NXT Thread III

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Re: NXT Thread III 

Post#401 » by tugs » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:50 am

Toxic Attraction. Ooooffff

I love how Mandy isn't hogging the spotlight. The subtle blocking on stage and the parking lot, having Gigi and Jacy take turns to be in the middle, gives an impression that anyone on the team is a legitimate threat regardless of title they are holding. And was surprised, in a good way, that Gigi got the pin for her team's victory.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#402 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:36 pm

I don't notice many wrestlers being buried where they're rarely on television. If Vince has a lot of influence over NXT 2.0, shouldn't we be seeing more wrestlers being buried?
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#403 » by WRau1 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 5:50 pm

Watching Gargano/O'reilly say their goodbyes was so sad. Not that long ago NXT had what has to be considered, one the of the most stacked rosters ever assembled. Tag division had American Alpha, Enzo & Big Cass, Revival, DIY. You had Itami, Velveteen Dream, Cole, Fish, O'reilly, Riddle, Andrade, Lee, Black, Ricochet, Larcan, Murphy, EC3, Sanity, Ohno, Dunne, Bate, Lio Rush and then guys that just got called up before the big talent hording stretch like Balor, Joe & Nakamura. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot and that's not even counting the women who are just as an impressive of a list. Multiple years of absolute banger PPVs, each better than the last. I don't think we'll ever get that again from any WWE product. Sad times.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach

Post#404 » by Celtsfan1980 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 6:44 pm

Vince will be 79 when the TV deals are up. Who knows what happens then? I'd prefer the WWE create their own stars. NXT going the indie route is a positive.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,738

Post#405 » by gambitx777 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:13 am

Personally I don't hate 2.0. I think the young stiner aka breaker have way more than a 33 and one third chance of being big time. Grayson waller have something too. Carmelo looks like a young RVD and Shawn put together. Gimmick aside tony D looks like he's got something and Zion and boa are looking like good workers. You still have young vets like Dunn and Grimes. Don't forget that Tyler Bates still hidden up their sleeves as well!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,570

Post#406 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:44 am

Is it a coincidence that NXT seemed to lose luster basically at exact time AEW started? I think AEW took its status as the anti-Vince wrestling show
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#407 » by gambitx777 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:28 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Is it a coincidence that NXT seemed to lose luster basically at exact time AEW started? I think AEW took its status as the anti-Vince wrestling show
I think we didn't give it enough time to fight the good fight against AEW. But, at the same time it got away from what Vince wanted he wanted developmental not an Indy promotion or a third brand.

Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#408 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:00 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Is it a coincidence that NXT seemed to lose luster basically at exact time AEW started? I think AEW took its status as the anti-Vince wrestling show
I think we didn't give it enough time to fight the good fight against AEW. But, at the same time it got away from what Vince wanted he wanted developmental not an Indy promotion or a third brand.

Maybe but I feel like NXT has succeeded before in terms of smaller indie guys. To put the timeline in perspective

November 2017 - Andrade beats McIntyre, latter is injured making the roster more smaller than they expected
April/June/August 2019 - Gargano/Cole trilogy capping off stellar 1.5 years for Gargano starting with Andrade match early 2018 through Ciampa feud
April 2020 - One Final Beat, June 2020 - Cole vs Dream street fight - this is when I started to feel NXT had lost momentum personally

So while I don't love everything they did in terms of pushing the "quadruple A" guys (in NXT forever, but not someone they wanted to call up) I'm not sure I can blame it on small indie guys since they had a solid 1.75 years or so of really hot show imo led by people like Gargano, Ciampa, Cole, Black, Andrade, Dream, Ricochet, etc. Not to mention that when I first got into NXT it was with smaller or indie type guys like Zayn, Neville, Owens, etc.

Plus no matter the criticisms, you could have an equal amount if not more of a year like 2017:

Takeover title matches: Roode vs Nakamura x 2, Roode vs Itami, Roode vs McIntyre, McIntyre vs Andrade
Tag: AOP is champion for 8 months before losing to Sanity. Ciampa turns on Gargano. Undisputed debuts.
Women's: Asuka is the back half of her undefeated reign. Ember Moon push
Others: Dunne vs Bate, Black debuts

While it still had some good stuff the main event scene combined with AOP is pretty meh, or at least the first 2/3s of the year. To me if this happened when AEW was its direct competition I feel like people would've turned on NXT and blamed it on Vince just as much as now if not moreso. I wonder if blaming it on people staying in NXT too long is just searching for a reason when the biggest problem is they became Woody in Toy Story after Andy got Buzz.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#409 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:31 am

I liked WarGames a lot, old school vs new school format storyline really worked for me, there was a moment when Dunne is cracking Grayson Waller's hand while he's crying like a rich kid that wants his daddy while the old school guys are beating the crap out of 2.0 with Johnny smashing a guy with garbage can lid that was just great. KOR and Von Wagner vs Imperium was a great tag match. Cora Jade looks like one of their best main roster womens prospects as easy on the eyes and way ahead of schedule in the ring at 20.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#410 » by gambitx777 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:42 am

Yeah War Games was a take over level show. It was really gooooooood! I'm actually a lot higher on the new kids than most they need to listen up the gimmick for Tony so he doesn't end up as Riddick moss. But he looks good in the ring. Bron need a story line where he finds his inner stiner and changes his name back, waller is probably a head of where the mizz was when he was that young. And Mello looks like he could legit be the next HBK/Ziggler type dude.

Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach

Post#411 » by Celtsfan1980 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:48 pm

Should we expect ROH signings for NXT?
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#412 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jan 1, 2022 1:28 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:Should we expect ROH signings for NXT?
Rok-C had a try out. So I look at it this way if they are men under 30 and over 6 ft I say anything is game for NXT wemon anyone under 30 they think they can make money on.

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,827

Post#413 » by Dominator83 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:25 pm

Good to see Steiner win the belt, but good Lord do they need to just call him Steiner.

Also I see William Regal is gone. Vince really took a great show and dumbed it down big time.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#414 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:43 am

Dominater wrote:Good to see Steiner win the belt, but good Lord do they need to just call him Steiner.

Also I see William Regal is gone. Vince really took a great show and dumbed it down big time.

Yeah, it's just a shell of what it used to be. It makes me said that WWE doesn't think there's a place for William Regal, anymore. It's probably best for him. I'm sure he's appalled at some of the things they've done these last several months.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,827

Post#415 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 5:05 am

Ruzious wrote:
Dominater wrote:Good to see Steiner win the belt, but good Lord do they need to just call him Steiner.

Yeah, it's just a shell of what it used to be. It makes me said that WWE doesn't think there's a place for William Regal, anymore. It's probably best for him. I'm sure he's appalled at some of the things they've done these last several months.

HHH is rolling in his grave. And he's not even dead.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#416 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 9:16 am

I'm wondering if they are gonna do a story line of him needing to find him self and look into his soul and find a second gear and him going back and finding pride on his name sake might be what he needs to hit another level.

gambitx777
General Manager

Post#417 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 9:18 am

Ruzious wrote:

It's possible some of these guys didn't wanna be there. They might have wanted to move on it might not be a big hot job on HHH guys that wrestling Twitter is making it out to be.

Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach

Post#418 » by Celtsfan1980 » Fri Jan 7, 2022 1:28 pm

Dominater wrote:Vince really took a great show and dumbed it down big time.

I read an article with Shawn Michaels claiming it's his show.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#419 » by tugs » Fri Jan 7, 2022 2:14 pm

Oral Sessions with Kross and Scarlett was great
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#420 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jan 7, 2022 6:50 pm

Roddy-Hayes, Women's match and Ciampa-Breakker all delivered for me