Wrestlemania 39 Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Wrestlemania 39 Discussion 

Post#1 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:21 am

daoneandonly wrote:Yes the Sami storyline has been great, but we're hitting all sorts of hyperbolic stretches here. Best ever? I think a lot of this is comparing the trash we've had to sit through for years now.

But off the top of my head, Hogan turning, the Sting/NWO (except terrible ending because of Hogan's ego), Rock becoming Corporate Champ than feuding with Austin, and Batista turning on Trips/Evolution we're all far better.

While I think it’s too easy to live in the moment, it’s just as easy to look back at nostalgia with the proverbial rose colored glasses. I was in the age group where one would think all those you mentioned would mean much more, yet this is the most invested I’ve ever been in a storyline for a multitude of reasons.

The organic journey of how far Sami has come in less than a year since being an afterthought in a joke gimmick match jobbing to a B-list celebrity at last years mania. The turmoil Jey Uso has been through having to fight for his spot, only to be relegated to a henchman and the internal struggle he has in seeing himself in Sami (and possibly not wanting Sami to make the same mistakes). Roman being able to stay fresh and relevant for 3 years after being roundly rejected by the audience for the first 6-7 years of his career and coming back from cancer. The Heyman promos. The emergence of Solo. Sami continuously sacrificing himself for the good of the Bloodline and still having his loyalty questioned. The flawless way they’ve interwoven the Steen-KO/Generico-Zayn friendship and rivalry into the story. KO knowing all along how this would end (possibly because he knows deep down he’d probably do the same thing). The patience they’ve displayed with all the breakup teases and tension built.

Now they need to stick the landing. I think moving forward with your nearly year long plans of giving the big moment to a guy who has been injured for nearly all of the last year is detrimental to everyone (Cody, Roman, the Bloodline, Sami).

As over as Zayn was, it’s now to the point where if you don’t pivot you run the risk of sabotaging your mania main event and Cody’s run. There’s plenty of time to build a proper story for Cody to get the big one. Right now it’s Sami’s and by god we just saw and heard that he’s earned it.

Also, so much of this stuff is subjective but I think if you polled the fan base, a vast majority want Sami and Roman at Mania vs Cody and Roman.

I think the easy and obvious way to do this is Roman loses the WWE title to Rollins at Chamber via Sami shenanigans. This incenses Roman to a level of viciousness we haven’t seen. Mania is then Cody/Rollins for the WWE title and Sami/Roman for the Universal.

Sami’s run is short. KO wins MITB and can’t resist the urge to turn back into the monster. Those two continue their whole Batman and Joker thing. I’d also have Rollins beat Cody at Mania and lose at Summerslam. Cody needs more time to build himself back up.
Do it for Chuck
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: Wrestlemania 39 Discussion 

Post#2 » by Pharaoh » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:08 am

jakecronus8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Yes the Sami storyline has been great, but we're hitting all sorts of hyperbolic stretches here. Best ever? I think a lot of this is comparing the trash we've had to sit through for years now.

But off the top of my head, Hogan turning, the Sting/NWO (except terrible ending because of Hogan's ego), Rock becoming Corporate Champ than feuding with Austin, and Batista turning on Trips/Evolution we're all far better.

While I think it’s too easy to live in the moment, it’s just as easy to look back at nostalgia with the proverbial rose colored glasses. I was in the age group where one would think all those you mentioned would mean much more, yet this is the most invested I’ve ever been in a storyline for a multitude of reasons.

The organic journey of how far Sami has come in less than a year since being an afterthought in a joke gimmick match jobbing to a B-list celebrity at last years mania. The turmoil Jey Uso has been through having to fight for his spot, only to be relegated to a henchman and the internal struggle he has in seeing himself in Sami (and possibly not wanting Sami to make the same mistakes). Roman being able to stay fresh and relevant for 3 years after being roundly rejected by the audience for the first 6-7 years of his career and coming back from cancer. The Heyman promos. The emergence of Solo. Sami continuously sacrificing himself for the good of the Bloodline and still having his loyalty questioned. The flawless way they’ve interwoven the Steen-KO/Generico-Zayn friendship and rivalry into the story. KO knowing all along how this would end (possibly because he knows deep down he’d probably do the same thing). The patience they’ve displayed with all the breakup teases and tension built.

Now they need to stick the landing. I think moving forward with your nearly year long plans of giving the big moment to a guy who has been injured for nearly all of the last year is detrimental to everyone (Cody, Roman, the Bloodline, Sami).

As over as Zayn was, it’s now to the point where if you don’t pivot you run the risk of sabotaging your mania main event and Cody’s run. There’s plenty of time to build a proper story for Cody to get the big one. Right now it’s Sami’s and by god we just saw and heard that he’s earned it.

Also, so much of this stuff is subjective but I think if you polled the fan base, a vast majority want Sami and Roman at Mania vs Cody and Roman.

I think the easy and obvious way to do this is Roman loses the WWE title to Rollins at Chamber via Sami shenanigans. This incenses Roman to a level of viciousness we haven’t seen. Mania is then Cody/Rollins for the WWE title and Sami/Roman for the Universal.

Sami’s run is short. KO wins MITB and can’t resist the urge to turn back into the monster. Those two continue their whole Batman and Joker thing. I’d also have Rollins beat Cody at Mania and lose at Summerslam. Cody needs more time to build himself back up.
Cody is built and needs to win at Mania to reach the crescendo in his story.

So does Sami.

Night 1 is Cody v Roman
Night 2 is Sami v Roman

Both nights close with the "hero" winning.

And if they treat Sami as a afterthought champion afterwards they've failed themselves.

He needs to go on a sustained run and not be a transitional or "lucky" Champ otherwise you've undone all the good thus far

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#3 » by gambitx777 » Mon Feb 6, 2023 6:32 am

Imagine the swerve if Sammy pulls out a win against Roman at EC..... Imagine that pop from the crowd if Sammy gets that pin. That sets up a 3 way at mania for the tittles that they can have a ladder match for with Sammy, Cody and Roman. Then do a simple line from michel Cole one night it's for both belts, you have to pull down both. If you only get one, the fall you only get that belt and you have to go back up before someone grabs the other one. Split the belts that way.
That solves a lot of issues, it leans into the hot act. Still gets Cody a belt, Roman couple either pull one down or have Sammy and Cody get them both. Then Roman can go away till summer slam. Come back jacked and go after cody.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#4 » by Pharaoh » Wed Feb 8, 2023 4:36 am

gambitx777 wrote:Imagine the swerve if Sammy pulls out a win against Roman at EC..... Imagine that pop from the crowd if Sammy gets that pin. That sets up a 3 way at mania for the tittles that they can have a ladder match for with Sammy, Cody and Roman. Then do a simple line from michel Cole one night it's for both belts, you have to pull down both. If you only get one, the fall you only get that belt and you have to go back up before someone grabs the other one. Split the belts that way.
That solves a lot of issues, it leans into the hot act. Still gets Cody a belt, Roman couple either pull one down or have Sammy and Cody get them both. Then Roman can go away till summer slam. Come back jacked and go after cody.

Think given Cody only wants the belt his Daddy never won is the story he has to claim that one to give the finish.

What they do with Sami is the interesting part cause obviously he deserves the hero's ending BUT do they do the Daniel Bryan thing where Sami falls short in the big moments - Chamber & Mania - only to get his redemption at Summerslam?

Is that "better" as a story? Or do they strike now while it's white hot?

That's up to Triple H

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#5 » by gambitx777 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:54 am

Brock and omas................................WTF. Come on? That just can't be the match lol. No **** way.

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,556

Post#6 » by Dominator83 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:55 am

Cena vs Theory should be awesome
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#7 » by prolific passer » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:55 am

Hope they split the titles up after wm. Raw has been pretty close to unwatchable with no world champ of their own.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#8 » by gambitx777 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:41 pm

prolific passer wrote:Hope they split the titles up after wm. Raw has been pretty close to unwatchable with no world champ of their own.
That's not true. Raws have been good lately. Codys been putting in work and the ladies really hold it down over there. They do need to get the tag belts free that tag division is floundering.

Return to Pro Wrestling