Moderator: lilfishi22

SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Re: 264 

Post#41 » by SichtingLives » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:45 am

Conor snapping his leg was definitely one of the scenarios I thought about leading into this but not just stepping back on it like that. Never seen or heard of that. Had to be compromised like Dustin said.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#42 » by Jasen777 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:47 am

Who knows if money and fame made him lose motivation, but I think Conor was simply never that great at 155. His power simply didn't translate like it did at 145.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Post#43 » by yoyoboy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:04 am

Jasen777 wrote:Who knows if money and fame made him lose motivation, but I think Conor was simply never that great at 155. His power simply didn't translate like it did at 145.

Agree with this. I think Conor should’ve stayed at 145 where his power for the division was clearly more of an advantage.

Even before the ankle snap, it was pretty clear tonight Conor wasn’t going to win this fight. His best chance was the first round, and yet Dustin was clearly controlling the fight on their feet and then managed to get some ground and pound on him, too. It would’ve been over in Round 2 once again most likely.

Sad to see Conor go out this way tbh. He’s not coming back from this, and that raging rant in the interview was a sad look for him.
yoyoboy
RealGM

Post#44 » by yoyoboy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:05 am

Jasen777 wrote:Who knows if money and fame made him lose motivation, but I think Conor was simply never that great at 155. His power simply didn't translate like it did at 145.

Agree with this. I think Conor should’ve stayed at 145 where his power for the division was clearly more of an advantage.

Even before the ankle snap, it was pretty clear tonight Conor wasn’t going to win this fight. His best chance was the first round, and yet Dustin was clearly controlling the fight on their feet and then managed to get some ground and pound on him, too. It would’ve been over in Round 2 once again most likely.

Sad to see Conor go out this way tbh. He’s not coming back from this, and that raging rant in the interview was a sad pathetic look for him.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#45 » by Jasen777 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:12 am

yoyoboy wrote:Sad to see Conor go out this way tbh.

Well I'm a hater.

It's possible he couldn't stay at 145, he always looked like death after his cuts. Even though he never had any incidents making weight I was always suspicious of him being a natural 145er. And it doesn't get easier with age.
yoyoboy
RealGM

Post#46 » by yoyoboy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:45 am

Jasen777 wrote:

Well I'm a hater.

It's possible he couldn't stay at 145, he always looked like death after his cuts. Even though he never had any incidents making weight I was always suspicious of him being a natural 145er. And it doesn't get easier with age.

Sure, but you can always lose a little bit of weight the right way to make the water cut less drastic. And even though he looked gaunt Conor was cutting from around 165 to make 145, and a 20 pound cut is pretty standard for most fighters.

At 155, who can he honestly beat? Poirier, Gaethje, Oliveira, Dariush, and Islam all definitely beat him. I would favor Michael Chandler, too, but I think Conor at least has a shot there. Conor is in the class below with guys like Ferguson who clearly aren’t legitimate contenders anymore, which is why I think he should just fight Diaz in the trilogy and call it a career.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#47 » by Dupp » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:23 am

SichtingLives wrote:Conor snapping his leg was definitely one of the scenarios I thought about leading into this but not just stepping back on it like that. Never seen or heard of that. Had to be compromised like Dustin said.

Mystic jerry
AdamTH21
Senior
And1: 673

Post#48 » by AdamTH21 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:48 am

Disappointed with how the fight ended, purely because it means we have to sit and listen to McGregor fans continue to make excuses for him until Dustin inevitably finishes him again.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. His career spiral has been absolutely fascinating viewing.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#49 » by Dupp » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:52 am

Why’s hardy in the UFC btw
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#50 » by Headliner » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:57 am

How do you get that from that fight.
He snapped his own leg in the first round. You can’t draw any conclusions from it.
Because he didn’t beat Khabib, and got legged kicked to death from Dustin, arguably the best 155er on the planet right now, doesn’t mean much.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#51 » by Headliner » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:01 am

yoyoboy wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:

Well I'm a hater.

Sure, but you can always lose a little bit of weight the right way to make the water cut less drastic. And even though he looked gaunt Conor was cutting from around 165 to make 145, and a 20 pound cut is pretty standard for most fighters.

At 155, who can he honestly beat? Poirier, Gaethje, Oliveira, Dariush, and Islam all definitely beat him. I would favor Michael Chandler, too, but I think Conor at least has a shot there. Conor is in the class below with guys like Ferguson who clearly aren’t legitimate contenders anymore, which is why I think he should just fight Diaz in the trilogy and call it a career.

That’s silly,
He destroyed Eddie, lost to khabib, destroyed cowboy and lost to Dustin and then broke his own foot. You can’t draw conclusions from that. Dustin and Khabib are better than all those guys you listed above.

The conor hate clouds people. He’s not a bum, he’s not “definitely” losing to any of those guys. He might not be favoured, but he’s not a slouch to the point you can write him off like that.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#52 » by Susan » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:35 pm

Headliner wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:
Well I'm a hater.

That’s silly,
He destroyed Eddie, lost to khabib, destroyed cowboy and lost to Dustin and then broke his own foot. You can’t draw conclusions from that. Dustin and Khabib are better than all those guys you listed above.

The conor hate clouds people. He’s not a bum, he’s not “definitely” losing to any of those guys. He might not be favoured, but he’s not a slouch to the point you can write him off like that.

He's not putting the top level guys away anymore. Cowboy is washed and was a lamb to slaughter.

DP weathered that storm in the first two minutes, put it on him and Conor was going to fade badly going forward. He's shown nothing new and was heavily dependent on getting guys to play mindgames with him/getting out of their element and fighting not like themselves. JG, Charles, Islam and DP are all on a level above him right now.

He should be fighting Nate/Jorge where it's all wolf tickets. These top flight guys all roll through him.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#53 » by Susan » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:41 pm

Read on Twitter
/photo/1
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,296

Post#54 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:00 pm

Susan wrote:
Headliner wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:Sure, but you can always lose a little bit of weight the right way to make the water cut less drastic. And even though he looked gaunt Conor was cutting from around 165 to make 145, and a 20 pound cut is pretty standard for most fighters.

That’s silly,

He's not putting the top level guys away anymore. Cowboy is washed and was a lamb to slaughter.

DP weathered that storm in the first two minutes, put it on him and Conor was going to fade badly going forward. He's shown nothing new and was heavily dependent on getting guys to play mindgames with him/getting out of their element and fighting not like themselves. JG, Charles, Islam and DP are all on a level above him right now.

He should be fighting Nate/Jorge where it's all wolf tickets. These top flight guys all roll through him.

I don’t disagree necessarily, but just to play devil’s advocate — he lost to Khabib, who no one else has beaten. He lost to Poirier by KO, and then technically lost via injury in this trilogy fight. If we’re going by the first round only, then he lost the fight, but he was making it to the second round if he doesn’t break his leg. While he doesn’t have a strong track record of being a strong fighter as the rounds go on, he has shown an ability to win that kind of fight (Diaz rematch, for example & the Mendes fight was a war through 2 rounds).

Obviously Poirier has more of those kinds of wins under his belt, so he should’ve been favored in that case, but it’s not impossible that Conor wins that fight if he doesn’t get injured. Of course, his leg was likely compromised from a checked kick like Dustin said, so in a way he ‘caused’ that injury.

Anyway, suffice to say, if they run it back in the next year or so, then I think myself, and a lot of other fans will buy into the possibility that Conor can win. However, Conor would need to come back, and beat someone of note in order to earn a rematch with Dustin.
yoyoboy
RealGM

Post#55 » by yoyoboy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:10 pm

Headliner wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:
Well I'm a hater.

That’s silly,

He beat Eddie nearly 5 years ago. A lot has happened since then. And in those 5 years, Conor is 1-3 with a boxing loss on the side. Sure, he beat a washed up Cowboy but is that supposed to be impressive? Nothing I’ve seen from the past few years convinces me Conor can compete with the real contenders in the division. Even tonight before the leg injury, he was getting effed up by Dustin in the round that’s supposed to be CONOR’S round! It was only going to get worse after that.

155 is absolutely stacked right now and Conor’s honestly just not a well-rounded enough fighter to hang with the top dogs. Conor turns 33 in a few days. By the time he’s healed up and fighting again, he’ll be 34-34.5? The lightweight division isn’t a young man’s division, and now he’ll be afraid to throw kicks because he won’t trust that leg as much after the break. He’ll only be worse and less confident fighter coming off yet another loss, having more time off to recover while the other guys get better, and being even older.

I mean I don’t think it’s an overreaction to say it’s over for Conor, at least in terms of real high-level fights. He can still bring in money and fight Tony or Diaz, but he’s not sniffing a belt, and any of the guys I mentioned before would whoop him.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,829

Post#56 » by Los_29 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:26 pm

Headliner wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:
Well I'm a hater.

That’s silly,

Eddie was a long time ago and not to discredit Eddie but he was never considered an elite fighter. He was a good fighter who happened to be in the right place at the right time. Since that Conor fight, Eddie has gone onto lose 4 of his last 6 fights.

The Cerrone fight was a tune-up fight for Conor. Everyone is beating Cerrone right now. He's far past his prime and shouldn't be fighting.

Last night's fight had an unfortunate ending but Poirier was starting to batter him and the longer the fight goes the more it favours Poirier. Conor is dangerous early in fights but Poirier has taken his shots in both fights and kept on marching forward.

I think both Conor and Dustin wipe the floor with Oliveira. Gaethje beats Oliveira as well. But Dustin is the best of the best right now. Whereas I could see Conor losing to a couple guys at LW.

The novelty is going to wear off very soon with Conor. The difference between him and guys like Mayweather, Khabib and Canelo is that those guys were elite, unique guys with an incredible skill set. Conor doesn't have that. He's an excellent trash talker with a loyal fanbase but for longevity in this game, you gotta win fights. Conor hasn't been doing that for 6 years.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#57 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:36 pm

LOL. Did he shoot for a takedown? Dustin started to light him up with a minute and a half into the round. Two straight left hands to the chin (no head movement from Conor whatsoever; did not even see the punches; clang, clang down the pipe). Then a 3 punch combo from Dustin, Conor ducks for underhooks. Dustin maneuvers to a TD.

I don't know what the problem is. A lack of the in-out movement that made him so dominant early in his career? Facing another southpaw does not help, as Conor ate orthodox fighters alive moving around their lead hand. Size? Psychology? Whatever it is, he's not looking great.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#58 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:38 pm

I'm glad Ryan Hall got got. I watched those interviews on that techbro rogan show. He sounded like a libertarian and just any other autist. He's dead to me.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#59 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:49 pm

Dupp wrote:I get the stoppage but he let it go that far give him another 30 seconds... He did say protect yourself though. Dude got brain damage that fight.

Tough as **** though

Naw. Refs ought not being paying attention to the clock. I mean, that's literally a rule. Every second is equal.

That said, the fight should have been stopped way earlier. Give the kid warnings and then end the fight.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,806

Post#60 » by jc23 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:24 pm

Conor made the sport fun and then became a parody of himself around the time he fought mayweather, he should retire but wont.
Be curious, Not judgmental

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts