The OFFICIAL Paul Brothers Boxing Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Re: The OFFICIAL Paul Brothers Boxing Thread 

Post#321 » by Susan » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:02 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:It's gunna suck when this thread gets moved to the Current Affairs board because the Paul Brothers are our President and Vice President in 20 years.

Are you mad that they are our inevitable rulers, or that the thread is being moved?

IDGAF as long as Mike Perry doesn't successfully become governor of Florida in 2032.
That thread stays here.
Susan
RealGM

Post#322 » by Susan » Mon Sep 5, 2022 12:53 am

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:Anderson SIlva vs Jake Paul, just saw it in my Facebook news feed. Is this legit?

Hope Silva KTFO Paul out.

We can only hope.
Susan
RealGM

Post#324 » by Susan » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:09 am

Read on Twitter

Doesn't look like Chuck did when he faced Tito last. Legend.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#325 » by High 5 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:50 pm

Read on Twitter

This is the weirdest “bet” ever… or they’re just being open about the fact that Silva has no intention of winning.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#326 » by Jasen777 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:01 am

High 5 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is the weirdest “bet” ever… or they’re just being open about the fact that Silva has no intention of winning.

Jake Paul is supposed to kickbox him after losing a boxing match to him? Sure.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#327 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:28 pm

Anderson looks good, I agree. Left-handed, crafty, 200lbs...this could be an L for Paul.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#328 » by Jasen777 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:13 am

Have to say, Jake Paul's career management has been great.
Susan
RealGM

Post#329 » by Susan » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:09 pm

Jasen777 wrote:Have to say, Jake Paul's career management has been great.

It wasn't a clown show last night. Anderson is nearly 50 so his performance was about as great as you can get considering his age but it was competitive, respectful and a showcase of both of their current ability level.

Jake is a good athlete that has high level training and absolutely takes it seriously - he's to be respected for trying.

The MMA Gods have been merciful lately:
-Diaz/Khazmat cancelled
-Diaz gets a whatever win over Tony to keep it going
-Anderson gets a payday and looks respectable against Jake but loses allowing this thing to continue
-Nate is lined up for a huge payday
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,829

Post#330 » by Los_29 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:31 pm

That was a fun fight. Have to say Silva showed his age in there. Lots of looping shots, very little counter punching despite Paul leaving many openings throughout the fight. Silva was the master of counter punching and even did his fair bit of counter punching against Chavez Jr just two years ago. Paul had a great gameplan, he went to the body and did it often. That contributed to Silva tiring in the later rounds. The knockdown was also a result of Paul going to the body as Silva dropped his hands to block the body punches which left an opening up top for Paul to exploit. You can tell the body work was affecting Silva.

You have to give Paul credit here, he's improving a lot. But he's still got some glaring weaknesses. But you'd expect that from someone who has been in this sport for just 4-5 years.

I still think Paul starches Nate Diaz. Diaz is too small and isn't hard to hit. People underestimate how big Paul is. This guy would be a MW/LHW in MMA and he clearly can punch.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#331 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:24 am

So did Jake actually look like he had some boxing skills developing, or did he look like **** and his opponent also looked like **** like the Woodley fight?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,669

Post#332 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:37 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:So did Jake actually look like he had some boxing skills developing, or did he look like **** and his opponent also looked like **** like the Woodley fight?

It depends on how you view it. Its clear he is a good athlete and has been taking his training seriously for 4-5 years. Boxing a guy like Silva for 8 rounds, even though Silva is pretty much 50 isnt the easiest task.

But its also clear as day he would get lit up if he went against any legit striker who is in their prime. Silva looked good but he also looked like he was pushing 50. His strikes were much slower, and not nearly the same kind of pop they once had (crazy to think it was a decade ago the last time he was the UFC champ).

I would say it will be smart for him to continue to do these circus fights, but from my understanding the eyeballs for these events are fading real quick. I believe I read his last fight with Woodley only did like 200k PPV buys and the optimistic outlook for this fight was they were hoping it would crack 300k.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#333 » by Dupp » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:31 pm

He looked a lot better than I thought he was. His skills are limited but still looked pretty good.

Was so much clinching by Paul which was frustrating to watch as someone wanting Silva to win
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#334 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Nov 1, 2022 1:33 pm

Jake's always been talented. This was his 6th fight total, with no amateur career whatsoever (I think this is more or less right). He's waaay ahead of the curve for equivalent experience fighters. These aren't circus fights, they're just fights that one would take to slowly increase the challenge as one gains experience.

Errol Spence fought almost 150 amateur fights - about as lengthy an amateur career as any US amateur boxer ever. *This* was his 6th opponent:

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/643477

He KOd him in the first round.

Jake is way ahead of the game.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#335 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:42 pm

Y'all laughing at Nate Diaz hitting mitts, putting money on Paul.

But, man, Nate and Nick have always looked this bad. Pushing punches and slapping and stimming. They still win.

Also, there's no way to counterpunch that ****. There's no beat or pause, and they haven't moved their hips. Lifting their feet like they're in day 1 boxing class actually allows them to keep them to never make big hip movements that you can exploit. And because you can't counter, you just have to cover up or move. And that's when they drown you, cos they stay on you and there is no pausing so that you can breathe.

Whether this works in 10 oz gloves, IDK. But this is nothing shocking.
Susan
RealGM

Post#336 » by Susan » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:37 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Y'all laughing at Nate Diaz hitting mitts, putting money on Paul.

But, man, Nate and Nick have always looked this bad. Pushing punches and slapping and stimming. They still win.

Also, there's no way to counterpunch that ****. There's no beat or pause, and they haven't moved their hips. Lifting their feet like they're in day 1 boxing class actually allows them to keep them to never make big hip movements that you can exploit. And because you can't counter, you just have to cover up or move. And that's when they drown you, cos they stay on you and there is no pausing so that you can breathe.

Whether this works in 10 oz gloves, IDK. But this is nothing shocking.

Legit boxers say they're legit with this style and tbh their resume speaks for itself in stand-up fights.

Paul isn't a dog like that, where he's willing to go through hell and back for this ****. He's already made it in life, Diaz' style ages well, isn't dependent on reflexes like Silvas or explosive movements like Woodley - it's technical and cardio dependent and aerobic capacity doesn't start to wane until well into your 40s if you maintain it. Diaz has lived really clean unlike his brother who's a shell of himself, this is gonna be a fun bloodbath.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#337 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jul 4, 2023 9:12 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Jake's always been talented. This was his 6th fight total, with no amateur career whatsoever (I think this is more or less right). He's waaay ahead of the curve for equivalent experience fighters. These aren't circus fights, they're just fights that one would take to slowly increase the challenge as one gains experience.

Errol Spence fought almost 150 amateur fights - about as lengthy an amateur career as any US amateur boxer ever. *This* was his 6th opponent:

He is, but also most boxers don't get to start with designer steroids, and with top tier boxing camps taking you in and offering to train with high level guys because you're already a rich celebrity. Most guys start as kids in someone's back yard and local boxing gym, or are guys trying to work/go to school. He's rich with access to way better roids, training, nutrition, etc than anyone else at his experience level.

He's obviously tough, he works hard, and he's pretty smart in that he knows his strengths and his weaknesses and plays well to it. The biggest problem to me is that he's very low volume and even with that, he still looks very gassed in fights to me. Fury basically was the first guy that didn't let him just stand still and decide when he wanted to throw, and it looked awful for him tbh.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#338 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jul 4, 2023 10:29 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:Jake's always been talented. This was his 6th fight total, with no amateur career whatsoever (I think this is more or less right). He's waaay ahead of the curve for equivalent experience fighters. These aren't circus fights, they're just fights that one would take to slowly increase the challenge as one gains experience.

He is, but also most boxers don't get to start with designer steroids, and with top tier boxing camps taking you in and offering to train with high level guys because you're already a rich celebrity. Most guys start as kids in someone's back yard and local boxing gym, or are guys trying to work/go to school. He's rich with access to way better roids, training, nutrition, etc than anyone else at his experience level.

He's obviously tough, he works hard, and he's pretty smart in that he knows his strengths and his weaknesses and plays well to it. The biggest problem to me is that he's very low volume and even with that, he still looks very gassed in fights to me. Fury basically was the first guy that didn't let him just stand still and decide when he wanted to throw, and it looked awful for him tbh.

The drugs, fine. But the training quality? Not a chance. Spence won the national GGs, 3 straight annual national championships at 147, and went to the Olympics. All by the time he was 21. The USA Boxing program is no joke, and Spence had almost a decade under it. He fought 150+ amateur fights. You can't possibly compare that pedigree to getting a couple years of attention because you're a celebrity. Spence had far superior training.

So, once again, compare their respective 6th opponents. Jake had Fury. Shields had a skinny Mexican guy with 12 wins... of those 12 wins his opponent had, the guys he faced had a *total* of 3 wins. Like, those 12 dudes had collectively only won 3 fights. This is the opponent Spence, with all that pedigree as an Olympian and national champion, was given for his 6th fight.

In all sincerity, it should be illegal to hold such a fight. An Olympian against a guy with such an impoverished record.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#339 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jul 4, 2023 10:55 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

The drugs, fine. But the training quality? Not a chance. Spence won the national GGs, 3 straight annual national championships at 147, and went to the Olympics. All by the time he was 21. The USA Boxing program is no joke, and Spence had almost a decade under it. He fought 150+ amateur fights. You can't possibly compare that pedigree to getting a couple years of attention because you're a celebrity. Spence had far superior training.

So, once again, compare their respective 6th opponents. Jake had Fury. Shields had a skinny Mexican guy with 12 wins... of those 12 wins his opponent had, the guys he faced had a *total* of 3 wins. Like, those 12 dudes had collectively only won 3 fights. This is the opponent Spence, with all that pedigree as an Olympian and national champion, was given for his 6th fight.

In all sincerity, it should be illegal to hold such a fight. An Olympian against a guy with such an impoverished record.

I meant over most guys with 5-6 pro fights. He might not have better training than Errol Spence, but he's not even in the ballpark of skill level of any version of Spence we've ever seen though.

Edit: I do think Jake’s strength of schedule is pretty impressive. Despite their flaws and age, Woodley and Silva are awesome notches on your belt for a guy that was not even a professional athlete not very long ago lol.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#340 » by High 5 » Sun Aug 6, 2023 5:17 am

Nate at 38 with boxing gloves is just a hilarious lack of power.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts