Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,043

Mannix: Teams monitoring Billups situation, Blazers/Billups heading for split 

Post#1 » by DusterBuster » Wed May 8, 2024 9:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Marang said on 1080 this afternoon he had gotten a call from people with first-hand knowledge and that things were "happening" in the background regarding the Blazers coaching position. So this is something that's pretty much confirmed that there are discussions with Billups and the Blazers about his future as coach, what that is has yet to be known or released.

He only has one more guaranteed year on his deal with Portland and the Blazers have not offered any extension. Billups also doesn't want to continue losing, he doesn't want his record to keep getting worse and Cronin has made it clear the Blazers #1 priority next season is development over winning. Billups might be willing to just go back to broadcasting even if he doesn't get another coaching gig. Another potential is that this news is coming from Billups' camp to pressure the Blazers to extend his deal so he's not a lame-duck coach next season.

So long story short, it's sounding more and more likely - as of right now - that Billups could very well not be the Blazers HC next season.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Re: Mannix: Teams monitoring Billups situation, Blazers/Billups heading for split 

Post#2 » by DusterBuster » Wed May 8, 2024 9:31 pm

I will say as personal opinion, this line: "If Billups/Portland split, Billups would quickly emerge as a candidate for other jobs", really has me believing the line of thinking that this is coming from his camp. Not really sure what other team would have him as a candidate after his pretty awful first few years of coaching.

Maybe the Lakers?... The bar is set pretty low after Ham and he'd be a "name" who'd connect more with LeBron since they actually played together in Team USA if I remember correct...
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 24

Re: Mannix: Teams monitoring Billups situation, Blazers/Billups heading for split 

Post#3 » by Walton1one » Wed May 8, 2024 9:46 pm

Would it be a big deal if Billups left? I think he was gone after next year anyway. I don't think he was that great of a coach to begin with, he always seemed to me to be more suited to coaching a veteran team than a young team, and this team will be young and likely will be getting younger the next 2 years at least. Bringing in a more development coach might be the better way to go anyway IMO.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#4 » by DusterBuster » Wed May 8, 2024 9:50 pm

Walton1one wrote:Would it be a big deal if Billups left? I think he was gone after next year anyway. I don't think he was that great of a coach to begin with, he always seemed to me to be more suited to coaching a veteran team than a young team, and this team will be young and likely will be getting younger the next 2 years at least. Bringing in a more development coach might be the better way to go anyway IMO.

Of course not. I'd actually be quite happy to see him gone. I think he's been a pretty bad coach for this particular moment. Outside of being great at keeping a lockerroom together and motivated, he brings nothing much else to the table. He's like a more bearable Doc Rivers. That's not what a team this deep into a rebuild nosedive needs. He wants to win, and being a Grade A motivator is great for that, but the team needs a talent developer who can instill good fundamentals, not a motivator.

They need to rip this bandaid off and fast.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,777

Post#5 » by Case2012 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:52 pm

Thank god.

I wonder if we would look at Becky Hammond again, that would be a major feel good story. I also have a feeling we get the first pick, teams that lose their super stars usually have a funny way of doing that, although there's not a clear cut super star this year.

(Low key think Dilly is gonna lead the league in scoring someday though, call me crazy.)
Instagram: @casetwelve
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#6 » by DusterBuster » Wed May 8, 2024 10:01 pm

Case2012 wrote:Thank god.

I wonder if we would look at Becky Hammond again, that would be a major feel good story. I also have a feeling we get the first pick, teams that lose their super stars usually have a funny way of doing that, although there's not a clear cut super star this year.

(Low key think Dilly is gonna lead the league in scoring someday though, call me crazy.)

Honestly, why would Becky take this job over the Aces' job? Being the first Female NBA HC would be cool, but her record would just be awful. This isn't like the last HC search where the idea was that the Blazers were still looking to stay competitive with a top 10 player in Dame.

I don't see any way this team will be "big name" hunting for it's next coach. I think they'll be looking for player development guys - assistant coaches from good teams who have had a hand in player development on their current teams and looked at as primed for their first HC job.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,876

Post#7 » by Norm2953 » Wed May 8, 2024 10:23 pm

It would be interesting if Jody (who wanted Becky Hammond before) got involved in the
coaching job.

If offered enough money, its still the NBA vs the WNBA which is like comparing a first round draft
pick salary in the NBA to the WNBA as a player.

With a competent coach, it's not the worst job in the league assuming all the injured make it back
onto the court. Team still has 4 guards who can all play in the league, Ayton and TL to play center
along with Grant and a bunch of guys to play up front along with 2 lottery picks.

It's just a matter of getting all these pieces to fit together for Chauncey was clueless on how to
put together a system that gave the current roster their best chance to win. Whether that coach
is Becky Hammon or whoever else, we'll all find out soon enough
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,204

Post#8 » by BNM » Wed May 8, 2024 10:42 pm

Please let this be true. He never should have been hired in the first place and has done nothing to justify that hire.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,874

Post#9 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed May 8, 2024 11:52 pm

Could we be so lucky?

If so, I don't expect a Becky Hammond look because the WNBA season is about to start. I would expect a Dawn Staley look, along with Bud, that assistant over in Minnesota, and probably look at assistants on the OKC and maybe even Orlando benches (based on how great Orlando's defense was this year and the leap they took).

If Spo hadn't signed an extension I bet they would've taken a look thee.

But this is great news if there's genuine exploration of looking at a coaching change. I 100% agree with Duster that the line about jobs lined up for Chauncey to be interviewed for is without doubt coming from his camp. I'm guessing his camp is a bit annoyed at not renewing assistant contracts.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,876

Post#10 » by Norm2953 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:45 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:Could we be so lucky?

If so, I don't expect a Becky Hammond look because the WNBA season is about to start. I would expect a Dawn Staley look, along with Bud, that assistant over in Minnesota, and probably look at assistants on the OKC and maybe even Orlando benches (based on how great Orlando's defense was this year and the leap they took).

If Spo hadn't signed an extension I bet they would've taken a look thee.

But this is great news if there's genuine exploration of looking at a coaching change. I 100% agree with Duster that the line about jobs lined up for Chauncey to be interviewed for is without doubt coming from his camp. I'm guessing his camp is a bit annoyed at not renewing assistant contracts.

Especially since his brother Rodney was one of the AC whose contract was not renewed.

No question Chauncey's camp wants him out of Portland and likely would agree to a mutual agreement to part company,
which would allow whoever the new coach to name his (her) new staff
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,681

Post#11 » by PDXKnight » Thu May 9, 2024 1:37 am

DusterBuster wrote:

Honestly, why would Becky take this job over the Aces' job? Being the first Female NBA HC would be cool, but her record would just be awful. This isn't like the last HC search where the idea was that the Blazers were still looking to stay competitive with a top 10 player in Dame.

I don't see any way this team will be "big name" hunting for it's next coach. I think they'll be looking for player development guys - assistant coaches from good teams who have had a hand in player development on their current teams and looked at as primed for their first HC job.

I have limited interst in becky and feel shes somewhat of an overrated candidate. She needs major success as a lead assistant in the NBA or a college mens head coach for me to be interested.

If we are hiring a female hc just to be the first team to do it it's the wrong call imo. It should be done because a candidate is qualified. Wnba and college womens isn't the same level of competition and never in history has a man with that resume been even considered for an NBA job. I'd guess many of the inspiring female role models would concur that it should be earned not given

Becky Hammond has some nba experience I'll give her that. Staley doesn't have any and to me would seem a ridiculous hire.
Renegade
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#12 » by Renegade » Thu May 9, 2024 1:55 am

Becky Hammon. No d.
The Sebastian Express

Post#13 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu May 9, 2024 2:29 am

PDXKnight wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

I have limited interst in becky and feel shes somewhat of an overrated candidate. She needs major success as a lead assistant in the NBA or a college mens head coach for me to be interested.

If we are hiring a female hc just to be the first team to do it it's the wrong call imo. It should be done because a candidate is qualified. Wnba and college womens isn't the same level of competition and never in history has a man with that resume been even considered for an NBA job. I'd guess many of the inspiring female role models would concur that it should be earned not given

Becky Hammond has some nba experience I'll give her that. Staley doesn't have any and to me would seem a ridiculous hire.

We literally have a coach who had one year of assistant experience.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#14 » by PDXKnight » Thu May 9, 2024 2:50 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

How did that work out for us? I think Chauncey was a stupid hire from day 1.
The Sebastian Express

Post#15 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu May 9, 2024 3:27 am

PDXKnight wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:

It didn't work out. But Becky also had extensive NBA assistant experience by this point compared to him.

The purpose of my post, however, was to counter your comment of never in history has a man with that resume been even considered for an NBA job. This is demonstrably false, as Steve Nash was hired without being even an assistant first (he was only a player development consultant) and JJ Reddick is currently linked to an NBA job despite also having no assistant experience.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#16 » by PDXKnight » Thu May 9, 2024 5:23 am

PDXKnight wrote:

It didn't work out. But Becky also had extensive NBA assistant experience by this point compared to him.

The purpose of my post, however, was to counter your comment of never in history has a man with that resume been even considered for an NBA job. This is demonstrably false, as Steve Nash was hired without being even an assistant first (he was only a player development consultant) and JJ Reddick is currently linked to an NBA job despite also having no assistant experience.

Yes Becky has more than Chauncey I agree. At the same time I don't think either has enough to lead a team currently.

And fair enough, I'll back off my initial statement as youre correct in saying those coaches didnt have experience. At the same time I can't really say it's generally worked out too well going with coaches who didn't have that experience
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,558

Post#17 » by zzaj » Thu May 9, 2024 6:22 am

This is interesting news…

I’d love Hammon…in about 2-3 years. The team needs to suck first and she’s too good of a coach (if you trust everything that is being said about her, including Pop) to lose hard for the next two seasons.

If the goal is losing as a way of developing, Chauncey is probably about as good as the Blazers are going to get. He kept a positive locker room and players trusted him. In some ways last year was a poor indication of his coaching because his best players only played 4 games together. I’m not really sure Spo or another good coach would have done much better trotting out a starting lineup of Scoot/Banton/Camara/Walker/Reath. That being said he didn’t fare much better with much more talented lineups the past couple of years…

I’ll be honest, I don’t really care who the coach is for the next year or two. The emphasis is going to be getting Scoot to be the consistent 18/7/10 guy he can be, Sharpe to do his best VC impression, and to develop the #4 this year and Flagg next year (a boy can hope, right?)

IMHO, the big upgrade needs to happen in ‘26-‘27.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#18 » by JasonStern » Thu May 9, 2024 7:12 am

I still resent the fact that Stotts was fired. I know it was Olshey passing the blame for his incompetence onto Terry. Doesn't make it right.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#19 » by PDXKnight » Thu May 9, 2024 1:07 pm

JasonStern wrote:I still resent the fact that Stotts was fired. I know it was Olshey passing the blame for his incompetence onto Terry. Doesn't make it right.

Stotts is obviously better than who followed him. But at the same time he was one dimensional as an offensive coach and his pace was quite slow in the modern NBA so he wasn't exactly irreplaceable

I think the reality is Portland is incapable of making a good hire at coach. Either it's hubris or we just can't attract a good coach with the combination of the worst owner in the NBA and the tanking. Either way we are great at scraping the bottom consistently
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,941

Post#20 » by basketballRob » Thu May 9, 2024 1:14 pm

With the success of Orlando and OKC with coaches that have a developmental background, I think young teams are looking at them more now. The assistants that got fired will probably get replaced by developmental coaches.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to Portland Trail Blazers