Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: ROH (Ring of Honor) Thread 

Post#161 » by Spens1 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:25 pm

safi wrote:
Spens1 wrote:what wwe level of bs was that main event

I mean i like Cole in the Bullet Club (though it just feels NWO circa 98 where there was way to many factions and it outlived its welcome) but they sacrificed the main event for it? very unlike ROH. Anyway Almost Mt Rushmore, almost (needs more Steen), if this leads to Cole in NJPW and him going after either the IWGP Jr Title (Kushida vs Cole, two guys who are night and day in terms of character) or better yet, the IWGP World Title (Cole vs Okada, books itself, the two best young wrestlers in the world), both would be quality to see

Also Page in the Bullet Club :lol: really, out of the whole roster you got Adam Page, he's basically the same level as a Cody Hall type (he will be very much a young lion), he adds nothing.

surprised Ishii passed out, i thought he would lose but i was thinking fluky win, not this, anyway i think its about time anyway, Fish is pretty good and deserves at least one run. In saying that, the man Dalton Castle needs to get that title soon, he's too damn good not to get a title.

Did like ACH coming out as Luffy, did mark out a bit for that :lol:

I had the same reaction as you to the main event, but what I wonder about is how much of it was that this was completely the wrong city to do this? This crowd sucked. They were into Okada, Tanahashi and The Young Bucks but little else. But Colt Cabana was, by far, the most over person on that show. This was a crowd that was there to see Colt Cabana win the ROH Title and either you give that to them or don't but if they were doing this angle it should've been somewhere other than Chicago and/or someone other than Cabana in the main event.

But Adam Cole was the no-brainer choice for this angle and there's so much they can do with him in ROH and in NJPW. I don't like that this seemed to be Jay Lethal's babyface turn. I think the best route is having him stay heel and be the lesser of two evils babyface in a program with Cole and drop the title and then do a slow turn with him and eventually he becomes a full-fledged babyface and beats Cole for the title.

they made the crowd flat i think, nothing overly to mark out over (except the Kushida match which was high octane and great and Okada, Moose v Tana, Elgin)

Not sure if its a Lethal babyface turn, i hope not, i've enjoyed him as a heel/tweener. Cobana is a proper babyface so that makes sense.

Also people expected a title change, i mean Cabana winning in Chicago would have been one of the biggest pops ever potentially.

I guess the foundations are there though for a good program but i agree, wrong place, wrong time for that sort of thing, to be honest i haven't been sold on Delerious's booking for a while now (especially this last year). With Dutch Mantell on the market, maybe get him as a head booker and surround him with a few guys (including Delerious) and it might improve the product
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#162 » by skbucks1985 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:31 am

Spens1 wrote:
safi wrote:
Spens1 wrote:what wwe level of bs was that main event

I mean i like Cole in the Bullet Club (though it just feels NWO circa 98 where there was way to many factions and it outlived its welcome) but they sacrificed the main event for it? very unlike ROH. Anyway Almost Mt Rushmore, almost (needs more Steen), if this leads to Cole in NJPW and him going after either the IWGP Jr Title (Kushida vs Cole, two guys who are night and day in terms of character) or better yet, the IWGP World Title (Cole vs Okada, books itself, the two best young wrestlers in the world), both would be quality to see

Also Page in the Bullet Club :lol: really, out of the whole roster you got Adam Page, he's basically the same level as a Cody Hall type (he will be very much a young lion), he adds nothing.

surprised Ishii passed out, i thought he would lose but i was thinking fluky win, not this, anyway i think its about time anyway, Fish is pretty good and deserves at least one run. In saying that, the man Dalton Castle needs to get that title soon, he's too damn good not to get a title.

Did like ACH coming out as Luffy, did mark out a bit for that :lol:

I had the same reaction as you to the main event, but what I wonder about is how much of it was that this was completely the wrong city to do this? This crowd sucked. They were into Okada, Tanahashi and The Young Bucks but little else. But Colt Cabana was, by far, the most over person on that show. This was a crowd that was there to see Colt Cabana win the ROH Title and either you give that to them or don't but if they were doing this angle it should've been somewhere other than Chicago and/or someone other than Cabana in the main event.

But Adam Cole was the no-brainer choice for this angle and there's so much they can do with him in ROH and in NJPW. I don't like that this seemed to be Jay Lethal's babyface turn. I think the best route is having him stay heel and be the lesser of two evils babyface in a program with Cole and drop the title and then do a slow turn with him and eventually he becomes a full-fledged babyface and beats Cole for the title.

they made the crowd flat i think, nothing overly to mark out over (except the Kushida match which was high octane and great and Okada, Moose v Tana, Elgin)

Not sure if its a Lethal babyface turn, i hope not, i've enjoyed him as a heel/tweener. Cobana is a proper babyface so that makes sense.

Also people expected a title change, i mean Cabana winning in Chicago would have been one of the biggest pops ever potentially.

I guess the foundations are there though for a good program but i agree, wrong place, wrong time for that sort of thing, to be honest i haven't been sold on Delerious's booking for a while now (especially this last year). With Dutch Mantell on the market, maybe get him as a head booker and surround him with a few guys (including Delerious) and it might improve the product

It wasn't the best ROH show I've ever seen but I thought it was a decent show. The opener was decent and with a crowd favorite like Dalton Castle winning, it got a flatter reaction than I thought he would. And Liger's a legend and for some in this crowd this was the first time they've ever seen him and for most of them it'll be the last time they ever see him and Cheeseburger's one of the most popular guys on the roster but that match wasn't as hot as I thought it should be. And the tag title match was, I thought, far better than the tag match with the NJPW guys but wasn't an over because it didn't have the star power. I didn't love the second half of the card until the main event.

It seemed like this was more of an Indy crowd than an ROH crowd as they liked the stars, Okada, Tanahashi, Young Bucks and of course the hometown guy. But guys that are super over with a normal ROH crowd such as Dalton Castle, Kyle O'Reilly and The Briscoes weren't nearly as over with this crowd.

I don't know if Lethal fully turned face but they certainly made him the focus of the beatdown from Bullet Club and a face turn is certainly happening at some point. I just think they should hold off on it and take Lethal on a journey and then eventually he turns, wins back the title and vanquishes Bullet Club. And if they do have Lethal drop the title to Cole and go on that journey, its not like they have a shortage of opponents in the interim, Cabana, Moose, Kyle O'Reilly, Jay Briscoe and he's not my favorite but Michael Elgin as well.

Whenever I've seen Joe Koff talk about Delirious he praises him in the strongest way. Of course you wouldn't expect him to trash him in interviews but I get the sense that he truly believes that he has the best booker in the world.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#163 » by Spens1 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:36 am

safi wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
safi wrote:

It wasn't the best ROH show I've ever seen but I thought it was a decent show. The opener was decent and with a crowd favorite like Dalton Castle winning, it got a flatter reaction than I thought he would. And Liger's a legend and for some in this crowd this was the first time they've ever seen him and for most of them it'll be the last time they ever see him and Cheeseburger's one of the most popular guys on the roster but that match wasn't as hot as I thought it should be. And the tag title match was, I thought, far better than the tag match with the NJPW guys but wasn't an over because it didn't have the star power. I didn't love the second half of the card until the main event.

It seemed like this was more of an Indy crowd than an ROH crowd as they liked the stars, Okada, Tanahashi, Young Bucks and of course the hometown guy. But guys that are super over with a normal ROH crowd such as Dalton Castle, Kyle O'Reilly and The Briscoes weren't nearly as over with this crowd.

I don't know if Lethal fully turned face but they certainly made him the focus of the beatdown from Bullet Club and a face turn is certainly happening at some point. I just think they should hold off on it and take Lethal on a journey and then eventually he turns, wins back the title and vanquishes Bullet Club. And if they do have Lethal drop the title to Cole and go on that journey, its not like they have a shortage of opponents in the interim, Cabana, Moose, Kyle O'Reilly, Jay Briscoe and he's not my favorite but Michael Elgin as well.

Whenever I've seen Joe Koff talk about Delirious he praises him in the strongest way. Of course you wouldn't expect him to trash him in interviews but I get the sense that he truly believes that he has the best booker in the world.

overall it was a solid show don't get me wrong, and Castle winning was a shock and i think thats why it may have come off flat. I think everyone expected a Roddy win easily.

Liger and Cheesburger not getting reactions was bizzare, Cheesburger especially as he is the most over talent in the company now :lol:

Yeah thinking it was just a general Indy/Casualish crowd who wanted to see the big names and hometown guys.

I doubt Lethal is face, not so fast, especially with Cabana still in the picture for a pure babyface (and other top faces like Jay Briscoe and Kyle O'Reilly), Lethal i think is a tweener which he pretty much already was anyway. I could see the title going to Cole (hopefully this means he resigns and doesn't go to NXT, ROH need him in the worst way) and just being an overall prick, however i think he drops the title to O'Reilly after defeating Cabana, Hero, Briscoe, Lethal again etc.

Delirious isn't a terrible booker, but like Gedo & Jado they have moments of absolute stupidity and they make decisions sometimes that undoes their good work. I just think maybe having a more experienced booker to oversee and help the brand would lead to even better storylines. One thing Delirious (maybe i'm being a bit harsh here) hasn't done well in the last year is have good, viable contenders for the World Title (Jay Lethal has been booked as god tier basically), now thats being fixed here with Jay, Cole and Cabana all being there abouts now for the title, you could even throw O'Reilly into that mix if you wanted to.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#164 » by skbucks1985 » Sat May 14, 2016 12:04 am

Spens1 wrote:
safi wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

overall it was a solid show don't get me wrong, and Castle winning was a shock and i think thats why it may have come off flat. I think everyone expected a Roddy win easily.

Liger and Cheesburger not getting reactions was bizzare, Cheesburger especially as he is the most over talent in the company now :lol:

Yeah thinking it was just a general Indy/Casualish crowd who wanted to see the big names and hometown guys.

I doubt Lethal is face, not so fast, especially with Cabana still in the picture for a pure babyface (and other top faces like Jay Briscoe and Kyle O'Reilly), Lethal i think is a tweener which he pretty much already was anyway. I could see the title going to Cole (hopefully this means he resigns and doesn't go to NXT, ROH need him in the worst way) and just being an overall prick, however i think he drops the title to O'Reilly after defeating Cabana, Hero, Briscoe, Lethal again etc.

Delirious isn't a terrible booker, but like Gedo & Jado they have moments of absolute stupidity and they make decisions sometimes that undoes their good work. I just think maybe having a more experienced booker to oversee and help the brand would lead to even better storylines. One thing Delirious (maybe i'm being a bit harsh here) hasn't done well in the last year is have good, viable contenders for the World Title (Jay Lethal has been booked as god tier basically), now thats being fixed here with Jay, Cole and Cabana all being there abouts now for the title, you could even throw O'Reilly into that mix if you wanted to.

We'll see how they play it on TV but without going too much into spoilers, there's a multi-man match with Lethal and some ROH babyfaces against The Bullet Club guys on an upcoming episode. Maybe its an my enemy of my enemy is my friend thing but on initial first viewing it appears that a babyface turn has happened.

This shouldn't really be a compliment but its worth mentioning because its such a contrast to Vince, but I think Delirious' biggest strength is his willingness to go with who gets over with the crowd. I'm guessing when Dalton Castle was signed he very well may have saw him as undercard comedy act but he got over greater than that and he can deliver in the ring so they've continued to go with it. I think with Lethal it was a combination of him being a really good centerpiece heel champion but also a lack of really strong babyfaces. That area in particular, I think they're better at now with Elgin I think being better than he was as champion after his performance in the G-1, Moose being not on that level quite yet but a lot closer than he was a year ago and Cabana being back. When Lethal started his run you had Jay Briscoe (which they weren't going back to after he took the title), Roderick Strong, Kyle O'Reilly and little else on the babyface side.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#165 » by Spens1 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:19 am

safi wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
safi wrote:

We'll see how they play it on TV but without going too much into spoilers, there's a multi-man match with Lethal and some ROH babyfaces against The Bullet Club guys on an upcoming episode. Maybe its an my enemy of my enemy is my friend thing but on initial first viewing it appears that a babyface turn has happened.

This shouldn't really be a compliment but its worth mentioning because its such a contrast to Vince, but I think Delirious' biggest strength is his willingness to go with who gets over with the crowd. I'm guessing when Dalton Castle was signed he very well may have saw him as undercard comedy act but he got over greater than that and he can deliver in the ring so they've continued to go with it. I think with Lethal it was a combination of him being a really good centerpiece heel champion but also a lack of really strong babyfaces. That area in particular, I think they're better at now with Elgin I think being better than he was as champion after his performance in the G-1, Moose being not on that level quite yet but a lot closer than he was a year ago and Cabana being back. When Lethal started his run you had Jay Briscoe (which they weren't going back to after he took the title), Roderick Strong, Kyle O'Reilly and little else on the babyface side.

Yeah Delirious isn't an stubborn idiot like Vince, then again hardly anyone in wrestling is, even TNA gets this right nowadays.

Dalton almost was certainly a comedy guy at first, but landed up being a solid mid carder who will get to the main event eventually. Also they cooled off with Elgin despite the push (he was getting cold with the crowd) and Briscoe dropped the title too when he was cooling down. On Elgin though he's better in New Japan, he wasn't getting over in ROH and rightfully so tbh, he was a bland, vanilla babyface, i mean his bitter heel run was good but he wasn't ever getting over as a face big time again until his New Japan run, i mean they love their big guys who can wrestle.

Moose and Dijak i think are in a similar position, like they're close (both of them) but i wouldn't put them into the world title picture just yet, those two and Castle should form a big part of the TV title picture with all 3 holding that title first before going up and competing for the world title (probably in 12-18 months i'd guess since ROH runs are longish), only thing is i could easily see Moose being NXT target #1 (over Adam Cole even) and i can't see Moose saying no either, because i am sure they'd want to push Moose as the face of NXT and eventually give him a main event run in the WWE (well as long as Stokely comes with him, i am ok with that)

Face Lethal? so quickly, seems rather strange since he was literally the biggest and one of the more douchy heels on the roster but anyway, anyone vs Cole could be made into a face :lol:
Spens1
RealGM

Post#166 » by Spens1 » Sat May 14, 2016 6:19 am

Cedric Alexander has left ROH (i think for real this time), looks like Veda is following suit

its a shame because i was liking Heel Alexander a lot more than him as a face. Seems rather dumb also to not have anything for one of the better young athletes (i know ACH is more charismatic and there is a ton of guys like Sydal, Ferreira and even Rush who won the top prospect), moreso after he was the one to give Moose his first loss which set up what should have been a long term feud (could have made Cedric look legit).

Should have booked him a lot more, maybe had him go up against a Kushida, hell he could have/should now go to New Japan. He can wrestle pretty damn well and would add to a very light junior division. I mean Ospreay and Kushida are the top 2 Jr's right now, and Sydal and Riccochet are a Jr tag team (they should drop it to the young bucks again though and have Sydal and Kushida go solo), realistically no reason why Alexander couldn't be a guy just below Ospreay or Kushida, not exactly the main guy but a guy who can still pick up wins here and there and maybe even get the title.

I don't know, after seeing what Japan has done for Elgin in terms of revitalising him completely, maybe Alexander has that similar sort of thing. Oh and camera man san will be on Veda for sure :lol:

More likely though they go to TNA, considering Veda has been working there and lets be honest, Alexander would go in and be the #1 guy in the rubbish X-Division now
Spens1
RealGM

Post#167 » by Spens1 » Tue Aug 2, 2016 9:23 am

this thread hasn't seen much action, then again that isn't a suprise seeing how bad ROH has been recently, Sinclairs really need to fire him its getting to WWE levels of bad (actually WWE has been doing better recently).

Everything is just so stale and their's no attempt and building up new stars or bringing in new blood for the inevitable exodus (i mean Moose, Roddy Strong and Cedric Alexander is gone already, they're probably losing Adam Cole & the young bucks following suit, and worst case scenario, Jay Lethal with those two).

I mean build up Dalton Castle if you have to, just do something

Though Cody Rhodes is debuting at Final Battle which will be good (wonder who it will be against though?)
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#168 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Aug 2, 2016 3:17 pm

I think a big reason this thread doesn't get much action is because not everyone even gets it on their cable package. It doesn't even air in 29 states in the US.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#169 » by Marcus » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:00 pm

Spens1 wrote:this thread hasn't seen much action, then again that isn't a suprise seeing how bad ROH has been recently, Sinclairs really need to fire him its getting to WWE levels of bad (actually WWE has been doing better recently).

Everything is just so stale and their's no attempt and building up new stars or bringing in new blood for the inevitable exodus (i mean Moose, Roddy Strong and Cedric Alexander is gone already, they're probably losing Adam Cole & the young bucks following suit, and worst case scenario, Jay Lethal with those two).

Though Cody Rhodes is debuting at Final Battle which will be good (wonder who it will be against though?)

Maybe against Roddy since he's supposed to be on his way out?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Spens1
RealGM

Post#170 » by Spens1 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 11:18 am

Marcus wrote:
Spens1 wrote:this thread hasn't seen much action, then again that isn't a suprise seeing how bad ROH has been recently, Sinclairs really need to fire him its getting to WWE levels of bad (actually WWE has been doing better recently).

thought Roddy was gone already after he lost to Mark Briscoe?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#171 » by Marcus » Thu Aug 4, 2016 3:41 pm

Spens1 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

more than likely. I'm out the loop with RoH at the moment. I just heard the rumor that Roddy signed with the E so I assumed he still had a few dates to fulfill first.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Spens1
RealGM

Post#172 » by Spens1 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 3:06 am

Marcus wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

more than likely. I'm out the loop with RoH at the moment. I just heard the rumor that Roddy signed with the E so I assumed he still had a few dates to fulfill first.

yeah iirc he lost his last match with the stip being if roddy lost he leaves ROH or something like that, could be wrong and he may have some dates left
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#173 » by jr lucosa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:02 pm

The table spot from the Page Briscoe match at Death Before Dishonor... damn
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#174 » by iMoreland » Fri Dec 2, 2016 3:01 am

Haven't been paying much attention to ROH lately, but this is a great promo. Adam Cole has it all.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#175 » by Marcus » Fri Dec 2, 2016 3:47 am

iMoreland wrote:

Haven't been paying much attention to ROH lately, but this is a great promo. Adam Cole has it all.

He's been my favorite in the business for a long time.
Watch More Basketball

Spens1
RealGM

Post#176 » by Spens1 » Sat Dec 3, 2016 11:25 am

Final battle was honestly fantastic, i've been really down on this company this year (i honestly think they've been the worst major US promotion, yes worse than TNA and WWE) but they really had a fantastic show top to bottom.

Cabana and Castle was a great match, 6 man tag was fun, tag team match was great (plus Broken Matt about to make his return to the Honorable Wrestling to DELETE the bucks of youth) though in saying that, what the hell happened to Jay Briscoe, what bet did he lose to get that haircut (i'd understand if it was any other member of the ROH roster except Jay Briscoe i really would).

TV title match was great (poor Bobby Fish though, my condolences to him and his family in this tough time), Scrull is already getting heat which is great. Ospreay has a death wish still, what was that about slowing down (look 7 concussions and 2 slipped discs in a year, yeah he needs to change his style drastically from what it is, its not even lucha libre at this stage, more like death-high flying).

And that main event, wow, glad for KOR winning, it is sad though since this is highly likely to be one of the last times we see Adam Cole in a ROH ring (well he will have his fairwell match i guess). Still though onwards and upwards i guess (NXT Champ next year, calling it now).
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#177 » by Dunthreevy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Hmmm....
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Spens1
RealGM

Post#178 » by Spens1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:02 am

Dunthreevy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hmmm....

don't blame him, crowd thoroughly buried him and he had a horrid last year. He is way better off in Japan or if he comes back to America it will be with WWE/NXT and i honestly cannot blame him. Fans turned on him fast, way too fast, which made him understandibly bitter.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#179 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:43 pm

Spens1 wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hmmm....

don't blame him, crowd thoroughly buried him and he had a horrid last year. He is way better off in Japan or if he comes back to America it will be with WWE/NXT and i honestly cannot blame him. Fans turned on him fast, way too fast, which made him understandibly bitter.

Wow, a few years ago I thought Elgin was on his way to becoming one of the top handful of pro wrestlers in the world.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Spens1
RealGM

Post#180 » by Spens1 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:36 am

Ruzious wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hmmm....

Wow, a few years ago I thought Elgin was on his way to becoming one of the top handful of pro wrestlers in the world.

his ROH title run and that whole baseball and canada fiasco really ruined his ROH run. It was pretty badly handled by both sides really but ROH probably didn't show any sincerity and compassion given what happened with him that year.

I think he's back on track though, i think he'll have a big year in japan next year (wouldn't be surprised if he becomes IC champ and makes a solid New Japan Cup/G1 run).

This is probably the wider problem with ROH right now, they're losing talent at a faster rate than they usually do and aren't replacing them fast enough. Before they'd lose 1 star a year, maybe 2. This year alone they've lost Alexander, ACH, Moose, Bennett and are likely to lose Cole and Lethal too. They really need to slow the bleeding down otherwise they're not going to be able to maintain their level and will start falling behind TNA and fast.

Return to Pro Wrestling