ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#221 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:17 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
tester551 wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:
Is that guaranteed? They're tied with Sacramento and Miami overall. Does tonight's game have any bearing on the draft placement? If not, they could potentially end up at #15. With a little luck, they end up at #13. If the gods are with them, perhaps they move up in the draft.

Pick is protected 1-4, so if it moves up-> GSW keep the ouck and Portland would get their '25 pick.

Since Warriors have been eliminated from playoffs contention- their pick can only be 1-4, #12 (only if Harks/Bulls make it to the playoffs), #13, or #14.

13/14 are by far the most likely outcome

I will cry if they move up that much and we lose it. I want Dalton Knecht bad and already think we need to move up a few spots as it is.

Him and Ron Holland are my guys this draft.

Dalton and Holland are really interesting - I think measurements will be huge for both. I can see them both being closer to 6'5 which would do alot to impact their draft stock IMO.

If Dalton was a legit 6'7-6'8 even at his age I would probably take him #1 in this draft. I just think he is going to be a 6'5 guy which puts him at SG height, and dont expect a big + wingspan. Another SG sized guy? I cant do it. Maybe w/ the GSW FRP if you want a 3 level scorer off the bench, but we are just so stacked at SG. (Albeit if his role is a bench scorer you can play him out of position at SF a bit more IMO).

I just really want guys that are in the 6'7-6'10 range that can play forward with both our picks - unless a clear BPA at G or C falls.

Cody Williams for example I am not super high on but he looks the part of a true 6'8 on the floor (I dont buy that 3PT% on such low volume - especially when he is like a 72% FT shooter).
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,850

Post#222 » by Norm2953 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:00 pm

FWIW: ESPN is mocking Clingan to Portland at 3

Unclear how Portland sees Ayton long term for he's now eligible for an extension if they were totally
sold on him. If Clingan is Rudy Gobert 2.0, could Portland move Ayton for positive value?
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,840

Post#223 » by cdubbz » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:33 pm

Norm2953 wrote:FWIW: ESPN is mocking Clingan to Portland at 3

Unclear how Portland sees Ayton long term for he's now eligible for an extension if they were totally
sold on him. If Clingan is Rudy Gobert 2.0, could Portland move Ayton for positive value?

If Clingan is there at the Warriors pick then he can develop behind Ayton, but I am concerned about his speed at the next level. The NBA Combine will tell the scouts a lot.

If Ayton is happy in Portland then I would keep him. He's a double double center that plays 32mpg.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#224 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:48 pm

I like Clingan but I am not taking him w/ our own FRP. Think his offensive ceiling is too low and while I see an outside chance he is a generational defender (Again, I do like him) I think its more likely he is a sort of super-Joel Pryzbilla on defense (While being better on offense).

Or in another comparison - a Roy Hibbert level defender (W/ a bit more mobility, better rebounding, better hands, etc).

I would take him as BPA at the GSW pick but think he goes to a team like MEM, CHI or OKC prior to that selection.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#225 » by Norm2953 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I like Clingan but I am not taking him w/ our own FRP. Think his offensive ceiling is too low and while I see an outside chance he is a generational defender (Again, I do like him) I think its more likely he is a sort of super-Joel Pryzbilla on defense (While being better on offense).

Or in another comparison - a Roy Hibbert level defender (W/ a bit more mobility, better rebounding, better hands, etc).

I would take him as BPA at the GSW pick but think he goes to a team like MEM, CHI or OKC prior to that selection.

I'd agree he would not be Portland's top choice with their pick but if Portland ends up with another top 3 pick,
they'll be able to go get whoever they want in this draft if they are willing to pay the price in a trade up.

However if they do pick at 3 and both Sarr and Risacher are gone, they will be left with Topic, Castle, the two UK
guards and Matas to choose from at 3. Clingan is a guy who will play 10 years in the league and given Portland's
history with bigs, they can never have enough of them.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,536

Post#226 » by zzaj » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:30 pm

FWIW, I'm not a Clingan believer. I think he's too slow and that the NBA will take away any advantages he may have. IMO, he'll be short minutes 5/5 guy at the NBA level. That being said I've only watched 2 UCONN games this year, so it's hard for me to gauge the "intangibles" in him...
tester551
Analyst
And1: 818

Post#227 » by tester551 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:51 pm

cdubbz wrote:

If Clingan is there at the Warriors pick then he can develop behind Ayton, but I am concerned about his speed at the next level. The NBA Combine will tell the scouts a lot.

If Ayton is happy in Portland then I would keep him. He's a double double center that plays 32mpg.

Just say no to Clingan.

You don't spend a top 5 pick on a Zubac or a Steven Adams level C.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#228 » by Norm2953 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:41 pm

The draft combine workouts and measurements and individual workouts will likely determine
where guys go.

I think the Blazers will target Sarr in this draft, for he's very much in the mold of the Mavs
Dereck Lively who had a solid rookie season in Dallas. Very mobile, defensive minded big
but like Clingan, is limited offensively.

One has to wonder however, if both Sarr and Risarcher off the board when Portland picks,
just who Portland picks for its nuts to pick one of the UK guards and guys like Castle,
Holland and Matas can't shoot. Scouts have been Cody Williams all season and he had an
indifferent season at Colorado.

I'm actually hoping the GSW pick somehow conveys in 2025, when its top pick protected only
in a better draft. I could live with Clingan in the mid lottery and hope Portland has a top 3
pick in 2025 with elite talents like Cooper Flagg, Ace Bailey
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,536

Post#229 » by zzaj » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:42 pm

Norm2953 wrote:The draft combine workouts and measurements and individual workouts will likely determine
where guys go.

I think the Blazers will target Sarr in this draft, for he's very much in the mold of the Mavs
Dereck Lively who had a solid rookie season in Dallas. Very mobile, defensive minded big
but like Clingan, is limited offensively.

One has to wonder however, if both Sarr and Risarcher off the board when Portland picks,
just who Portland picks for its nuts to pick one of the UK guards and guys like Castle,
Holland and Matas can't shoot. Scouts have been Cody Williams all season and he had an
indifferent season at Colorado.

I'm actually hoping the GSW pick somehow conveys in 2025, when its top pick protected only
in a better draft. I could live with Clingan in the mid lottery and hope Portland has a top 3
pick in 2025 with elite talents like Cooper Flagg, Ace Bailey

I wouldn't be totally annoyed (only mildly) if the Blazers worked out Topic and decided he was the BPA at #3. Sure, he's a guard...but if he's actually 6'6" (I don't think he is) that's actually good. He looks like he has Trex arms, but that's tough to say...

CERTAINLY, having another player who can playmake and create good looks on offense for others is something the Blazers need...lord knows there are probably too many on the team who can only create for themselves. Having two willing passers in Scoot and Topic would be pretty nice.

His defense and 3pt shot are concerns, but he's hitting at a good clip from the FT line (almost 88% on 5 per game) so I think that's something that can be fixed.

The Blazers obviously need shooting and floor spacers, but they also need more just pure playmaking (and a new coach). So Topic, at his size wouldn't be the worst outcome in a weak draft, methinks.

EDIT: looking at his video though, it does feel like I'm watching basketball in 1968. He's pretty mechanical and upright...
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#230 » by cdubbz » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:13 pm

wow wow wow wow..

He is 100% not.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#231 » by Norm2953 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:13 pm

Scouts are saying he's Gobert 2.0 and he's a legit 7-2 280 which is similar to Gobert, coming off of two NCAA titles. I remember Gobert defending Dame at the MC when he was much younger

His foot injury will have to be checked out but drafting him will allow the Blazers to eventually allow Ayton to walk, for I'd hate to have to pay for his next contract
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#232 » by cdubbz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:56 am

Norm2953 wrote:Scouts are saying he's Gobert 2.0 and he's a legit 7-2 280 which is similar to Gobert, coming off of two NCAA titles. I remember Gobert defending Dame at the MC when he was much younger

His foot injury will have to be checked out but drafting him will allow the Blazers to eventually allow Ayton to walk, for I'd hate to have to pay for his next contract

Really? Who? I don’t see it at all.

I see him as a Roy Hibbert type. Big, slow center that can be elite blocking shots and defense, average rebounder, not a shoot, & avg offensive skills. Yes Hibbert was an All-Star and all team defense.
tester551
Analyst

Post#233 » by tester551 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:15 am

cdubbz wrote:Really? Who? I don’t see it at all.

I see him as a Roy Hibbert type. Big, slow center that can be elite blocking shots and defense, average rebounder, not a shoot, & avg offensive skills. Yes Hibbert was an All-Star and all team defense.

Agreed. No good scout would make a Gobert comparison.

I can see the Hibbert possibility, but even then I think it's a major stretch.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,972

Post#234 » by DusterBuster » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:56 am

Norm2953 wrote:Scouts are saying he's Gobert 2.0 and he's a legit 7-2 280 which is similar to Gobert, coming off of two NCAA titles. I remember Gobert defending Dame at the MC when he was much younger

Gobert was more than 40lbs lighter than Clingan. Gotta agree with cdubbz on this one. Hard to see much of a comp to Gobert in Clingan.

I think a Kessler comp is probably more apt with him than Gobert.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,844

Post#235 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:18 am

I don't see Gobert in him at all.

Also I think Topic is probably a real 6'6, but it's been pointed out on the draft board before - he's a lot of neck. His shoulders are like around the size of a 6'3, 6'4 guy iirc.

REally once you see how long his neck is you can't unsee it.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#236 » by cdubbz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:35 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:I don't see Gobert in him at all.

Also I think Topic is probably a real 6'6, but it's been pointed out on the draft board before - he's a lot of neck. His shoulders are like around the size of a 6'3, 6'4 guy iirc.

REally once you see how long his neck is you can't unsee it.

The last long neck we saw was pretty good - Chris Bosh. Long neck, narrow shoulders is an uncommon bball build, but neither are one of the main measurements scouts look at (height & wingspan).

I haven’t watched Topic at all, but if he has an elite professional skill then it’s something to consider. Once again - I’ve never seen a clip of this guy.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#237 » by cdubbz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:38 am

Who is the Blazers scouts?

Having 4 picks this season is huge. 2nd rounders aren’t deep either - I hope they don’t just disregard the 2nd rounders.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#238 » by Blazinaway » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:05 am

cdubbz wrote:Who is the Blazers scouts?

Having 4 picks this season is huge. 2nd rounders aren’t deep either - I hope they don’t just disregard the 2nd rounders.

I believe asst GM/scout Mike Schmitz is all over that chit
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#239 » by cdubbz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:24 am

Blazinaway wrote:
cdubbz wrote:Who is the Blazers scouts?

I believe asst GM/scout Mike Schmitz is all over that chit

oh yeah! Love Schmitz. He's new to the role too - he was on ESPN or whatever before. I always liked his anaylsis. Okay let's see what he sees.
tester551
Analyst

Post#240 » by tester551 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 am

DusterBuster wrote:

Gobert was more than 40lbs lighter than Clingan. Gotta agree with cdubbz on this one. Hard to see much of a comp to Gobert in Clingan.

I think a Kessler comp is probably more apt with him than Gobert.

Maybe, but I don't like the Kessler comparison either. IMO, Kessler is a LOT more athletic.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers