UFC 246 (1/18) - Conor Vs Cowboy

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC 246 (1/18) - Conor Vs Cowboy 

Post#141 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:46 am

I truly believe Colby wrecks Conor and also that Dana isn't going to let him near any legitimate welterweight. If he fights at WW it will be against blown up LWs. I could see them doing Colby if he wins the title.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,341

Post#142 » by brutalitops » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:23 pm

I think Masvidals comments he clarified and said he was a fan of Khabib and guys like Matt Hughes who would grabble and smash,

Do enjou guys like T city, Ferguson are a joy to watch.

Couldnt stand Askren, I think MMA often rewards great wrestlers. over good strikers

ANYWAYS

Pettis V Ferreria, Looks like it may of been a pretty brutal cut for Pettis, he didnt look like his usual self.
Kelleher V ode, Great fight, Great knee to start off, Kelleher got that tight headlock
Oleneki V Green. Favourite fight of the night, Watching the big boys grapple was fun, Watching that Russian armbar,s where they fall onto their stomach was great.
Holm V Pennington. Bleh. Holm just physically bullied Pennington who couldnt get any seperation
Connor V Cowboy

**** anyone who calls that a dive, However Absolutely careless by Cowboy. Copped that nasty shoulder. then misjudged Connors kick and that was it.

Interesting to see next fight. Will we have Connor V Colby ? Usman V Connor, Connor V Woodley? Usman V masvidal? Masvidal V Colby? Quite a few match ups im keen about. Some massive fights due soon in the divisionn this year
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#143 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:47 pm

brutalitops wrote:I think MMA often rewards great wrestlers. over good strikers

Poor judging rewards great wrestlers for sure. If a guy takes someone down but doesn't do anything and in fact is being beat up by the guy on bottom and/or almost submitted by him, the fight still usually goes for the guy on top which is a travesty.

However, MMA rules greatly favor striking over wrestling. Round breaks, referee standups, gloves, limits on strikes to grounded opponents, bare arms/chests/legs, etc.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,341

Post#144 » by brutalitops » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:21 am

REDDzone wrote:

Poor judging rewards great wrestlers for sure. If a guy takes someone down but doesn't do anything and in fact is being beat up by the guy on bottom and/or almost submitted by him, the fight still usually goes for the guy on top which is a travesty.

However, MMA rules greatly favor striking over wrestling. Round breaks, referee standups, gloves, limits on strikes to grounded opponents, bare arms/chests/legs, etc.

I think Scoring in general could be worked on. while GSP is fantastic he often used to just go the takedowns last minute of the ground to keep the idea in judges heads hes won that round
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#145 » by REDDzone » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:39 am

brutalitops wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

I think Scoring in general could be worked on. while GSP is fantastic he often used to just go the takedowns last minute of the ground to keep the idea in judges heads hes won that round

I don't know all the details of the new rules but I think they are MEANT to discount that type of stuff more. Basically valuing damage without saying the word damage. I'm fine with giving an even round to a guy who scores a takedown but I'm not fine with someone stealing a round that they were losing due to a takedown that they weren't able to do anything with.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,133
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#146 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:51 pm

REDDzone wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:As wrong as they are, there is a big degree of difference between people that grapple like Khabib, and grapplers that literally hold you against the fence and do nothing, or throw pitter patter stuff to score points but don't really do any damage at all.

That's fair, which is why I didn't add that Pennington quote tbh. I didn't really watch that fight, so I have no idea if her complaint has merit. Whereas the claim that Khabib just "holds legs" is obviously delusional.

The Holm/Pennington fight was pretty bad in terms of just holding at the cage, but Raquel actually initiated the clinch after Holly was controlling her there multiple times, so she really has no grounds to complain either.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts