Read on Twitter

Somebody is gonna die.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,332

Re: Mike Tyson Making Comeback 

Post#2 » by Shaazzam » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:48 pm

Ugh, I worshiped these guys when I was a kid.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,914

Post#3 » by Jasen777 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Sounds like it's not going to be all out. Which is good I suppose...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/7/23/21335853/mike-tyson-returns-to-face-roy-jones-jr-in-8-round-exhibition-match

Tyson and Jones Jr. are expected to sport 12-ounce gloves and will need to be medically cleared in order to make the bout official. Yahoo reported they will not wear headgear.

“They’re just going to be in there moving around and letting fans see these legends,” Andy Foster, who oversees the California State Athletic Commission that will regulate the event, told MMA Fighting.

Could get people like Jake Paul and Nate Robinson on the undercard.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,896

Post#4 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:27 am

Wasn't George Foreman around that age when he made his 17th comeback and won something or other? I remember him looking like an old man but clubbing some guys brutally. Tyson has no doubt lost tons of things to age - speed, endurance, agility, etc. - but one thing he may not have lost that much of is his knockout power.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#5 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:57 pm

But Foreman didn't rely on athleticism or speed. He just occupied the space between him and his opponent with an open palm and smashed down arm punches. He barely even had to turn his hips. One of the most unique styles ever...and definitely built for longevity, if any style is.

In contrast, these might be the two most prominent fighters to ever rely on reflex, athleticism and speed.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#6 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:39 pm

Jasen777 wrote:Sounds like it's not going to be all out. Which is good I suppose...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/7/23/21335853/mike-tyson-returns-to-face-roy-jones-jr-in-8-round-exhibition-match

Tyson and Jones Jr. are expected to sport 12-ounce gloves and will need to be medically cleared in order to make the bout official. Yahoo reported they will not wear headgear.

“They’re just going to be in there moving around and letting fans see these legends,” Andy Foster, who oversees the California State Athletic Commission that will regulate the event, told MMA Fighting.

Wow! I threw money on Roy Jones as the underdog when this announced because I figured he had way less time off, thinking it was actually going to be a legit fight!

I’m about to lose my money to some rigged, exhibition bout? But then I heard there’s no judges, fight must end in a stoppage?

Hoping Tyson comes in looking like he did against that tall ass Irish guy that he collected a paycheque to lose to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Clutch0z24
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Jasen777 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:15 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:I’m about to lose my money to some rigged, exhibition bout? But then I heard there’s no judges, fight must end in a stoppage?

So a draw after 8 rounds of sparring?
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#8 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:11 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:

Wow! I threw money on Roy Jones as the underdog when this announced because I figured he had way less time off, thinking it was actually going to be a legit fight!

I’m about to lose my money to some rigged, exhibition bout? But then I heard there’s no judges, fight must end in a stoppage?

Hoping Tyson comes in looking like he did against that tall ass Irish guy that he collected a paycheque to lose to

How are they taking bets on this at all?? It's an exhibition bout not a competition: there is no knockout (as in, a knockout would not 'win' you the fight here anymore than a KO would win you the next Bulls-Sixers game), they will be actively dissuaded by the ref from throwing KO blows, and no matter what happens both their arms will be raised.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#9 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:12 am

Jasen777 wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:I’m about to lose my money to some rigged, exhibition bout? But then I heard there’s no judges, fight must end in a stoppage?

So a draw after 8 rounds of sparring?

That's all an exhibition bout is.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#10 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:25 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:Sounds like it's not going to be all out. Which is good I suppose...

Wait, you bet on a Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr exhibition match?

You might have a gambling problem bro. :lol:
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#11 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:12 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

How are they taking bets on this at all?? It's an exhibition bout not a competition: there is no knockout (as in, a knockout would not 'win' you the fight here anymore than a KO would win you the next Bulls-Sixers game), they will be actively dissuaded by the ref from throwing KO blows, and no matter what happens both their arms will be raised.

A better question is what don’t they take bets on. If they take bets on Icelandic soccer and Russian Pingpong, they’re going to take this on too. Lol

Thank you Clutch0z24
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#12 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:14 am

REDDzone wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

Wait, you bet on a Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr exhibition match?

You might have a gambling problem bro. :lol:

Lol combat sports and gambling just goes so hand in hand for me, they talk about odds and bets all the time on the broadcast, I just think it’s part of the fun of the sport.

Floyd and Tenshin was even offered before!

He is a +115 underdog and I threw 87 bucks to win 100, nothing crazy, but here I am thinking I made a smart bet because i thought he’d be a heavy favourite.

But now I realize it’s that way because this will be a draw

Thank you Clutch0z24
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#13 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:46 pm

Depends how technical the book wants to play it: in some sense, it will either be a draw or a DQ, with no other possible option. Maybe the book awards a win if someone KOs the other guy...even, though, I think that would actually mean a DQ?
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Jasen777 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:59 am

Co-Main event: Youtuber Jake Paul vs. ex-NBA player Nate Robinson.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#15 » by JohnPferdelack » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:56 am

Jasen777 wrote:Co-Main event: Youtuber Jake Paul vs. ex-NBA player Nate Robinson.

:banghead:
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Jasen777 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:34 am

Legit not sure if Askren could beat Jake Paul in a boxing match.
M4P
Analyst
And1: 1,640

Post#17 » by M4P » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:03 am

How is Mike the underdog. He's straight outclassing Roy.
HoopsMalone wrote:Shaq would still have value... But to think he'd be anywhere near as dominant as he was in the post era is just ridiculous

jahlil okafor has some of the best post moves in the last 30 years and the dude can't even get on the floor
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,924

Post#18 » by TGW » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:19 am

This is a shockingly entertaining fight
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#19 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:56 am

That was bull. I had Tyson up by 3-4 rounds.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Jasen777 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:02 am

Nemesis21 wrote:That was bull. I had Tyson up by 3-4 rounds.

As an exhibition draw was always going to be the result. Literally in the rules.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts