WWE Network Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Re: WWE Network Thread 

Post#441 » by SDM » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:59 pm

Check Youtube... there's a bunch of Nitros there.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#442 » by studcrackers » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:41 am

fell asleep watching the mr. perfect dvd. had no clue how close he and wade boggs were. he saved wade boggs life
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#443 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Oct 2, 2014 12:44 am

The Stone Cold one was good for nostalgia but they are not really telling us any secrets or anything new which sucks.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#444 » by Dunthreevy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:15 pm

Got this email today...

"Dear WWE Network Subscriber,

Today WWE Network will begin to run limited video advertisements.

Here's what you can expect:

• No commercial breaks during scheduled programming
• Limited advertising between shows
• Occasional advertising before our video-on-demand content "

Hopefully it's not too annoying.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#445 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:52 am

I knew with commercials during PPVs this day had to be coming.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#446 » by SDM » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:09 pm

This is one of those things that if they assumed people would be OK with the changes, they should have instituted them in the launch. There's no way they discussed the project without discussing ads when it was launched... so they're just now realizing that this makes them more money? That it can help offset the huge start up costs? All at the cost of a little good will from some existing subscribers (I doubt the majority would care). Still though... where's the mind for business?
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#447 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:19 pm

FWIW, I watched a little bit of stuff on the network yesterday and there weren't any commercials or ads that ran before the program started.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#448 » by studcrackers » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:45 pm

I feel asleep watchin a countdown thing last night and there was an ad before. No biggie, as long as there are no commercials on ppvs and hopefully this will keep from the rates being raised
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#449 » by WRau1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Was able to watch the Cruiserweight Monady Night Wars last night, I liked it. Although they kept saying that WCW went out and got all these guys from different parts of the world when all they did is poach ECW for pretty much their entire CW Roster. They also did a good chunk of the show on Dean Malenko and not being able to break the Cruiser Weight label but he did have a good run with the 4 Horsemen where he wasn't used exclusively as a Cruiser Weight.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#450 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:55 pm

SDM wrote:This is one of those things that if they assumed people would be OK with the changes, they should have instituted them in the launch. There's no way they discussed the project without discussing ads when it was launched... so they're just now realizing that this makes them more money? That it can help offset the huge start up costs? All at the cost of a little good will from some existing subscribers (I doubt the majority would care). Still though... where's the mind for business?

They expected/hoped they'd be around a million (in the US) by now and they're not at all close to that number. These commercials are a way to offset there disappointing numbers.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#451 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm watching an old live event at MSG from October of 1986 and my goodness have times changed. Piper had a live Piper's Pit in the ring with Heenan and Orndorff as the guests. This is right when Piper became a tweener/face. Before he got to the Heenan/Orndorff stuff he was in the ring just getting the crowd fired up with his usual stuff. He had just recently had his feud with Adrian Adonis and they had been going back and forth in Piper's Pit and The Flower Shop segments. At one point he says something like "you know I got tired of sitting at home and turning the tv on every Saturday and seeing...

(and I quote)

.... some F^G on wrestling talking about how tough he was, so I broke his arm. You will not see The Flower Shop anymore, and I'm damn glad."

Piper and Heenan then went on to deliver pure gold in the ring and the segment was highly entertaining. They bleeped out the word he used, which is one of the only instances of censorship I can recall seeing on WWE Network, but it was clear as day that's what he said. The part that really threw me was how much the crowd ate it up when he said what he said. Times have changed quite a bit.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#452 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:27 pm

A few years later when he faced Bad News Brown at WM 6 he came out and half his body was painted black, including his face, so yes Roddy Piper wrestled a match in black face. The craziest part of all of this is that in 1990 the guy wearing black face was the babyface
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#453 » by jade_hippo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:53 am

Piper was a master at pushing buttons on the crowd. Still is actually, aside from the "crazy Alcatraz" thing with Hogan in WCW, Piper has been on the money most of his career with his character.

I remember the interview before the BNB match, he started standing sidways so you couldn't tell he was half black, being a little kid, blew me away when he turned and was half black.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#454 » by Dunthreevy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:42 pm

I remember that match with BNB. Seeing it today (just watched it earlier this year) it's pretty amazing to see the crowd reaction to all that stuff.

I've always loved Piper but he reminds me a lot of one of my drunk Uncles. The way they talk, their hair styles, their temperaments, everything has always been really similar.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#455 » by Dunthreevy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Watching the Mr. Perfect documentary. The first 25 minutes they really lay it on thick about him being "perfect" in every facet of life, to the point that it's pretty obnoxious. The documentary turns (for the better) when Wade Boggs tells the story of why he considers Hennig his guardian angel. It got really dusty in my living room during that story. If you haven't seen the documentary, you should watch it for that story at least.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#456 » by Dunthreevy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:07 pm

Watched the first episode of the Rivalries series, Austin vs. McMahon Part 1. The episode didn't really cover anything that we didn't already know or haven't seen before. It was a nice flashback and what made the Attitude Era blow up but that's about it. It was entertaining because anything with Steve Austin is entertaining to me, but I wouldn't say it's a must watch.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#457 » by skbucks1985 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:27 pm

I assume its basically the same format they've used for the various documentaries they've done. They'll have clips of some of there high moments and interviews with Austin, McMahon and others about the feud. Basically it'll feel like a really good fan-made video about the subject.

The obvious way to do this series is to do it like they did Bret-Shawn documentary with the two of them just sitting and talking about the feud. But, like the Monday Night War series they seem content to do this half-assed.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#458 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Nov 4, 2014 8:40 pm

Are only new subscribers able to go month to month at 9.99? Or can current subscribers cancel at anytime now? I didn't see anything for me to cancel. I haven't been able to watch much, even PPVs.

I wonder the long term future of this network, it seems to be flopping bad. I see now November is free for new subscribers.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#459 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Nov 5, 2014 2:43 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Are only new subscribers able to go month to month at 9.99? Or can current subscribers cancel at anytime now? I didn't see anything for me to cancel. I haven't been able to watch much, even PPVs.

I wonder the long term future of this network, it seems to be flopping bad. I see now November is free for new subscribers.

Current subscribers get switched over to the month-to-month deal at the end of their current contracts. I just got an email about it a few days ago.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#460 » by Stanford » Thu Nov 6, 2014 8:23 pm

It looks like the UK is getting the same sort of cable channel setup as Canada.

What a disaster. Why couldn't they have figured this out before they rolled out the network? I don't want to watch TV. I hate TV. I need something I can watch on an ipod, phone or pc. Otherwise, they're not getting a cent from me. It's a shame.

Return to Pro Wrestling