WWE General Discussion III: Bigger! Better! Badder!

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Re: WWE General Discussion III: Bigger! Better! Badder! 

Post#61 » by Scott Hall » Thu Jun 9, 2022 4:57 am

Dominater wrote:
Lord Eder wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pretty cool article with quotes from Lita, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Mike Choida etc

This match is the epitome of WrestleMania for me. The crowd, the lights, flashes, the size of the venue, Hulk Hogan, The Rock. It's just such a spectacle. This match, and the night Mick won the title on Raw are probably my 2 favourite crowd moments of all time. I'm pretty sure you can spot Jerome Williams in the crowd too, front row behind the announcers.

Agreed. The match itself wasn't exactly Omega vs Okada, but the atmosphere and just feel makes this probably the best WWE match of all time. This really was a clashing of two mega stars that were still over as mega stars. It would be like having an NBA Finals of prime MJ vs prime LeBron. Even though Hogan obviously wasn't prime Hogan, he was still over like it. It was a dream match that we couldn't believe became a reality.

I think Hogan vs. Rock and Okada vs. Omega are 2 masterpieces in completely different ways but there
is also some similarities.

Dr. Tom Prichard used to teach his students psychology by showing them the Rock vs. Hogan match.
They essentially switched roles from babyface to heel during the match like Austin vs. Bret at WM 13.
Both Hogan and The Rock are masters at the nuances at Wrestling like psychology, selling, facial reactions,
working the crowd and getting them involved plus impeccable timing and storytelling.

You could find a couple of guys that are way more athletic then the Rock and Hogan that do a bunch of
Moonsaults and Canadian Destroyers or go through tables but if they aren't selling and telling a story and
it's just a spotfest I don't find that entertaining at all.

As for Okada vs. Omega they did have an advantage of like going for an hour or over it if I remember but
what I liked about that match was Okada actually was a master of what Hogan and Rock do so well his
timing, selling and facial reactions to Omegas offense was impeccable also a great story teller. Okada is
considered to be the best Japanese wrestler in the world by many right? yet is he the most athletic guy
that does a bunch of crazy moves? is the Rain Maker that impressive of a finisher? As for Kenny he's just
such a special athlete to watch like prime RVD, Angle and HBK and he's also good at the nuances as well.
They say a Wrestlers prime is in his late 30's or even early 40's at times way past their athletic prime but
they learn to work way smarter.
Lord Eder wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pretty cool article with quotes from Lita, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Mike Choida etc

This match is the epitome of WrestleMania for me. The crowd, the lights, flashes, the size of the venue, Hulk Hogan, The Rock. It's just such a spectacle. This match, and the night Mick won the title on Raw are probably my 2 favourite crowd moments of all time. I'm pretty sure you can spot Jerome Williams in the crowd too, front row behind the announcers.

Yeah Jerome Williams and Tracy Murray are right behind the announcers desk. Vince Carter was in a private box
and Carlos Rogers was in the crowd. Also Will Sasso was sitting in the corner.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,891

Post#62 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jun 9, 2022 5:27 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Dominater wrote:
Lord Eder wrote:

Agreed. The match itself wasn't exactly Omega vs Okada, but the atmosphere and just feel makes this probably the best WWE match of all time. This really was a clashing of two mega stars that were still over as mega stars. It would be like having an NBA Finals of prime MJ vs prime LeBron. Even though Hogan obviously wasn't prime Hogan, he was still over like it. It was a dream match that we couldn't believe became a reality.

I think Hogan vs. Rock and Okada vs. Omega are 2 masterpieces in completely different ways but there

Dr. Tom Prichard used to teach his students psychology by showing them the Rock vs. Hogan match.
They essentially switched roles from babyface to heel during the match like Austin vs. Bret at WM 13.
Both Hogan and The Rock are masters at the nuances at Wrestling like psychology, selling, facial reactions,
working the crowd and getting them involved plus impeccable timing and storytelling.

You could find a couple of guys that are way more athletic then the Rock and Hogan that do a bunch of
Moonsaults and Canadian Destroyers or go through tables but if they aren't selling and telling a story and
it's just a spotfest I don't find that entertaining at all

As for Okada vs. Omega they did have an advantage of like going for an hour or over it if I remember but
what I liked about that match was Okada actually was a master of what Hogan and Rock do so well his
timing, selling and facial reactions to Omegas offense was impeccable also a great story teller. Okada is
considered to be the best Japanese wrestler in the world by many right? yet is he the most athletic guy
that does a bunch of crazy moves? is the Rain Maker that impressive of a finisher? As for Kenny he's just
such a special athlete to watch like prime RVD, Angle and HBK and he's also good at the nuances as well.
They say a Wrestlers prime is in his late 30's or even early 40's at times way past their athletic prime but
Lord Eder wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah Jerome Williams and Tracy Murray are right behind the announcers desk. Vince Carter was in a private box

Also gotta factor in that there's too much of it now. Kind of like how in the NBA in the early to mid 2000's teams that played like the Kings, Mavericks and Suns were a treat. Now with 30 teams trying to do that is just has that "too much of a good thing is bad" stigma.

Case in point : this was like 2008-2009ish. Before the young Bucks were famous and before Americans really got into new Japan, no AEW, etc. Me and my wrestling buddies were just hanging out talking favorite matches ever. One of mine I kept touting was ECW Heatwave 98 Sabu/RVD vs Hayabusa/Skinzaki. I put it on and was pointing out the pace and such. One of my buddies pointed out that one reason why it was so "fast paced" is because nobody was selling anything. Sure enough, we watch hayabusa eat a Vandaminator, and we count to 7 and he's back up and running lol.

Now that match is still unique just because it was so ahead of its time. Just like the early 2000s Kings mavs and Suns were. But yea those type of matches have been devalued considerably. Not even worth the high-risk stunts that could leave a wrestler seriously injured and when it works they get like a 10 second gold clap and the fans go back to their phones lol.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#63 » by Scott Hall » Thu Jun 9, 2022 6:16 am

Dominater wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Dominater wrote:Agreed. The match itself wasn't exactly Omega vs Okada, but the atmosphere and just feel makes this probably the best WWE match of all time. This really was a clashing of two mega stars that were still over as mega stars. It would be like having an NBA Finals of prime MJ vs prime LeBron. Even though Hogan obviously wasn't prime Hogan, he was still over like it. It was a dream match that we couldn't believe became a reality.

it's just a spotfest I don't find that entertaining at all

Lord Eder wrote:

Also gotta factor in that there's too much of it now. Kind of like how in the NBA in the early to mid 2000's teams that played like the Kings, Mavericks and Suns were a treat. Now with 30 teams trying to do that is just has that "too much of a good thing is bad" stigma.

Case in point : this was like 2008-2009ish. Before the young Bucks were famous and before Americans really got into new Japan, no AEW, etc. Me and my wrestling buddies were just hanging out talking favorite matches ever. One of mine I kept touting was ECW Heatwave 98 Sabu/RVD vs Hayabusa/Skinzaki. I put it on and was pointing out the pace and such. One of my buddies pointed out that one reason why it was so "fast paced" is because nobody was selling anything. Sure enough, we watch hayabusa eat a Vandaminator, and we count to 7 and he's back up and running lol.

Now that match is still unique just because it was so ahead of its time. Just like the early 2000s Kings mavs and Suns were. But yea those type of matches have been devalued considerably. Not even worth the high-risk stunts that could leave a wrestler seriously injured and when it works they get like a 10 second gold clap and the fans go back to their phones lol.

You're absolutely right... there is an entire generation of wrestlers that have been brain washed by Dave Meltzer
about what "real wrestling" is. All they care about is star ratings and where they rank on the PWI 500. They think
being a good wrestler is all about work rate and put absolutely no work or thought into their character, name,
promos, acting and look. And when it comes to in-ring work it's all about fast paced action with as many high spots
as possible high spots don't even mean anything anymore because so many matches are comprised of all high spots.
Isn't the whole point of wrestling to make it look real and not choreographed? How many guys of this generation just try
to emulate and be wannabes of Shawn Michaels or the Hardy Boyz? now you have guys like Eddie Kingston and Jon
Moxley trying to be wannabe Terry Funks and they say the NBA is a copycat league these guys need to find themselves.
Also Finishers aren't even Finishers anymore because everybody kicks out of them all the time after you hit it for about
the 3rd-5th time it becomes a finisher all of a sudden also there's barely any squash matches anymore to establish them.

Watching old stuff from the 90's and it's funny to hear Bret Hart and Larry Zybsko trash Mexican Wrestling there is a
lot of truth to it. Watching the old Nitros outside of Rey Mysterio nobody gave a **** about them. Almost none of them
spoke English so no mic skills and a lot of them wore cringe costumes and I never found their matches to be entertaining
or that special because they were flopping around if I don't care about you as a character or your story I don't care
what athletic moves you can do. I remember when I use to watch Wrestling back then with non Wrestling fans none of
them ever cared about the Mexican division or the cruiserweight division outside of a guy or 2 they usually would zone
out and get bored. But they were into the nWo, Sting, Goldberg, DDP, Ric Flair etc because of the characters, their
cool look, promos and the storylines they were in but reading the internet back then the Wrestling geeks would tell
you how awesome Dean Malenko and Billy Kidman were and how they should be pushed to the moon and that's
"real wrestling" yet those guys couldn't sell a ticket or merch if their life depended on it I'm sure they got that brain
washing from Meltzer.

Also there's always been a lot of people that are counter culture with music and wrestling. You know that guy or girl
who think their cool because they listen to some obscure underground band or rapper and hates on all the main stream
successful popular acts?

In Wrestling it's been going on for decades as well some people think it's cool to hate on WWF/E because it's main stream
and guys like Hogan, Cena, Ultimate Warrior, Rock, Reigns, Charlotte etc. to them those guys are like Elvis, Justin Bieber,
Michael Jackson etc and they think they're so cool and more knowledgeable because they like some obscure guy in NJPW
or some British Guy or the uber athletic high flying North American guy I can't stand those insecure snobs that want to
be cool lol.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#64 » by iMoreland » Thu Jun 9, 2022 7:12 am

They have to get the WWE title off him

Read on Twitter
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by iMoreland » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:54 pm

Came up with this idea to make Survivor Series interesting again because it's been pointless the last few years.

Opening match — Traditional 5 on 5 Elimination Match (Raw vs SmackDown)

Main event — All 5 members of the winning team face their brands World Champion in an Elimination Chamber Match
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,739

Post#66 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:34 pm

iMoreland wrote:Came up with this idea to make Survivor Series interesting again because it's been pointless the last few years.

Main event — All 5 members of the winning team face their brands World Champion in an Elimination Chamber Match
Yo lol that's actually a wonderful idea lol
With Roman as double champ it can be who ever the survivers are get him in the main event lol could be 1 on 1 all the way to a 6 pack challenge.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,093

Post#67 » by daoneandonly » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:27 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
iMoreland wrote:Came up with this idea to make Survivor Series interesting again because it's been pointless the last few years.

Yo lol that's actually a wonderful idea lol
With Roman as double champ it can be who ever the survivers are get him in the main event lol could be 1 on 1 all the way to a 6 pack challenge.

Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't go the elimination chamber style. I'd just do the surviving members of the winning team. Whether its a sole survivor, or 3, 4, 5. Think about it, why should eliminated members get a shot at the title? And they'd be more well rested than the surviving members who won.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#68 » by Scott Hall » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:48 am

Read on Twitter
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#69 » by Scott Hall » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:39 am

Read on Twitter
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#70 » by Lord Eder » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:57 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow. Surely AEW throws the bag at her, they need legit talent in their women’s division in the worst way.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by iMoreland » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:02 am

Randy Orton out the rest of 2022 and potentially getting back surgery. Awful news.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#72 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:23 am

The hits keep coming. We don't know what happened with that vonce thing yet. More than likely he's at fault but we just don't have details.

iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by iMoreland » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:36 am

https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/news/press-releases/2022/06-17-2022-120023255

"Vince McMahon has 'voluntarily stepped back' from his responsibilities as CEO and Chairman of the Board.

Stephanie McMahon to serve as interim CEO and interim Chairwoman.

Vince will retain control related to WWE’s creative content."

H
o
l
y

S

Of course he's staying in charge of creative, he's never gonna give that up :lol:
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#74 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:38 pm

iMoreland wrote:https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/news/press-releases/2022/06-17-2022-120023255

"Vince McMahon has 'voluntarily stepped back' from his responsibilities as CEO and Chairman of the Board.

Stephanie McMahon to serve as interim CEO and interim Chairwoman.

Vince will retain control related to WWE’s creative content."

H
o
l
y

S

Of course he's staying in charge of creative, he's never gonna give that up
For now. Triple H and hayman are probably gonna take over.

So, was that a work with Stephanie. Had her step down so they can replace her where they can put her back on top . They knew this was coming didn't they?

prolific passer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,295

Post#75 » by prolific passer » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:08 pm

iMoreland wrote:They have to get the WWE title off him

Read on Twitter

I think the rumors of him taking a break after summerslam got them freaking out a bit and so they are giving as many breaks right now so he doesn't leave after summerslam. Problem is that it is killing the business currently.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#76 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:23 pm

Honestly I was almost gonna say they should have put the tittle on riddle. But with the Vince stuff..... And riddles own ****. They just don't have anyone built up .

iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by iMoreland » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:25 pm

Montez is ready, should definitely be a main eventer within the next year
Read on Twitter
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#78 » by Dominator83 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:46 am

iMoreland wrote:Montez is ready, should definitely be a main eventer within the next year
Read on Twitter

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that he's been looking jacked up! He is definitely the Shawn Michaels of the street profits

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#79 » by Scott Hall » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:05 am

Read on Twitter
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#80 » by Dominator83 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:22 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

Titus has always had the look and the charisma. How was he never pushed as a main event talent?

Return to Pro Wrestling