor gets to round 5-8 I think that's a huge accomplishment, and a personal win for him. If he somehow managed to get to a decision...it's a massive embarrassment to boxing. I don't think in any universe he'll actually win, but if he did, it's a death blow for boxing.

He has no point. He'd have a point if it was Errol Spence, GGG, or Canelo he was going up against. Then I'd ask myself man he should be out of there within the first round or I dunno...

He's going against a 40 year old in his 4th weight class that has bad hands and hasn't clean stopped anyone since 2007; that'll presumably be outweighed by close to 20 pounds. With heavier gloves than he's used to being hit with. McGregor has a wet paper bag chin if he get's hurt by Mayweather and taken out within 3 rounds. That's not what Mayweather does. He school's you for 12 rounds and 'school' can be everything from an uneventful unanimous points win to a solid beating over 12. If this looked like Mayweather-Gatti for 12 rounds minus a stoppage(Not that they'd let it go for that long if it begins to resemble that) I don't think anyone is gonna be celebrating that for McGregor(Or at least I hope not).

It's quite stupid of Sonnen to say.
Bostondave
Analyst

Post#144 » by Bostondave » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:38 am

OK, I got it. Its been done before.....kinda. Not sure it's ever been sanctioned, or added into victory/defeat totals, or stuck to one set of rules. 100+ years of boxing with the rare sideshows and exhibitions still doesn't destroy the honor of boxing though.

But I see it's been done before, not quite like this though.

http://lastwordonprowrestling.com/2017/06/16/crossing-streams-boxing-pro-wrestling/

Still say Mayweather is a heartless punk too.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#145 » by Susan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:57 am

Bostondave wrote:Thats not true. Boxing is close to being one of the oldest combat sports and there are plenty of boxers with warrior hearts and spirits. Just not this guy.

There's NOBODY compared to Diego Sanchez in boxing. Sorry bro.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#146 » by REDDzone » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:13 am

Some of this is just melodramatic IMO. There can be no outcome to this fight that would damage either sport in any significant way. Despite the fight containing the biggest star from each discipline.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,224

Re: RE: Re: Mayweather vs McGregor confirmed 

Post#147 » by RalphWiggum » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:20 am

Bostondave wrote:OK, I got it. Its been done before.....kinda. Not sure it's ever been sanctioned, or added into victory/defeat totals, or stuck to one set of rules. 100+ years of boxing with the rare sideshows and exhibitions still doesn't destroy the honor of boxing though.

But I see it's been done before, not quite like this though.

http://lastwordonprowrestling.com/2017/06/16/crossing-streams-boxing-pro-wrestling/

Still say Mayweather is a heartless punk too.

The fight is going to happen and you're not talking anyone out of watching it.

The sport of boxing is not going to be irreparably hurt by this fight no matter the result.

Boxing is not some honorable sport. It's two men bludgeoning each other for money and our entertainment.

Floyd Mayweather is not a very likeable person but that doesn't change the fact he's one of the best fighters of all time.

You calling a guy a punk, coward and fraud doesn't outweigh basically every fighter and media guy who covers the sport who have him in their top ten all time boxers.

Nobody cares about your uniformed opinions that you have to walk back after you get repeatedly corrected.

You've made your unlettered points ad nauseum and haven't made a single compelling argument. It's time to move onto something more your speed, like avoiding lakefront property sales scams.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#148 » by Jasen777 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:25 am

REDDzone wrote:Some of this is just melodramatic IMO. There can be no outcome to this fight that would damage either sport in any significant way. Despite the fight containing the biggest star from each discipline.

Maybe not significant, but a (borderline impossible) first round KO victory by Conor wouldn't do boxing any good.
Bostondave
Analyst

Post#149 » by Bostondave » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:43 am

Im still around and still think the fight is a joke and Mayweather is the biggest sports punk ever. Him or Durant, still not totally certain which one. They say theres a sucker born every minute. Thats so true.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#150 » by Headliner » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:19 pm

ok.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#151 » by REDDzone » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:00 pm

Bostondave wrote:Im still around and still think the fight is a joke and Mayweather is the biggest sports punk ever. Him or Durant, still not totally certain which one. They say theres a sucker born every minute. Thats so true.

Make sure to keep us updated on this. Maybe check in once every three months or so until the fight.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#152 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:25 pm

Bostondave wrote:Im still around and still think the fight is a joke and Mayweather is the biggest sports punk ever. Him or Durant, still not totally certain which one. They say theres a sucker born every minute. Thats so true.

Wow. Your opinion has not changed in 5 days? Definitely just keep staking your position. That's what a discussion board is about. Plugging your ears with Metamucil and endlessly repeating the same senseless points without engaging counter-arguments.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#153 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:35 pm

:dontknow: Durant?? He only copied Lebron, so you must think Lebron is a punk too. ( IMO he is)

What about your boy Tom Brady? Who along with the rest of the team and coaches, cheated their way to winning 4 of those 5 Super Bowls.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#154 » by REDDzone » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Trollception.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#155 » by Knickfan1982 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#156 » by Knickfan1982 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Susan wrote:
Bostondave wrote:Thats not true. Boxing is close to being one of the oldest combat sports and there are plenty of boxers with warrior hearts and spirits. Just not this guy.

There are plenty of guys with big hearts in boxing. Don't get things twisted because Diego is more high profile to you. Yuri Foreman tore his ACL and Meniscus in a knee against 38 seconds into the 7th round of his Yankee Stadium fight with Miguel Cotto. He kept fighting and survived until 42 seconds left in the 9th. Arthur Abraham kept fighting Edison Miranda despite having a glaringly obvious broken jaw that gushed blood with every landed punch. That's just two examples of guys off the top of my head that showed at least as much heart as Diego Sanchez.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#157 » by REDDzone » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
Susan wrote:

There are plenty of guys with big hearts in boxing. Don't get things twisted because Diego is more high profile to you. Yuri Foreman tore his ACL and Meniscus in a knee against 38 seconds into the 7th round of his Yankee Stadium fight with Miguel Cotto. He kept fighting and survived until 42 seconds left in the 9th. Arthur Abraham kept fighting Edison Miranda despite having a glaringly obvious broken jaw that gushed blood with every landed punch. That's just two examples of guys off the top of my head that showed at least as much heart as Diego Sanchez.

LOL no, sorry. Corazon de Lion is the GOAT in terms of literally everything regarding fighting. No other boxer/wrestler/martial artist comes close.

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#158 » by Susan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:46 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
Susan wrote:

LOL no, sorry. Corazon de Lion is the GOAT in terms of literally everything regarding fighting. No other boxer/wrestler/martial artist comes close.

Greatest human alive.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#159 » by Knickfan1982 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:27 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
Susan wrote:

Nope.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#160 » by REDDzone » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:48 pm

I met a boxer with as much heart as Diego Sanchez once, honest!

None of this is real.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts