UFC 273: Chimaev vs Burns

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: UFC 273: Chimaev vs Burns 

Post#61 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:21 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Am I the only one that would favor Burns over Colby?

Style-wise, I think Colby takes it. Those peppered punches versus Burns' wide swings... Colby's a problem for everyone in that division. Lawler and Jorge are arguably better strikers than Burns, for example, and Colby handled them each 50-45.

Would like to see it, though.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#62 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:23 pm

poor Volk, hahaha. He cemented himself as top 3 pound-for-pound, and as arguably the most skilled fighter in the sport. Not to mention, ever improving. That striking was **** insane. Yet, I haven't even seen his name mentioned. And the reaction that BloodyElbow has, when they quote other fighters' Twitter reactions, are 90% about how KZ is a badass and that Herb made a great decision. What about the absolute counter-punching/control clinic that Volk put on? Flawless.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#63 » by Dupp » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:10 pm

Does Aljo have the worst hands of any champ by far? Those things are absolute pillows.

Not trying to be a hater, glad he won because it sent everyone mental but his hand striking is really not good to watch and doesn’t really seem to do any damage.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#64 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:50 pm

Dupp wrote:Does Aljo have the worst hands of any champ by far? Those things are absolute pillows.

Not trying to be a hater, glad he won because it sent everyone mental but his hand striking is really not good to watch and doesn’t really seem to do any damage.

Truly.

But some of it might have to do with the stance he (deliberately?) takes, rather than incompetence. Not only does he never blade his stance, with both feet facing the same direction, he often has his hips squared and his toes facing in *opposite* directions. Like the toe of his lead foot will be facing away from his mid-line. Like he's a soccer goalie or something. It's what allows him to do those walk forward punches and helps facilitate his two-sided kicking game. But it completely torpedoes his ability to ever, 1) throw combinations or shift weight, 2) throw with his hips.

So, you're right, it's remarkably shi77y boxing. He will sometimes chain single punches. But they're never shifts of weight, they're never true combos. And he has zero power behind them.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Post#65 » by Susan » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:03 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:INSPIRING.

Read on Twitter

On this note, what did Chimaev say in Russian to "my country, Russia"? (He's a Swedish national.)

From reddit so a big shrug but:

He wasn't speaking Russian, he spoke Chechen. He basically said he fought for Chechnya and hope he represented them well

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMAbetting/comments/u0b2xp/what_did_khamzat_say_in_russian_after_his_fight/
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#66 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:33 am

Susan wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:INSPIRING.

Read on Twitter

On this note, what did Chimaev say in Russian to "my country, Russia"? (He's a Swedish national.)

From reddit so a big shrug but:

He wasn't speaking Russian, he spoke Chechen. He basically said he fought for Chechnya and hope he represented them well

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMAbetting/comments/u0b2xp/what_did_khamzat_say_in_russian_after_his_fight/

Oh, listening to it now... I thought he had said, "I want to speak to my country, Russia"...but I misheard that last word, it was in [whatever language he was speaking]. And, yeah, that was definitely not Russian, on closer listen. It sounded way more Arabic-y. So surely Chechen.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,148
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#67 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:58 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Am I the only one that would favor Burns over Colby?

Style-wise, I think Colby takes it. Those peppered punches versus Burns' wide swings... Colby's a problem for everyone in that division. Lawler and Jorge are arguably better strikers than Burns, for example, and Colby handled them each 50-45.

Would like to see it, though.

I don't think the version of Robbie that Colby fought is a better striker than Burns, and Lawler/Masvidal were way more thrown off their striking than I think Gilbert would be from the grappling. I'd love to see that fight.

Hell, I'd like to see almost all of the top of the division that isn't 36+ actually fight each other. Burns/Colby/Leon/Luque/Chimaev/Muhammad.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Dupp
RealGM

Post#68 » by Dupp » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:29 am

Yeah colby going after Dustin and not top contenders in the division is weird. I actually don’t think it’s a given he’s the number 2or 3 guy. Would love to see him fight some of those guys just mentioned
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#69 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:43 pm

FWIW, media scorecards overwhelmingly for Chmaev. Most scored it for Sterling, but there were a handful of draws and 1-2 for Yan as well.

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/13034/Khamzat-Chimaev-vs-Gilbert-Burns

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/13035/Aljamain-Sterling-vs-Petr-Yan
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#70 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:45 pm

If there is one thing that Sterling is elite at, it's backtackes. Isn't he a Renzo guy, he should go down and work with Danaher on RNC setups and finishing mechanics tbh.

Watching Aljamain flatten Yan out and batter him in Rd2 was the most satisfying MMA moment I have seen in a long time (in the context of all the sh*t Yan has talked after illegally kneeing Aljamain in their last fight).
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#71 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:46 pm

Has Sterling tried getting a job at Costco? Or maybe getting on at the local fire department?
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,916

Post#72 » by Los_29 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:48 pm

Beating Burns is an excellent win for Khamzat. However, I have some concerns. Definitely some things he needs to clean up. Burns made him look human.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#73 » by Dupp » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:41 am

Re watched and khamzat unequivocally won the 3rd round. Burns landed like 3 big rights in a row in the last minute which made things look good for him but khamzat was in control for 3.5-4 minutes of that round.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Post#74 » by Susan » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:02 pm

Read on Twitter

For all those Longo HATERS out there - look at u CBR
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#75 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:39 pm

Haha. I love Longo as a human being. But Aljo trains in Vegas, he merely did his camp in LI (for the sake of Al and Merab as training partners).

That camp runs itself. His previous biggest win, against Sandhagen, was while training *without* Longo and instead with the crack team of Al and Merab. Like, there were no coaches, just the three of those dudes isolated somewhere. You think Longo taught him that back-take?

Ray did his best to torpedo things (after round 1, as Aljo is in perfect condition, Ray tells him to "take deep breaths"...). But Aljo won the fight nevertheless.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts