Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,738

Re: WWE SmackDown Discussion II 

Post#1961 » by gambitx777 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:I disagree I think the crowds into roman!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

Agreed. The Tribal Chief is the best thing WWE has had since the pandemic started. Without Heyman it might lose some allure but it is time for a change. For all the **** we gave Roman before that it is time to *drum roll* ACKNOWLEDGE HIM. *Badum tsk*

And this particular Roman vs Lesnar series is the most compelling tv WWE has had in a long time - almost as fun to watch as...
Spoiler:
Punk vs MJF.
I think it's the cool hipster thing to just automatically think AEW handles people better and omg they are so great. There is a lot to love about AEW but not much they have is doing better work than Roman right now. MJF to me is almost bathroom break cringe some days.thwy completely drop the ball on guys like Hobs and cage, and don't get me started on Cody island. I think they have a real shot to do something really cool at day one and I'm excited.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1962 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:55 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:Agreed. The Tribal Chief is the best thing WWE has had since the pandemic started. Without Heyman it might lose some allure but it is time for a change. For all the **** we gave Roman before that it is time to *drum roll* ACKNOWLEDGE HIM. *Badum tsk*

And this particular Roman vs Lesnar series is the most compelling tv WWE has had in a long time - almost as fun to watch as...
Spoiler:
Punk vs MJF.
I think it's the cool hipster thing to just automatically think AEW handles people better and omg they are so great. There is a lot to love about AEW but not much they have is doing better work than Roman right now. MJF to me is almost bathroom break cringe some days.thwy completely drop the ball on guys like Hobs and cage, and don't get me started on Cody island. I think they have a real shot to do something really cool at day one and I'm excited.

I'm far from the biggest AEW fan here - I'm often critical of them, so please don't paint me in that picture. I used to prefer NXT over AEW, but WWE completely destroyed NXT, and AEW simply got better.

MJF vs Punk is as good as it gets to me - at least as far as promos go - and I expect the in-ring part to be very good. MJF is one of the best things to happen to pro rasslin in the last few years. :nod: He'll become a free agent in 2024, and people already are speculating about the bidding war that will ensue. But I digress. Back to Smackdown.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#1963 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Vince doesn't love Jinder anymore. I wonder why.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1964 » by gambitx777 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:29 am

Celtsfan1980 wrote:Vince doesn't love Jinder anymore. I wonder why.
I think he loves him plenty. He's still got a job!

gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1965 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 1:45 pm

Can we please get booogs and moss away from shin and Corbin. Bring Elias back and put these dudes in a stable. They could be dudes startled with dumb gimmicks that got tires of that **** and decided to just beat people up.
Those two are so good and still young enough to have good runs, don't waste them with this stuff.

gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1966 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 2:24 pm

Apparently Champa and Dunn were on dark matches tonight!

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,560

Post#1967 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:37 pm

Is Reigns turning anti hero face? Rollins and then Lesnar is a lot of heels to feud with the next few months

Remember when Xia Li was supposed to be a thing
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1968 » by improper » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:04 am

SunsLyf3 wrote:It is. But it's attached to WWE so the negative public perception always affects the way the product is received. WWE kinda earned that rep, not disputing that.

A lot of the perception of Roman is going to be colored by the fact that WWE wasted five or more years of his career and their own programming trying to push him as a face while the crowds crapped all over him, and they ruined three or four Wrestlemania main events in the process. If they had just done his heel turn half a decade ago, he'd be a megaface by now. Instead, they caused rating to continue to swirl down the drain because Vince was too hard-headed to do the obvious thing and make the guy everyone hated a bad guy.

Their insistence on pushing him as a face for five goddamn years remains the most baffling thing I've ever seen from Vince. It's as baffling as why Cena has never had a proper heel run in the past decade and a half. Heel Cena would have been a Hollywood Hogan level draw and could have potentially brought mainstream appeal back to wrestling. I'd honestly love for the last run in Cena's career to be a heel one. Let him ride off into the sunset as the most hated man in wrestling, finally putting over one of their young stars in his last match at 'Mania.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,560

Post#1969 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:23 am

improper wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:It is. But it's attached to WWE so the negative public perception always affects the way the product is received. WWE kinda earned that rep, not disputing that.

A lot of the perception of Roman is going to be colored by the fact that WWE wasted five or more years of his career and their own programming trying to push him as a face while the crowds crapped all over him, and they ruined three or four Wrestlemania main events in the process. If they had just done his heel turn half a decade ago, he'd be a megaface by now. Instead, they caused rating to continue to swirl down the drain because Vince was too hard-headed to do the obvious thing and make the guy everyone hated a bad guy.

Their insistence on pushing him as a face for five goddamn years remains the most baffling thing I've ever seen from Vince. It's as baffling as why Cena has never had a proper heel run in the past decade and a half. Heel Cena would have been a Hollywood Hogan level draw and could have potentially brought mainstream appeal back to wrestling. I'd honestly love for the last run in Cena's career to be a heel one. Let him ride off into the sunset as the most hated man in wrestling, finally putting over one of their young stars in his last match at 'Mania.

I know the internet was never behind face Reigns, but personally I think the reason Vince was pushing him so much was that he was legitimately popular in that role. I suspect the calculus of making him their #1 and main eventing Wrestlemania 4 times wasn't any more complicated than looking at the ratings of his segments/matches on Raw, merchandise, and house show attendance and it painting a picture of Reigns being the guy. And here is the truth, Raw misses babyface Reigns since he left.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#1970 » by tugs » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:02 am

Was passing by just to say this. Weeks of vignettes then debuting to "save" Naomi then poof
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,749

Post#1971 » by Dominator83 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:47 am

Dr Positivity wrote:
improper wrote:

I know the internet was never behind face Reigns, but personally I think the reason Vince was pushing him so much was that he was legitimately popular in that role. I suspect the calculus of making him their #1 and main eventing Wrestlemania 4 times wasn't any more complicated than looking at the ratings of his segments/matches on Raw, merchandise, and house show attendance and it painting a picture of Reigns being the guy. And here is the truth, Raw misses babyface Reigns since he left.

Reigns along with Brock are the only larger than life characters they have. Largely thanks to WWE's "win one lose one" booking.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
tugs
RealGM

Post#1972 » by tugs » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:56 pm

Oh man, I don't know what to feel about this. Reigns is organically being supported now. There is clear division from those cheering and booing. Similar to Brock's but I believe Lesnar's more of an anti hero now

Now these two, along with Lashley I would say, have been established as legitimate characters that anyone will and can relate to. They are already beyond heel and face
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach

Post#1973 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:23 pm

I don't like the rumors about Roman vs. Brock main eventing Wrestlemania. If Drew is not involved somehow I can't say I'll be pleased about that.
improper wrote:Instead, they caused rating to continue to swirl down the drain because Vince was too hard-headed to do the obvious thing and make the guy everyone hated a bad guy.

How are shows like The Simpsons, American Idol, Dancing With The Stars, and The Voice holding up in ratings these days? The NFL and daytime talk shows have mostly loyal fans, but I don't hear of much else that has held up well over the years. Considering WWE is on 5 hours per week just about every week of the year, it's at a bigger disadvantage. Some people here don't seem to understand that losing viewers year after year is quite normal.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,562

Post#1974 » by SunsLyf3 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:35 am

tugs wrote:Was passing by just to say this. Weeks of vignettes then debuting to "save" Naomi then poof

And she's back thankfully. I was worried they were going to bury her after rescuing Naomi. Still not sire what they're doing with her since Aliyah will be feuding with Natalya.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1975 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:57 am

Could have been a covid thing or she was hurt

Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach

Post#1976 » by Celtsfan1980 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:14 pm

Sami is very entertaining. I'm happy he signed an extension.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1977 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:43 pm

Yeah I hope they give him a title run before it's said and done even if it's just a thank you transitional world tittle run.

iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#1978 » by iMoreland » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:46 am

Shinsuke won the IC title in August. Defended once in September. And that's it. Lost it in February. That's an almost 200 day reign with 2 defenses.

Should be booked the way AEW books the TNT title. Meaningful and can give you a proper main event match on the weekly show. It doesn't have to be Reigns every week.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1979 » by gambitx777 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:17 am

iMoreland wrote:Shinsuke won the IC title in August. Defended once in September. And that's it. Lost it in February. That's an almost 200 day reign with 2 defenses.

Should be booked the way AEW books the TNT title. Meaningful and can give you a proper main event match on the weekly show. It doesn't have to be Reigns every week.
Well shins been hurt a lot. That wasn't really all his fault or WWEs. But yes they need to treat those belts better. When preist was just starting off his stint they treated that belt really well. I expect Sammy will do alot more with it. I want them to do a two man power trip with Sammy and Brock lol have them take the tag tittles just to piss with Roman.

tugs
RealGM

Post#1980 » by tugs » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:04 am

gambitx777 wrote:
iMoreland wrote:Shinsuke won the IC title in August. Defended once in September. And that's it. Lost it in February. That's an almost 200 day reign with 2 defenses.

Well shins been hurt a lot. That wasn't really all his fault or WWEs. But yes they need to treat those belts better. When preist was just starting off his stint they treated that belt really well. I expect Sammy will do alot more with it. I want them to do a two man power trip with Sammy and Brock lol have them take the tag tittles just to piss with Roman.

Imagine if that happens, then they build the 2 as unstoppable, Sami getting the crowd behind him. After months they lose it from a Sami blunder. During an IC defense, Usos jump Zayn then Brock comes in for the save. Brock turns mega heel again and destroys Sami, setting up a title chase for the WWE title with a super baby face Zayn

Return to Pro Wrestling