UFC 270

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: UFC 270 

Post#41 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:01 pm

REDDzone wrote:
I'll skip Moreno/Figeureido III, wake me up for part V.

great idea.

two of the talented, most spirited guys in the sport.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#42 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:55 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:
I'll skip Moreno/Figeureido III, wake me up for part V.

great idea.

two of the talented, most spirited guys in the sport.

Okay so I'll just catch the next one, or the one after that.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,237

Post#43 » by Mehar » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:05 pm

I am not sure what Gane was thinking going for the Leg Lock in the 5th Round, after taking Francis down. Unecessary gamble, which resulted in Francis getting on top of him again, and winning the fight in the end. Much respect to Francis for pulling through, after his ACL/MCL issues. He will probably get surgery (which he mentioned in the post-fight press conference).

He will be a free man come next January, 2023- since his contract he signed had a maximum duration of 5 years, and no Champion Clause. Will probably go box Fury in 2023, for a massive amount of money. UFC will probably strip him of the belt by the summer, if they cannot negotiate a new deal. Make Jones vs. Miocic for the HW title.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#44 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:31 pm

Don't listen to Brogan (about anything), Gane didnt sit for a leg. It looked like he tried to pass, got swept, went for a reactive leg.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#45 » by Susan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:53 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Don't listen to Brogan (about anything), Gane didnt sit for a leg. It looked like he tried to pass, got swept, went for a reactive leg.

https://gfycat.com/focusedchubbygazelle

Is this what Rogan was talking about? That was a scissors sweep 100%.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#46 » by Dupp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:35 am

The beauty of this is if he walks they’re gonna have to pay jones a **** load of money anyway. Lose lose for ufc. Great times.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#47 » by Dupp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:40 am

Susan wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:Don't listen to Brogan (about anything), Gane didnt sit for a leg. It looked like he tried to pass, got swept, went for a reactive leg.

https://gfycat.com/focusedchubbygazelle

Is this what Rogan was talking about? That was a scissors sweep 100%.

Looks like you’re both right watching that. Wasn’t a great pass, cost him the top position.

Great heart by Francis. Dude just unmatched will.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#48 » by Dupp » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:42 am

Anyone think moreno won? Was so close. I feel like he controlled most of the fight even with his legs getting smashed. The knockdowns were crucial though. He was winning the third easily and then the last 10 seconds lost it and all three judges gave it to figgy.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#49 » by Susan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:15 am

If you don't love Francis, there's something wrong with you.

Dupp
RealGM

Post#50 » by Dupp » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:50 am

Wish fighters would just make a stand right now. Perfect time but never gonna happen. They’ve treated him like such garbage. They are such scum. Really great interview.

A few pros and guys like Francis’ coach come out and talked about Cyril going for the leg lock so I dunno.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#51 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:14 pm

He will get murdered in boxing. Forget the technique deficit, he's just not going to have the ability to manage his cardio output over the course of a boxing match, nor will he have the energy system. You have to have been running for years. Even the physical monsters like Tyson, Lewis, Shannon Briggs, etc. spent their youths running. You have to have that physiology and you also have to know how to coast and take seconds/minutes/rounds off to replenish. There's a pace to things that requires years of pure boxing and pure boxing training.

Hell, we saw it happen with MacGregor against Mayweather. He started pushing his punches like 4 rounds in, having run out of the sort of focus needed to not only *punch* (any MMAer can do) but to *box*.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#52 » by Dupp » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:21 pm

Who cares as long as he makes bank. One thing he does have is an inhuman chin and unmatched heart and will. No one should be shocked if he goes 12 rounds after looking tired after 3.

Tyson also seemed to use his weight to tire out wilder. That won’t be that effective against Francis.

I just want him to he paid.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#53 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:21 am

Dupp wrote:Who cares as long as he makes bank. One thing he does have is an inhuman chin and unmatched heart and will. No one should be shocked if he goes 12 rounds after looking tired after 3.

No. *Boxing is not punching*. It's why Mac and TWood crashed so bad.

You need to be loose and relaxed to box. Mac and TWood were able to emulate the movement for a round or two. TWood looked great for a few minutes. But was exhausted in moments, against a rank amateur (never mind the best boxer in the world). There are constant punches in your face, you're constantly asked to think and react. And single shots have to be set up with care and combinations.

That's not MMA, definitely not heavyweight MMA. It's exhausting in a different way. And the more tired you get, if you're inexperienced, the harder you push punches, the more tired you get.

Fighters crumble when this happens. You can see it happen to Mac. To go 12 rds, you have to have been doing boxing and steady-state aerobic work for countless years.

Francis might make $15 million against Tyson or something, granted. But he will get stopped in minutes and it will be the only payday he ever has. No one's going to want to watch that happen again.

Tyson also seemed to use his weight to tire out wilder. That won’t be that effective against Francis.

Because of Francis's "unmatched will"? You don't think Wilder had will??? Have you heard or seen anything of Deontay ever??

This is just meathead nonsense.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#54 » by Dupp » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:45 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Dupp wrote:Who cares as long as he makes bank. One thing he does have is an inhuman chin and unmatched heart and will. No one should be shocked if he goes 12 rounds after looking tired after 3.

No. *Boxing is not punching*. It's why Mac and TWood crashed so bad.

You need to be loose and relaxed to box. Mac and TWood were able to emulate the movement for a round or two. TWood looked great for a few minutes. But was exhausted in moments, against a rank amateur (never mind the best boxer in the world). There are constant punches in your face, you're constantly asked to think and react. And single shots have to be set up with care and combinations.

That's not MMA, definitely not heavyweight MMA. It's exhausting in a different way. And the more tired you get, if you're inexperienced, the harder you push punches, the more tired you get.

Fighters crumble when this happens. You can see it happen to Mac. To go 12 rds, you have to have been doing boxing and steady-state aerobic work for countless years.

Francis might make $15 million against Tyson or something, granted. But he will get stopped in minutes and it will be the only payday he ever has. No one's going to want to watch that happen again.

Because of Francis's "unmatched will"? You don't think Wilder had will??? Have you heard or seen anything of Deontay ever??

This is just meathead nonsense.

It’s not meat head nonsense I’m talking about what Francis has been through to get to where he is. How he got out of his county and made it to the ufc. Even Saturday he’s got a busted knee, his manager is getting racist text and been threatened to be sued hours before the fight, ufc wants him to lose, he’s bet on himself financially, he’s down 2 rounds and being out struck and he still wins..

That comment had nothing to do with wilder. No shot at him just praising Francis. He’s been through much tougher things than fighting.

As for Tyson using his weight to tire him out comment: no, I mean because Francis is much bigger and stronger and can probably conserve more energy in the clinch.

Anyway I’m not saying Francis won’t gas out and get smashed im just saying don’t be surprised if he goes the distance when he has no right to. Dunno why mentioning someone’s will is such a meathead thing. Wilder made it so far last fight on heart and will himself, he was gone on multiple occasions. I know what you’re saying in that it’s a shallow comment void of any real technical analysis but I believe Francis I suppose.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#55 » by Dupp » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:50 pm

Also with all the circus fights going on and **** i think Francis can find other boxing matches even if knocked out in minutes. It’ll hurt him sure but there will be other much smaller pay days out there.

Even if not, get that 15 mil and have a clear head that he did it his way and wasn’t controlled by the ufc.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#56 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:52 am

I agree it's the best financial decision. But my original point was about his competitive chances, which are nil and will cost him a brutal stoppage loss.

He's not bigger than Tyson, who is 6'9'' and has weighed as much as 400 pounds outside of the ring and 277 in it. That Francis has a v-shape and Tyson a pear-shape won't help him in terms of sparing energy output. The taller opponent has the advantage in boxing, as there is no clinch,y ou can't entangle arms at all, and there are no underhooks. So the taller opponent can just press down into you without you being able to counter with any leverage of your own. It's exhausting on the legs in a way that MMA won't prepare you for. Tyson destroyed Wilder in this exact manner.

The idea that having worked in a brutal African mine will help your output is ridiculous. Maybe you can tolerate more of a beating. But it's not like that ability is going to allow you to throw snapping punches despite being in a fatigue state, which is where Francis will be 2 rounds in. It's metabolic not psychological. He's not gonna be like, 'you know what, I'm going to use by superpower will to process more glycogen and send some extra motor signals, cos life's been tough'. Bodies are bodies.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts