OT- Khabib, Tony fight going on as planned?

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: OT- Khabib, Tony fight going on as planned? 

Post#101 » by REDDzone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:44 pm

Even if the UFC minimizes risk at the actual event, how would they minimize risk when it comes to the travel aspect of it? Weight cutting while traveling, using public restrooms, etc. seems very risky.

And yes the WWE thing is stupid too. And its not condescending at all to state the obvious fact that many fighters are not risk averse and need fights for the pay. Jacare literally came out this week and said he needed the money to pay his mortgage and feed his family.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#102 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:30 pm

REDDzone wrote:Even if the UFC minimizes risk at the actual event, how would they minimize risk when it comes to the travel aspect of it? Weight cutting while traveling, using public restrooms, etc. seems very risky.

With respect to travelling, that one's easy: private flights. I believe Dana says he was arranging that, at least for the fight island cards.

But no, you can't completely eliminate every possible risk. So what is your suggestion? A complete lockdown, including no sports whatsoever, until there is a cure or a vaccine? That's the only option under your logic.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#103 » by REDDzone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:44 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Even if the UFC minimizes risk at the actual event, how would they minimize risk when it comes to the travel aspect of it? Weight cutting while traveling, using public restrooms, etc. seems very risky.

With respect to travelling, that one's easy: private flights. I believe Dana says he was arranging that, at least for the fight island cards.

The island thing is at least 2-3 months away with many cards between now and then, not applicable here.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#104 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:17 pm

REDDzone wrote:The island thing is at least 2-3 months away with many cards between now and then, not applicable here.

They could have done private flights to the CA location too.

But you didn't answer my question. What's your suggestion? Like I said before, using your logic, the country needs to be in shutdown until a cure or vaccine is found. That will almost certainly take at least another year.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#105 » by REDDzone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:26 pm

Yea, you didn't address all my points so I didn't bother addressing all yours.

I'll just say I'm not claiming to have all the solutions, but IMO it's not a good look for the UFC to be 1) running from regulation again, 2) endangering fighters even more than usual, and 3) tying up medical resources right now.
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#106 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:05 pm

REDDzone wrote:Yea, you didn't address all my points so I didn't bother addressing all yours.

I'll just say I'm not claiming to have all the solutions, but IMO it's not a good look for the UFC to be 1) running from regulation again, 2) endangering fighters even more than usual, and 3) tying up medical resources right now.

That's what I suspected. You don't actually have an answer.

I'll say this one more time: either you're ok with a lockdown for the next 1-2 years, or your position makes no sense. My suspicion is the latter.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#107 » by REDDzone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 pm

So just because I personally don't have an answer as to how to handle the once in a century pandemic supposedly means I'm wrong about not thinking the UFC should be running events right now? K.

Also, not thinking it's a good idea for the UFC to start holding unregulated events on Indian reservations between people traveling from across the world in immunocompromised states =/= I want fullscale lockdown for the next 2 years.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#108 » by REDDzone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:18 pm

Anyway, you and I rarely agree on anything regarding the UFC or Jon Jones lol. I doubt we're going to start now.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Post#109 » by Susan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:20 pm

"Well, the WWE is doing it" might be the worst rational ever.

How many wrestlers have killed themselves because of the longterm damage of their working conditions?
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#110 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:08 pm

REDDzone wrote:So just because I personally don't have an answer as to how to handle the once in a century pandemic supposedly means I'm wrong about not thinking the UFC should be running events right now? K.

No, it's that your position is incoherent. The UFC would presumably take extraordinary precaution to minimize the risk of someone contracting COVID-19. Almost certainly that would mean that everyone involved would, at minimum, be tested twice (probably even more than that). They would be segregated at a hotel, I presume. And they would likely be able to get private flights (like I said, Dana was already arranging this for the island fights). They would also be surrounded by medical professionals in case something went wrong. And I would bet they'd have quarantine protocols in place if someone tested positive.

In other words, this would be about as safe as you can get short of the lockdown that's in place. In comparison, let's just use an example of Best Buy opening back up. A worker there would be infinitely more likely to catch the virus than one of these UFC fighters. He would go to work (not tested before heading to the store or leaving the store), he would be around co-workers who similarly would not be tested, he would be around customers who would not be tested, and he wouldn't have a team of doctors surrounding him to ensure his safety at all times.

So, if you think it's too risky for the UFC to hold an enclosed, heavily regulated event, then it's pretty much too risky to do anything else besides a lockdown.
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#111 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:10 pm

Susan wrote:"Well, the WWE is doing it" might be the worst rational ever.

They have successfully run events without anyone getting seriously harmed by the virus. I'm not even sure a single person has gotten it by being involved at one of their events.

So the rationale is actually logically sound.

How many wrestlers have killed themselves because of the longterm damage of their working conditions?

Oh boy. You accuse me of using the "worst rational ever" and then say something as silly as this. :lol:
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#112 » by REDDzone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:22 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:No, it's that your position is incoherent. The UFC would presumably take extraordinary precaution to minimize the risk of someone contracting COVID-19. Almost certainly that would mean that everyone involved would, at minimum, be tested twice (probably even more than that). They would be segregated at a hotel, I presume. And they would likely be able to get private flights (like I said, Dana was already arranging this for the island fights). They would also be surrounded by medical professionals in case something went wrong. And I would bet they'd have quarantine protocols in place if someone tested positive.

You presume and bet a lot of stuff that I don't think are a given.
Susan
RealGM

Post#113 » by Susan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:29 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:
Susan wrote:"Well, the WWE is doing it" might be the worst rational ever.

They have successfully run events without anyone getting seriously harmed by the virus. I'm not even sure a single person has gotten it by being involved at one of their events.

So the rationale is actually logically sound.

Oh boy. You accuse me of using the "worst rational ever" and then say something as silly as this. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premature_professional_wrestling_deaths

WWE gives very little **** what happens to their talent.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#114 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:30 pm

Ufc couldn’t even properly drug test either. This was the best case possible for the fighters and ufc itself, and also we get a chance to see tony vs Khabib again. Which is honestly what I care about most lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,916

Post#115 » by Jasen777 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:19 am

GetBuLLish wrote:In these controlled environments, the risk can be significantly reduced. Frankly, I don't see how it would be much riskier than going to the grocery store, which we pretty much all are doing.

A major difference of course is that we have to eat. We don't have to watch MMA.
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#116 » by GetBuLLish » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:43 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:In these controlled environments, the risk can be significantly reduced. Frankly, I don't see how it would be much riskier than going to the grocery store, which we pretty much all are doing.

A major difference of course is that we have to eat. We don't have to watch MMA.

Ok so only grocery shopping allowed for the next 12-24 months. Got it.

I'm honestly pretty surprised MMA fans out of all people would be so irrationally scared.

Anyways, I'm glad Dana is trying his ass off to make these events happen. So are most fighters. Just listened to Bisping on a podcast railing against MMA journalists for gloating about the event cancellation.
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#117 » by GetBuLLish » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:45 pm

REDDzone wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:No, it's that your position is incoherent. The UFC would presumably take extraordinary precaution to minimize the risk of someone contracting COVID-19. Almost certainly that would mean that everyone involved would, at minimum, be tested twice (probably even more than that). They would be segregated at a hotel, I presume. And they would likely be able to get private flights (like I said, Dana was already arranging this for the island fights). They would also be surrounded by medical professionals in case something went wrong. And I would bet they'd have quarantine protocols in place if someone tested positive.

It's called common sense. And I suspect that your anti-UFC stance (shocker) isn't simply due to not knowing what protocols they have in place.
Susan
RealGM

Post#118 » by Susan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:44 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

It's called common sense. And I suspect that your anti-UFC stance (shocker) isn't simply due to not knowing what protocols they have in place.

They ran an event without any protocols.

Dana isn't gunna marry you, bro.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#119 » by REDDzone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:46 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Meh, I defend the UFC all the time. I just don't defend them in every single situation blindly. But yea, keep making unfounded assumptions and calling everyone else irrational. "But the WWE is doing it!" :lol:
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#120 » by GetBuLLish » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:55 pm

Susan wrote:They ran an event without any protocols.

I don't know what you're referring to. Are you talking about the Brazil event they just had, where not a single fighter contracted the virus?

Dana isn't gunna marry you, bro.

Hell yeah, bro! Eff the UFC and Dana! Bunch of corporate shills!

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts