WWE Royal Rumble Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,215

Re: WWE Royal Rumble Discussion 

Post#21 » by heatwillbeback » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:33 am

Rumble match definitely hit all the right notes.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,215

Post#22 » by heatwillbeback » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:35 am

Stanford wrote:That was a really great rumble. I believe we will srill be talking about this one in 5-10+ years.

Drew is an interesting choice. Crowd was totally behind him. He has some Roman potential though. And by that I mean he has potential to be loathed for getting a push. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

With all he has been to get here, I don't think so. Issue with Roman isn't in ring- he is fine and continues to show that. It's just he got pushed to the moon from the beginning and never earned his way.

Roman in the rumble at this point is being used to get crowd reaction for the ultimate winner. I think thats 3 or 4 second place finishes now?
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#23 » by The_Brecht » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:35 am

Stanford wrote:Twitter and reddit seem pissed about Charlotte winning. Their comments suggests that she's not a **** mega talent and not obviously the top performer in the division.

Did someone have huge momentum going in that I'm just not aware of?

The past couple of weeks/months Charlotte hasn't been that good.
I guess that's the main issue.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,879

Post#24 » by Spens1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Got to seeing it and its not bad, having Drew win was a very good call and now you can have him go over Brock and provided you don't change the formula (i.e. don't have him cut too many promos and when he does, make it short and sweet and let him do his thing cause he can do them well). Best rumble match in a decade at least (at least since Edge won it back in 2011 i believe).

I did laugh though at Ricochet kicking Brock in the balls from behind, he's meant to be a face right :lol: not only did he look like a geek on raw during that promo (key hint, he sucked at promos before WWE, he still sucks now at it, give him Stokley Hathaway since i believe he's been hired by NXT, to be his mouthpiece). On Brock himself, didn't like how he dominated Kingston mostly (no progression almost from him) but i kind of get it, if they're building towards McIntyre vs Brock (you make brock look like a beast, so when he puts over McIntyre, you have a main eventer that can actually draw). I do agree though that Brock's run his course though, enough of this.

Womans royal rumble though......Charlotte has to be the most overpushed woman of all time, give it a rest, i know she's good but she isn't some brilliant generational talent like her daddy that you could put the company on her back. This would have been the perfect opportunity (much like the mens rumble) to have built someone, instead we got lolcharlottewins.

Just give Gable his release and let him work in Japan honestly, at least New Japan would make him a believable U.S title threat (or at the very least to start with, IWGP jr heavyweight champ contender at the top of the division). This booking is shambolic, in a normal wrestling company the older talent puts over the younger talent, especially if said older talent is coming back and should theoretically have ring rust. But yeah, New Japan jr then U.S Champ inside a year where he could have matchups with Moxley, Ospreay, Archer, given how good he is in the ring, he'd fit right in.

Don't like the idea of monster heel Asuka tapping out, doesn't Becky have another finisher.

Also the idea that Bayley needs a rollup to beat Lacey Evans of all people is laughable but at least it makes sense since she's a heel. Also this match was just not good to begin with, too awkward and clunky, combination of a lack of chemistry and Lacey just not being that good to begin with (she's on par with the likes of aaliyah or one of the bottom tier NXT girls, that's not good enough given the talent that WWE has now).

Carrillo vs Andrade is underwhelming but honestly, Carrillo kind of is underwhelming, i think Andrade should be built up as a strong u.s champ, meaning he needs to actually verse bigger names and borderline main eventers honestly, i'd have him feud and beat Orton to get him credibility and have him feud and beat someone of an AJ Styles or Daniel Bryan level.

Roman vs Corbin was literally every Roman match for the last 4 years. and 30 minutes for these two, nah they needed like a 10 minute brawl (short enough so both don't get gassed).

Fiend vs Bryan was good but again, kind of expected, in this case though, not a bad thing at all. Bryan can have a good match with just about anyone (and if he can't have a good match with someone, i'm putting it on the opponent tbh).

Also Cole is the Worst play by play of all time, change my mind, Vince or not, i do not miss him in the slightest (Phillips and Lawler should be passable).

Overall, good mens rumble, womans rumble was alright up until the finish, singles matches did not deliver i think for the most part (sheamus vs Gable as a match was good though, as much as i complained about the booking and Bryan vs Fiend MOTN).
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,149

Post#25 » by daoneandonly » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:33 pm

The_Brecht wrote:
Stanford wrote:Twitter and reddit seem pissed about Charlotte winning. Their comments suggests that she's not a **** mega talent and not obviously the top performer in the division.

Not just that, whats the end game here? CHarlotte vs Bayley? meh, Charlotte vs Lynch for the 12,456th time? This should have been bazler's moment
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,080

Post#26 » by Stanford » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Asuka rules

Love the work she's been doing recently.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#27 » by Stanford » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:44 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
The_Brecht wrote:

Not just that, whats the end game here? CHarlotte vs Bayley? meh, Charlotte vs Lynch for the 12,456th time? This should have been bazler's moment

I think you should have momentum to win a rumble. I don't believe a rumble win should be where momentum begins.

Bazler should win the title in the next 12 months. Maybe even at Mania. But I dont think this was the spot for her.

Just a philosophical difference.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,145

Post#28 » by WRau1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:48 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
The_Brecht wrote:

I'm guessing Baszler v Bayley and Lynch v Charlotte. Although Baszler v Bayley is heel v heel so who knows but Baszler did pin her at SS so at least she storyline has claim to an opportunity.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,349

Post#29 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:22 pm

Watching McIntyre is akin to watching paint dry. Never ever ever have seen the appeal to him both as a heel or face. As bland as it gets.

It appears we’re getting Drew/Brock, Fiend/Roman, Sasha/Bayley, Charlotte/Lynch as the respective main events. Can’t say I’m interested in any of those matches. Maybe Sasha/Bayley given the magic they’ve made before.
Do it for Chuck
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#30 » by tugs » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:44 pm

Storytelling in the rumble matches were superb. I like how they played on Brock's low blow to Ricochet, only for Ricochet to do it to Brock. And we're finally getting a Drew moment! He needs to win, he has to, clean or not.

Charlotte was too obvious, should've been Shayna and call her up.

Wanted Asuka to win but the way the match ended was your typical hero got her revenge. Not bad, but not a fan.

And man oh man great to see Edge back. Is this a one time thing though? Don't see him doing this full time.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#31 » by iMoreland » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:06 pm

Charlotte > Shayna. Shayna has had way too many boring matches in NXT. She's like the female version of Corbin for me. Not to mention, Charlotte is 6 years younger than Shayna. So it's not like Shayna is the future of the women's division or anything.

Drew is the right choice too. I've always liked him in that tweener role and that seems to be where he's going back to. Drew > Brock at Mania is $. Brock was fantastic in the rumble. He is one of the best to ever step in that ring.

Also GREAT seeing Edge back. Never thought I'd see him wrestle again. He looked incredible for his age and being out of the ring for so long.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,145

Post#32 » by WRau1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Baszler is coming off of a very good run in NXT. Other than (I think NXT TOR) vs Yim, I think she had a string of very good - great matches.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Stanford » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:11 pm

WRau1 wrote:Baszler is coming off of a very good run in NXT. Other than (I think NXT TOR) vs Yim, I think she had a string of very good - great matches.

I think you're right. Things really clicked for her in the last half (I'm making up a fraction here) of her reign.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#34 » by improper » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:25 pm

The main problem with Charlotte winning is that she's the one person on the roster who gains absolutely nothing from a win. The Rumble needs to be used to either build up new talent or to build to a mega match. The former obviously doesn't apply to Charlotte, as she's the most over-exposed woman on the main roster. And given the current champs, the latter clearly does not apply either.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,137

Post#35 » by Dominator83 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:38 pm

Late to the dance but just wanted to post what everybodys been posting. That Rumble match was awesome and played to perfection from top to bottom
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Spens1
RealGM

Post#36 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:25 am

iMoreland wrote:Charlotte > Shayna. Shayna has had way too many boring matches in NXT. She's like the female version of Corbin for me. Not to mention, Charlotte is 6 years younger than Shayna. So it's not like Shayna is the future of the women's division or anything.

Drew is the right choice too. I've always liked him in that tweener role and that seems to be where he's going back to. Drew > Brock at Mania is $. Brock was fantastic in the rumble. He is one of the best to ever step in that ring.

Also GREAT seeing Edge back. Never thought I'd see him wrestle again. He looked incredible for his age and being out of the ring for so long.

Neither is Charlotte, she's in her mid 30's as well iirc and has gotten worse (significantly) over the last few months and is already a star, what do they need her to win the rumble for. I agree that Baszler may not be the best choice (besides, she could believably step up automatically without a rumble win) but another young star or even someone like a Sasha Banks (who constantly gets buried for no reason) could have benefited greatly from a big win.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#37 » by tugs » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:25 am

Yeah forgot to say that whenever given ample amount of time, Brock is a great performer

And Metalingus is just hitting differently right now. Happy for Egde
Spens1
RealGM

Post#38 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:27 am

tugs wrote:Yeah forgot to say that whenever given ample amount of time, Brock is a great performer

And Metalingus is just hitting differently right now. Happy for Egde

I like how that's changed, in the mid to late 2000's when Edge was the top heel, after that first riff it would always be accompanied with nuclear heat :lol:
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Stanford » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:35 am

tugs wrote:Yeah forgot to say that whenever given ample amount of time, Brock is a great performer

Motivated Brock is one of the best in the business. Maybe the best in WWE. The man just does not get enough credit for all the aspects of wrestling he excels at. Emoting. Telling a big story in subtle ways. Selling! I love seeing him sell.

He's been assigned this (partially earned) reputation as a guy who just throws people around for 5 minutes, but he's proven he can do so much more.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by Stanford » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:39 am

Spens1 wrote:what do they need her to win the rumble for.

Because she's a star and the rumble is supposed to be an important event.

Has there been an example of someone who wasn't a star going in, winning the rumble and turning into a star because of it? That seems more like MitB than the rumble. I can't think of a single example of that in the the rumble.

Return to Pro Wrestling