NXT TakeOver: XXV Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: NXT TakeOver: XXV Discussion 

Post#61 » by Spens1 » Mon Jun 3, 2019 3:10 am

Stanford wrote:
Spens1 wrote:i know its the WWE style but having a superstar hit their finisher twice of three times and still kick out, its stupid.

No-selling huge sequences and multiple finishers is more of an indy wrestling thing. RoH in particular.

I think even ROH has toned it down a lot from the old days on the finisher part. Also when ROH was really good, finishers really mattered and usually when a finisher was hit, it was over (99% of the time), though there was certainly no selling (though i almost think that was because of the ROH lockerroom being pretty bad at the time).

In smaller indy's though, absolutely, but they're performing in front of like 20 people and aren't household names, WWE does the stars no favours by making their finishers look so weak (especially the main eventers). NXT should look more towards a New Japan or All Japan style approach where you may get special moves hit but once a finisher is hit, its over, no kick outs (or if it is, it should be once a year, if that) and if it is kicked out, then the move kicked out is demoted to special move status and the superstar gets a new finisher. That makes more sense for a brand that is focused on the sport aspect of professional wrestling.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,130

Post#62 » by daoneandonly » Mon Jun 3, 2019 12:46 pm

The thing with NXT is heels can actually win without cheating, or a ref bump. It's fairly simple and yet the main roster rarely does it outside of Lesnar. Every heel has to be the chicken sh$$ guy who can't win fairly, and it makes no sense. Life doesn't work that way, evil prevails a lot, so let it happen.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#63 » by bestnamezRtaken » Mon Jun 3, 2019 1:07 pm

improper wrote:
Stanford wrote:
Spens1 wrote:i know its the WWE style but having a superstar hit their finisher twice of three times and still kick out, its stupid.

No-selling huge sequences and multiple finishers is more of an indy wrestling thing. RoH in particular.

Really my only complaint with NXT is that the Takeovers tend to go a bit overboard with this. I like matches a lot better when guys keep trying to hit their finisher but miss or get countered which culminates into a huge moment when they finally hit and then it's over. Kicking out of finishers should be reserved for big shows or at the very least only happen a couple of times a year per wrestler.

Kicking out of a finisher should be shocking and mean something. I also think that more non-PPV matches should end with signature moves rather than finishers.

I agree with you on the part of, I think wrestlers should win matches with signature moves on TV/House shows and finishers on PPVs. Like, I'd love to see KO win with a Stunner, AJ win by submitting someone with the Calf Crusher, Roman winning with the Superman Punch etc. Then when someone does a finisher on a TV/House show, it'd get more of a pop, that means the match is 98% over with, almost 0 chance of someone kicking out of it. They need to protect finishers more often.
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,050

Post#64 » by Stanford » Mon Jun 3, 2019 2:43 pm

Spens1 wrote:
I think even ROH has toned it down a lot from the old days on the finisher part.

Yeah, fair enough. I meant RoH in the old days. **** Davey Richards.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,253

Post#65 » by LLJ » Mon Jun 3, 2019 6:45 pm

daoneandonly wrote:The thing with NXT is heels can actually win without cheating, or a ref bump. It's fairly simple and yet the main roster rarely does it outside of Lesnar. Every heel has to be the chicken sh$$ guy who can't win fairly, and it makes no sense. Life doesn't work that way, evil prevails a lot, so let it happen.

Bryan won a lot of his matches fairly during his heel run.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#66 » by improper » Mon Jun 3, 2019 8:12 pm

bestnamezRtaken wrote:I agree with you on the part of, I think wrestlers should win matches with signature moves on TV/House shows and finishers on PPVs. Like, I'd love to see KO win with a Stunner, AJ win by submitting someone with the Calf Crusher, Roman winning with the Superman Punch etc. Then when someone does a finisher on a TV/House show, it'd get more of a pop, that means the match is 98% over with, almost 0 chance of someone kicking out of it. They need to protect finishers more often.

I think every wrestler should have three to five signature moves along with one to two finishers. Kicking out of a finisher needs to mean something, and it shouldn't happen more than once or twice on a PPV. I feel like in WWE it's damn near every match on PPVs.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#67 » by Spens1 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 7:52 am

Stanford wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
I think even ROH has toned it down a lot from the old days on the finisher part.

Yeah, fair enough. I meant RoH in the old days. **** Davey Richards.

Ah, the Cornette years, yeah, those where rough and that really ended the golden era.

Return to Pro Wrestling