UFC 279 - WAR DIAZ

Moderator: lilfishi22

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Re: UFC 279 - WAR DIAZ 

Post#81 » by Dupp » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:02 am

Anyone know any sites to watch replays besides mma core?
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#82 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:13 pm

Susan wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:I'd be surprised if there were an expiration date on ufc contracts.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2022/1/22/22894536/first-to-escape-the-champions-clause-francis-ngannou-unique-opportunity-ufc-contract-changes-ufc-270#:~:text=In%20an%20interview%20with%20ESPN's,the%205%20year%20termination%20date

In the past it was often assumed that the champion’s clause made a fighter’s contract effectively perpetual, thereby forcing them to resign. But Ngannou revealed a potential alternate possibility.

In an interview with ESPN’s Brett Okamoto, Ngannou disclosed that his contract “is over after 5 years.” According to Ngannou he signed the agreement in December of 2017, but since UFC promotional agreements generally commence on the first fight of an agreement, which for Ngannou was UFC 220, the 5 year termination date should be January 20, 2023. A full year from now.

Oh, nice.

Maybe I'm thinking of something other era. I seem to remember Randy being tied in .

NO-KG-AI has a good question, then. Why get sign up to get smushed by Khamzat at all?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#83 » by REDDzone » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:28 pm

That's weird, I remember Ariel said not too long ago that the reason the UFC had Nate locked up is that they had him on the hook for one more fight, and every time they offered him a fight, the contract got extended by 6 months if he turned it down. So they just kept offering him Khamzat and it kept extending because he didn't accept. IDK what changed, or maybe all contracts have different terms?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,933

Post#84 » by Jasen777 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:26 pm

REDDzone wrote:That's weird, I remember Ariel said not too long ago that the reason the UFC had Nate locked up is that they had him on the hook for one more fight, and every time they offered him a fight, the contract got extended by 6 months if he turned it down. So they just kept offering him Khamzat and it kept extending because he didn't accept. IDK what changed, or maybe all contracts have different terms?

There could be a difference of opinion on what some of the terms mean and they haven't been tested in court.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#85 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:36 pm

REDDzone wrote:That's weird, I remember Ariel said not too long ago that the reason the UFC had Nate locked up is that they had him on the hook for one more fight, and every time they offered him a fight, the contract got extended by 6 months if he turned it down. So they just kept offering him Khamzat and it kept extending because he didn't accept. IDK what changed, or maybe all contracts have different terms?

Maybe there was a limit on how many fights they could offer and keep "extending" or whatever. I remember GSP saying something about his contract having a "sunset" clause after a certain amount of time too. I think Francis mentioned he's free in January regardless of what happens.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#86 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:17 pm

But GSP just had a charity fight against DLH nixxed by Dana. So his sunset clause has still not run out???
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#87 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:31 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:But GSP just had a charity fight against DLH nixxed by Dana. So his sunset clause has still not run out???

In July of 2021 GSP said his would expire "in about 2 years" and that's when he'll take a fight.

November will make 5 years since the Bisping fight, I wonder if that's the date, or if it's actually sometime in 2023.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Dupp
RealGM

Post#88 » by Dupp » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:14 pm

Contracts are all by number of fights with a sunset clause way down the line.

Nate had 1 fight left but his sunset clause was coming up before October, otherwise they would have probably sent him to Dubai for 280.

Nate also didn’t turn down khamzat multiple times. He did it exactly 1 time over the year ago. Then the ufc were able to extend him 6 months and strung him along forever.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#89 » by Dupp » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:19 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Susan wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:I'd be surprised if there were an expiration date on ufc contracts.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2022/1/22/22894536/first-to-escape-the-champions-clause-francis-ngannou-unique-opportunity-ufc-contract-changes-ufc-270#:~:text=In%20an%20interview%20with%20ESPN's,the%205%20year%20termination%20date

In the past it was often assumed that the champion’s clause made a fighter’s contract effectively perpetual, thereby forcing them to resign. But Ngannou revealed a potential alternate possibility.

In an interview with ESPN’s Brett Okamoto, Ngannou disclosed that his contract “is over after 5 years.” According to Ngannou he signed the agreement in December of 2017, but since UFC promotional agreements generally commence on the first fight of an agreement, which for Ngannou was UFC 220, the 5 year termination date should be January 20, 2023. A full year from now.

Oh, nice.

Maybe I'm thinking of something other era. I seem to remember Randy being tied in .

NO-KG-AI has a good question, then. Why get sign up to get smushed by Khamzat at all?

Because if he turns down a fight ufc can extend his contract another 6 months.

These ufc contracts are insanely bad and one sided
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#90 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:24 pm

Dupp wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:

Oh, nice.

so the UFC could offer GSP a fight every 6 months (minus a day) and extend him forever??
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#91 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:28 pm

There's just no one more awkward and cringe than Tony. The style is one thing (Blue Lives Matter dad meets 1995 Alice in Chains fan) but all of that neediness for Nate's respect in the ring. Fuuck. I just watched a compilation of all the bowing and high-gives and ****. Ewwww. It's so weird.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#92 » by Dupp » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:30 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Dupp wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:Oh, nice.

so the UFC could offer GSP a fight every 6 months (minus a day) and extend him forever??

That I don’t know actually. Might be different because he’s retired and he just has to wait for the time to run out.

The fact they didn’t just let him go off and do whatever he wanted the last couple years is so scummy. Legend of the sport.

That’s an interesting question though i might try find out.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts