BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Re: The OFFICIAL Paul Brothers Boxing Thread 

Post#301 » by BlackThought » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:36 pm

Los_29 wrote:
BlackThought wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
Tyron Woodley was a UFC champion and Askren got viciously KO'd by one of the most popular UFC fighters in Jorge Masvidal. Askren and Woodley had names in MMA and were seen as a significant step up from fighting guys like KSI and Nate Robinson.

And no, Jake Paul fighting some no name boxer from the Ukraine or something isn't going to sell. Why in the world would he fight a legitimate pro boxer for a fraction of what he would make fighting UFC WW's? Why do you think he's trying to fight Fury? Fury has a big name and he's not a good boxer.

Jake Paul isn't going to fight a credible boxer because he's going to get starched (So I agree with you there). Trust me, he's going to milk this thing for awhile. He's already calling out Gamebred, he wants Diaz. He likely beats both those guys.

And who are you calling a casual? When did I say MMA fighters can box? Not many of them can but you're fooling yourself if you don't think some can. It's abundantly clear who the casual is. You don't even know the backgrounds of MMA fighters.

Paul and Askren did 1.5 mil ppv buys, you are delusional if you think even a tenth of those buys came from Askren fans. People bought the fight because it's the first time that Paul is fighting an athlete that does combat sport. That's the draw, not the actual fighter. If Paul decides to fight an actual boxer, even a retired one with a name, it would do huge numbers because people want to see him lose.

My point is Paul is the main draw, the game is to fight guys that casual fans think might beat Paul but in reality likely wouldn't beat him. Fighting guys from the ufc is perfect because non boxing fans don't have a clue that those guys can't actually box. They see combat sports and just assume that it'll carry over. Fighting pro boxers is too risky because even an old roy jones would likely knock Paul the **** out, so it's a lose lose situation for Paul.

Your reading comprehension is astonishingly bad. Yes, people bought that fight because Askren was seen as a big step up in competition and people bought the first Woodley fight because it was seen as an even bigger step up in competition. You're fooling yourself if you think Woodley and Askren aren't big names in the sport. Woodley was a UFC champion and Askren got viciously KO'd by one of the most popular MMA fighters in the world in Masvidal. Both Woodley and Askren have big social media followings. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are big draws, they are most certainly not. However, they are way bigger draws then fighting some random pro boxer.

Yes, I agree, Paul is the main draw but there is far more money involved fighting UFC fighters than average pro boxers. The pro boxers that Paul could fight that would sell amazingly well would completely annihilate Paul inside 2-3 rounds. So he's clearly not going to fight them because that means the show is over. Yes, Paul fighting a decent pro boxer would sell okay. But Paul fighting a UFC fighter sells much better. Go look at the 25th ranked cruiserweight and tell me if you've ever heard of him. No you haven't because the cruiserweight division is completely dead in boxing. We are talking about a difference of 5-10 million fighting UFC guys as opposed to cruiserweight boxers.

And most MMA fighters cannot box. But some definitely can. The way you are wording it is as if ALL MMA fighters can't box. And I'm sure you know that's not true. If you aren't a casual you'd realize that though.

Let me connect the dots for you since you still don't get it.

People who bought the ppv are Jake Paul fans, not ufc fans.

Nobody outside of the UFC fan circle know who Ben Askren or Tyron Woodley is.

It's that simple, I don't understand how you are still confused about this. Big name in the sport? What sport lol? The people who actually bought the fight don't follow your sport. The evidence is that when Paul was fighting Nate Robinson and some other youtuber, he was doing similar numbers. He's fought 4 guys and so far he did 1 mil+ ppv on 3 of the fights.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#302 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:58 pm

^^ Paul vs Robinson was the b-side of a Mike Tyson-RJJ card, you dumb ****.

You think Paul gets credit not Mike Tyson???
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,829

Post#303 » by Los_29 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:18 pm

BlackThought wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
BlackThought wrote:
Paul and Askren did 1.5 mil ppv buys, you are delusional if you think even a tenth of those buys came from Askren fans. People bought the fight because it's the first time that Paul is fighting an athlete that does combat sport. That's the draw, not the actual fighter. If Paul decides to fight an actual boxer, even a retired one with a name, it would do huge numbers because people want to see him lose.

My point is Paul is the main draw, the game is to fight guys that casual fans think might beat Paul but in reality likely wouldn't beat him. Fighting guys from the ufc is perfect because non boxing fans don't have a clue that those guys can't actually box. They see combat sports and just assume that it'll carry over. Fighting pro boxers is too risky because even an old roy jones would likely knock Paul the **** out, so it's a lose lose situation for Paul.

Your reading comprehension is astonishingly bad. Yes, people bought that fight because Askren was seen as a big step up in competition and people bought the first Woodley fight because it was seen as an even bigger step up in competition. You're fooling yourself if you think Woodley and Askren aren't big names in the sport. Woodley was a UFC champion and Askren got viciously KO'd by one of the most popular MMA fighters in the world in Masvidal. Both Woodley and Askren have big social media followings. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are big draws, they are most certainly not. However, they are way bigger draws then fighting some random pro boxer.

Yes, I agree, Paul is the main draw but there is far more money involved fighting UFC fighters than average pro boxers. The pro boxers that Paul could fight that would sell amazingly well would completely annihilate Paul inside 2-3 rounds. So he's clearly not going to fight them because that means the show is over. Yes, Paul fighting a decent pro boxer would sell okay. But Paul fighting a UFC fighter sells much better. Go look at the 25th ranked cruiserweight and tell me if you've ever heard of him. No you haven't because the cruiserweight division is completely dead in boxing. We are talking about a difference of 5-10 million fighting UFC guys as opposed to cruiserweight boxers.

And most MMA fighters cannot box. But some definitely can. The way you are wording it is as if ALL MMA fighters can't box. And I'm sure you know that's not true. If you aren't a casual you'd realize that though.

It's that simple, I don't understand how you are still confused about this. Big name in the sport? What sport lol? The people who actually bought the fight don't follow your sport. The evidence is that when Paul was fighting Nate Robinson and some other youtuber, he was doing similar numbers. He's fought 4 guys and so far he did 1 mil+ ppv on 3 of the fights.

And once again, you are wrong. Yes, there are lots of casuals buying the PPV and Jake Paul is a draw in combat sports but look at the coverage for the Woodley/Paul fight. Every person who covers MMA was there. Even Bisping was doing the play by play for BT Sport. It has gotten a ton of coverage from the MMA world. UFC/MMA fans most certainly bought that PPV. A lot of them did. Far more UFC/MMA fans bought that PPV than boxing fans. Boxing fans don't give a crap about this circus. They are watching actual boxing events like Loma, Teo/Kambosos Jr, Fury/Wilder, Canelo/Plant, Porter/Tbud. They aren't watching some juiced up Disney Kid fight an undersized WW. What Paul is doing has zero relevance to the boxing world.

Look man, you are on record as saying that no one in the UFC could beat Paul in a boxing match. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and the fact that you don't realize how absurd that comment was is a testament to your combat sports knowledge or lack thereof. A 40 year old washed up WW took rounds off of Paul who is 25-30lbs heavier with a significantly longer reach and who is 15 years younger. You'd be very surprised at how many MMA fighters at MW and LHW and even WW could beat Paul in a boxing match.

Do you know who was on that card when Paul fought Robinson? Tyson/RJJ headlined that card. :lol: Not Paul/Robinson. No one even knew Paul was on that card until people actually bought the PPV. That was Tyson's PPV. It wasn't Paul's PPV. Tyson/RJJ gave Paul a platform and Paul to his credit has been able to sell himself well so much so that the MMA community continues to pay to see Paul fight because they want to see him lose. It's clear as day that Paul's best angle here is to go after MMA fighters because he knows MMA fans will pay to see him and that the MMA fighters he will be facing have somewhat of a name and are very beatable in boxing rules.
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#304 » by BlackThought » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:50 pm

Los_29 wrote:
BlackThought wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

And once again, you are wrong. Yes, there are lots of casuals buying the PPV and Jake Paul is a draw in combat sports but look at the coverage for the Woodley/Paul fight. Every person who covers MMA was there. Even Bisping was doing the play by play for BT Sport. It has gotten a ton of coverage from the MMA world. UFC/MMA fans most certainly bought that PPV. A lot of them did. Far more UFC/MMA fans bought that PPV than boxing fans. Boxing fans don't give a crap about this circus. They are watching actual boxing events like Loma, Teo/Kambosos Jr, Fury/Wilder, Canelo/Plant, Porter/Tbud. They aren't watching some juiced up Disney Kid fight an undersized WW. What Paul is doing has zero relevance to the boxing world.

Look man, you are on record as saying that no one in the UFC could beat Paul in a boxing match. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and the fact that you don't realize how absurd that comment was is a testament to your combat sports knowledge or lack thereof. A 40 year old washed up WW took rounds off of Paul who is 25-30lbs heavier with a significantly longer reach and who is 15 years younger. You'd be very surprised at how many MMA fighters at MW and LHW and even WW could beat Paul in a boxing match.

Do you know who was on that card when Paul fought Robinson? Tyson/RJJ headlined that card. :lol: Not Paul/Robinson. No one even knew Paul was on that card until people actually bought the PPV. That was Tyson's PPV. It wasn't Paul's PPV. Tyson/RJJ gave Paul a platform and Paul to his credit has been able to sell himself well so much so that the MMA community continues to pay to see Paul fight because they want to see him lose. It's clear as day that Paul's best angle here is to go after MMA fighters because he knows MMA fans will pay to see him and that the MMA fighters he will be facing have somewhat of a name and are very beatable in boxing rules.

I will agree that the tyson/rjj card might be the main draw of that card, but there was a lot of buzz about the robinson/paul fight amongst general sport viewers and Paul fans. It's hard to say how much of those ppv bought it for Paul, but to say nobody knows he was on the card? come on.

I am by no way praising Paul's boxing skills, I am saying that I have not been impressed with any ufc fighters boxing skills in the fights I've seen, which includes conor, silva, askren, woodley. I have watched my share of ufc fights and I don't think most of them knows how to box at least nowhere close to the pro level.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#305 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:33 am

BlackThought wrote:I will agree that the tyson/rjj card might be the main draw of that card, but there was a lot of buzz about the robinson/paul fight amongst general sport viewers and Paul fans. It's hard to say how much of those ppv bought it for Paul, but to say nobody knows he was on the card? come on.

I am by no way praising Paul's boxing skills, I am saying that I have not been impressed with any ufc fighters boxing skills in the fights I've seen, which includes conor, silva, askren, woodley. I have watched my share of ufc fights and I don't think most of them knows how to box at least nowhere close to the pro level.

Yeah, Tyson 'might' have been the main draw. MAYBE. Maybe the man who had previously headlined fights that accrued LITERALLY BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF PPV REVENUE had something to do with the buy rates on this.

Yet, you cited it as your - only - piece of evidence for how Paul can pull ALONE (i.e. without MMA fighters).
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#306 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:37 am

BlackThought wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
BlackThought wrote:

I will agree that the tyson/rjj card might be the main draw of that card, but there was a lot of buzz about the robinson/paul fight amongst general sport viewers and Paul fans. It's hard to say how much of those ppv bought it for Paul, but to say nobody knows he was on the card? come on.

There are actual UFC fighters in Paul's exact weight class (185 lbs) with extensive pro boxing experience. Namely, Adesanya and Pereirra.

Further, Bob Whitaker is at 185 and would absolutely destroy Paul. With his lead hand alone.

Everyone knew that Woodley sucked at boxing. He never used his left, not for jabs, not for hooks. Nothing. He just added a right overhand to the motion of a wrestling shot. Naturally, he could not hang in actual boxing. But Whitaker, Adesanya, and Pereirra? They'd run through Paul.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#307 » by Susan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:40 pm

Read on Twitter
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#308 » by Dupp » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:43 am

Woodley Paul 2 only did 100 k ppv buys (65 k non digital)… That’s terrible. They probably lost a tonne of money and Jake probably wants his watch back.
Susan
RealGM

Post#309 » by Susan » Sat Jan 8, 2022 12:00 am

Read on Twitter
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#310 » by REDDzone » Sat Jan 8, 2022 4:57 am

Not a good start lol.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#311 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Jan 8, 2022 10:30 pm

A totally adequate start. We are all used to kicking soccer balls and punting footballs, he's clearly defined this movement.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#312 » by REDDzone » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:51 pm

Probz the worst start ever tbh.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#313 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:27 am

Actually probz the next Cro Cop

Wait an see who is right
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#314 » by REDDzone » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:54 pm

You really think he's gonna fight MMA? I assumed this was just to troll Dana tbh.

I can't remember which Paul brother got clowned and subbed by AJ Agazarm in MMA, I always figured both would stay TF away after that. Agazarm isn't exactly a world beater, granted that was awhile back.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#315 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:35 pm

He might fight on some triller show where he does an MMA match against a boxer from the 145 division or something. He's not going to fight anyone relevant or at his weight.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#316 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Jun 2, 2022 7:21 am

55 year old Butterbean angling for a Jake Paul fight. I'd actually be on board with that one, no way he takes it though lol. If we're going freakshow, lets go full freak.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#317 » by Dupp » Thu Jun 2, 2022 10:26 pm

Butter bean hit beaten up by Johnny Knoxville.
Susan
RealGM

Post#318 » by Susan » Thu Jun 9, 2022 8:34 pm

It's gunna suck when this thread gets moved to the Current Affairs board because the Paul Brothers are our President and Vice President in 20 years.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#319 » by REDDzone » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:23 pm

Susan wrote:It's gunna suck when this thread gets moved to the Current Affairs board because the Paul Brothers are our President and Vice President in 20 years.

Are you mad that they are our inevitable rulers, or that the thread is being moved?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#320 » by REDDzone » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:29 pm

Long before President Logan and Vice President Jake, they will both be involved in the highest selling PPV of all time:

Logan vs Jake: Battle of the Brothers

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts