OT: Pacquiao... he deserves this on a basketball forum.

Moderator: lilfishi22

Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,179

OT: Pacquiao... he deserves this on a basketball forum. 

Post#1 » by Pelon chingon » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:52 pm

If that's the last we see of the Pac-Man and it's likely it is what a great champion we witnessed. 12 time champ in 8 weight divisions he has as strong of case as anybody to be considered the G.O.A.T. What a warrior! Manny took on anybody and everybody multiple times and even captured the welterweight strap at age 40!!! Even in his advanced age he had current title holders shook signing Contracts with both Spence/Crawford before the fights fell apart due to them ducking and faking injuries. I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge Manny "Pac-Man" Pacquiao for setting an awesome example to all future generations he is truly a gladiator.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,583

Re: Pacquiao... he deserves this on a basketball forum. 

Post#2 » by bisme37 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:10 pm

Instead of complaining about all these combat sports threads on a basketball forum when there are so many other combat sports sites to comment on, I guess I'll change it up and say RGM should really consider opening up a combat sports forum. MMA, boxing, wrestling etc. Seems like it would garner a lot of interest and traffic among RGMers.

Edit: there already is an MMA and wrestling forum on the site. Who knew?

viewforum.php?f=255
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,691

Post#3 » by Cubbies2120 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:15 pm

Pelon chingon wrote:If that's the last we see of the Pac-Man and it's likely it is what a great champion we witnessed. 12 time champ in 8 weight divisions he has as strong of case as anybody to be considered the G.O.A.T. What a warrior! Manny took on anybody and everybody multiple times and even captured the welterweight strap at age 40!!! Even in his advanced age he had current title holders shook signing Contracts with both Spence/Crawford before the fights fell apart due to them ducking and faking injuries. I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge Manny "Pac-Man" Pacquiao for setting an awesome example to all future generations he is truly a gladiator.

Strong a case as anybody? Not as strong as Floyd...and Floyd put Pacman in his place.

Great fighter nonetheless. Nothing wrong with being top 5.
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,989

Post#4 » by Ice Trae » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:22 pm

I hope he retires. Would hate to see him take more fights and lose. The power and fast footwork isn’t there anymore unfortunately. Kudos to him for being able to go the distance at his age but he was absolutely outclassed by Ugas. Sucked to watch as a Pacquiao fan
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,898

Post#5 » by dockingsched » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:22 pm

bisme37 wrote:Instead of complaining about all these combat sports threads on a basketball forum when there are so many other combat sports sites to comment on, I guess I'll change it up and say RGM should really consider opening up a combat sports forum. MMA, boxing, wrestling etc. Seems like it would garner a lot of interest and traffic among RGMers.

Heads up there’s already a boxing/mma board and a wrestling board

viewforum.php?f=255
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,583

Post#6 » by bisme37 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:27 pm

dockingsched wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Instead of complaining about all these combat sports threads on a basketball forum when there are so many other combat sports sites to comment on, I guess I'll change it up and say RGM should really consider opening up a combat sports forum. MMA, boxing, wrestling etc. Seems like it would garner a lot of interest and traffic among RGMers.

Heads up there’s already a boxing/mma board and a wrestling board

viewforum.php?f=255

Well heck, thanks man. I had no idea and it seems like most of us missed it, so thanks for sharing.

viewforum.php?f=255
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#7 » by mixerball » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:11 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:If that's the last we see of the Pac-Man and it's likely it is what a great champion we witnessed. 12 time champ in 8 weight divisions he has as strong of case as anybody to be considered the G.O.A.T. What a warrior! Manny took on anybody and everybody multiple times and even captured the welterweight strap at age 40!!! Even in his advanced age he had current title holders shook signing Contracts with both Spence/Crawford before the fights fell apart due to them ducking and faking injuries. I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge Manny "Pac-Man" Pacquiao for setting an awesome example to all future generations he is truly a gladiator.

Strong a case as anybody? Not as strong as Floyd...and Floyd put Pacman in his place.

floyd has goat career(not a goat fighter). very well structured ducking prime fighters
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,908

Post#8 » by Karate Diop » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:16 pm

mixerball wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:

floyd has goat career(not a goat fighter). very well structured ducking prime fighters

Which prime fighters did Floyd duck (genuinely curious as I don't follow the sport closely)?
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,917

Post#9 » by Dick Tate » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:40 pm

"...he deserves this on a basketball forum"

Will take note that this is how OT threads are now labeled on this board.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,474

Post#10 » by Big J » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:43 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:

Pacman's arm was messed up when he fought Floyd. That loss is meaningless.
art_tatum
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#11 » by art_tatum » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:19 pm

Na floyds a businessman, hasnt been a fighter in a while. Doesnt have that spirit.
Pac was set to face off with the #4 pound for pound figther at the age of 42.
Floyd meanwhild fighting logan paul and cant even knock him out.
Also the pac mayweather fight was out of their primes cause floyd kept ducking. Dont mean a thing. He spent most his time running away looking for points. Thats how hes 50-0. He used to actually fight as a youngster and knockout.

Pac is a terrible politician tho. But better than their current president.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,469

Re: OT: Pacquiao... he deserves this on a basketball forum. 

Post#12 » by Slava » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:31 pm

Looking forward to the race between him and Duterte to run the Philippines.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#13 » by mcgrady_1 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:39 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:

I respectfully disagree even as a Pretty Boy Floyd fan.

PBF could've been the greatest but Mayweather hasn't been PBF in a long, long time.

Sure an arguement can be made for both but give me the warrior who doesn't run, delay due to injury and can get back up after being KO'd.

He lost the fight and you could see the age but it was still a close one and if you watched the fight, he was obviously not prepared for the match. Dude had 11 days notice and probably only had 4 days to prepare.

I still feel he was set up.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,179

Post#14 » by Pelon chingon » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:48 pm

mcgrady_1 wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:

I respectfully disagree even as a Pretty Boy Floyd fan.

PBF could've been the greatest but Mayweather hasn't been PBF in a long, long time.

Sure an arguement can be made for both but give me the warrior who doesn't run, delay due to injury and can get back up after being KO'd.

He lost the fight and you could see the age but it was still a close one and if you watched the fight, he was obviously not prepared for the match. Dude had 11 days notice and probably only had 4 days to prepare.

I still feel he was set up.

He absolutely was.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#15 » by DCasey91 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:54 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:

Pac-Man has a very good argument against Mayweather even Floyd himself and serious boxing fans would admit that.

PFP if someone said Manny over Mayweather I wouldn’t bat an eyelid. Feat wise his resume and longevity is more impressive to me. At 40+ he just fought a top 7 WW who has a title of his own.

Legend. That word gets used too much but Manny is certainly that
Cubbies2120
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Cubbies2120 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:22 pm

Big J wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:

Pacman's arm was messed up when he fought Floyd. That loss is meaningless.

Sounds like an excuse to me. He could have postponed the fight.

By taking the fight, he was trying to set himself up for best of both worlds:

1. If he wins, "I beat Mayweather with a bum arm"
2. If he loses, "I had an injury" and his fans will keep repeating it for him

If he's healthy enough to get into the ring, he keeps that L if he loses.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Cubbies2120 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:24 pm

art_tatum wrote:Na floyds a businessman, hasnt been a fighter in a while. Doesnt have that spirit.
Pac was set to face off with the #4 pound for pound figther at the age of 42.
Floyd meanwhild fighting logan paul and cant even knock him out.
Also the pac mayweather fight was out of their primes cause floyd kept ducking. Dont mean a thing. He spent most his time running away looking for points. Thats how hes 50-0. He used to actually fight as a youngster and knockout.

Pac is a terrible politician tho. But better than their current president.

As he got older, he turned to a decision fighter. What's wrong with that? He's doing everything within the rules of boxing, and as long as he's winning enough rounds in each fight, who cares?

I'd liken it to James Harden being the flopping foul baiter that he is. It's within the rules, he's using them to his advantage, just like Floyd was using the way boxing is scored to his advantage.

He's not the greatest fighter of all time, simply the greatest boxer of all time.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#18 » by dlts20 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:53 pm

I'm a licensed professional fight judge. I have pics with all of these guys. I grew up a boxing fan but put my daughter in MMA MMA. She turns 7 in September and just won 1st place in the last 2 tournaments that she was in against older girls and boys and these are the same tournaments the top ufc fighters came up in.

P4P, Mayweather is the most skilled fighter I have ever seen. He literally could do it all. Most casual fans didn't see him until he was old and fighting bigger guys. He was already a hof fighter in his 1st weight class before he ever moved up. In fact I tell people that we never saw the best Mayweather because he moved up to chase money. He could have stayed lower, knock guys his size and smaller out. Then have better names like Barrera and Morales on his resume. They were legends who stood no chance if floyd didn't move up to chase money.

Floyd is small and after his 1st division, he was the smaller guy in nearly every fight. Most times way smaller.. He's basically the only guy in history who took long breaks when he was older, came back, was held to the same standards, and dominanted. Mayweather would take 2 years off while others would get credit if they lost after 6 months off because they weren't active.

Im a boxing fan. Manny is a legend. I've watched him from the jump but even the haters on boxing will tell you that Floyd is arguably the best they have ever seen. No one else can throw a stiff jab, a pull counter, a leeping left, can throw short hard punches in the inside the most beautiful boxer on the outside, high iq, top notch defense, elite chin, etc. Most of you are casuals. I literally know guys at the top of the fight game who don't like Floyd at all and say that he's the best they ever seen
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#19 » by DCasey91 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:18 pm

Yep Floyd as Boxers go PFP is one of the best ever.

But fighting? I still prefer Manny

Money Mayweather though with older Mayweather is goat worthy but his mentality wouldn’t allow it. He’s too smart of a boxer to take those kind of fights.

For me the only fights where he didn’t have a reach or size adv was against Mosley and out of prime DLH both actually did put Mayweather in discomfort.

Manny fought against bigger opponents all the time.

He’s more or less our generations Roberto Duran.

Man Mayweather against the big 4:

Duran - 50-50 at best (Duran or Mayweather slightly favored but either can be picked to be favored imo) Money liked to bang early on and Roberto is in his playground. Barnstormer

SRL - SRL favored. Barnstormer again

Hearns.... that’s the ducking spot, stylistically the worst fight for Floyd. No fight move around the div to avoid a prime Hearns.

Hagler lol would never be a discussion for a fight.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,271

Post#20 » by heezyo2o » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:49 pm

Didn't watch the fight, but I think he should have retired long ago. He still loves it, but it never ends well for older fighters

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts