The OFFICIAL Paul Brothers Boxing Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Re: The OFFICIAL Paul Brothers Boxing Thread 

Post#241 » by Susan » Wed Sep 1, 2021 4:38 pm

Dupp wrote:So I was catching up on mma hour and caugh woodleys one on one interview with Ariel before the fight. Man, dude was so confident. Looking and feeling good. No big weight cut. Honestly sounded like the best he’s felt coming into a fight since he first started fighting.

Unfortunately it didn’t pan out. Not sure what else he could do. Apparently he was fitter than ever too. He just doesn’t have the combos and confidence to let fly. Jab, right cross. Very basic stuff. His jab isn’t even threatening so really there’s only on punc to worry about for jake.

Anyway. I never watched Woodley when he was champ so can someone explain to me how he was champion and so good? I’ve seen all his recent losses since usman and nothing really before. Like what changed? Did he decline in certain areas? Because watching him fight he doesn’t give a former champ vibe with his skill set or heart for lack of a better word.

Post GSP 170 was interesting:

There was the wave of Diaz, Lawler, Hendricks, Condit, Jake Shields and Fitch who were all fairly close to one another. You then had Maia, Woodley, Rory and Wonderboy as the 4 guys who were coming up following them and guys like Josh Koscheck who were clearly on their downward spiral.

Rory was the best early on - beating both Maia and Woodley but the fight between Lawler/Rory really took a bit out of Lawler and REALLY took a bit out of Rory.

Lawler had epic wars against Hendricks (2x), Condit and Rory that left him fighting in a style that wasn't sustainable for much longer.

Woodley came through and was the perfect mix of TDD and raw KO power to make short order of a somewhat washed Lawler. Before that, he blew out Condit's knee in impression fashion.

He then faced off against very boring stylistic matchups in Maia/Wonderboy in his next 3 fights. Wonderboy/Woodley was a dance where both guys looked to counter shot each other and Woodley snoozed his way to defending the belt. Maia/Woodley was another snooze fest in which Woodley just looked to sprawl and box Maia to a decision. Avoiding the ground at all costs and inflicting damage on K1 Maia was the blueprint that everybody else would use to beat Maia in the coming years.

Woodley/Till was weird, don't know what that was tbh, Till

The next wave of 170 guys were more technical at boxing than Woodley, while Woodley aged out of his elite power and those other guys (Usman, Colby and Burns) all mixed in offensive grappling better and fought at a pace that an aged Woodley couldn't handle and he was a sitting duck.

He was a good strategist who fended off an impressive Wonderboy/Maia, rolled through the old guard in short order (Lawler/Condit/Jay Heiron), had a few setbacks early on (Nate Marquart and him had a crazy firefight that he lost, Jake Shields got a controversial win over him and Rory beat him down pretty badly).
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#242 » by Dupp » Wed Sep 1, 2021 8:33 pm

Actually I have seen the till fight also. I might have a look at the wonder boy Fights because I am curious. Like a can’t imagine Woodley being able to stand with wonder boy at all. At the same time I’ve never really seen Woodley do any good with his wrestling. Granted Colby And usman are great there but still it’s still really strange to me Woodley was a champion.

On a side note I still need to watch the Rory/lawyer fights. Been on the list for a while.
Susan
RealGM

Post#243 » by Susan » Thu Sep 2, 2021 2:15 am

Dupp wrote:Actually I have seen the till fight also. I might have a look at the wonder boy Fights because I am curious. Like a can’t imagine Woodley being able to stand with wonder boy at all. At the same time I’ve never really seen Woodley do any good with his wrestling. Granted Colby And usman are great there but still it’s still really strange to me Woodley was a champion.

On a side note I still need to watch the Rory/lawyer fights. Been on the list for a while.

Watch one of em at 2x speed.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#244 » by REDDzone » Thu Sep 2, 2021 3:49 pm

Dupp wrote:Actually I have seen the till fight also. I might have a look at the wonder boy Fights because I am curious. Like a can’t imagine Woodley being able to stand with wonder boy at all. At the same time I’ve never really seen Woodley do any good with his wrestling. Granted Colby And usman are great there but still it’s still really strange to me Woodley was a champion.

IIRC, and its possible I'm not, but the first Wonderboy/Woodley fight was boring except one exchange and the second was boring period. Maia/Woodley was pretty boring too.

Like I said, Woodley was pulling Woodleys even when he was champion.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,133
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

The OFFICIAL Paul Brothers Boxing Thread 

Post#245 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Sep 7, 2021 8:27 pm

Woodley is pretty good at not taking a lot of damage, while also having enough counter power to wobble wonderboy. He basically sat and waited for one punch to land and won both times. Wonderboy was also a bit leery, and both fights ended up pretty boring.

Woodley fights a lot more like a guy trying ro not get knocked out, than a guy trying to finish. Even when he was a lot faster and more powerful than he is at 39. I felt like he had a ton of chances to finish Maia and was content to just stuff takedowns and win on that and a few punches.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Susan
RealGM

Post#246 » by Susan » Thu Sep 9, 2021 2:29 am

Read on Twitter

OK - this is now our freakshow fight thread.

Vitor (aggressively on the juice), Holyfield (who is 59) and Trump commentating (who is maybe the last person outside of Tito Ortiz I'd want to have commentating my event - but I'll stream because this is a gigantic ****)

Anderson/Tito also on the card, please Spider, kill em.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#247 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Sep 9, 2021 12:34 pm

The Trump commentating is just an alternative commentating stream. You've got a Jim Lampley stream as well.

I actually have to respect Ex Mayor Pro Tem Tito for taking this. Anderson should wipe the floor with him. A KO would be great. Send him back to city council.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,315

Post#248 » by Shaazzam » Thu Sep 9, 2021 2:28 pm

oh wow, i didnt notice anderson and tito
cmon andy, batter that fool
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Susan
RealGM

Post#249 » by Susan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:56 am

cowboyronnie wrote:The Trump commentating is just an alternative commentating stream. You've got a Jim Lampley stream as well.

I actually have to respect Ex Mayor Pro Tem Tito for taking this. Anderson should wipe the floor with him. A KO would be great. Send him back to city council.

Can we keep him in our MMA bubble instead?

But that last line really cracked me up.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#250 » by Dupp » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:45 am

Jorge joining trump for the commentary or something. So dumb
Dupp
RealGM

Post#251 » by Dupp » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:02 am

Should this guy be fighting?

Read on Twitter
?s=21
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#252 » by REDDzone » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Evander vs Chuck or GTFO.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#253 » by Headliner » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:29 am

Schuab said on his podcast that he was at an event in 2017 that Holyfield was at and he had to have a handler help him get around the building from place to place.

Then I watch that video above…this is down right scary.
No way he should be taking anymore damage to his brain.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#254 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:06 am

Susan wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:The Trump commentating is just an alternative commentating stream. You've got a Jim Lampley stream as well.

Can we keep him in our MMA bubble instead?

But that last line really cracked me up.

Hey, Tito, don't quit your day job.

Oh wait.

(Amirite?)
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,760

Post#255 » by spykelee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:25 am

Lmao!! That was the funniest **** ever. Tito unloading and landing nothing and Anderson lands one counter shot and ko's him. Reminds me of that Forrest Griffin K.O from years ago
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,133
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#256 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:10 am

Forget records, wins and losses, titles, era differences.

Anderson is the GOAT and always will be. It’s always gonna be Spidertime

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,884

Post#257 » by Los_29 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:46 am

Sanctioning this Holyfield/Belfort fight is an absolute disgrace.
Susan
RealGM

Post#258 » by Susan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:13 am

Read on Twitter
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,912

Post#259 » by Jasen777 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:39 am

Los_29 wrote:Sanctioning this Holyfield/Belfort fight is an absolute disgrace.

I hadn't realized that California had refused to do so (because they didn't have time to evaluate Holyfield) and they moved the whole event to Florida.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#260 » by Dupp » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:52 am

Obvious results are obvious

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts