Re: All Elite Wrestling Discussion II 

Post#263 » by iMoreland » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:02 am

Holy s***. AEW's biggest signing yet?
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Post#264 » by heatwillbeback » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:22 am

AEW really puts on terrific shows. They are about the PPVs and packing them with almost 5 hours of standout wrestling.

Bryan vs Sabre was fantastic. Both guys really compliment each other. Bryan is this style is ridiculous.

Christian and Darby was brutal and top notch storytelling. Christian is having a terrific run. And the two surprises at the end, awesome.

I honestly didn’t dislike any match. And some stellar ones throughout.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,556

Post#265 » by Dominator83 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 8:10 am

iMoreland wrote:Holy s***. AEW's biggest signing yet?

I would still give the Edge (no pun intended) to CM Punk. It may not have worked out great in hindsight but at the time it was huge. Cole and Danielson may be bigger ones as well. But Edge is definitely right up there. My expectations are tempered though. He's 49 and injury prone. The latter being a big reason as to why his latest WWE run was underwhelming.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#266 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Oct 9, 2023 11:24 pm

Wrestledream thoughts:

- I don't have a good take on the first half of it since I watched it when I wasn't feeling the best

- Page vs Swerve was my favorite match of the night and feud with a good mix of power moves and submission. Swerve was with Keith Lee only one year ago, he's had a great rise as a singles star and would be a good pick to beat MJF imo if they were bold.

- Bryan vs ZSJ was expected great technical showcase if slightly repetitive and the ending left me slightly underwhelmed for some reason, but still great. ZSJ has really got it in terms of douche mannerisms in terms of his movement and stuff, and of course the hair helps.

- Starks vs Wheeler was boring and shouldn't have been on the card

- 6 man tag was better than I expected and they gave it a nice amount of time. I just really like watching Guevera's athleticism and Ibushi is definitely one of my favorite of the Japanese guys. The FTR vs Aussie Open was also really good considering it was at time of the night when people could've been checked out a bit. I appreciated in this one how Cash was at least on the floor for a while after the usual guy gets beat up the first half of the match and makes hot tag, it made it feel like it at least mattered that he took the damage.

- Christian vs Darby was great storyline drama style match considering they were in the tough Ziggler vs Rollins position of IC title ending the night (Although could the TNT belt now become the Collison world title?), the only thing missing was a swerve where the mom aligns and makes out with Christian, though Nick gives them tag match material. I had heard Edge might show up so I knew where it was going after the match when Sting and Lucha came out.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#267 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:46 pm

It's a little bit scary for AEW that all of Jericho, Danielson, Edge, Christian, Samoa Joe, Sting (and the Hardys but they're not a real loss at this point) are possibly all gone in like 2 years. They can get some other old WWE guys but I'm not sure you can replace that whole haul.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#268 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:15 am

Watching Collision and Starks and Big Bill destroy FTR for 10 minutes, Dax takes 4 chokeslams in a row as the arrogant heels refuse to pin, it’s just going to be the usual comeback after being dominated first half for title defense right? No, Starks and Big Bill just win, that’s how FTR’s title reign ends... What. I guess it was a Cash injury thing.
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#269 » by Dominator83 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:56 pm

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#270 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:33 pm

The arrow is pointing the wrong direction for AEW's ratings, the indie guys just don't draw enough, we already knew this. They need a big strong meaty guy like WCW Goldberg to be their champion.
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#271 » by Dominator83 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:13 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:The arrow is pointing the wrong direction for AEW's ratings, the indie guys just don't draw enough, we already knew this. They need a big strong meaty guy like WCW Goldberg to be their champion.

Wardlow had all the momentum in the world and was white hot. Then they just stopped pushing him

Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#272 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:00 am

Swerve is really coming into his own as a technical wrestler, when added to seeming to get it character wise, he is a nice talent to build around.

I wasn’t sure about making Jay White feud MJF since he’s obviously not going to win, but the last Dynamite I was sold on the Bang Bang gang being a-holes.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#273 » by gambitx777 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:13 pm

They fumble more than your average NFL Sunday.

Wardlow and Hobbs should have been top guys all along and they constantly drop that ball.

The jade thing.

This MJF angle that was tone deaf as ****.

Tony going off the rails on Twitter.

It's falling apart fast. They really need to hire someone to salvage the booking and maybe they can turn this around.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#274 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:30 am

Think they're going with the New Japan kind of stories:

Tons of multi man matches where you mix and match rivalries

Look at Copeland already - Got Darby, Sting, Danielson, FTR involved in his story with Christian, his crew, Starr's and Big Bill.

It's bloated af immediately

I'm not a fan of it even though generally their PPVs deliver in the ring

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#275 » by Dominator83 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:08 am

gambitx777 wrote:They fumble more than your average NFL Sunday.

Wardlow and Hobbs should have been top guys all along and they constantly drop that ball.

The jade thing.

It's falling apart fast. They really need to hire someone to salvage the booking and maybe they can turn this around.

Yea I think too that after the initial "Holy **** Edge is All Elite!" Pop, people are stepping back and looking like : wait a minute, their top feud is Edge vs Christian.....in the year 2023?

I mean, those guys at this point in their careers are kinda low hanging fruit. WWE is probably thinking : go ahead and steal guys like Edge and Christian. We're focused on stealing guys like MJF and Ricky Starks.

Now I don't know what the odds are of a jump for them, but I do think they're higher odds than Omega and the Bucks, especially MJF. I think MJF wants to be in the GOAT conversation when it's all said and done. And I think he knows that if he truly wants to reach the pinnacle (no pun intended) then he's gotta reach the top of the mountain in the WWE.

Also, if these young stars have aspirations beyond wrestling, WWE is the place to go. They're produced 3 current top Hollywood stars. I'm thinking it's a pretty safe bet that those guys would not be top Hollywood stars right now if they were career TNA/impact wrestlers. Despite the reputation , WWE is still the place that young guys wanna make it to.

I know I went a little outside there, but yea Edge vs Christian in 2023 shouldn't be a top feud. Especially when they have aforementioned guys like Wardlow and Hobbs that are homegrown, talented and believable as top guys and aren't being pushed as such. Wardlow won a feud vs MJF for eff sake. They then proceeded to do nothing with the momentum.

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#276 » by gambitx777 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:15 pm

Dominator83 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:They fumble more than your average NFL Sunday.

The jade thing.

Yea I think too that after the initial "Holy **** Edge is All Elite!" Pop, people are stepping back and looking like : wait a minute, their top feud is Edge vs Christian.....in the year 2023?

I mean, those guys at this point in their careers are kinda low hanging fruit. WWE is probably thinking : go ahead and steal guys like Edge and Christian. We're focused on stealing guys like MJF and Ricky Starks.

Now I don't know what the odds are of a jump for them, but I do think they're higher odds than Omega and the Bucks, especially MJF. I think MJF wants to be in the GOAT conversation when it's all said and done. And I think he knows that if he truly wants to reach the pinnacle (no pun intended) then he's gotta reach the top of the mountain in the WWE.

Also, if these young stars have aspirations beyond wrestling, WWE is the place to go. They're produced 3 current top Hollywood stars. I'm thinking it's a pretty safe bet that those guys would not be top Hollywood stars right now if they were career TNA/impact wrestlers. Despite the reputation , WWE is still the place that young guys wanna make it to.

I know I went a little outside there, but yea Edge vs Christian in 2023 shouldn't be a top feud. Especially when they have aforementioned guys like Wardlow and Hobbs that are homegrown, talented and believable as top guys and aren't being pushed as such. Wardlow won a feud vs MJF for eff sake. They then proceeded to do nothing with the momentum.
Yeah I think they need. Guy like Scott, or HBK or Jim Cornett, or al snow, or just someone to take over the creative and keep the stories on track and making sense. It be fine if Tony just hung around and kept out of it. But man it's just a mess.

WWE has produced several TV stars like miz and the Bella's. Sure c list but man those shows made those guys a ton one money. Hogan and Andre were in a good bit of thins too. Randy Savage to a lesser extent but Edge, stone cold, Kevin Nash had and still have good TV and movie careers. Not stars but a solid presence that makes them a lot of money.

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,044

Post#277 » by daoneandonly » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:51 pm

What was the tone deaf MJF angle?
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#278 » by Lord Eder » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:46 pm

daoneandonly wrote:What was the tone deaf MJF angle?

I think they’re referring to the dynamite after the attacks, Juice Robinson said he had a roll of quarters he was gonna knock MJF out with after winning the Battle Royal. This was to rile up MJF as he’s told his story that he was bullied in highschool for being Jewish by kids who would throw quarters at him. To be fair, Juice has used the roll of quarters in the past to load his punches, but the timing got some people upset.

They’ve since switched the premise to using a discount ring from TJ.Maxx instead
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,044

Post#279 » by daoneandonly » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:22 am

Lord Eder wrote:

I think they’re referring to the dynamite after the attacks, Juice Robinson said he had a roll of quarters he was gonna knock MJF out with after winning the Battle Royal. This was to rile up MJF as he’s told his story that he was bullied in highschool for being Jewish by kids who would throw quarters at him. To be fair, Juice has used the roll of quarters in the past to load his punches, but the timing got some people upset.

They’ve since switched the premise to using a discount ring from TJ.Maxx instead

Oh gotcha. Well by all accounts that actually happened to him, so I dont think its really all that done deaf or insensitive. If anything, it speaks to what is going on as there is that type of hate out there all around.
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#280 » by Lord Eder » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:48 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Lord Eder wrote:

Oh gotcha. Well by all accounts that actually happened to him, so I dont think its really all that done deaf or insensitive. If anything, it speaks to what is going on as there is that type of hate out there all around.

Yeah, I think that’s exactly what he was going for with that angle. I believe the Saturday following that, on Collision they did an anti-semitism vignette with MJF bringing awareness to some organization.

It also gave him good reason to come out that fired up last night. Would love to see MJF bring that kind of intensity more often. I love the wink wink tongue in cheek stuff he does, but fired up Max is an absolute star.

That said, I do think they did the right thing by pivoting. Some people weren’t comfortable with it, it is what it is.

What a Dynamite btw, that first hour was something.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky

Return to Pro Wrestling