NXT Thread II

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Re: NXT Thread 2 (The Day I've Been Waiting For) 

Post#601 » by Dunthreevy » Thu Feb 4, 2016 10:40 pm

safi wrote:
Spoiler:
Don't know if this will be the best Takeover special they've had, it is however probably the best card they've ever had.

Joe vs Balor, Zayn vs Nakamura, I assume Aries vs Corbin, Asuka vs Bayley and Dash and Dawson vs Gable and Jordan.

Also, Apollo Crews and Enzo and Cass weren't on the most recent set of tapings, I wonder if that's because they plan on bringing them up to the main roster in the next few weeks.

That card looks amazing. I know the Mania card is far from booked yet, but I find it hard to imagine they'll put anything together on paper that can hold a candle to this, again on paper. How the performances shake out is a whole other story but this has serious potential to be better than Mania.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#602 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 12:06 am

Its hard to see WM having a better lineup than Takeover, especially if the top matches are what have been rumored: HHH-Reigns, Lesnar-Bray and Undertaker-Strowman. And look, a large percentage of it is because of injuries. 4 months ago those top matches were probably set to be Reigns-Lesnar, Rollins-HHH and Cena-Undertaker. But they've had opportunities to bring guys up and have opted against it and even the big free agent signing, is probably in at best the 4th or 5th match from the top.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#603 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Feb 5, 2016 10:12 pm

Bull Dempsey has left NXT, amicably.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#604 » by Marcus » Fri Feb 5, 2016 10:22 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:Bull Dempsey has left NXT, amicably.

awwwww
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#605 » by WRau1 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 1:25 am

Dunthreevy wrote:Bull Dempsey has left NXT, amicably.

Along with Marcus Louis & Sylvester Lefort. I remember reading awhile back that those two were working on a Di Vinci Code gimmick, like some nutty religious guys. I think that would've been cool.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#606 » by Spens1 » Sat Feb 6, 2016 6:34 am

Louis and Lefort where a pretty good tag team and Louis was a good psycho for a while. Thought they might actually do something with Louis but then he dissapeared.

Its a shame about Bull because it was a fun character but maybe he feels he's hit his ceiling.

Will be interesting to see where they end up, i mean Bull Dempsey is still 300 pounds. Now this will take some doing but if he where to reinvent himself and get a good gimmick (think something as drastic as Husky Harris to Bray Wyatt) maybe he could be something big in lets say ROH or New Japan (especially Japan where they love big men). He's a solid enough worker to be something

meanwhile Mojo Rawley is still there in his annoying glory (in fairness to him, his gimmick sucks, the wrestler is alright i guess)
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#607 » by iMoreland » Sat Feb 6, 2016 7:29 pm

Briscoe's and Young Bucks to NXT confirmed

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NickJacksonYB/status/696043605245300736[/tweet]
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#608 » by Marcus » Sat Feb 6, 2016 9:02 pm

Nerlens No Ls wrote:Briscoe's and Young Bucks to NXT confirmed

The excitement is real. If this turns out to not be true I will find you and there will be consequences.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#609 » by Dunthreevy » Sat Feb 6, 2016 9:56 pm

You son of a bitch! Don't toy with me like that.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#610 » by Dunthreevy » Sat Feb 6, 2016 9:58 pm

Going to NXT live tonight and just read that Finn injured his ankle in Nashville last night and won't be competing tonight. "Card subject to change" like a mother ****!
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#611 » by edfmx86 » Sun Feb 7, 2016 12:21 am

Thats just not fair. Any word on how serious the ankle injury is? I'm guessing we won't be seeing the Coup de Grace for a little bit.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#612 » by Dunthreevy » Sun Feb 7, 2016 7:35 pm

edfmx86 wrote:Thats just not fair. Any word on how serious the ankle injury is? I'm guessing we won't be seeing the Coup de Grace for a little bit.

Not sure, but he did come out and make an appearance, which the crowd went nuts for. He was on crutches with his ankle wrapped but no cast. I'll do a full write up on the show probably tomorrow. It was fantastic start to finish, even without Finn in the main event.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#613 » by edfmx86 » Mon Feb 8, 2016 3:58 am

I just saw a video with him and Bayley at the end of the event. I'm wondering if the slip was done on purpose or not, but it was still looked like such a fun moment.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#614 » by Spens1 » Mon Feb 8, 2016 4:53 am

or Sami Zayn to ROH 8-)

anyway the bucks just signed a deal with ROH, Briscoes though, yeah RIP ROH if they go to NXT, ROH is already rather light in a lot of ways and would have no way of building their roster unless WWE finally releases some of their misused talent
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#615 » by Dunthreevy » Mon Feb 8, 2016 4:31 pm

So this past Saturday my wife and I went to see NXT live here in Indianapolis. It was the first live wrestling show I've seen since around 2010, so obviously I had never seen an NXT show live show. I didn't really know what to expect from the seating arrangement because the only thing I've ever seen at the venue was a John Mulaney stand-up set a couple years ago and the seating chart is completely different for a wrestling show. When we got there I was very pleasantly surprised with our seats. We were on the right side of the entrance ramp, 4 seats away from the railing. We were able to make direct eye contact and that was pretty cool. I'm pretty sure I shared a moment with Alexa Bliss.

We got seated a little too early but there was a bar literally 15 feet to our left so we had a couple drinks while we waited on the show to start. Once the show was about to start and everyone around us had filled in we immediately noticed 2 super marks sitting right in front of us. They were the guys that try to make the show about them. They're basically the bad version of the NXT crowd when they go into business for themselves and act like the performers aren't humans. One guy thought he was incredibly cool with his Bullet Club hat and shirt, and he had something snarky to say about everything, and was basically dogging the product yet had a bag full of merch that he had bought at the venue. Outside of that guy and his buddy, who was basically the lite version of BC guy, everyone around us was pretty cool and seemed to genuinely enjoy the show.

Earlier in the day, I had read on twitter that Finn wouldn't be competing because he hurt his ankle the night before in Nashville. That was a bummer but I was convinced they'd still put on a good show. The first match was Asuka vs. Emma, and it was great. It's pretty remarkable the shape that Emma is in. It's clear on tv that she's not a slouch physically but seeing her up close was pretty amazing. My wife was like "holy ****, she's ripped." They had a really good match, with Asuka winning with her rear naked choke finisher. The crowd was actually about 50/50 and we got a "Emma's gonna kill you" chant at one point.

Next was Blake & Murphy vs. Ciampa and Gargano. This match was AMAZING. Ciampa and Gargano are not strangers to the Indiana area from their indy work, so they got a ton of love, especially Gargano. Ciampa and Gargano are so good as a team it's sickening. Everything about this match clicked and the crowd ate it up. Blake and Murphy were doing their heel thing to a T and it was all just fantastic. I could have watched that match multiple times. BAM got the win, but Gargano and Ciampa got a huge standing ovation after the match.

Next up was Bayley vs. Alexa. Alexa is a damn goddess. Seriously, as hot as you may think she is on tv, multiply it by 5 and that's how hot she is in real life. She's my wife's favorite thing on NXT (and kind of mine too), and when she climbed into the ring my wife goes "her ass is insane. She can get it." I just smiled and nodded. She can indeed get it. So moving on to Bayley. When we first got to our seats we noticed a little girl sitting 4 rows in front of us with her dad and she was all decked out in Bayley gear, with a sign that she made. Her dad was rocking an old All Japan Pro Wrestling shirt and was a pretty large dude. Made me think maybe he wrestled a little back in the day but I didn't recognize him. We wanted Bayley to recognize the little girl really bad and sure enough Bayley did her usual thing and gave her a big hug and gave her a head band, then when she got in the ring she tossed her shirt to the little girl and everyone around was cool and didn't try to snag it. Bayley and Alexa had a really good match. Bayley busted out Scotty 2 Hotty's W-O-R-M routine and that got a good pop from the crowd. The match was a ton of fun and Bayley got the win on a Bayley to Belly suplex out of nowhere.

After the match Bayley stayed in the ring and got on the mic talking about how it didn't feel right because their champ was hurt, and people immediately started chanting for Finn. Sure enough his music hit and he came out on crutches with his ankle wrapped (but no cast). Bayley "assisted" him to the ring and then asked him if there was anything she could do to make him feel better. It got a little innuendo'ish and the crowd started laughing. Finn said "there is ONE thing you could do that would make me really really happy" and then he whispered in her ear. So she runs up the ramp and back behind the curtain for a few seconds. Then Finn's music hits and Bayley comes out in his leather Balor Club jacket and does his whole entrance routine. This was awesome because before we got there we talked about just wanted to do the crowd reaction portion of Finn's entrance, and this gave us that chance. It was fun. There's video of it on the internet at this point if you want to check it out. Finn falling into the ropes was purely an exaggeration of his injury. You could tell by the way Bayley ran to his aid and hugged him that it was all a work.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2016/2/6/10929276/watch-finn-balor-crutches-fall-bayley-entrance-wwe-nxt-indianapolis

After that we got American Alpha vs. Dash & Dawson. That match was also a blast. Jason Jordan wrestled at Indiana University so he was getting all the love this night. You could tell he was eating it up. Dash & Dawson are great heels and they were doing great work this night as well. The crowd kept doing the "Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-siers" chant for Jordan and then at the end of the match, after Dash & Dawson won, Dash walking up the ramp chanting "Who-who-who-who-won?"

After that we got a fairly short match between Nia Jax and Billie Kay. It wasn't great but it also wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen. The super cool snarky guy from earlier was **** all over this match and kept yelling out stuff insinuating that Nia Jax is a man. After about the 4th time, I just said aloud "isn't this guy just hilarious? so much original material" which got a small laugh from the people around us and he then shut up. He was being a dick, and needed someone to make fun of him for a second. It worked to the delight of the immediate crowd.

Then we got the main event. Originally it was supposed to be Samoa Joe vs. Sami Zayn, then Finn vs. Corbin in the main event. With Finn out they made the main event a triple threat between Joe, Sami and Corbin. I think the injury was actually a blessing in disguise because I can't imagine the Finn vs. Corbin match topping what we got. Joe and Corbin worked together for chunks of the match, and then the old swerve happened and Corbin turned on Joe. They hit all their normal spots and Corbin was really working the crowd well. Sami ended up winning fairly abruptly after hitting both guys in the same corner with the Helluva Kick. Sami grabbed the mic and gave a pretty good rah rah speech that sent everyone home happy.

Overall, it was a complete blast. My wife is completely only slightly into wrestling because I'm into it, and she still had a ton of fun. I really like the more intimate setting from this venue vs. the larger stadium setups for Raw and Smackdown. The action was right in front of us which made the whole experience way cooler. If you have a chance to get out and see an NXT live show, do it.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#616 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:33 am

Baron Corbin is a future star. Never thought I'd actually say that. He's very legit, and has progressed so much since they stopped that "how fast can he win a match" gimmick.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#617 » by Stanford » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:38 am

Dunthreevy wrote:Baron Corbin is a future star.

Interesting. I don't think I would have been that strong, but I have noticed that a lot of people are really coming around on him. I totally agree that he's improved a ton, completely under the radar and without much fanfare. His presentation is lacking a lot of glue, but overall it's pretty solid. He's also found a good balance in his ring style, using his size without being a plodding big man.

I have a feeling that more and more people will be echoing your thoughts, one by one. He needs a huge moment to change a lot of minds at once.

I've completely lost interest in the Vaudevillains. That makes me sad. Hopefully this mini-vignette signals a change in approach.

I remember Brandon Stroud used to make fun of Zack Ryder's body. I don't get it. Dude is straight jacked. I love me some Hype Bros. I'm afraid that Mojo will never be capable of anything more than just football moves and shouting though.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#618 » by iMoreland » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:18 am

Dunthreevy wrote:Baron Corbin is a future star

100% agree. His matches are underrated.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#619 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:03 pm

Stanford wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:Baron Corbin is a future star.

Interesting. I don't think I would have been that strong, but I have noticed that a lot of people are really coming around on him. I totally agree that he's improved a ton, completely under the radar and without much fanfare. His presentation is lacking a lot of glue, but overall it's pretty solid. He's also found a good balance in his ring style, using his size without being a plodding big man.

I have a feeling that more and more people will be echoing your thoughts, one by one. He needs a huge moment to change a lot of minds at once.

I've completely lost interest in the Vaudevillains. That makes me sad. Hopefully this mini-vignette signals a change in approach.

I remember Brandon Stroud used to make fun of Zack Ryder's body. I don't get it. Dude is straight jacked. I love me some Hype Bros. I'm afraid that Mojo will never be capable of anything more than just football moves and shouting though.

I've been noticing it more and more in the past few months. I think Takeover: Brooklyn was really the wake up call for me. Granted he was in there with Samoa Joe and that certainly helped, but Corbin definitely carried his own weight in that match and it was pretty shocking to me just how good he looked against a legit stud. Since then I've been paying more attention and he just passes all the eye tests for me. He has gotten in considerably better condition from where he was a couple years ago too. He's one of my favorite parts of NXT these days. His interactions with fans during matches is great heel work. I could see him being the guy to win the Andre Battle Royal at Mania 33. That could be his "moment" that introduces him to the masses.

I feel you on The Vaudevillains. I'm just curious how long they're going to keep running this same vignette. It's been going for like a month now. It'd be different it they were different vignettes but they're all the same so it feels like there's no progress being made or advancing their characters.

Ryder became a body guy for sure. I don't know what's to make fun of about his body. The Hype Bros as a team have grown on me slightly. Mojo is still not anything to be impressed by in the ring but he's gotten better at their promos. His delivery when he said "I watch you sleep, bro" from a couple weeks ago is the funniest thing I've heard on a wrestling show in a decent while.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#620 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:16 pm

The Joe match and program was I think the turning point for Corbin. I think he's at the point now where he can hold his own enough with a really good wrestler to have a really good match. But I'm guessing a match between him and Mojo Rawley would not be particularly good. Everyone kind of assumes Vince will love him because of his size, but there's issues I think with his look. I'm not really a tattoo guy but I think his are exceptionally ugly. This is fixable obviously, but the fact that he's clearly losing his hair is not the best thing and his ring gear is awful. He looks like he's wearing the wrestling gear equivalent of skinny jeans. Which, okay, he's supposed to be this douchebag heel but it looks pretty low-rent.

I disagree completely about the Hype Bros. I hate the name. I hate the team, I still think Mojo Rawley is a dollar-store version of the Ultimate Warrior and every time I watch them I feel compelled to fast-forward

Return to Pro Wrestling