daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,044

Re: All Elite Wrestling Discussion II 

Post#281 » by daoneandonly » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:47 pm

Lord Eder wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Lord Eder wrote:
I think they’re referring to the dynamite after the attacks, Juice Robinson said he had a roll of quarters he was gonna knock MJF out with after winning the Battle Royal. This was to rile up MJF as he’s told his story that he was bullied in highschool for being Jewish by kids who would throw quarters at him. To be fair, Juice has used the roll of quarters in the past to load his punches, but the timing got some people upset.

They’ve since switched the premise to using a discount ring from TJ.Maxx instead

Oh gotcha. Well by all accounts that actually happened to him, so I dont think its really all that done deaf or insensitive. If anything, it speaks to what is going on as there is that type of hate out there all around.

Yeah, I think that’s exactly what he was going for with that angle. I believe the Saturday following that, on Collision they did an anti-semitism vignette with MJF bringing awareness to some organization.

It also gave him good reason to come out that fired up last night. Would love to see MJF bring that kind of intensity more often. I love the wink wink tongue in cheek stuff he does, but fired up Max is an absolute star.

That said, I do think they did the right thing by pivoting. Some people weren’t comfortable with it, it is what it is.

What a Dynamite btw, that first hour was something.

AGreed. There's always going to be those who want to hate on AEW, but they are a solid and entertaining alternative to WWE
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Post#282 » by heatwillbeback » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:19 pm

I love AEW, but I think going with an antisemitism storyline at the time was a bad decision. And it definitely was the intent of the storyline, with MJF going with his defend Jews against bullies tweet right after the show.

What I also found stupid was the national media picked up and it and the media and non wrestling fans do not understand kayfabe. So it got horrendous press.

It was an error imo. Like the Muhammad Hassan storyline. Wrong story at the wrong time.

Also MJF/Omega has the chance to be epic. AEW going with their no build dream match nonsense (this will probably advance the MJF/Jay White storyline but why use the first meeting of MJF/Omega to do that?) but as a fan I will enjoy the hell out of the match regardless.
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#283 » by Lord Eder » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:32 pm

I don’t think it’s comparable to Muhammad Hassan. If Juice was playing a Palestinian ‘non terrorist’ while screaming aggressively in a foreign language then I could see it being that bad.

I think it was overblown given the timing of it IMO. But I’m glad they moved on.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Post#284 » by heatwillbeback » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:58 pm

I agree it wasn’t as bad. Hassan had the “praying” which just took it over the top. But still the wrong time to have that type of storyline.

As for dropping it, yes they moved on. I am glad they did as well. I don’t want MJF or Juice to get any long term pushback from this as both are terrific professional wrestlers, and moving on as quickly as they did I think they avoided that.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#285 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Nov 7, 2023 6:51 pm

They should push Santana and Ortiz in singles instead of forgetting about them after break-up story, they had a solid Rampage blow-off.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#286 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 9, 2023 12:25 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:They should push Santana and Ortiz in singles instead of forgetting about them after break-up story, they had a solid Rampage blow-off.

AGreed, not sure how much upside Ortiz has, but I think Santana has huge potential.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#287 » by iMoreland » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:39 am

Who's the devil?
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#288 » by gambitx777 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:29 am

iMoreland wrote:Who's the devil?
My money is on something stupid. So jack perry. Cuz Tony will think it's edgy to have someone suspended be doing something they shouldn't. What a swerve! Probably thinks a heal jack vs MJF would be "money" ...

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#289 » by daoneandonly » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:26 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
My money is on something stupid. So jack perry. Cuz Tony will think it's edgy to have someone suspended be doing something they shouldn't. What a swerve! Probably thinks a heal jack vs MJF would be "money" ...

WHy is that stupid? It elevates someone young and puts that feud in a new element with the two guys swapping face/heel roles.

I think the safest bet is Roderick Strong, then maybe the swerve is Adam Cole. I even heard one rumor saying its CM Punk
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#290 » by iMoreland » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:04 pm

I was thinking Ziggler
Lord Eder
General Manager

Post#291 » by Lord Eder » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:50 pm

My 3 guesses are 1. Adam Cole, buys him time to recover from the injury and would probably get nuclear heat turning on MJF.

2. One of the recent WWE cuts waiting for the non compete to run its course, personally given the names I think this would be a bit lacklustre

and 3. Jack Perry. Max did say to Jack during the 4 pillars feud that he had potential to be champion but he needed to become more heinous like him. I really didn’t even think of him as a possibility until the devil put Bowens through the glass. But I dunno if that’s reaching. If it is Jack I feel like this would be a sink or swim main event moment for him.
- Chuck Swirsky
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#292 » by Flames24Rulz » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:28 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:

WHy is that stupid? It elevates someone young and puts that feud in a new element with the two guys swapping face/heel roles.

I think the safest bet is Roderick Strong, then maybe the swerve is Adam Cole. I even heard one rumor saying its CM Punk

Punk would be wild -- would end up being the biggest work, maybe ever? That said, I doubt Tony is smart enough to pull that off.

Kyle O'Reilly is supposed to be back soon, so it could be him. I think that would be a let down though. It feels like they actually have a legit angle to build up, but I have little to no confidence that the reveal will live up to the lead-up.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#293 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:51 pm

Babyface Rush from the 8 man on Collision a few weeks ago was fire
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#294 » by tugs » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:22 am

Gatdamn then face paint army entrance looks awesome
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#295 » by daoneandonly » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:51 am

Solid ppv, Swerve is a legit main eventer now
Lord Eder
General Manager

Post#296 » by Lord Eder » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:08 pm

I was thinking about it, and 2 guys I’ve had my eye on for like a year plus now, is Swerve and Starks. And hypothetically if one of these two were going to be the heel to take the belt of Max, I think a year ago, maybe even a couple months ago I would’ve said it would be a lock for Starks. But as I sit here today, I honestly feel like Swerve has done more with his opportunities. As much as I love Starks, I feel like he’s stagnated and hasn’t captivated as much as Swerve has.

Crazy how quickly the landscape can change.
- Chuck Swirsky
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#297 » by tugs » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:10 am

I would agree. The depth in Swerve's character work has been leaps and bounds over anyone in the roster atm

Look, character, in ring work, promo, hype man

Now he needs gold
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#298 » by daoneandonly » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:32 pm

Yea I think the plan is likely a heel Cole to dethrone MJF, but Swerve has earned it no doubt
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#299 » by gambitx777 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:15 am

Swerve is maybe the most legit real star they have that they haven't burried, besides MJF.

That garbage debacle BS horribly booked "Texas death match" didn't do him any favors.

But swerve is fantastic it's too bad he signed up before HHH could get him back!

Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#300 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:55 pm

Haven't seen Full Gear yet but I liked the MJF/White build, it was true face/heel with animosity.

Return to Pro Wrestling