UFC Fightnight - Sandhagen vs Dillashaw

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: UFC Fightnight - Sandhagen vs Dillashaw 

Post#21 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:48 pm

Holy ****. That Costa vs Yanez fight?

Fristly, Yanez is an animal. 7 fight streak, 6 by T/KO.

Costa dominated most of the first. Yanez came out renewed in the second. But didn't really take over until LOL, DC from the booth goes, "Yanez should be parrying with his right hand and jabbing with Costa". Seconds later, Yanez starts to do exactly that. He points over to DC, says "Thanks, DC". 45 seconds later, Costa is on the ground TKOd. LOL. Yanez musta landed 30 punches in those 45 seconds, Costa none. *After DC's advice*. Hilarious.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,762

Post#22 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:41 pm

yeah that was jokes! So glad I had this on the 55" while playing Monster Hunter World / Iceborne on my PC with my buddy on my gaming monitor. Couple of the other fights were real good as well. Decent card for free.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#23 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:19 am

I was relatively underwhelmed by the main event. I think people are calling it the elite-of-the-elite because that's what we expected it to be. But I don't think either guy was that impressive.

Both guys got caught repeatedly trying to work with their hands down. TJ especially got pieced up a couple of times. And Sandhagen was not moving his head very well or masterfully. He was really lazily just trying to bait by hanging out his head but never did he really catch TJ as a result. That's really one-note and unimpressive. You have to be really putting it on an opponent for that to work. Plus, all his spinning **** failed save one backhand, with him often ending up with back turned. In one case, he ended up utterly turned around and TJ teed off on him from behind.

Neither is a top ten striker in the UFC any longer. That super dynamic footwork has given way to guys who just box really well.

Think about the most dominant striking performances most recently. Comes to mind for me:

Kattar > Stephenson
Holloway > Kattar
Font > Garbrandt
Pter Yan > everybody
Robert Whitaker vs Gastelum / Canonier
Adesenya vs Costa

What happened in each of these fights? The jab. Almost entirely, the jab. No crazy switch stance footwork or new fangled anything. All of those guys simply work behind dominant jabs. Font, Holloway, and Yan push forward with crazy outputs. Whitaker counter punches with his lead hand. They aren't doing anything that isn't fully based in traditional boxing. And they are destroying not just other opponents but - in all the above cases - other strikers. Max landed 59% of his strikes against Katter, himself a dominant boxer. Do TJ or Cory deserve to be in that class? I don't think so. Styling on John Linekar or trading in the pocket with Garbrandt doesn't express what the above boxers are doing.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,762

Post#24 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 am

Oh ya/**** whose Whitaker fighting next!??!?!
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#25 » by Susan » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:35 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I was relatively underwhelmed by the main event. I think people are calling it the elite-of-the-elite because that's what we expected it to be. But I don't think either guy was that impressive.

Both guys got caught repeatedly trying to work with their hands down. TJ especially got pieced up a couple of times. And Sandhagen was not moving his head very well or masterfully. He was really lazily just trying to bait by hanging out his head but never did he really catch TJ as a result. That's really one-note and unimpressive. You have to be really putting it on an opponent for that to work. Plus, all his spinning **** failed save one backhand, with him often ending up with back turned. In one case, he ended up utterly turned around and TJ teed off on him from behind.

Neither is a top ten striker in the UFC any longer. That super dynamic footwork has given way to guys who just box really well.

Think about the most dominant striking performances most recently. Comes to mind for me:

Kattar > Stephenson
Holloway > Kattar
Font > Garbrandt
Pter Yan > everybody
Robert Whitaker vs Gastelum / Canonier
Adesenya vs Costa

What happened in each of these fights? The jab. Almost entirely, the jab. No crazy switch stance footwork or new fangled anything. All of those guys simply work behind dominant jabs. Font, Holloway, and Yan push forward with crazy outputs. Whitaker counter punches with his lead hand. They aren't doing anything that isn't fully based in traditional boxing. And they are destroying not just other opponents but - in all the above cases - other strikers. Max landed 59% of his strikes against Katter, himself a dominant boxer. Do TJ or Cory deserve to be in that class? I don't think so. Styling on John Linekar or trading in the pocket with Garbrandt doesn't express what the above boxers are doing.

Appreccaite this post!

Did you happen to see BJJ God Rodolfo Vieira's latest fight? I thought his standup looked levels better and he learned a lot from his loss but my striking knowledge isn't all that. Clearly his BJJ/grappling is top notch. Seems like he's a top notch athlete with elite ability to learn technique (ala Jacare) which means he's going to bounce back from that embarrassing loss.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#26 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:08 pm

I remember seeing him get subbed, with the obvious storyline. But haven't watched the more recent fight. He's a gamer, huh?
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#27 » by Susan » Tue Aug 3, 2021 2:48 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I remember seeing him get subbed, with the obvious storyline. But haven't watched the more recent fight. He's a gamer, huh?

He's the most impressive physical prospect that BJJ has thrown into MMA outside of Jacare. Jacare/Romero was absurd seeing how athletic Yoel was and they were still close to their physical primes at that time.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#28 » by REDDzone » Tue Aug 3, 2021 3:59 pm

I'm just concerned Rodolfo made the switch too late given that he's in his 30s now.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts