WWE SmackDown Discussion II

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,285

Re: WWE SmackDown Discussion II 

Post#1921 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:57 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Got to disagree with those that said the title exchange segment was good, just weird to watch as a viewer and the unprofessionalism of both was just too noticeable.

But when you have two heel champions building up a champion vs champion match it seems right that they would both be petty and trying to one up each other.

I agree if this was babyface vs babyface it wouldn't work. But my guess is if we didn't know about the backstage argument, nobody would have thought one thing about that segment. Just heels being heelish.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,278

Post#1922 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:15 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Got to disagree with those that said the title exchange segment was good, just weird to watch as a viewer and the unprofessionalism of both was just too noticeable.

But when you have two heel champions building up a champion vs champion match it seems right that they would both be petty and trying to one up each other.

I agree if this was babyface vs babyface it wouldn't work. But my guess is if we didn't know about the backstage argument, nobody would have thought one thing about that segment. Just heels being heelish.

I don’t think it was a great segment. It’s just the best they could do given the corner they painted themselves in by having the champions switch brands.
Do it for Chuck
Texas Chuck

Post#1923 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:27 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I don’t think it was a great segment. It’s just the best they could do given the corner they painted themselves in by having the champions switch brands.

I agree a title swap segment isn't particularly interesting. But given they decided to do it, I think one heel champ throwing the belt on the ground and the other heel champ throwing her belt at her rival makes sense. Seems believable.

But unless its Cena/Reigns that one time, I think contract signing segments always suck and if they are doing the Champion vs Champion match I would have just let them each hang on to the other show's belt and then I would have booked Becky to go over to be Becky Two Belts again for a minute before dropping one of them to Bianca or Sasha.

But given they chose that segment, I thought Charlotte's play while motivated by selfishness, was appropriate to the character is all.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#1924 » by tugs » Mon Nov 1, 2021 10:49 am

Is it just me who's confused with the number of anti-hero personas in the women's division right now?

Becky
Banks
Shotzi
Charlotte to a point
Baszler

Out of that list, I feel it's not working well for Sasha and Flair. They sound like entitled princesses whenever they do their promos. Becky was the catalyst so that works for her, Shayna is a badass that'll beat the hell outta anyone, and Shotzi's gimmick as a feisty up and comer fits the mold as well.

But again, I feel too many tweeners at the moment
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1925 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 2, 2021 2:06 pm

tugs wrote:Is it just me who's confused with the number of anti-hero personas in the women's division right now?

Becky
Banks
Shotzi
Charlotte to a point
Baszler

Out of that list, I feel it's not working well for Sasha and Flair. They sound like entitled princesses whenever they do their promos. Becky was the catalyst so that works for her, Shayna is a badass that'll beat the hell outta anyone, and Shotzi's gimmick as a feisty up and comer fits the mold as well.

I like Shotzi - and they did good by her with the tank entrance, but they jammed way too much on her right away - with her getting the championship match out of the blue and going crazy on Sasha all in one segment. Whatever happened to building stories up slowly to a crescendo - especially with a newbie to the scene? It was almost like someone told creative, you have to make her a superstar tonight - or you're fired!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Texas Chuck

Post#1926 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Nov 2, 2021 2:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:
tugs wrote:Is it just me who's confused with the number of anti-hero personas in the women's division right now?

Becky
Banks
Shotzi
Charlotte to a point
Baszler

I like Shotzi - and they did good by her with the tank entrance, but they jammed way too much on her right away - with her getting the championship match out of the blue and going crazy on Sasha all in one segment. Whatever happened to building stories up slowly to a crescendo - especially with a newbie to the scene? It was almost like someone told creative, you have to make her a superstar tonight - or you're fired!

I have no problems with debuting someone straight to the main event scene if you think they warrant it. But yeah that specific booking was terrible.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1927 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 2, 2021 3:21 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Becky
Banks
Shotzi
Charlotte to a point
Baszler

I have no problems with debuting someone straight to the main event scene if you think they warrant it. But yeah that specific booking was terrible.

Right, and even in NXT, Shotzi was more of a tag team star. It wasn't like she was on the level of Rhea Ripley or even Bianca Belair - who I think they had valid special reasons to push.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#1928 » by tugs » Tue Nov 2, 2021 3:26 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I like Shotzi - and they did good by her with the tank entrance, but they jammed way too much on her right away - with her getting the championship match out of the blue and going crazy on Sasha all in one segment. Whatever happened to building stories up slowly to a crescendo - especially with a newbie to the scene? It was almost like someone told creative, you have to make her a superstar tonight - or you're fired!

Right, and even in NXT, Shotzi was more of a tag team star. It wasn't like she was on the level of Rhea Ripley or even Bianca Belair - who I think they had valid special reasons to push.
This should be in the other thread but there wasn't any build up as well with Priest's character. That vicious side came out of nowhere, although the new theme would've been a giveaway

His feud with Dijakovic is solid though. Hopeful for that one
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1929 » by improper » Wed Nov 3, 2021 5:38 am

Texas Chuck wrote:I have no problems with debuting someone straight to the main event scene if you think they warrant it. But yeah that specific booking was terrible.

Strangely, something I don't think main roster WWE did nearly enough with NXT stars, and when they did, it was usually with the wrong NXT stars.

Kevin Owens was about the best example I can think of regarding a guy who got elevated to the main roster and immediately went over a major star in Cena. And, in typical WWE fashion, Cena got that win back and more.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#1930 » by Celtsfan1980 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 1:23 pm

The repeat episodes on FS1 still drew viewers. Staying up to 2 to watch an episode that wasn't great is impressive.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1931 » by WRau1 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 2:40 pm

improper wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I have no problems with debuting someone straight to the main event scene if you think they warrant it. But yeah that specific booking was terrible.

Strangely, something I don't think main roster WWE did nearly enough with NXT stars, and when they did, it was usually with the wrong NXT stars.

Kevin Owens was about the best example I can think of regarding a guy who got elevated to the main roster and immediately went over a major star in Cena. And, in typical WWE fashion, Cena got that win back and more.

Nakamura, too. Had 2 big wins over Cena and Orton right after the call-up. I guess Balor as well, he won the #1 contendership on his first night on RAW.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1932 » by WRau1 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 10:50 pm

Vince does it again, highest revenue totals in years and of course another set of cuts. So far, Ember Moon, Scarlett Bordeaux and Frankey Monet.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1933 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:06 pm

WRau1 wrote:Vince does it again, highest revenue totals in years and of course another set of cuts. So far, Ember Moon, Scarlett Bordeaux and Frankey Monet.

Cutting Ember Moon is terrible, but she'll bounce back and be a star somewhere else. I think this goes to what they've foolishly done with NXT - They made it a great brand and then decided to destroy that and turn it back to what it was before NXT - nothing more than a mediocre minor league. It took away the use for an excellent veteran like Moon. NXT has quickly gone from an excellent show to bearly watchable.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1934 » by WRau1 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:
WRau1 wrote:Vince does it again, highest revenue totals in years and of course another set of cuts. So far, Ember Moon, Scarlett Bordeaux and Frankey Monet.

Cutting Ember Moon is terrible, but she'll bounce back and be a star somewhere else. I think this goes to what they've foolishly done with NXT - They made it a great brand and then decided to destroy that and turn it back to what it was before NXT - nothing more than a mediocre minor league. It took away the use for an excellent veteran like Moon. NXT has quickly gone from an excellent show to bearly watchable.

Karion Kross now, too. What the hell are they doing? I'm not a big Kross fan but they just spent a good amount of time building him up, ala Alesiter Black, then cut him? So weird.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1935 » by WRau1 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:25 pm

Eva Marie
Nia Jax
Karrion Kross
Keith Lee
Scarlett
Ember Moon
Franky Monet
B-Fab
Gran Metalik
Lince Dorado
Jessi Kamea
Zayda Ramier
Trey Baxter
Katrina Cortez
Jeet Rama
Mia Yim
Harry Smith
Oney Larcan
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,703

Post#1936 » by Dominator83 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:34 pm

Wow. Vince needs to retire already. Killer Cross and Keith Lee are bonafide stars. Both guys he ruined immediately with entrance changes. Keith Lee's music was over AF. So What does Vince do? Changes it. With Cross he has him starve stupid helmet and takes away Scarlett.

And i didn't even know Harry Smith was back there. Unless it's a different Harry Smith
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1937 » by WRau1 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:36 pm

Dominater wrote:Wow. Vince needs to retire already. Killer Cross and Keith Lee are bonafide stars. Both guys he ruined immediately with entrance changes. Keith Lee's music was over AF. So What does Vince do? Changes it. With Cross he has him starve stupid helmet and takes away Scarlett.

And i didn't even know Harry Smith was back there. Unless it's a different Harry Smith

He had like one match then got covid and had travel issues. Apparently he was just cleared and had a hell of a match (somewhere) with Cesaro.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1938 » by WRau1 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:41 pm

Wow, now MLW is releasing a ton of good talent as well.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,703

Post#1939 » by Dominator83 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 12:01 am

WRau1 wrote:Wow, now MLW is releasing a ton of good talent as well.

Brutal time to be in the business. Started with ROH last week. Tony Kahn can't sign everybody. Well he can! But he's gonna run into the same problem eventually of having too many wrestlers where half get lost in the shuffle.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1940 » by WRau1 » Fri Nov 5, 2021 12:36 am

Kross' contract is rumored to be like Black's where it wasn't full a main roster deal. NXT deals only have a 30 day noncompete.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz

Return to Pro Wrestling