UFC 280 Makhachev Submits Oliveira

Moderator: lilfishi22

PeteyPablo
Rookie
And1: 831

UFC 280 Makhachev Submits Oliveira 

Post#1 » by PeteyPablo » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:10 pm

Lightweight championship up for grabs and In the second round , the fighter with the most submissions taps out.

Thought ??
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,390

Re: OT - UFC 280 Makhachev Submits Oliveira 

Post#2 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:18 pm

Great card. Main event and Yan vs O’Malley were terrific.

Makhachev is going to be hard to defeat
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,619

Post#3 » by shi-woo » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:23 pm

My thoughts are that O'Malley should have lost that fight, but if the refs stop putting so much stock in takedowns that lead to nothing but hugging I'm 100% okay with that. I train, blue belt in jiu-jitsu, and do a little standing and wrestling. I want you to take me down, so it's never made sense to me why they reward points for takedowns especially when a guy gets right back up. See Chael Sonnen vs Bisbing if you want to know what I'm really talking about. Also, Yan is Russian, so that might have played a part in the decision lol

I thought that TJ is a bum, and he never should have fought. I was wondering why he was a +150, and the fact that they didn't disclose the injury lost so many people a lot of money. The UFC lost a ton of credibility with me because of that. Really, THAT WAS NOT OKAY

I bet on Charles because i'm obviously a BJJ guy, but once I saw the size differential I knew he had no shot. Charles is a good striker, but like the Justin fight showed, among others, is that he is susceptible to lowering his guard in exchanges. I knew if Israel landed even one it was over, because he was not going to out wrestle him.

Overall that main card was low key trash
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,439

Post#4 » by Pablo Escobar » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:33 pm

The champion has a name and his name is Islam Makhachev!
Plata o Plomo?
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#5 » by mixerball » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:35 pm

no one wanted to fight him for years, hence "hE dIdNt bEaT aNy tOp 1o fIgHtErS", now they have to fight him.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,295

Post#6 » by goodboy » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:39 pm

Dominated Charles in every aspect of MMA, scary.

Also Yan got highway-robbed.
Bright
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,179

Post#7 » by Pelon chingon » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:45 pm

Combat sports is going to take a bit hit until P4P CHAMPION Canelo comes back. :D
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,390

Post#8 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:48 pm

Don't think ufc results need an ot thread on the gb.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,619

Post#9 » by shi-woo » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:00 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Don't think ufc results need an ot thread on the gb.

Not everyone here wants to talk about the Lakers, which is what the GB turns into during the regular season. Atleast this thread isn't one of those.

Likewise, it's kind of been an unspoken tradition on this site for over a decade that a thread is made during most huge multi-title fight cards...

This isn't the first, not i it the last
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,390

Post#10 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:03 pm

shi-woo wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:Don't think ufc results need an ot thread on the gb.

Not everyone here wants to talk about the Lakers, which is what the GB turns into during the regular season. Atleast this thread isn't one of those.

Likewise, it's kind of been an unspoken tradition on this site for over a decade that a thread is made during most huge multi-title fight cards...

This isn't the first, not i it the last

I get that. I just don't think ufc results deserve their own ot thread on here. There's an entire board for talking mma/combat on this site.
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,678

Re: UFC 280 Makhachev Submits Oliveira 

Post#11 » by Kingdibs19 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:00 pm

PeteyPablo wrote:Lightweight championship up for grabs and In the second round , the fighter with the most submissions taps out.

Thought ??

Was going to watch it later. Thanks for the spoiler on the general board title. Mods please ban.
KembaWalker wrote:If you think you need a gun to answer the door, you probably shouldn’t answer the door. Call the police

Re: innocent ex military Roger Fortson gunned down by police at his own house
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,257

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:08 pm

Pablo Escobar wrote:The champion has a name and his name is Islam Makhachev!

the new king, don't see anyone dethroning him soon

these Dagestanis are just a different breed man

shoutout to Belal too, stole Brady's -0
PeteyPablo
Rookie
And1: 831

Post#13 » by PeteyPablo » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:47 pm

Kingdibs19 wrote:
PeteyPablo wrote:Lightweight championship up for grabs and In the second round , the fighter with the most submissions taps out.

Thought ??

Was going to watch it later. Thanks for the spoiler on the general board title. Mods please ban.

Watching it later makes sense if you could
Not watch it live. But with modern day things like ESPN alerts and other social media - You will have heard the outcome several times before you watched it .
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#14 » by mattg » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:16 am

Outcome was as expected with Islam winning. However, no seems to be talking about this, Islam hurt Charles on the feet twice (the 2nd time directly leading to the finish)...but otherwise Islam's grappling wasn't nearly as good as advertised. Like not even remotely as good. Oliveira managed to sweep Islam to stand back up in round 1 (which given that Islam was not even trying to throw significant ground and pound or really advance position should not have happened). Additionally, Charles pulled guard to go to the ground in round 1 until he had Islam pushed against the cage after standing back up who then hip tossed him (why Charles is engaging in a grappling exchange like that is a mystery, just terrible fight IQ). Islam wasn't able to easily impose takedowns like you'd have expected and Charles gifted him favorable positions for whatever reason.

Ultimately it didn't matter as Charles had no striking defense and just ate bombs on the feet which compromised him, but IMO Islam's grappling actually went down a notch in my book based on this fight, I expected more. Islam's striking however definitely should get more credit than it has previously.

Now, the most important thing is for Islam to actually fight often. Given that he literally never gets hit, there's no excuse for him not to be fighting 3 times a year. Would be beyond disappointing (and unfortunately totally on brand) for Makachev to defend the belt once a year going forward.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,411

Post#15 » by brutalitops » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:28 am

mixerball wrote:no one wanted to fight him for years, hence "hE dIdNt bEaT aNy tOp 1o fIgHtErS", now they have to fight him.

He ducked RDA and numerous fights. Yeah great fighter but don't say he was being avoided all this time while he himself avoided guys
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,411

Post#16 » by brutalitops » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:32 am

mattg wrote:Outcome was as expected with Islam winning. However, no seems to be talking about this, Islam hurt Charles on the feet twice (the 2nd time directly leading to the finish)...but otherwise Islam's grappling wasn't nearly as good as advertised. Like not even remotely as good. Oliveira managed to sweep Islam to stand back up in round 1 (which given that Islam was not even trying to throw significant ground and pound or really advance position should not have happened). Additionally, Charles pulled guard to go to the ground in round 1 until he had Islam pushed against the cage after standing back up who then hip tossed him (why Charles is engaging in a grappling exchange like that is a mystery, just terrible fight IQ). Islam wasn't able to easily impose takedowns like you'd have expected and Charles gifted him favorable positions for whatever reason.

Ultimately it didn't matter as Charles had no striking defense and just ate bombs on the feet which compromised him, but IMO Islam's grappling actually went down a notch in my book based on this fight, I expected more. Islam's striking however definitely should get more credit than it has previously.

Now, the most important thing is for Islam to actually fight often. Given that he literally never gets hit, there's no excuse for him not to be fighting 3 times a year. Would be beyond disappointing (and unfortunately totally on brand) for Makachev to defend the belt once a year going forward.

This. Oliveras tactic of just going to ground and hoping to overwhelm guys didn't work as Islam is himself a better grappler then what Charlie Olives has faced before

Well deserved win however.

Card was nuts. Hype trains derailed. My multis shattered. I picked less then 50% of the winners first time in years. Had Belal/Beneil and Aljo. Blew everything else
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#17 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:50 am

It's the norm on this board to not post spoilers in the subject line. There are many sports discussed here, people want to be able to discuss e.g. the boxing results without having an MMA event spoiled.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#18 » by FreeThrowLine » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:14 am

Yan was robbed, even O'Malley was in shock in the post fight interview as he didn't think he'd get his name called. If that knee doesn't open up Yan, I don't believe they score it that way, which is a shame because despite the cut it didn't really wobble Yan

I'm glad the TJ/Sterling snooze-fest was over relatively fast, I'm in the UAE at the moment and it was past midnight when that fight ended, crazy that fighters would be expected to wait so long for a main card, that would get on my nerves having all day to work through the emotions of such a big fight.

I like Charles, glad he had his chance to win the belt but I like Islam more and he won quite convincingly. Even as a fan, I'm surprised he made it look that easy, Charles really didn't put up much of a fight other than a few submission attempts that didn't look like they were going anywhere.

I'm just enjoying the comments on social media of all the McGregor fans and bigots that had so much to say before the fight and how they're all logging out of their social media accounts now :lol:
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#19 » by mixerball » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:42 am

brutalitops wrote:
mixerball wrote:no one wanted to fight him for years, hence "hE dIdNt bEaT aNy tOp 1o fIgHtErS", now they have to fight him.

He ducked RDA and numerous fights. Yeah great fighter but don't say he was being avoided all this time while he himself avoided guys

not another one of you
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#20 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:57 pm

mixerball wrote:
brutalitops wrote:

not another one of you

You said no one wanted to fight him. An obvious lie.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts