Re: Ufc 249 

Post#141 » by Jasen777 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:08 am

WSOF Never Die!
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#142 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun May 10, 2020 6:57 am

I can't believe Werdum lost man, I know there was a long lay off but I really thought he was the lock of the night. Best to retire after that loss, he's supposed to better than Olienik in every facet, he arguably won, but it shouldn't have been that close.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#143 » by Headliner » Sun May 10, 2020 10:14 am

I can’t believe Cringe retired
Is he angling for more money? Or legit.

If legit, man he really needed 1 or 2 more names to his list and he could be goat contender...maybe he is already I don’t know
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#144 » by Headliner » Sun May 10, 2020 10:51 am

Khabibs fans are the worst, they are the Knicks fans of mma.
Reading twitter is like wading in the sewer.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Post#145 » by Susan » Sun May 10, 2020 1:49 pm

Dunno how Khabib beats JG.

So sad for Tony. What a man. What a style and he never got his moment.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#146 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Damn, that Tony fight was stopped way too late. Where is the commission, where are the doctors? There was accumulated damage going into the 5th that should have stopped it. They stop boxing matches while a fighter is on their feet all the time (but not enough). This is a dude with a history of mental health problems sustaining a prolonged beating that slowly accumulated. Those 4th and 5th round shots are to a damaged, swollen head. I don't know when he's going to be back. He's 36.

Put a damper on the whole event, IMO. Tough to watch that 4th and 5th.

But, damn, you don't need all that spinning **** if you just throw protein and potatoes boxing combos. All Justin did was trust that traditional combos find their target. And they did. Tony, meanwhile, only had fortune when he himself threw 1-2s.

Tony has those combos, too. You could see all the way back to his UF days that he could really punch in combo.
Easy for me to say now, after Tony wins 10+ fights doing whirling dervishes. I grant.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#147 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Cringe beat Cringe in cringeworth fashion. That was really exciting. I think Peterson stepped in at a moment after like 7-8 ground shots where Dom collapsed onto his cheek, only to then have him show a little life before Peterson got there. Questionable, yeah.

CringeC just didn't get frustrated with Dom. He was not going to chase him. And I bet confidence coming from his patience in waiting-out Marlon helped.

I don't believe the retirement for a second.
Susan
RealGM

Post#148 » by Susan » Sun May 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Read on Twitter
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#149 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Can't believe Stephens got KOd like that, and he even acknowledged it. It looked like he was going to contest the stoppage but he then went down to his knees. Must have been really hurt. You love to see it. "Broken" is one word.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#150 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Pettis was so relaxed.

I was surprised Cowboy didn't try to use footwork and a jab to get him squared up and languishing on the fence. It seems Pettis has had a mental block about trying to conserve energy by retreating to the fence. But Cowboy let him off the hook multiple times, allowing him to circle back to the center. Pettis clearly won all three rounds minus the TDs. Glad no one got hurt.
Susan
RealGM

Post#151 » by Susan » Sun May 10, 2020 2:37 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Damn, that Tony fight was stopped way too late. Where is the commission, where are the doctors? There was accumulated damage going into the 5th that should have stopped it. They stop boxing matches while a fighter is on their feet all the time (but not enough). This is a dude with a history of mental health problems sustaining a prolonged beating that slowly accumulated. Those 4th and 5th round shots are to a damaged, swollen head. I don't know when he's going to be back. He's 36.

Put a damper on the whole event, IMO. Tough to watch that 4th and 5th.

But, damn, you don't need all that spinning **** if you just throw protein and potatoes boxing combos. All Justin did was trust that traditional combos find their target. And they did. Tony, meanwhile, only had fortune when he himself threw 1-2s.

Tony has those combos, too. You could see all the way back to his UF days that he could really punch in combo.
Easy for me to say now, after Tony wins 10+ fights doing whirling dervishes. I grant.

I just feel so bad for Tony. He came up at the same time as Connor/Khabib and stuck around and risked it all on short notice against a certified KILLER.

McGregor wants NOTHING to do with JG. Khabib is going to seriously struggle to get close to JG. Dustin would seriously struggle with this version of Justin.

Can't think of another fighter who went from fighting like Wanderlei Silva on crack to this brilliant, cautious but still technically violent fighter. His transformation is unlike any other. If he dispatches of Tony, Khabib and Conor back to back to back, that's going to be the greatest run in the history of the sport. With his new style, it's a forgone conclusion. Don't know who touches him.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#152 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 10, 2020 2:43 pm

So it's definitely JG vs Khabib. I'm not as confident as you that Khabib can't steamroll him. JG has the best hips in the game, including his sprawl, but he's admitted that he's terrified of the cardio toll that comes with wrestling. So he might be able to defend against TDs but if it gets to the ground? Is he going to be super self-conscious and nervous about committing to the strikes?
Susan
RealGM

Post#153 » by Susan » Sun May 10, 2020 2:52 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:So it's definitely JG vs Khabib. I'm not as confident as you that Khabib can't steamroll him. JG has the best hips in the game, including his sprawl, but he's admitted that he's terrified of the cardio toll that comes with wrestling. So he might be able to defend against TDs but if it gets to the ground? Is he going to be super self-conscious and nervous about committing to the strikes?

With Ramadan and the pandemic, give me Conor/JG first. JG/Khabib deserves to be the biggest, baddest fight it can be and I think feeding Conor to JG throws ample gasoline onto the Gaejthe fire.

Maybe by then I'll get confident in spelling his last name.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#154 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 10, 2020 3:23 pm

LOL. Cruz obliquely mentioning that Peterson smelled of booze and cigarettes. What a class act.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#155 » by Headliner » Sun May 10, 2020 3:56 pm

Susan wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:So it's definitely JG vs Khabib. I'm not as confident as you that Khabib can't steamroll him. JG has the best hips in the game, including his sprawl, but he's admitted that he's terrified of the cardio toll that comes with wrestling. So he might be able to defend against TDs but if it gets to the ground? Is he going to be super self-conscious and nervous about committing to the strikes?

With Ramadan and the pandemic, give me Conor/JG first. JG/Khabib deserves to be the biggest, baddest fight it can be and I think feeding Conor to JG throws ample gasoline onto the Gaejthe fire.

Nooooooo
Khabib has to fight people, I’m so tired of him and the Russian twitter mob putting his face on mount Rushmore without really having names under his belt.
He already successfully avoided Tony now, I can’t handle the thought of Conor beat JG and Khabib getting to avoid him and beating Conor again, as though that’s a huge win.

I need to see Khabib actually fight contenders
Susan
RealGM

Post#156 » by Susan » Sun May 10, 2020 4:14 pm

Headliner wrote:
Susan wrote:

Nooooooo
Khabib has to fight people, I’m so tired of him and the Russian twitter mob putting his face on mount Rushmore without really having names under his belt.
He already successfully avoided Tony now, I can’t handle the thought of Conor beat JG and Khabib getting to avoid him and beating Conor again, as though that’s a huge win.

I need to see Khabib actually fight contenders

That Tony fight was just literally cursed. Don't know how else to cut it. Who's he avoided to fight at 155 outside of Tony?

He dispatched of Dustin with the greatest of ease.

I don't see Conor holding up against Justin.

I'd be cool with Tony/Conor, Khabib/Justin too. Maybe give the world Tony/Nate.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by Headliner » Sun May 10, 2020 4:52 pm

He’s avoided Tony, which is really the one that mattered and should have been his legacy fight.

He’s clinging to wins against crap fighters to fill out a flimsy top 5 names.
Dustin
Conor
RDA
They are his only meaningful fights. Two boxers and a JJ/MT guy.

After that you’re talking
Barbosa, (5-5 in the 10 fights before and after khabib)
Al Iaquinta isn’t worth mentioning.
Michael Jonson is something like 2-7 in the 10 fights surrounding the Khabib one. He’s not even near a top 10 guy.

Don’t get me wrong, Khabib is good and deserves to be considered as a good champ, but putting him as pound for pound champ or all time top 5 is a joke. He’s beat one guy to ever hold a belt, after he was off doing a boxing match for a year plus. He needed Tony, he needs Justin and he needs another name to be even in the world of conversation.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,889

Post#158 » by Duke4life831 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Susan wrote:

Khabib says he'll be ready to fight by late July. That's 2 months from now, I highly doubt Gaethje wants a 2 month turnaround to fight Khabib. So Ramadan will have no effect on when that fight takes place. My guess is they probably fight September.

Khabib vs Gaethje and Tony vs Conor makes all the sense in the world.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#159 » by Dupp » Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Susan wrote:

Khabib says he'll be ready to fight by late July. That's 2 months from now, I highly doubt Gaethje wants a 2 month turnaround to fight Khabib. So Ramadan will have no effect on when that fight takes place. My guess is they probably fight September.

Khabib vs Gaethje and Tony vs Conor makes all the sense in the world.

The only thing with that doesn’t Connor want to fight soon? Maybe the wait for tony will be too long and he fights someone else first ?
The Warrior
Head Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#160 » by The Warrior » Sun May 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Headliner wrote:He’s avoided Tony, which is really the one that mattered and should have been his legacy fight.

He’s clinging to wins against crap fighters to fill out a flimsy top 5 names.
Dustin
Conor
RDA
They are his only meaningful fights. Two boxers and a JJ/MT guy.

After that you’re talking
Barbosa, (5-5 in the 10 fights before and after khabib)
Al Iaquinta isn’t worth mentioning.
Michael Jonson is something like 2-7 in the 10 fights surrounding the Khabib one. He’s not even near a top 10 guy.

Don’t get me wrong, Khabib is good and deserves to be considered as a good champ, but putting him as pound for pound champ or all time top 5 is a joke. He’s beat one guy to ever hold a belt, after he was off doing a boxing match for a year plus. He needed Tony, he needs Justin and he needs another name to be even in the world of conversation.
He has not been avoiding Tony...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts