UFC 278

Moderator: lilfishi22

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,739

Re: UFC 278 

Post#21 » by gambitx777 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:39 pm

Dupp wrote:You guys can **** off with the colby talk. Why should this ass get another title shot? Belal, khamzat, Burns... ffs fight one of them maybe.
Because he's they guy who gave Usman the most trouble. Leon sniped him. Good on leon. He hit a killer neck kick. But comby was the only fighter in ages that almost legit be Usman. Colby for all his flaws is an amazing fighter. He deserves to fight Leon next and can probably beat Leon.

Still think the ufc needs a 165 belt just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#22 » by Susan » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:58 pm

Nobody wants to talk about Luke Rockhold rubbing his nose blood all over Costa?

CBR has to have thoughts on this moment. Weirdest fight I've seen in a minute.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#23 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:08 pm

Susan wrote:Nobody wants to talk about Luke Rockhold rubbing his nose blood all over Costa?

Def not a good role model for kids.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,180
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#24 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:20 pm

Colby won’t get a fight while he’s claiming brain damage. Same way they wouldn’t offer one to Hunt or Sanchez while they were complaining of neurologicsl damage. Anyway, Colby should have to beat some contenders and stop living off his rep as the Gus of the division.

Usman is gonna be off at least 6 months after that KO right? I would think Leon would want to defend at least one time before that.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,456

Post#25 » by SichtingLives » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:05 am

Dana wants Borz holding the belt and I'm of the mind that Nate was scheduled as a tune up for a title shot. As much sense as it makes to book a rematch with Usman, I think it makes more sense for the UFC to get Khamzat in there with Leon holding and I really just don't see them waiting another 8 months to a year to give Khazmat the shot. All of the sudden how this Diaz fight plays out becomes very important. Khamzat basically has to show that he deserves the shot over Usman next and thats going to take a dominant performance (with minimal damage).
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#26 » by Susan » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:20 am

SichtingLives wrote:Dana wants Borz holding the belt and I'm of the mind that Nate was scheduled as a tune up for a title shot. As much sense as it makes to book a rematch with Usman, I think it makes more sense for the UFC to get Khamzat in there with Leon holding and I really just don't see them waiting another 8 months to a year to give Khazmat the shot. All of the sudden how this Diaz fight plays out becomes very important. Khamzat basically has to show that he deserves the shot over Usman next and thats going to take a dominant performance (with minimal damage).

He's going to embarrass Nate.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#27 » by Dupp » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:28 am

gambitx777 wrote:
Dupp wrote:You guys can **** off with the colby talk. Why should this ass get another title shot? Belal, khamzat, Burns... ffs fight one of them maybe.
Because he's they guy who gave Usman the most trouble. Leon sniped him. Good on leon. He hit a killer neck kick. But comby was the only fighter in ages that almost legit be Usman. Colby for all his flaws is an amazing fighter. He deserves to fight Leon next and can probably beat Leon.

This isn’t even English and your point is even worse.

Leon knocked Usman out. Colby hasn’t fought any top welterweights bar Jorge. Keep walking.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#28 » by Dupp » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:30 am

SichtingLives wrote:Dana wants Borz holding the belt and I'm of the mind that Nate was scheduled as a tune up for a title shot. As much sense as it makes to book a rematch with Usman, I think it makes more sense for the UFC to get Khamzat in there with Leon holding and I really just don't see them waiting another 8 months to a year to give Khazmat the shot. All of the sudden how this Diaz fight plays out becomes very important. Khamzat basically has to show that he deserves the shot over Usman next and thats going to take a dominant performance (with minimal damage).

Yeah this ruined their plans. Khamzat probably fights belal next if Usman Leon timeline works out.

Khamzats rise really had the breaks put on with the covid time off and this. He’ll still get there but it was at a rapid rate before.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#29 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:07 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Usman being the GOAT at 170 was always bad, it’s even funnier now haha.

When you see these guys get dusted off at 4,5,6 defenses after being proclaimed GOAT, it makes you really appreciate the length of some of the streaks the actual mount rushmore put together.

Bu this is just as reactive as that. GSP got KOd too. It's what happens in this sport. Usman otherwise has not lost a fight in the UFC. Do you realize how insane that is? He's been in the UFC for a damn long time.

It's totally reasonable for him to be in the WW GOAT talk. He's still a top 3 all-time at WW, and was thoroughly dusting Leon.

Leon looked terrible. He was passive and his reaction time was ridiculously slow. He was letting Usman land anything he wanted and couldn't seem to counter-strike at all.

That head kick was entirely a function of Usman making an error of attention. IDK what he saw. I guess, he thought it was coming at his. A 1-2...was he slipping from a straight left? I don't think so. Because he also clearly was trying to protect his body. It was a baffling movement of his body, some late-fight failure.

LOL. People are crediting Leon for not Hendoing Usman on the ground. I think he was just too slow of reflex.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#30 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:12 am

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:
Susan wrote:Nobody wants to talk about Luke Rockhold rubbing his nose blood all over Costa?

Funny you should bring that up. This was the first fight I have ever watched with my kindergartner. She loved it! So many questions about what those two men were doing.

And it was actually a totally genuine learning experience. We talked about all of Luke's "big feelings" afterwards and that it's OK to feel sad. We also noted that his friends "Daniel", "Chito", "Ali", and "Gilbert" all gave him great big hugs as he went to the dressing room, and that he will be OK because he has his friends and family.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#31 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:16 am

It was awesome. What a compelling fight. Legitimately, Luke lived like 50 lifetimes worth of emotions in that 25 minute-ish period. He was effed and exhausted like 2 minutes into the fight, but pushed and pushed.

Not to mention that something was clearly going on in the weeks leading up the fight, surely making all of his so much more potent. He was so bitter and full of emotion in those pressers and in all the pre-fight interviews I saw.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#32 » by Dupp » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:18 am

Whole fight was weird. Luke looked exhausted from the start and even like he didn’t want to be there but he never quit and kinda kicked the **** outta costa.

Costa also didn’t look great. Not huge output and got really tired himself.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#33 » by Dupp » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:23 am

cowboyronnie wrote:

It was awesome. What a compelling fight. Legitimately, Luke lived like 50 lifetimes worth of emotions in that 25 minute-ish period. He was effed and exhausted like 2 minutes into the fight, but pushed and pushed.

Not to mention that something was clearly going on in the weeks leading up the fight, surely making all of his so much more potent. He was so bitter and full of emotion in those pressers and in all the pre-fight interviews I saw.

Yeah was a lot going on. Talked about having to get an abortion on Ariel’s show too. Legit feel bad for him, especially at the end of the fight.

Like you said, he was done at the start of the fight but showed great heart. Glad he went out without getting chinned. Hope he can find peace.

Also every single word he said about the ufc is100% factual. Despite scumbag calling it “jibberish”
Dupp
RealGM

Post#34 » by Dupp » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:26 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
GoRapstheoriginal wrote:

Funny you should bring that up. This was the first fight I have ever watched with my kindergartner. She loved it! So many questions about what those two men were doing.

And it was actually a totally genuine learning experience. We talked about all of Luke's "big feelings" afterwards and that it's OK to feel sad. We also noted that his friends "Daniel", "Chito", "Ali", and "Gilbert" all gave him great big hugs as he went to the dressing room, and that he will be OK because he has his friends and family.

How old?

How’d you explain the blood thing at the end? That was a strange one. Compelling but not something I could explain to my kids. Was just like a **** you to costa in the end.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:40 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Usman being the GOAT at 170 was always bad, it’s even funnier now haha.

When you see these guys get dusted off at 4,5,6 defenses after being proclaimed GOAT, it makes you really appreciate the length of some of the streaks the actual mount rushmore put together.

Bu this is just as reactive as that. GSP got KOd too. It's what happens in this sport. Usman otherwise has not lost a fight in the UFC. Do you realize how insane that is? He's been in the UFC for a damn long time.

It's totally reasonable for him to be in the WW GOAT talk. He's still a top 3 all-time at WW, and was thoroughly dusting Leon.

Leon looked terrible. He was passive and his reaction time was ridiculously slow. He was letting Usman land anything he wanted and couldn't seem to counter-strike at all.

That head kick was entirely a function of Usman making an error of attention. IDK what he saw. I guess, he thought it was coming at his. A 1-2...was he slipping from a straight left? I don't think so. Because he also clearly was trying to protect his body. It was a baffling movement of his body, some late-fight failure.

LOL. People are crediting Leon for not Hendoing Usman on the ground. I think he was just too slow of reflex.

This isn't reactive, I never thought he was as good as GSP from a technical standpoint, and I think getting dropped into title fights when you're 23 and having to defend against the very best of the division is a lot different than being undefeated when they "build you up"by not giving you your first ranked fighter until you're in your 30's. Guys like Jon, GSP, and Anderson(Who granted is different since he wasn't really a fresh face to the MMA world when he got to the UFC) basically got thrown right into the deep end, and Jon and GSP were very young and didn't get to just repeatedly fight guys they already beat to pad their only title defenses.

Kamaru is a dominant fighter and a dominant champion, but his "Is this guy the GOAT?" claim was basically going to be beating a streak that was put way out of context. He had a long way to go in terms of defending against the top 5 of his division to even start making those kinds of claims. Plus, we're pretending Jon actually lost, or he's really not close to the win streak.

Usman was 27 years old when he fought someone with a wikipedia page. GSP was 23 when he fought Matt Hughes lol. It's just a different animal. Usman is going to have a lot of work to do post 35+ vicious KO to make it a real discussion with GSP.

I just think even without all that, getting 4-5-6 title defenses is a lot different than 9-10-11, and it's kinda shown by how many of the dominant champions never make it past those numbers. It's just super hard and it's weird that people act like it's a given that someone at 5 or 6 is going to just double that easily.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#36 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:53 am

Dupp wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:
GoRapstheoriginal wrote:

How old?

How’d you explain the blood thing at the end? That was a strange one. Compelling but not something I could explain to my kids. Was just like a **** you to costa in the end.

She couldn't tell what he had done w the blood. When I explained, we both just did a big, "ewwwwwwww!" of delight. It's sorta right in the wheelhouse of a 5 yo. Blood boogers!

Rockhold earned a new fan.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#37 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:06 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

This isn't reactive, I never thought he was as good as GSP from a technical standpoint, and I think getting dropped into title fights when you're 23 and having to defend against the very best of the division is a lot different than being undefeated when they "build you up"by not giving you your first ranked fighter until you're in your 30's. Guys like Jon, GSP, and Anderson(Who granted is different since he wasn't really a fresh face to the MMA world when he got to the UFC) basically got thrown right into the deep end, and Jon and GSP were very young and didn't get to just repeatedly fight guys they already beat to pad their only title defenses.

Kamaru is a dominant fighter and a dominant champion, but his "Is this guy the GOAT?" claim was basically going to be beating a streak that was put way out of context. He had a long way to go in terms of defending against the top 5 of his division to even start making those kinds of claims. Plus, we're pretending Jon actually lost, or he's really not close to the win streak.

Usman was 27 years old when he fought someone with a wikipedia page. GSP was 23 when he fought Matt Hughes lol. It's just a different animal. Usman is going to have a lot of work to do post 35+ vicious KO to make it a real discussion with GSP.

I just think even without all that, getting 4-5-6 title defenses is a lot different than 9-10-11, and it's kinda shown by how many of the dominant champions never make it past those numbers. It's just super hard and it's weird that people act like it's a given that someone at 5 or 6 is going to just double that easily.

This is all fair.

I guess the issue is the meaning of, "in the conversation [for GOAT]". Kamaru is in the conversation in the sense that he is top 3ish. But no one (who isn't hyping or trolling) thought he was better than GSP. So it's like "in the conversation" just means proximate to the top position rather than sincerely being a candidate for it. In short, I don't think many/any thought Usman was GOAT.

Independent of that, I think Kamaru looked great. It is a sport where sometimes weird low-quality strikes put you out. A matter of arbitrary inches can mean a win or a KO loss. E.g. Condit headkicked GSP clean, and easily could have caught him at a slightly different position such that it finished Georges. It's not that it didn't hit Georges at a KO angle because Georges had superior defense.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:16 am

Yea man, totally. I don't want to sound totally derogatory. I'm just splitting hairs amongst the all time greats. I think it was just Dana's constant push that Kamaru is basically the GOAT now, or is like 1-2 title defenses away. That just didn't pass the eye or numbers test to me at all.

Kamaru absolutely deserves an instant rematch if he wants it, and also would and should be heavily favored going in, but I kind of hope we get some fresh matchups instead. So much of the top guys in this division haven't fought each other.

I think Leon is absolutely peaking right now, he's only 30 and is probably going to still get incrementally better, while Kamaru is probably going to have age and injuries begin to slowly or not so slowly erode at him. The might fight might edge a little closer, especially if it makes Kamaru hesitate a bit, or a bit more chinny, and gives Leon some of the gusto to actually open up his offense some. Kamaru seemed to have a not insignificant edge though, and I would think it would take a few more years of aging before Leon looks like a better fighter for a full 25 minutes.

The top just got a lot more shaken up and interesting either way though.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,739

Post#39 » by gambitx777 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:10 pm

Dupp wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:

This isn’t even English and your point is even worse.

Leon knocked Usman out. Colby hasn’t fought any top welterweights bar Jorge. Keep walking.
You can insult me all you want but that doesn't win any arguments. Typos or not, Colby is the next best guy after Usman. Leon was getting beaten pillar to post. He wasn't going to win that fight. He then made one of the most skilled set ups I've ever seen and landed one of the sickest knock outs in ufc history with that neck kick. That being said if Usman ducks or gets his hand up higher or Leon misses. Leon looses. Usman was the better fighter that night and sometimes the better fighter looses. Colby arguably, was winning that second fight before he got put out and was in a tight fight the first time before he broke his jaw. Just like Usman was winning here. Of all the fighters to fight Usman he gave him the most trouble Usman admits this in interviews. If Usman can't go, and Leon wants to fight soon. Colby deserves that fight if he can go. If Leon fights Usman or Colby next he is more than likely fighting the better fighter. But he's proven he can beat the better fighter several times. That's why he's the champ.

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:30 pm

If Colby beats Leon, it'll be by holding him against the cage and barely putting a bruise on him, and never coming close to any kind of finish.

Glad he won't be getting a title fight anytime soon anyway. His best win is getting beaten twice. It would be weird seeing Colby accept a fight with someone that isn't way past his prime and pushing up on 40 though.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts