Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,833

Re: Boxing Thread 5 

Post#241 » by Rich Rane » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:16 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
He was extremely cautious, because he knows what's coming back, Ngannou is a beast.

Hmm Deontay Wilder is someone with historic punching power and Fury was able to stop him twice. Again, respect to Ngannou, but he was breathing heavy from the 4th or 5th round on and Fury hardly pressed.

Like I said Fury knows what's coming back, he tasted the power and he didn't like it and Ngannou has a granite chin.

Fury looked terrible even before Ngannou landed a punch. :lol: But, if Fury actually did seriously train for this fight, he's gonna be absolutely destroyed by Usyk in December.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#242 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:17 am

2 rounds in, Ngannou looks really natural. Switching stances a bit too.

Better than Conor ever looked against Mayweather.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#243 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:19 am

Oh, ****! a KD. Of the preternatural, no wind-up power from Francis.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#244 » by Susan » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:25 am

So proud of Francis and all that he's accomplished. What a human.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#245 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:30 am

In the 8th, as I watch...Francis gonna get a TKO by the looks of it! He's putting together combos, uppercuts. Francis is amazing.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#246 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:35 am

It's shcoking that Fury hasn't deployed any strategies to wear Francis's cardio down. People not used to boxing, you stunt their punches, parry them hard, focus on interrupting their breathing. I figured Fury would use a long guard, filling the space, and forcing Francis to throw his punches while squeezing and holding his breath.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#247 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:42 am

How Francis bootstrapped that level of skill is incredible. He was light on his feet, punching in combination, always with his head out of danger.

I didn't predict *when* Fury would win. But I was absolutely certain this would be a walk in the park. Obviously, so so wrong.

Forget the scorecards, Francis obviously won. I mean, this wasn't really a fight. It was an exhibition so God knows what obligation the judges were under. There would have been no sanctioning body.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,091
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#248 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:46 am

I thought what troubled Fury a lot was that he couldn’t tie up Francis and sap any of his strength and cardio. Francis was better at getting the good position in those positions and just overpowered him and forced Tyson to hold his weight. Tyson is used to being the stronger guy there.

MMA skill might have actually helped an MMA fighter for once.

What a performance though. Francis really is the man, love to see him flourish.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#249 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:48 am

MMA fighter beating the best HW boxer on the planet - sure, that's shocking. But Dewey Cooper coaching someone to a win is God-descending-from-the-clouds miraculous.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#250 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:51 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I thought what troubled Fury a lot was that he couldn’t tie up Francis and sap any of his strength and cardio. Francis was better at getting the good position in those positions and just overpowered him and forced Tyson to hold his weight. Tyson is used to being the stronger guy there.

It's true. Fury exhausted Wilder by being able to tie him up, using his height and elite-for-a-boxer clinch. He'd have Wilder pushed into the ropes, just leaning on him...with Wilder having no idea how to get out or to save himself from exhaustion by maintaining leverage or balance. It's why Wilder's legs got so tired (that and the leather gladiator trunks, obv.). But Francis's background, obviously, isn't going to let that happen.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#251 » by Susan » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:03 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:I thought what troubled Fury a lot was that he couldn’t tie up Francis and sap any of his strength and cardio. Francis was better at getting the good position in those positions and just overpowered him and forced Tyson to hold his weight. Tyson is used to being the stronger guy there.

It's true. Fury exhausted Wilder by being able to tie him up, using his height and elite-for-a-boxer clinch. He'd have Wilder pushed into the ropes, just leaning on him...with Wilder having no idea how to get out or to save himself from exhaustion by maintaining leverage or balance. It's why Wilder's legs got so tired (that and the leather gladiator trunks, obv.). But Francis's background, obviously, isn't going to let that happen.

Francis understanding of grappling helped him hit that first uppercut that cut Fury. Fury just bullies people in the clinch and wears them down, no? Once it was clear he wasn't able to do that and would actually be looking at losing those exchanges, it really had to change the calculus of the fight for him.

Just a little more polish/technical refinement and you clearly see a path where Francis could legit outclass this dude. What a marvel.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#252 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:11 am

Francis lineal MMA and Boxing HW champ.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#253 » by Dupp » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:26 am

Rich Rane wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:Good Lord, what a horrendous performance from Fury. Respect to Ngannou though. He knocked down the heavyweight champion.

He was extremely cautious, because he knows what's coming back, Ngannou is a beast.

Hmm Deontay Wilder is someone with historic punching power and Fury was able to stop him twice. Again, respect to Ngannou, but he was breathing heavy from the 4th or 5th round on and Fury hardly pressed.

Francis has an unbreakable chin though. He can’t finish him like he can wilder.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#254 » by Rich Rane » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:13 am

Dupp wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:

Fury hardly tested Ngannou's chin at all, let alone try to finish him and Fury had plenty of chances to mount some sort of attack.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#255 » by Dupp » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:19 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Francis lineal MMA and Boxing HW champ.

Preach
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#256 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:01 am

Baddest Man on the Planet is clear, thats for sure. Tyson had at one time claimed to want the rematch in an MMA fight. But if he can't beat him in boxing, and you add kicks and takedowns...
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#257 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:00 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Baddest Man on the Planet is clear, thats for sure. Tyson had at one time claimed to want the rematch in an MMA fight. But if he can't beat him in boxing, and you add kicks and takedowns...

Lineal HW champ in UFC and boxing. People’s champ.

Triple champ right now.

All jokes aside, he did it. Even if he lost, he put on such a good show, and basically did the unthinkable. Anyone thinking he even had a snoball’s chance in hell thought it would be a lucky KO, not actually boxing acumen.

He is the baddest man on the planet, even if Jones were able to beat him, there is nobody else that ever walked this earth that could battle someone like Jones and someone like Fury like that. He’s 1 of 1.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#258 » by Dupp » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:27 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Dupp wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

Fury hardly tested Ngannou's chin at all, let alone try to finish him and Fury had plenty of chances to mount some sort of attack.

[tweet]
Read on Twitter
?s=46
[/tweet]

He tried but Francis is unbreakable. Hell fury even shot for a takedown.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#259 » by Rich Rane » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:40 pm

Dupp wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Dupp wrote:

[tweet]
Read on Twitter
?s=46
[/tweet]

He tried but Francis is unbreakable. Hell fury even shot for a takedown.

6th round elbow, which was completely embarrassing for Fury, but Ngannou still lost that round. You're not gonna find any fight fan, boxing or MMA, impressed with Fury's performance, especially against someone who didn't press the action for most of the fight.

Ngannou, to his credit, was patient and waited for a chance to counter throughout the fight and it paid off in the 3rd. He also kept his poise after that elbow and when he was winded.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,615

Post#260 » by Butch718 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 9:14 am

Usyk is licking his chops right now. Fury is food.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts