ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,851

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#241 » by Norm2953 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 am

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nikola-topic-nba-draft-scouting-report-and-intel/

I don't see the fit with Topic or need in Portland with Scoot and Shaedon.

If there was a Brandon Miller in this draft, they'd be all over him but Matas, Ron Holland, Cody
Williams had indifferent seasons.

https://www.nba.com/news/bleacher-report-latest-2-round-mock-draft-and-pro-comparisons-as-tournament-play-heats-up

Dalton Knecht might be this years Jaime Jacquez but JJ is 20 lbs heavier with broad shoulders to play SF
while Dalton is more of a SG

Picking at 3, it would seem to me Portland is the one team that has to go get Sarr. Let's hope they get lucky
and end up with the #1 pick.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,536

Post#242 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:54 pm

Just watched the Hoop Summit. I want Cooper Flagg to be a Blazer so damned bad. Dude literally makes no mistakes and is so good at heads up play. His outside shot looks a little bit wonky but it goes in. So much AK-47 in his game...
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,840

Post#243 » by cdubbz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:14 pm

zzaj wrote:Just watched the Hoop Summit. I want Cooper Flagg to be a Blazer so damned bad. Dude literally makes no mistakes and is so good at heads up play. His outside shot looks a little bit wonky but it goes in. So much AK-47 in his game...

Yup. Flagg & Ace Bailey next year are the top 2 guys - I'm sure more guys will make names in the college season.

Blazers honestly don't need to do anything to tank. Use this coming season to develop the draft picks & hopefully trade for expirings would be ideal to me.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#244 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:50 pm

cdubbz wrote:
zzaj wrote:Just watched the Hoop Summit. I want Cooper Flagg to be a Blazer so damned bad. Dude literally makes no mistakes and is so good at heads up play. His outside shot looks a little bit wonky but it goes in. So much AK-47 in his game...

Yup. Flagg & Ace Bailey next year are the top 2 guys - I'm sure more guys will make names in the college season.

Blazers honestly don't need to do anything to tank. Use this coming season to develop the draft picks & hopefully trade for expirings would be ideal to me.

Yeah, Bailey looked pretty good in Summit, too. He's pretty dang raw, but reminded me a lot of Brandon Ingram.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 310

Post#245 » by HoopsFanAZ » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 pm

1. BPA / 2. Tiers: any player in a higher tier is better than a better fit in a lower tier / 3. Fit: when it's close

But with the Blazers NOT being amazing in free agency ...
And having to work with others in trades ... (see Toronto, a pain, who waited too long ...)

Topic? If he's the right guy? Okay.
Floor general, elite passer, who gets downhill to the hoop and scores. Hits in the paint, elbows, free throws. Defense and 3 point shooting are NOT strengths though the 3 has hopes ... and not an uber athlete. Such a move would foreshadow other moves ... and soon-ish.

Sarr > Risacher > Cody Williams
zzaj
General Manager

Post#246 » by zzaj » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:40 pm

I don't understand why nobody is considering Zacharie Perrin as a second rounder. He's actually really good at the game of basketball and is ambidextrous.

Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#247 » by Dame Lizard » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:22 am

I really want Sarr with Portland's pick. We absolutely have to draft for upside, as if the rookie doesn't pan out in his first year then that's absolutely all fine for the 2025 tank.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#248 » by Norm2953 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:28 am

It'd certainly be interesting to see how Portland builds its roster if they target Sarr in the 2024 draft.

A big question would be if Ayton and Sarr could play together for Ayton is extension eligible this
summer with $69 million left on his current deal.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#249 » by Dame Lizard » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:06 am

Norm2953 wrote:It'd certainly be interesting to see how Portland builds its roster if they target Sarr in the 2024 draft.

A big question would be if Ayton and Sarr could play together for Ayton is extension eligible this
summer with $69 million left on his current deal.
Honestly, extending Ayton is the least of my concerns right now.

Sarr is BPA for me, so that's the sole rationale behind my pick.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#250 » by Norm2953 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:22 am

I do wonder if Ayton would pout if he's not extended and wonder how he would view Portland
with their FRP, picking a player who plays his position. I wonder if he would pout if not offered
an extension.

I'd agree with Sarr in this draft being the BPA for drafting one of the guards doesn't help and guys
like Holland, Matas, Williams had indifferent seasons. He's going to be a solid defensive player,
a mobile big player for today's NBA game but is a project player offensively.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#251 » by Dame Lizard » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:25 am

Norm2953 wrote:I do wonder if Ayton would pout if he's not extended and wonder how he would view Portland
with their FRP, picking a player who plays his position. I wonder if he would pout if not offered
an extension.

I'd agree with Sarr in this draft being the BPA for drafting one of the guards doesn't help and guys
like Holland, Matas, Williams had indifferent seasons. He's going to be a solid defensive player,
a mobile big player for today's NBA game but is a project player offensively.
If he pouts then it's just an easy way for us to not consider him in our future plans and let him walk. I want team players, and while he's had a solid season, he certainly hasn't exhibited All-Star-dom to justify him pouting in such a scenario.

I agree that Sarr should be elite defensively in the NBA, and him being an offensive project suits our roll-the-dice strategy!
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 541

Post#252 » by Goldbum » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:19 pm

Had a pacers fan ask me if Jarace Walker for Bari/Murray and #13 would interest the Blazers. I say yes but curious what you guys think...

I kind of like
Scoot
Shae
Matas
Jarace
Ayton

As a starting point moving forward. You are really hoping that Jarace and Matas shooting comes around. If it does that's a forward tandem that could compliment our back court. Maybe I'd say bo if we didn't have the roster crunch since Bari was better than Jarace this season, but I don't have any personal insight on why he didn't get more run.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,472

Post#253 » by Pattycakes » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:22 pm

Goldbum wrote:Had a pacers fan ask me if Jarace Walker for Bari/Murray and #13 would interest the Blazers. I say yes but curious what you guys think...

I kind of like
Scoot
Shae
Matas
Jarace
Ayton

As a starting point moving forward. You are really hoping that Jarace and Matas shooting comes around. If it does that's a forward tandem that could compliment our back court. Maybe I'd say bo if we didn't have the roster crunch since Bari was better than Jarace this season, but I don't have any personal insight on why he didn't get more run.

Jabari already is better, so no even straight across.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#254 » by Norm2953 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:35 pm

Goldbum wrote:Had a pacers fan ask me if Jarace Walker for Bari/Murray and #13 would interest the Blazers. I say yes but curious what you guys think...

I kind of like
Scoot
Shae
Matas
Jarace
Ayton

Jabari is better today but I'd love to get Jarace who is going to be a solid PF in time.

I wouldn't take Matas however for he was just brutal this season in the G league.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 310

Post#255 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:06 pm

JUST THOUGHT I’d do a quick reminder to perhaps frame draft picks in a larger context.

Cronin has 2 years for the major decisions and moves on this team as currently constructed.
Just talking about contracts on this one with Grant being the exception …

Grant has 3 years of contract with a player option 4th year.
Brogdon has one year left — MBEC

AYTON 2 years
SIMONS 2 years
TIME LORD 2 years
THYBULLE 1 year + final year P-opt

These are all the contracts of $10 million per year AND they end in UFA in 2 years (2 exceptions noted)
[If spotrac gets it right and I didn’t screw up]
Everything else is team option, RFA, and smaller.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,840

Post#256 » by cdubbz » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:58 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:JUST THOUGHT I’d do a quick reminder to perhaps frame draft picks in a larger context.

Cronin has 2 years for the major decisions and moves on this team as currently constructed.
Just talking about contracts on this one with Grant being the exception …

Grant has 3 years of contract with a player option 4th year.
Brogdon has one year left — MBEC

AYTON 2 years
SIMONS 2 years
TIME LORD 2 years
THYBULLE 1 year + final year P-opt

These are all the contracts of $10 million per year AND they end in UFA in 2 years (2 exceptions noted)
[If spotrac gets it right and I didn’t screw up]
Everything else is team option, RFA, and smaller.

Develop the young guys - see who pops and still have veterans on the roster. Blazers definitely have the pieces to make a big trade. Exciting stuff!
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#257 » by zzaj » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:35 am

Just finished a deep dive…wish the Blazers were in a better position to draft Tristan D. That guy has a chance to be a solid starter right out of the gate. SUPER high floor…
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,715

Post#258 » by Sactowndog » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:31 am

Man you guys lost both coin flips today. That’s rough.

I hope you all don’t emulate the Kings who didn’t trade Barnes, tied with Chicago, lost the coin flip and watched Wagner go one pick before us leaving us with Davion Mitchell.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#259 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:13 am

Sactowndog wrote:Man you guys lost both coin flips today. That’s rough.

I hope you all don’t emulate the Kings who didn’t trade Barnes, tied with Chicago, lost the coin flip and watched Wagner go one pick before us leaving us with Davion Mitchell.

Certainly a couple unnecessary wins we can point to this season.

I could be wrong but at least I don't think the flip with Charlotte changes our lottery odds, we each still take half the combined odds of 3+4. But if neither of us gets picked for the lottery then it could have us picking outside the top 5 which would be so frustrating as the worst team in the west.

At 13 vs 14 I dunno how much it matters. I guess personally (based on current mocks) I am hoping one of Holland, Williams or Salaun drops there and thus we might miss out, but honestly if we think any of those guys is worth targeting then its worth it to try and move up anyways.

I wonder if we could use someone like Jabari, Reath or Banton plus maybe our second round pick and make a deal with the Rockets/Hawks/Bulls.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#260 » by Norm2953 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:33 am

Hopefully Portland will win the only thing that matters which is to win the lottery but in reading the
draft board, it might be better to be picking 5 instead of 1.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers