Re: WWE SummerSlam 2014 

Post#2 » by Dunthreevy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Predictions

Brock over Cena
Dolph over Miz
Paige over AJ
Steph over Brie (Nikki heel turn)
Reigns over Orton
Rollins over Ambrose (some sort of funny business with the lumberjacks, either a debut or someone turns)
Swagger over Rusev
Wyatt over Jericho
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#3 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:44 pm

I haven't watched in awhile, but the card looks pretty awesome, no?
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#4 » by Dunthreevy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:I haven't watched in awhile, but the card looks pretty awesome, no?

I think so.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#5 » by WRau1 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Looking forward to Dolph v Miz, Rollins v Ambrose and Wyatt v Jerocho. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Paige v AJ ends up being one of the best matches on the card.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#6 » by skbucks1985 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:43 pm

I would be surprised if AJ-Paige ended up as a top match, but not as a knock on them but because I think this is one of the better top-to-bottom cards they've had in a while. Cena-Lesnar, Miz-Ziggler, and Ambrose-Rollins are matches I have high expectations for. And after last month's relatively mediocre showing, I think Wyatt and Jericho are going to be on a mission to prove that was an anomaly. And Reigns-Orton is probably the match I'm least excited about but I could easily see that match over performing expectations.

My only complaint is I feel like we're missing that really strong #2 match. Last year the #2 match was Punk-Lesnar, in 2012 it was Punk-Cena-Big Show, in 2011 it was the blow off to the Christian-Orton feud. Brie and Stephanie has been positioned as the number 2 match but that'll probably be relatively short (7-10 mins) and will be full of run-ins and other chicanery. Ambrose-Rollins has had the longest build but it hasn't been positioned as a top match. Wyatt-Jericho could've been but the build has felt flat, although I thought the segment on Raw was the best since the night Jericho returned. Orton-Reigns logically should be, Orton's a bajillion time World Champ and Reigns has the rocket on his back but both guys have very obvious weaknesses and I don't think its the best stylistic matchup.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Dunthreevy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:21 pm

safi wrote:I would be surprised if AJ-Paige ended up as a top match, but not as a knock on them but because I think this is one of the better top-to-bottom cards they've had in a while. Cena-Lesnar, Miz-Ziggler, and Ambrose-Rollins are matches I have high expectations for. And after last month's relatively mediocre showing, I think Wyatt and Jericho are going to be on a mission to prove that was an anomaly. And Reigns-Orton is probably the match I'm least excited about but I could easily see that match over performing expectations.

My only complaint is I feel like we're missing that really strong #2 match. Last year the #2 match was Punk-Lesnar, in 2012 it was Punk-Cena-Big Show, in 2011 it was the blow off to the Christian-Orton feud. Brie and Stephanie has been positioned as the number 2 match but that'll probably be relatively short (7-10 mins) and will be full of run-ins and other chicanery. Ambrose-Rollins has had the longest build but it hasn't been positioned as a top match. Wyatt-Jericho could've been but the build has felt flat, although I thought the segment on Raw was the best since the night Jericho returned. Orton-Reigns logically should be, Orton's a bajillion time World Champ and Reigns has the rocket on his back but both guys have very obvious weaknesses and I don't think its the best stylistic matchup.

They confirmed RVD vs. Cesaro for the kickoff show a little earlier. Aside from that I'm hoping the order of matches goes...

1 - Miz vs. Dolph
2 - AJ vs. Paige
3 - Swagger vs. Rusev
4 - Jericho vs. Wyatt
5 - Reigns vs. Orton
6 - Steph vs. Brie
7 - Ambrose vs. Rollins
8 - Cena vs. Lesnar

I think in that order it would keep the crowd engaged throughout the show. On paper, there's really not a throw away match on this card. And the scary thing is the closest thing to a throw away would be Reigns vs. Orton, IMO.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#8 » by skbucks1985 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:
safi wrote:I would be surprised if AJ-Paige ended up as a top match, but not as a knock on them but because I think this is one of the better top-to-bottom cards they've had in a while. Cena-Lesnar, Miz-Ziggler, and Ambrose-Rollins are matches I have high expectations for. And after last month's relatively mediocre showing, I think Wyatt and Jericho are going to be on a mission to prove that was an anomaly. And Reigns-Orton is probably the match I'm least excited about but I could easily see that match over performing expectations.

They confirmed RVD vs. Cesaro for the kickoff show a little earlier. Aside from that I'm hoping the order of matches goes...

1 - Miz vs. Dolph
2 - AJ vs. Paige
3 - Swagger vs. Rusev
4 - Jericho vs. Wyatt
5 - Reigns vs. Orton
6 - Steph vs. Brie
7 - Ambrose vs. Rollins
8 - Cena vs. Lesnar

I think in that order it would keep the crowd engaged throughout the show. On paper, there's really not a throw away match on this card. And the scary thing is the closest thing to a throw away would be Reigns vs. Orton, IMO.

I like that lineup. I'd probably see it a touch differently at a few places. But the biggest disagreement would be with Ambrose-Rollins at second from the top. That's the match spot that if anything goes long is most likely to get its time cut. And Stephanie-Brie is the match that can most afford to get its time cut and should be in that spot although you could probably still abide by that philosophy putting Stephanie-Brie at third from the top like you did.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Dunthreevy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:22 pm

safi wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:

1 - Miz vs. Dolph
2 - AJ vs. Paige
3 - Swagger vs. Rusev
4 - Jericho vs. Wyatt
5 - Reigns vs. Orton
6 - Steph vs. Brie
7 - Ambrose vs. Rollins
8 - Cena vs. Lesnar

I like that lineup. I'd probably see it a touch differently at a few places. But the biggest disagreement would be with Ambrose-Rollins at second from the top. That's the match spot that if anything goes long is most likely to get its time cut. And Stephanie-Brie is the match that can most afford to get its time cut and should be in that spot although you could probably still abide by that philosophy putting Stephanie-Brie at third from the top like you did.

I gave that a little bit of thought, but was more so just going off keeping the crowd engaged at the right times. I think it's possible, but not prepared to say likely, the crowd dumps on the Steph/Brie match. The one way they could curb the chance of that happening would be to have them pull a Steph/Trish from No Way Out 2001 where they really just brawled the whole time. A lot of that match was outside the ring and it was more of a fight than a wrestling match. Considering neither Steph or Brie are all that phenomenal at actual wrestling I think it's likely that they'll try to duplicate the Steph/Trish match as much as possible. Hell if Steph wants to expose Brie's butt the way she did Trish that would just be icing on the cake.

Having Ambrose/Rollins go on before the main event would make sure the crowd was amped up and happy leading into the Cena/Lesnar match. If they need to cut time, they should do that with the Steph/Brie match or even the Reigns/Orton match since there really aren't many people banking on that being anything memorable.

Overall though, I think we've got a pretty good PPV ahead of us tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#10 » by skbucks1985 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:
safi wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:

1 - Miz vs. Dolph
2 - AJ vs. Paige
3 - Swagger vs. Rusev
4 - Jericho vs. Wyatt
5 - Reigns vs. Orton
6 - Steph vs. Brie
7 - Ambrose vs. Rollins
8 - Cena vs. Lesnar

I gave that a little bit of thought, but was more so just going off keeping the crowd engaged at the right times. I think it's possible, but not prepared to say likely, the crowd dumps on the Steph/Brie match. The one way they could curb the chance of that happening would be to have them pull a Steph/Trish from No Way Out 2001 where they really just brawled the whole time. A lot of that match was outside the ring and it was more of a fight than a wrestling match. Considering neither Steph or Brie are all that phenomenal at actual wrestling I think it's likely that they'll try to duplicate the Steph/Trish match as much as possible. Hell if Steph wants to expose Brie's butt the way she did Trish that would just be icing on the cake.

Having Ambrose/Rollins go on before the main event would make sure the crowd was amped up and happy leading into the Cena/Lesnar match. If they need to cut time, they should do that with the Steph/Brie match or even the Reigns/Orton match since there really aren't many people banking on that being anything memorable.

Overall though, I think we've got a pretty good PPV ahead of us tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.

I think the crowd will be emotionally invested into the Brie-Stephanie match, I think its decreased a little after Raw but I don't think they've completely checked out. And in terms of technical prowess, this will be by far the worst match on the card and so the objective is to have enough smoke and mirrors to keep them invested until the match is over. My fear is that means a lot of smoke and mirrors in a fairly long match. The Trish match went 8.5 minutes and while I said I could see it going 10, I think 10 is too much. 8.5 is probably the edge of what I think these two are capable off whilst keeping the crowd invested.

I don't want to see Reigns-Orton get cut. And not because I have a burning desire to see the match but because this is Reigns' first PPV singles match (that's shocking isn't it), and I want to see him go for 15 minutes.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Dunthreevy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:04 pm

safi wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:
safi wrote:

I think the crowd will be emotionally invested into the Brie-Stephanie match, I think its decreased a little after Raw but I don't think they've completely checked out. And in terms of technical prowess, this will be by far the worst match on the card and so the objective is to have enough smoke and mirrors to keep them invested until the match is over. My fear is that means a lot of smoke and mirrors in a fairly long match. The Trish match went 8.5 minutes and while I said I could see it going 10, I think 10 is too much. 8.5 is probably the edge of what I think these two are capable off whilst keeping the crowd invested.

I don't want to see Reigns-Orton get cut. And not because I have a burning desire to see the match but because this is Reigns' first PPV singles match (that's shocking isn't it), and I want to see him go for 15 minutes.

It does seem like Reigns has been a singles guy for long enough to have a singles PPV match under his belt at this point. That's crazy. Seeing him get gassed on RAW on multiple occasions now doesn't give me high hopes for him putting on a stellar match. He's got star written all over him but the more they've let him talk recently the more I've cringed. My fiance, who is a fan of his for feminine reasons, even said last week "He should not be talking. It's not good." He had that one pretty solid promo (think they were in Canada) but other than that his promos are getting worse and worse.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#12 » by WRau1 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:16 am

Yeah, I have no faith in the Reigns v Orton match but that might just be because I'm not that high on Reigns.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#13 » by MistyMountain20 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:28 am

Reigns is pretty limited in the ring. I think what he suffers from is that he has that cool, brooding, silent type about him that the crowd gravitates towards. If I were to compare his character to someone, it would be face/tweener Kane in his prime. It's a good spot to be in, but I don't think that screams face of the company.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#14 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:46 am

I am pumped!
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#15 » by skbucks1985 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:01 am

I'm not that excited about Orton-Reigns because Orton is one of the least compelling characters I've ever seen. I can't think of the last Randy Orton program or segment or match I was excited about primarily because of Randy Orton. Whenever I am excited its primarily because of the other guy. And Reigns hasn't done nearly enough to be compelling on his own.
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#16 » by Max Green » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:18 am

I was just about to post about how the only match I don't really care for is Reigns vs. Orton. But everyone already made my points for me. Orton hasn't been interesting since the legend killer gimmick, or when he RKO'd Steph.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#17 » by studcrackers » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:39 am

in terms of builds, it's one of the best cards they've put together in a long time. match im least looking forward to is probably jericho/wyatt. jerichos lost about 3 steps it looks like and wyatt works better with someone who can move in the ring. but there really doesnt look like a bathroom break in the match.

you could say brie/steph but theyve built it up as the 2nd biggest thing on the card, and i think the crowd will be hyped for it
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#18 » by skbucks1985 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:27 pm

MistyMountain20 wrote:Reigns is pretty limited in the ring. I think what he suffers from is that he has that cool, brooding, silent type about him that the crowd gravitates towards. If I were to compare his character to someone, it would be face/tweener Kane in his prime. It's a good spot to be in, but I don't think that screams face of the company.

I don't see the Kane comparison. I think what the company wants him to be is a cross between Batista and The Rock. The dynamism and charisma of The Rock and the facial expressions of Batista right after he turned babyface in 2005.

I think Reigns has a couple of problems, one is Ambrose and Rollins. These three guys are going to be inextricably linked for the rest of there careers and right now he looks really bad in that comparison. Those two are so far ahead of him and he's beginning to suffer in the eyes of some fans because of it.

The other is that when WWE marks someone as the next guy, its very obvious. And that's the way it should be, if you think Reigns is going to be the guy he shouldn't be booked like Kofi Kingston. But its also going to generate somewhat of a backlash. Some of its just from the hipsters whose primary rationale is that this is the guy the company's getting behind. Some of its from people that Reigns just isn't there cup of tea. But what I think is the lion's share of it is him clearly being deficient in certain areas and then you've got Ambrose who is ready now, who was ready 6 months ago, who was ready 2 years ago. And Reigns just looks bad in those comparisons and I think there's a section of fans that's becoming resentful of him because he's got the rocket when in there view he doesn't deserve it.
Sebastian
Head Coach
And1: 853

Post#19 » by Sebastian » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Predicks:

Lesnar over Cena.
-I think Cena will "turn heel" in a sense during this match, doing everything he can to win. Maybe a low blow, maybe a chain to the face when the ref's distracted. It will all be for naught, of course, and will end up being a one-night thing.

Ambrose over Rollins
-This one could go either way. Could be MOTY quality.

Steph over Brie
-Hoping for a Nikki heel turn.

Paige over AJ
-I think they will hot-potato the title a couple times over the next few months.

Reigns over Orton
-For when you need to take a 15-minute power nap during the PPV.

Swagger over Rusev
-Rusev needs to lose sometime soon. This seems like as good a time as any.

Wyatt over Jericho
-Obvious. Wish I cared more about this, but there's just something missing here.

Miz over Dolph
-I can't stand watching Miz. Even matched up against Dolph, this will probably be a "Lemme check on that pizza" match for me. Unfortunately he seems to be in the midst of a solid push and will probably hold onto the title a while longer.

Cesaro over RVD
-I like these guys, but not together. This is kind of a worthless throwaway match that should've just been on Main Event or SD. Why not a tag title match? I mean, you have the Dust Bros repackaged and talking about this Cosmic Key **** for 6 weeks -- shouldn't the payoff be a tag title win at Summerslam? You couldn't throw in Rybaxel and Slater Gator and make it a tables elimination match or something? There were lots of interesting opportunities there and instead we got Cesaro/RVD for no apparent reason. I don't know. Sometimes the lack of creativity in the mid-card title scenes just becomes super depressing.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#20 » by jr lucosa » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:43 pm

I like that the card is all singles matches and not a whole lot of gimmicky crap either. Some thoughts...

I've been sort of feeling like Cena has a chance at retaining for a couple weeks now but I do think Lesnar walks out as champ. It will be interesting to see if they can match the match they had at ER a couple years back. I know there wasn't a ton of actual wrestling in that match but it left an impression for sure, hopefully Cena gets more offense in this time.

I think all three of Ambrose/Rollins, Reigns/Orton, and Miz/Dolph can be pretty good depending on how much time they get. I agree with you guys that Orton has been stale forever and Reigns is pretty unproven right now, but there's been so many times over the years where going into a PPV I couldn't care less about Randy Orton and he ends up having a really solid match, I think this ends up as one of those times. I actually think Miz/Dolph could be a sleeper, I think the two have good chemistry and Miz has been interesting to me again lately.

I imagine Rusev and Lana could get quite a bit of heat from winning a flag match, but I have a feeling Swagger wins and Rusev slowly loses all his momentum. It's too bad, I know not everyone is a Rusev fan but I think he's got some real potential and is one of the few mid card guys being built well recently by the WWE, Swagger is over as hell because of Zeb but I don't think a win here really does a whole lot for him career wise, just drops Rusev down to that level of mid carders who take turns jobbing to each other for the next couple years, along with Cesaro, Dolph, Swagger, Kofi etc,.

Steph/Brie, there's a chance it's awful, I do expect Steph to play her role brilliantly, but everything else about the match I'm skeptical of. Hopefully AJ/Paige gets a decent amount of time.

Return to Pro Wrestling