AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door Discussion 

Post#1 » by iMoreland » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:40 pm

Chris Jericho, Minoru Suzuki, & Sammy Guevara vs Eddie Kingston, Shota Umino, & Wheeler Yuta

The Young Bucks & Bullet Club (Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson, El Phantasmo, & Hikuleo) vs. Darby Allin, Sting & Los Ingobernables de Japon (Shingo Takagi and Hiromu Takahashi)

Zack Sabre Jr vs An opponent of Bryan Danielson's choosing

IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship
Will Ospreay (c) vs Orange Cassidy

AEW All-Atlantic Championship
Clark Connors vs Malakai Black vs Miro vs Pac

IWGP Tag Team & ROH Tag Team Championship
FTR (c) vs United Empire (c) vs Roppongi Vice

AEW Women's World Championship
Thunder Rosa (c) vs Toni Storm

AEW Interim World Championship
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Jon Moxley

IWGP World Heavyweight Championship
Jay White (c) vs Adam Cole vs "Hangman" Adam Page vs Kazuchika Okada
slickrickstyles
Rookie
And1: 411

Re: AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door Discussion 

Post#2 » by slickrickstyles » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:28 pm

With the insane amount of injuries and the lack of information for domestic fans that are not familiar with NJPW and their roster I worry that this is going to bomb bad...Rampage just had it's lowest ratings ever last week and Dynamite is not holding well during this build either.
Once they have that golden shining moment and it comes to them in a dream or whatever and they understand that, that's when this team and this franchise will go to another level from where it was when I was here.

- Reggie Miller
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,826

Post#3 » by Dominator83 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:46 am

slickrickstyles wrote:With the insane amount of injuries and the lack of information for domestic fans that are not familiar with NJPW and their roster I worry that this is going to bomb bad...Rampage just had it's lowest ratings ever last week and Dynamite is not holding well during this build either.

Well I already have my tickets so there's no turning back for me lol. But I still feel like it will atleast be entrrtaining to watch. Now it looks like Okada will atleast be in action. But yea we need like a surprise Kenny Omega return and face Niato or something to really deliver
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#4 » by Lord Eder » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:43 pm

I feel like the problem with the build to this one is that AEW too often goes for the surprise shock value. The people in the arena seem to pop for whoever comes out unexpectedly but I'm sure there's tons at home, myself included, who are just lost on who these people are and why I should be excited. There should've been vignettes leading up but rather they seem to be going for the pop.

With that said, this is a cool idea and show, it's introduced me to some wrestlers that I'll probably be interested in from here out. Just think it could've been handled better for someone more 'casual' like me. Not sure if the ratings reflect this feeling, I know they've been up against the finals of the NBA as well as the NHL, that could also have something to do with it. Like I missed Malakai-Penta last night because I got lost in the hockey game and that was the match I was looking forward to this week.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,175

Post#5 » by heatwillbeback » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:33 pm

The one match I don’t understand at all is Thunder Rosa/Storm. It just doesn’t fit the point of this show.

I would have preferred a competent NJPW female wrestler and to save Storm/Rosa for another time.

I’m looking forward to this one. Watching at a local AMC theater.
slickrickstyles
Rookie

Post#6 » by slickrickstyles » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:15 pm

Lord Eder wrote:I feel like the problem with the build to this one is that AEW too often goes for the surprise shock value. The people in the arena seem to pop for whoever comes out unexpectedly but I'm sure there's tons at home, myself included, who are just lost on who these people are and why I should be excited. There should've been vignettes leading up but rather they seem to be going for the pop.

With that said, this is a cool idea and show, it's introduced me to some wrestlers that I'll probably be interested in from here out. Just think it could've been handled better for someone more 'casual' like me. Not sure if the ratings reflect this feeling, I know they've been up against the finals of the NBA as well as the NHL, that could also have something to do with it. Like I missed Malakai-Penta last night because I got lost in the hockey game and that was the match I was looking forward to this week.

Dont use the term "casual" around social media...Dear god the iwc trolls will rip you a part that there is no such thing as a casual fan etc...Uh yeah there is and I know lots of people who only watch from time to time...Hell some that don't even realize AEW exists and just think that certain guys retired I am sure. I love that AEW exists and we needed a real alternative bad but the pretentious nature of expecting everyone to do their own research or to expect everyone to just know about your product is it's biggest issue.
Once they have that golden shining moment and it comes to them in a dream or whatever and they understand that, that's when this team and this franchise will go to another level from where it was when I was here.

- Reggie Miller
slickrickstyles
Rookie

Post#7 » by slickrickstyles » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:16 pm

heatwillbeback wrote:The one match I don’t understand at all is Thunder Rosa/Storm. It just doesn’t fit the point of this show.

I would have preferred a competent NJPW female wrestler and to save Storm/Rosa for another time.

I’m looking forward to this one. Watching at a local AMC theater.

It was just to get the females on the card I am sure. What is more damaging is the fact that there isn't a single african american on the show and AEW has always had issues with bait and switch representation.

- Reggie Miller
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#8 » by Lord Eder » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:00 am

This has been a phenomenal show so far
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,972

Post#9 » by Dubious Handles » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:19 am

the first three matches are amazing so far. That championship watch was awesome!! PAC deserves it and they set up Miro vs. Malakai
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Dubious Handles » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:21 am

AEW PPVs never disappoint
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,826

Post#11 » by Dominator83 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:24 am

The 4 way for the IWGP was the match of the night IMO
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#12 » by tugs » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:28 am

Was that a botched finish, though? Cole suddenly fell and dodged the Rainmaker and Jay pinned him instead of Okada?
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Dubious Handles » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 am

tugs wrote:Was that a botched finish, though? Cole suddenly fell and dodged the Rainmaker and Jay pinned him instead of Okada?

Looked like it. AC got injured so they had to abruptly end the match

Read on Twitter
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,175

Post#14 » by heatwillbeback » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:01 pm

High quality wrestling PPV for sure.

One qualm I have is the end. Forbidden Door to me is bigger than Blood and Guts. I don’t like using the end of a big PPV to advertise and build for a tv match. Which also left Tahahashi completely out of place.

Not to mention the Chicago crowd wanted somebody very specific to show up, and it wasn’t Jericho :lol:
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,569

Post#15 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jul 7, 2022 6:38 am

Shame about the ending to the 4 way since that was a great match. I had a hard time getting into the main event after that and the Cesaro match.

Jay White would be a nice WWE signing, you could tell immediately the storyline that this dirty little weasel stole the title from babyface Okada. Small for main roster but maybe NXT champ. I was also surprised to see born in 1992.

Return to Pro Wrestling