Back Alley brawl: Zion vs McGregor who wins?

Moderator: lilfishi22

Who wins the fight? Zion or McGregor

Zion in KO
25%
McGregor in KO
75%

Total votes: 658

M4P
Analyst
And1: 1,640

Re: Back Alley brawl: Zion vs McGregor who wins? 

Post#1081 » by M4P » Thu Mar 4, 2021 11:36 pm

REDDzone wrote:How big does a UFC champion have to be before they could beat up an NBA player? Could Kumaru do it? How about Izzy? Jones?
false comparison. Kumaru, Jones, and Izzy all walk around 200+ and are easily over 6'. Kumaru and Jones are also levels above Conor in grappling and being able to control someone when standing or on the ground.

10" in height and 100lbs makes a difference.
HoopsMalone wrote:Shaq would still have value... But to think he'd be anywhere near as dominant as he was in the post era is just ridiculous

jahlil okafor has some of the best post moves in the last 30 years and the dude can't even get on the floor
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1082 » by REDDzone » Thu Mar 4, 2021 11:38 pm

M4P wrote:
REDDzone wrote:How big does a UFC champion have to be before they could beat up an NBA player? Could Kumaru do it? How about Izzy? Jones?
false comparison. Kumaru, Jones, and Izzy all walk around 200+ and are easily over 6'.

Kumaru stated he walks around 185-190 and he's listed at 6'0 which probably means he's 5'10.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
M4P
Analyst

Post#1083 » by M4P » Thu Mar 4, 2021 11:42 pm

REDDzone wrote:
M4P wrote:
false comparison. Kumaru, Jones, and Izzy all walk around 200+ and are easily over 6'.

Kumaru stated he walks around 185-190 and he's listed at 6'0 which probably means he's 5'10.
considering the fact that he's contemplating moving up to middleweight if Izzy fully vacates, and by most people's eyes when observing Kumaru vs most other welterweights that's false. Dustin and Khabib walk at ~190@5'9/5'10ish for size reference.
HoopsMalone wrote:Shaq would still have value... But to think he'd be anywhere near as dominant as he was in the post era is just ridiculous

jahlil okafor has some of the best post moves in the last 30 years and the dude can't even get on the floor
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1084 » by REDDzone » Thu Mar 4, 2021 11:48 pm

M4P wrote:
REDDzone wrote:
M4P wrote:false comparison. Kumaru, Jones, and Izzy all walk around 200+ and are easily over 6'.

considering the fact that he's contemplating moving up to middleweight if Izzy fully vacates, and by most people's eyes when observing Kumaru vs most other welterweights that's false. Dustin and Khabib walk at ~190@5'9/5'10ish for size reference.

Yea he's definitely not moving up to MW, but the point you're missing is that 200 lbs isn't some magical number where you learn how to fight.

Ahhh Khabib and Dustin...two others who would dribble Zion's head like a basketball.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
M4P
Analyst

Post#1085 » by M4P » Thu Mar 4, 2021 11:53 pm

REDDzone wrote:
M4P wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Yea he's definitely not moving up to MW, but the point you're missing is that 200 lbs isn't some magical number where you learn how to fight.

Ahhh Khabib and Dustin...two others who would dribble Zion's head like a basketball.

The point you're missing is that an elite athlete who has 10" in height, 10"+ in reach, and 100+lbs while still maintaining, if not surpassing, the same level of athleticism and explosiveness as a shorter, arguably more inferior athlete is going to be able to hold his own in an alleyway brawl with training. The fact that you're still using sporting context for your comparisons shows your lack of knowledge in the sport.

REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1086 » by REDDzone » Thu Mar 4, 2021 11:54 pm

I'm going to bow out of this argument because I've been wrapped up into way too many of these over the years. I actually agree with the spirit of what you're saying...Zion with like a year of dedication would absolutely destroy 99.99% of the population, including dudes who have been training for 10x the amount of time. But the problem is these guys are professional athletes whose entire career is fighting. And not like, oh they love it type of way, but in a "they have trained for decades and are literally so good at it that people pay them millions of dollars to do it" type of way. A size difference alone isn't going to make up for that.
M4P
Analyst

Post#1087 » by M4P » Fri Mar 5, 2021 12:00 am

REDDzone wrote:I'm going to bow out of this argument because I've been wrapped up into way too many of these over the years. I actually agree with the spirit of what you're saying...Zion with like a year of dedication would absolutely destroy 99% of the population, including dudes who have been training for 10x the amount of time. But the problem is these guys are professional athletes whose entire career is fighting. And not like, oh they love it type of way, but in a "they have trained for decades and are literally so good at it that people pay them millions of dollars to do it" type of way. A size difference alone isn't going to make up for that.
it's not just a "size" difference. Zion is arguably the better athlete WITH size. That is a huge multiplier, especially in brawls on concrete.

Again ask yourself whether or not a full grown man in his prime with novice training would be able to take out a trained, pubescent female teen in a brawl. On concrete. That is the scenario context. Not sport.

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1088 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Mar 5, 2021 1:23 am

The problem is everyone thinks they can fight. I have no idea who Zion is but if he's some 300lb ridiculous athlete who recognized the skill gap and that he just needs to mug the MMA fighter, fine, he has a shot. But he - like everyone - is going to think he can stand and punch, and he's going to get KTFO. The MMAer just needs to feint, let this dude lurch, and then murder him.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1089 » by REDDzone » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:30 am

I guess this really boils down to how long Zion would have to train to beat a lightweight fighter. Zion is young enough at 20 that we can probably agree that there exists an amount of time in the sport if he transitioned fully to mma that he could beat a 55er. Like, Travis Browne was a basketball player who transitioned to MMA and would have beaten a lw for sure lol. The question is how long it would take. The answer certainly isn't "zero days because of athleticism bro".
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,787

Post#1090 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:53 am

M4P wrote:
false comparison. Kumaru, Jones, and Izzy all walk around 200+ and are easily over 6'. Kumaru and Jones are also levels above Conor in grappling and being able to control someone when standing or on the ground.

What about Khabib vs Zion? Who do you think wins that? 5'10, walks around 185-190. Does Zion just out athlete Khabib?
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Post#1091 » by Susan » Fri Mar 5, 2021 5:58 am

Colby vs LeBron! Give the people what they want!
Susan
RealGM

Post#1092 » by Susan » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:01 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
M4P wrote:

What about Khabib vs Zion? Who do you think wins that? 5'10, walks around 185-190. Does Zion just out athlete Khabib?

Can you get unretired so I can make an "WHAT POSITION WOULD IZZY START AT IF HE PLAYED BASKETBALL FOR THE WARRIORS?" thread.

Thx.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1093 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:04 am

Susan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
M4P wrote:false comparison. Kumaru, Jones, and Izzy all walk around 200+ and are easily over 6'. Kumaru and Jones are also levels above Conor in grappling and being able to control someone when standing or on the ground.

Can you get unretired so I can make an "WHAT POSITION WOULD IZZY START AT IF HE PLAYED BASKETBALL FOR THE WARRIORS?" thread.

Thx.

Haha I saw your post saying that. And ya if I was still a General Board Mod, I would've done it haha.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1094 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:06 am

Susan wrote:

The funny thing is, Im sure the vast majority of basketball fans would think LeBron would crush him haha. Colby ragdolls LeBron with ease.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1095 » by Susan » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:08 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Susan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Thx.

Haha I saw your post saying that. And ya if I was still a General Board Mod, I would've done it haha.

If we just make the thread and all talk stupid about it for 50+ pages, maybe it'll just happen on its own.

Either way, this is our thread now.
M4P
Analyst

Post#1096 » by M4P » Fri Mar 5, 2021 9:06 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
M4P wrote:

Are you implying that Conor and Khabib have the same skill set? Because Khabib is 1/1, and pretty easily wins that matchup on the street. This comparison is specific to blue belt Zion vs current Conor.

M4P
Analyst

Post#1097 » by M4P » Fri Mar 5, 2021 9:07 am

Susan wrote:

I'd actually buy that PPV. Colby would ragdoll LeBron, in the octagon or on the street. Pretty easily too.

But in all seriousness you need to have an expert level of gi grappling and overall expertise to survive when you're giving up 100lbs+,12" of reach, and 10" of height. To thrive, you literally need to be 1% of the 99th percentile. Guys like Rener like to say for every 20lbs you add a belt rank, but there's layers and multipliers that go along with it. Current Conor does not have that same pedigree of grappling as Khabib, Usman, Colby, Jones, etc. because that's not who is or what made him great.

Susan
RealGM

Post#1098 » by Susan » Fri Mar 5, 2021 1:18 pm

M4P wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
M4P wrote:false comparison. Kumaru, Jones, and Izzy all walk around 200+ and are easily over 6'. Kumaru and Jones are also levels above Conor in grappling and being able to control someone when standing or on the ground.

Are you implying that Conor and Khabib have the same skill set? Because Khabib is 1/1, and pretty easily wins that matchup on the street. This comparison is specific to blue belt Zion vs current Conor.

OK while we're making up hypotheticals, say Zion was actually a multiple time ADCC Champ but still had zero striking. How many dozen seconds would it take for big Francis to KO him dead?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1099 » by REDDzone » Fri Mar 5, 2021 1:58 pm

What if Conor had six months of basketball practice?
Susan
RealGM

Post#1100 » by Susan » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:21 pm

REDDzone wrote:What if Conor had six months of basketball practice?

Would Derrick Lewis completely dominate Draymond Green in the post? Probably.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts