Boxing Thread 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,439

Re: Boxing Thread 5 

Post#301 » by OfficialRef » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:03 pm

What a massive upset. Haney got embarrassed getting dropped 3 times (5 times really) and kept getting hit with that left hook. Haney's stock has completely been shot.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#302 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:47 pm

Lol
It's wild the swings that have occurred in the 3some of Garcia, Haney, and Shakur over the past year. Who would thought that Ryan would be atop them all right now?

Lol, I don't know if Haney comes back from this, at least not as a p4p great. Dude is a rhythm fighter, but once that rhythm is broken, he's totally at a loss. Reestablished the jab is virtually impossible. It's hard to imagine he can return to the upper echelon after this. Brawlers and punchers will always be threats, and doubts are going to now be quick to creep into his psyche.

Sorta terrible to think that Haney and Shakur might have had their wings clipped this early into their careers.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#303 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:49 pm

BlackThought wrote:That was the greatest boxing match I've ever seen. Not just the match itself but everything leading up to it. When Haney asked for 500k a pound Garcia must have been thinking to himself "got em".

I always thought Haney's greatest gift was his ability to shrink down for weigh ins. At 135 he always came in looking at least 2 divisions heavier than his opponent. Garcia's antics gave Haney and his dad the facade of an easy payday but what they should've done is call off the fight when Garcia came in 3 lbs over. Haney's punches had no sting at all against someone bigger than him.

Woah, you think the money/pound and the antics were each strategies to keep Haney overconfident... and willing to not call off the fight?

Maybe. I hadn't considered that. It's devious.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#304 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:50 pm

You gotta love it for the Bill Haney degradation. Lol. That guy is an ****.
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,552

Post#305 » by BlackThought » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:18 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
BlackThought wrote:That was the greatest boxing match I've ever seen. Not just the match itself but everything leading up to it. When Haney asked for 500k a pound Garcia must have been thinking to himself "got em".

I always thought Haney's greatest gift was his ability to shrink down for weigh ins. At 135 he always came in looking at least 2 divisions heavier than his opponent. Garcia's antics gave Haney and his dad the facade of an easy payday but what they should've done is call off the fight when Garcia came in 3 lbs over. Haney's punches had no sting at all against someone bigger than him.

Woah, you think the money/pound and the antics were each strategies to keep Haney overconfident... and willing to not call off the fight?

Maybe. I hadn't considered that. It's devious.

Devin Haney just comes off as a straight minded kid. I still remember when Haney fought Kamboses in Australia the first time, his dad had trouble getting to Australia due to visa problems during the last week before the fight. Devin was considering calling off the fight if his dad can't make it. I'm not calling him stupid but I think Devin isn't the deepest thinker outside of the ring. Garcia grew up in the amateurs with Devin when they were just kids and just knew how to push his buttons, kind of like a big brother small brother thing. I think this entire thing was for that weight advantage. Being bigger in the ring and not being drained to make the weight.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,879

Post#306 » by Rich Rane » Thu May 2, 2024 1:15 am

Garcia tested positive for PEDs. Yikes.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts