ImageImage

Mannix: Teams monitoring Billups situation, Blazers/Billups heading for split

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,559

Re: Mannix: Teams monitoring Billups situation, Blazers/Billups heading for split 

Post#21 » by zzaj » Thu May 9, 2024 3:20 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
JasonStern wrote:I still resent the fact that Stotts was fired. I know it was Olshey passing the blame for his incompetence onto Terry. Doesn't make it right.

Stotts is obviously better than who followed him. But at the same time he was one dimensional as an offensive coach and his pace was quite slow in the modern NBA so he wasn't exactly irreplaceable

I think the reality is Portland is incapable of making a good hire at coach. Either it's hubris or we just can't attract a good coach with the combination of the worst owner in the NBA and the tanking. Either way we are great at scraping the bottom consistently

While it's true that Stotts has never lit the world on fire in terms of pace of his offensive schemes, it should be mentioned that in PDX the offense always went through Lillard and Lillard is a slow-paced PG. That's part of why Stotts and Lillard fit so well together. Portland also never really had a secondary creator off the dribble in the Lillard/Stotts era. Fast paced teams tend to have 1 or 2 players besides the PG who can initiate and create with the ball in their hands in transition.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,537

Re: Mannix: Teams monitoring Billups situation, Blazers/Billups heading for split 

Post#22 » by Pattycakes » Thu May 9, 2024 3:47 pm

I don’t know how to feel simply because Chauncey did all the work to connect on a personal level w these guys.

No telling how someone else gets thru to DA who seems a little emotionally challenged at times, can get Scoot locked in and has the same outlook on personnel as the front office.

I know a lot of people here can’t stand DA, Chauncey or Cronin for that matter, but I think more winning solves all those concerns.

Was hoping to see Chauncey back next year with these guys for another opportunity with a full offseason under everyone’s belts. Maybe wishful thinking at this point.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,779

Post#23 » by Case2012 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:50 pm

Stotts was terrible in the playoffs but man, he sure got the most out of the rosters Olshey gave him. Stotts didn't like rookies and they rode the bench until they were ready for their next contracts, as much as I would kind of like him back, I don't think he would be a good developmental coach.

Budenholzer would be a great replacement. I would think he would be the top candidate right?
Instagram: @casetwelve
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,013

Post#24 » by Village Idiot » Thu May 9, 2024 5:42 pm

I am not a Chauncey fan so I would be very happy if he were to move on. Budenholzer would be great but I don't see the fit. I imagine he would prefer going to a contender.

I like the idea of Becky Hammon.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,204

Post#25 » by BNM » Thu May 9, 2024 6:02 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
How did that work out for us? I think Chauncey was a stupid hire from day 1.

It didn't work out. But Becky also had extensive NBA assistant experience by this point compared to him.

The purpose of my post, however, was to counter your comment of never in history has a man with that resume been even considered for an NBA job. This is demonstrably false, as Steve Nash was hired without being even an assistant first (he was only a player development consultant) and JJ Reddick is currently linked to an NBA job despite also having no assistant experience.

Yes Becky has more than Chauncey I agree. At the same time I don't think either has enough to lead a team currently.

Relative to Chauncey, Becky was overqualified to be the Blazers head coach. Prior to becoming POR's head coach. Chauncey had exactly 1 year of experience as a coach of any type at any level. He was one of 8 assistant coaches the Clippers had in 2020-21, and by far the least experienced on that staff.

He was behind guys like Larry Drew who has been continuously employed as an NBA coach since 1992. 2020-21 was Drew's 21st season as an NBA assistant coach, to go along with 5 seasons as an NBA head coach.

Other Clippers assistant coaches in 2020-21 were Kenny Atkinson (12th season as an NBA assistant coach + 4 seasons as an NBA head coach) and Roy Rogers (12th season as an NBA assistant coach). The other four assistant coaches on that Clippers team all had at least 5 years experience as NBA assistant coaches.

Chauncey was 8th in the pecking order, and it wasn't close. I'd be surprised if he did anything more than roll out the balls at the start of practice and shag balls during shooting drills.

Yet, he got the job over Becky Hammon, who as the 2nd most experienced assistant coach (7 years) on a Spurs staff with 5 assistant coaches. Not only did she have more experience, she had more responsibility than Chauncey.

I've said since day 1 Chauncey was a stupid hire. Nothing since then has changed my mind.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#26 » by zzaj » Thu May 9, 2024 8:07 pm

Here's why Bud would be a bad hire for the Blazers...

He'd win games. You guys remember what he did in Atlanta with that bad roster? ECF. AFAK, he was on the sidelines with Pop since the beginning. If we brought Bud in with this roster I would lay money on making the play-in.

This is NOT what the Blazers need as a franchise currently. In a couple of years? Absolutely...but not right now, IMHO.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 979

Post#27 » by Waynearchetype » Thu May 9, 2024 8:27 pm

zzaj wrote:Here's why Bud would be a bad hire for the Blazers...

He'd win games. You guys remember what he did in Atlanta with that bad roster? ECF. AFAK, he was on the sidelines with Pop since the beginning. If we brought Bud in with this roster I would lay money on making the play-in.

This is NOT what the Blazers need as a franchise currently. In a couple of years? Absolutely...but not right now, IMHO.

I say bring him in but jettison the vets. Let him try to win but with the youngins.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 858

Post#28 » by tester551 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:31 pm

Vogel just fired in Phoenix.
I'd bet Bud goes there.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,608

Post#29 » by JRoy » Thu May 9, 2024 8:40 pm

Vogel to POR would be a step up
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#30 » by zzaj » Thu May 9, 2024 9:13 pm

Waynearchetype wrote:

I say bring him in but jettison the vets. Let him try to win but with the youngins.

Bud took Millsap, Horford, Korver and Teague to the ECF. Their best player was the 17/8 Millsap...anything is possible.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,049

Post#31 » by DusterBuster » Thu May 9, 2024 10:36 pm

tester551 wrote:

I'd bet Bud goes there.

Good call, Woj reporting that its most-less a done deal of Bud to Phoenix. Bud if a fantastic coach, he should have been the hire over Billups when Dame was here, but the timing was off.

If I were Vogel, I'd be taking a few years off from coaching and just collect checks on a beach. He's not coming to coach in Portland... and as of this writing, Portland still has a coach employed so we're talking in the hypothetical.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#32 » by Shem » Thu May 9, 2024 10:43 pm

April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
zzaj
General Manager

Post#33 » by zzaj » Thu May 9, 2024 10:46 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
tester551 wrote:

I'd bet Bud goes there.

Good call, Woj reporting that its most-less a done deal of Bud to Phoenix. Bud if a fantastic coach, he should have been the hire over Billups when Dame was here, but the timing was off.

If I were Vogel, I'd be taking a few years off from coaching and just collect checks on a beach. He's not coming to coach in Portland... and as of this writing, Portland still has a coach employed so we're talking in the hypothetical.

The more I think about this the more suspicious I am of J.Allen and crew. If this is a case of them not renewing Billups' brother, and his staff, and basically forcing Billups to resign so that they won't have to pay him (aka Fire him) that is suuuuuuuuch a bad look for the franchise.

If that ends up being the case, I wouldn't look twice at Portland if I were a head coach. Who wants to work for an employer that would go out of their way to underhandedly coerce you out of a job, just so they can save money?
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#34 » by Shem » Thu May 9, 2024 10:52 pm

The question was met with an immediate yes despite Billups owning an 81-165 (.329 winning percentage) coaching record in Portland.

With all of that losing, tanking aside, it’s hard to see what Billups has done right over three seasons of guiding the Blazers’ roster.

However, from the players on up, the organization is pleased by what Billups has done not just on the court, but around the whole building as well.

“He goes above and beyond what a standard coach does,” Cronin said of Billups. “He helps me with staffing, like he’s a part of all of our high-end staffing interviews. We spend a lot of time talking about different departments throughout this organization and how we can make them better. He’s really active with feedback and ideas and just looking at ways we can improve.”

Those changes aren’t often seen or felt by the fan base since they are largely behind the scenes.

What else isn’t often seen is the work put in for coaching, going through film or scouting for the future, all of which are things Cronin believes Billups has excelled in as he tries to create a winning team from the ground up.

“He’s an incredible teacher, not just with our players in their development and teaching them how to navigate this league, but also to our staff,” Cronin said. “He’s a valuable scout, he’s got a great eye and a great feel for the game. His personality is thoroughly felt throughout this building.”

That personality has been well received by the players, too, as each one had something highly positive to say about Billups when asked during season-ending interviews. That has occurred after each of Billups’ three seasons with many different players taking the podium.

Anfernee Simons, the 24-year-old guard who some believe could be the alpha of this team moving forward, went so far as to say Billups has drastically changed his career for the better.

“I credit Chauncey for helping me change the trajectory of my career,” Simons said. “All the players respect Chauncey for all the things he’s done as a player and all the things he has to deal with as a coach. When you have that many roster turnarounds or that many trades at the trade deadline and he’s trying to implement a culture and a lot of things are changing roster-wise, that’s hard to do as a coach.”

Often over the last three years, Cronin and Billups have talked about building a new culture in Portland. One that is built on toughness and scrappy play that comes from not only good players, but good people.

For Matisse Thybulle, who’s now spent 1.5 seasons in Portland, watching Billups’ coaching style has been an eye-opening experience.

“(Billups) has a presence, which I’m sure we’ve all felt, and I think as a player when he would take the time to stop a practice or stop a shoot around and direct us or teach something, it was felt across the board,” Thybulle said. “He has an ability to create understanding for players across the board. We had a unique roster where we have a guy who’s played 10 seasons and we have multiple guys who can’t even buy alcohol. Being able to explain something in a way that everyone across that spectrum can grasp it and then apply it (speaks to his ability).”
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,537

Post#35 » by Pattycakes » Fri May 10, 2024 7:21 pm

Shem wrote:
The question was met with an immediate yes despite Billups owning an 81-165 (.329 winning percentage) coaching record in Portland.

With all of that losing, tanking aside, it’s hard to see what Billups has done right over three seasons of guiding the Blazers’ roster.

However, from the players on up, the organization is pleased by what Billups has done not just on the court, but around the whole building as well.

“He goes above and beyond what a standard coach does,” Cronin said of Billups. “He helps me with staffing, like he’s a part of all of our high-end staffing interviews. We spend a lot of time talking about different departments throughout this organization and how we can make them better. He’s really active with feedback and ideas and just looking at ways we can improve.”

Those changes aren’t often seen or felt by the fan base since they are largely behind the scenes.

What else isn’t often seen is the work put in for coaching, going through film or scouting for the future, all of which are things Cronin believes Billups has excelled in as he tries to create a winning team from the ground up.

“He’s an incredible teacher, not just with our players in their development and teaching them how to navigate this league, but also to our staff,” Cronin said. “He’s a valuable scout, he’s got a great eye and a great feel for the game. His personality is thoroughly felt throughout this building.”

That personality has been well received by the players, too, as each one had something highly positive to say about Billups when asked during season-ending interviews. That has occurred after each of Billups’ three seasons with many different players taking the podium.

Anfernee Simons, the 24-year-old guard who some believe could be the alpha of this team moving forward, went so far as to say Billups has drastically changed his career for the better.

“I credit Chauncey for helping me change the trajectory of my career,” Simons said. “All the players respect Chauncey for all the things he’s done as a player and all the things he has to deal with as a coach. When you have that many roster turnarounds or that many trades at the trade deadline and he’s trying to implement a culture and a lot of things are changing roster-wise, that’s hard to do as a coach.”

Often over the last three years, Cronin and Billups have talked about building a new culture in Portland. One that is built on toughness and scrappy play that comes from not only good players, but good people.

For Matisse Thybulle, who’s now spent 1.5 seasons in Portland, watching Billups’ coaching style has been an eye-opening experience.

“(Billups) has a presence, which I’m sure we’ve all felt, and I think as a player when he would take the time to stop a practice or stop a shoot around and direct us or teach something, it was felt across the board,” Thybulle said. “He has an ability to create understanding for players across the board. We had a unique roster where we have a guy who’s played 10 seasons and we have multiple guys who can’t even buy alcohol. Being able to explain something in a way that everyone across that spectrum can grasp it and then apply it (speaks to his ability).”

I feel pretty connected to a lot of this sentiment. I also feel that we need to let this dish cook a little bit. Continue to add draft picks and consolidate the roster season by season for fit and depth. No reason we have to pull the plug, just be a little bit better next year and the following - welcome back to the playoff hunt bigger and better. Mine as well just stay on a trajectory.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#36 » by JasonStern » Fri May 10, 2024 7:25 pm

I don't think anyone hates Chauncey. Or thinks he'd be a terrible assistant. Or wouldn't be a great front office presence. It's the whole play calling, substitutions, refusing to challenge plays, etc. And he could be a great coach someday. But, it's clear in game he was brought in too early.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager

Post#37 » by zzaj » Fri May 10, 2024 7:56 pm

JasonStern wrote:I don't think anyone hates Chauncey. Or thinks he'd be a terrible assistant. Or wouldn't be a great front office presence. It's the whole play calling, substitutions, refusing to challenge plays, etc. And he could be a great coach someday. But, it's clear in game he was brought in too early.

Yeah, agreed for the most part. Only thing I'll add is that his offensive scheme...and maybe this has to do with Brooks--the iso-heavy aspects sure reek of Brooks...is suuuuuuper vanilla, and doesn't appear to have connected with the players he has on his team. The offense from my POV appears to be basically ISO heavy sets with a single secondary action based on ballhandler reads. You need at least a couple players who can consistently create off the dribble or in ISO if that's going to have any success. Otherwise, opp scouting basically eats you alive. I mean, scouting already knows what teams run anyway...but in the Blazers' case it's so limited that it can very easily get shut down.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,875

Post#38 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat May 11, 2024 1:33 am

zzaj wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
tester551 wrote:Vogel just fired in Phoenix.
I'd bet Bud goes there.

The more I think about this the more suspicious I am of J.Allen and crew. If this is a case of them not renewing Billups' brother, and his staff, and basically forcing Billups to resign so that they won't have to pay him (aka Fire him) that is suuuuuuuuch a bad look for the franchise.

If that ends up being the case, I wouldn't look twice at Portland if I were a head coach. Who wants to work for an employer that would go out of their way to underhandedly coerce you out of a job, just so they can save money?

Why are we coming to this conclusion? They didn't renew two assistants to my knowledge. That's it.

Equally, could this not be the case of Chauncey's agents attempting to try to get their client an extension by floating rumors of Chauncey being attached to other jobs? Not dissimilar to how Kidd was linked to rumors for the Lakers job and was extended by the Mavs?

They paid him very well first a first time head coach with no experience. We have no evidence to show they're trying to get him to resign. Moving on from assistants isn't unusual.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#39 » by zzaj » Sat May 11, 2024 4:33 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:
zzaj wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Why are we coming to this conclusion? They didn't renew two assistants to my knowledge. That's it.

Equally, could this not be the case of Chauncey's agents attempting to try to get their client an extension by floating rumors of Chauncey being attached to other jobs? Not dissimilar to how Kidd was linked to rumors for the Lakers job and was extended by the Mavs?

They paid him very well first a first time head coach with no experience. We have no evidence to show they're trying to get him to resign. Moving on from assistants isn't unusual.

The timing is very unusual. And moving on from a coach’s hand selected assistants IS actually pretty unusual. It’s not like they are a huge albatross to payroll. They are essentially telling Billups, “we don’t think you did a good job choosing your staff, and your hand-chosen staff is not worth keeping.” Any warm blooded human would likely take umbrage with that.

It very well could be nothing, but like I said it just reeks of typical corporate maneuvering, and I won’t be surprised in the least if the headline becomes “Billups and Trailblazers agree to part ways”—which means the Blazers basically forced him to resign rather than firing him. And that saves the team money.

The aggregate situation is ripe for Chauncey leaving:
1) The Blazers want to lose (if you trust Cronin’s exit interview).
2) Chauncey wants to win (if you trust his exit interview). If he has another season like last season he likely won’t ever be a winning head coach.
3) The Blazers just took away two of his “people”, one of which is actual family.

Okay, I’ll take my foil hat off now…
zzaj
General Manager

Post#40 » by zzaj » Sat May 11, 2024 4:41 am

Forgot to mention…I don’t buy the “Chauncey’s camp floating the rumor of interest from other teams” narrative. That may be fine for the headline reading public, but I think GMs are in closer contact than to make this believable. All Cronin would have to do is make a couple of phone calls to figure out if there was indeed any actual interest from other teams.

If anything, I think there IS actual interest from teams—as an assistant. I think Chauncey is valued by veteran players. Apparently, KD even expressed interest for a minute after Vogel was let go.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers