Mayweather to sign with UFC?

Moderator: lilfishi22

El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Mayweather to sign with UFC? 

Post#1 » by El Hardee » Sat Jun 7, 2008 7:30 pm

Not sure how reliable the source is but here it is:

This news is exclusive to wrestlingherald.com and wrestling-edge.com. Usually I wouldn't post MMA news here but considering Mayweather's tie-in with WWE and the magnitude of this announcement I figured i'd post this:

I just got off the phone with a source very close to the situation and I am told that Floyd Mayweather and his representatives have been in contact with UFC's Dana White as late as Wednesday but "possibly as late as last night" according to the source.

UFC is expected to make several announcements on Thursday.

1) Anderson Silva will be fighting in the light heavyweight class
2) Chuck Liddell will fight in the main event on the September pay-per-view in Atlanta

However, the big announcement being rumored is that Floyd Mayweather will be signing or has signed with UFC. For those that did not read our last update, Mayweather announced his retirement from boxing. If this signing turns out to be the case this would be a huge coup for UFC as it would surely attract some of the boxing fans that have not given UFC a chance.

Mayweather recently was part of WrestleMania XXIV in Orlando where he participated in a match against Paul "Big Show" White. Mayweather was open to do a rematch but now with the UFC deal that looks to be off the books
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#2 » by BlackMamba » Sat Jun 7, 2008 8:18 pm

i think he had his time to prove himself as a good (maybe great) boxer, but know i think he's all for the money.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,770

Post#3 » by Cammo101 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 11:37 pm

Mayweather was clearly a great boxer. One of the best ever. I'll take him in MMA if he is going to take it serious.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,485

Post#4 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:58 am

I don't see this happening... for any boxer to be successful in MMA he is going to have to have one punch knockout power. Mayweather doesn't have that. There are some boxers who I think can go into MMA can be a big hit... but Mayweather isn't one of them.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:36 am

Mayweather is suppose to be able to make 20 million or more per fight if he joins the MMA? I don't see it happening!
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#6 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:54 am

Blame Rasho wrote:I don't see this happening... for any boxer to be successful in MMA he is going to have to have one punch knockout power. Mayweather doesn't have that. There are some boxers who I think can go into MMA can be a big hit... but Mayweather isn't one of them.

With the small gloves, he would have one punch ko power. The real question would be can he stay off his back?
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#7 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Jun 8, 2008 5:59 am

Cammo101 wrote:With the small gloves, he would have one punch ko power. The real question would be can he stay off his back?

Yeah he be stronger.. but you can't compare him to other guys like Kermit Cintron. Anyways, it is really dumb for any boxer to actually believe that they can excel in MMA esp in the different weight classes that they have. All they would have is a punchers chance. Mayweather isn't a knockout artist. He hasn't been one due to his injuries to his wrists. Mayweather would be totally out of his element and in his first MMA fight and could have his combat fighting career over by some no name in MMA.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#8 » by Headliner » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:39 pm

What division would he want to fight in?
I would hate to see him go against BJ Penn...Penn would turn him into mush.
I would assume they would feed him strictly punchers for the first year while he practiced take down defense and wrestling...and that still would not get him anywhere near the level he would have to be to win against a skilled mma fighter.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#9 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:18 pm

I think Mayweather could be a very good MMA fighter if he worked at it. He is an elite level athlete with the fastest hands in the world. If he could develop solid take down defense he could punish good fighters on their feet.

My guess is he would fight at 155 in the UFC, though he would seem better suited for 145.
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#10 » by A.J. » Sun Jun 8, 2008 9:22 pm

I doubt he goes to UFC. He is retiring for good.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#11 » by Headliner » Mon Jun 9, 2008 12:13 am

Cammo101 wrote:I think Mayweather could be a very good MMA fighter if he worked at it. He is an elite level athlete with the fastest hands in the world. If he could develop solid take down defense he could punish good fighters on their feet.

My guess is he would fight at 155 in the UFC, though he would seem better suited for 145.

at 155 i think its impossible to get the take down defense needed to be the top of that division. Those guys are **** lightening quick. Mayweather would spend the whole time trying to defend the take down against amazing athletes.

If he went to 145, i'd love to see him take Faber, but Faber is an all time great at that weight.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#12 » by BlackMamba » Mon Jun 9, 2008 12:43 am

maybe it's just some sort of publicity stunt for the de la hoya fight...
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#13 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Jun 9, 2008 12:46 am

BlackMamba wrote:maybe it's just some sort of publicity stunt for the de la hoya fight...

that no boxing fan want to see again...
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#14 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:13 am

He can't make a tenth of the money in MMA he can in boxing, and at much more risk.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#15 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:14 am

He's totally deluded if he thinks Cotto is so little a threat that MMA is the bigger challenge.

One thing Mayweather does have above all else is an unbelievable ability to train and recover from training.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#16 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jun 9, 2008 2:15 am

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

With the small gloves, he would have one punch ko power. The real question would be can he stay off his back?

He wouldn't be able to hit with anywhere near full power with such small gloves, his hands are too fragile.
SpReEfOrAlL
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#17 » by SpReEfOrAlL » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:46 pm

If he takes it seriously, fights like one or 2 cans in a year, i think he can eventually be a threat. If he takes it seriously. and doesnt look at it like from a boxer stand point. if he looks at it as mixed martial artist and is willing to learn everything he has to instead of just trying to box then he will succeed. In retrospect. his boxing is already light years ahead of everyone else's in the UFC. He has no need to train that part, so if he puts the same focus into something like wrestling, ala take down defense. Then i think he would be elite.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#18 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:59 pm

SpReEfOrAlL wrote:If he takes it seriously, fights like one or 2 cans in a year, i think he can eventually be a threat. If he takes it seriously. and doesnt look at it like from a boxer stand point. if he looks at it as mixed martial artist and is willing to learn everything he has to instead of just trying to box then he will succeed. In retrospect. his boxing is already light years ahead of everyone else's in the UFC. He has no need to train that part, so if he puts the same focus into something like wrestling, ala take down defense. Then i think he would be elite.

I just can't see it. MMA and boxing are a worlds different. There was talks of a Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones and we all know that Silva would get killed in a boxing fight. Mayweather would totally be out of his element. Hell, he wouldn't take a paycut to do MMA. I will give Mayweather his props, he is just an unbelievable boxer, but that doesn't mean his skills and talent will correlate into a MMA fight.

Anyways, lets just say for the sake of agreeing he goes sign a deal, he will only fight the scrubbiest of scrubs. He has ducked other boxers and wouldn't sign on to a fight where there is a legit threat to him. I think the only positive thing that could happen if he were to fight in MMA/UFC is that the top fighters would get call out for a bigger piece of the pie within time. I think elite fighters in MMA don't get paid enough.
SpReEfOrAlL
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#19 » by SpReEfOrAlL » Mon Jun 9, 2008 10:44 pm

but thats the thing. you act like he isnt an amazing athlete. he is. he is an awsome athlete. and with enough training i like his chances. i have no doubt that he can adapt. Look at Marcus Davis.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#20 » by Cammo101 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 10:58 pm

I'm with Spree. If he took it serious and learned good takedown defense, he could be a threat. He is not a big enough star that the UFC should shell out tons of money for him though. He is a great athlete, but he is not a crossover guy to mainstream America.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts