ImageImage

Trade the Pick???

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

ebott
Head Coach
And1: 137

Re: Trade the Pick??? 

Post#21 » by ebott » Fri May 10, 2024 4:38 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:No one who will suck badly enough next year would trade an unprotected pick next year for this year’s Blazers’ range of a 1-7 pick AND that’s the only type I’d want. So, no.

True Dat. The scenario that's in the rhelm of possibility but unlikely is if for some reason another team is super duper high on someone in this draft and is willing to trade future picks to get them. That would be kinda silly for the Blazers to do. Birds, hands, bushes, etc. Look at where Chicago is at with the pick we owe them.

The scenario I think is somewhat likely is the Blazers trading their pick for an established player. Maybe someone that was recently drafted high but has been a disappointment but the Blazers like better than the players available at their draft position.

The thing I'm hoping for is a many for one trade for a decent player. We're basically at capacity with 14 players right now and I'm not wild about any of our young players. I'd happily send out any collection of picks and Youngs to get a player I cared about.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#22 » by cdubbz » Sun May 12, 2024 5:21 pm

Draft lottery is at 12pm noon today!

- Blazers have a 13.2% chance to land the #1 pick
- Scoot Henderson will be the Blazers representative
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#23 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:14 pm

I do think Portland will target a player in this draft, regardless of the lottery results.

It'll be interesting to see the draft combine and individual workouts but with the loss of three
assistant coaches and questions over Chauncey's future, I wonder just who will be in charge
in Portland.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,013

Post#24 » by Village Idiot » Sun May 12, 2024 6:55 pm

crossing my fingers. Not that there is anyone I feel strongly about at #1 but I have faith in Schmitz. If Detroit falls I can see us trading the 14 and Simons for their lotto pick.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,086

Post#25 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun May 12, 2024 7:22 pm

Well piss!!!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,013

Post#26 » by Village Idiot » Sun May 12, 2024 7:25 pm

That was a lot of unneeded tanking, lol.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,086

Post#27 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun May 12, 2024 7:31 pm

Now what's the plan?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,537

Post#28 » by Pattycakes » Sun May 12, 2024 7:51 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Now what's the plan?

Holland or Knecht, Zach Edey. Immediately playable and complimentary to our current bench situation. Very small picture to overthink anything right now.
Napoleon7
Senior
And1: 76

Trade the Pick??? 

Post#29 » by Napoleon7 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:52 pm

Final straw…this team needs to be sold

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,126

Post#30 » by Effigy » Sun May 12, 2024 7:53 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Case2012 wrote:We need to fully commit to the tank for the next 2-3 drafts

We're already 3 seasons into tank-a-thon. Draft better and develop the talent on the roster.

We are only one season in on the rebuild.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#31 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:03 pm

Pistons have drafted fifth despite tanking, for the past 4 seasons. Clearly committing to the
tank is not working for them.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,682

Post#32 » by PDXKnight » Sun May 12, 2024 8:07 pm

I wonder if the 14th pick would get chicago off our backs? Seems like even in a weak draft a sure thing Beats a chance at a non lotto pick years later
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,537

Post#33 » by Pattycakes » Sun May 12, 2024 8:12 pm

Lol it’s moments like this I remember why blazer fans are mostly bandwagoners and pessimists now. Be back in 3m when y’all get decide to care again
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#34 » by JasonStern » Sun May 12, 2024 8:22 pm

If ever a draft for the franchise's bad luck to bite us, this is probably the best one. Still drinking, but embracing our new "Hornets of the West" era.

Effigy wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
Case2012 wrote:We need to fully commit to the tank for the next 2-3 drafts

We're already 3 seasons into tank-a-thon. Draft better and develop the talent on the roster.

We are only one season in on the rebuild.

Lies. We're 3 seasons in. Just because we're one season post-Dame doesn't mean we didn't shut things down and tank the previous two seasons. But starting next season, we'll have Sharpe (#7), Scoot (#3), Ayton (#1), Simons, 2 2024 lotto picks, plus Brogdon/Grant as veterans. Plus a future Bucks and future Celtics pick owed. And the only 1st round pick owed is the ghost of Olshey's to Chicago. It's not a bad position to rebuild from. Will the Blazers blow it? Yes. That's what they do. But execution wise, they're doing fine. It's not like we're shackled to Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson, praying on some 2029 pick.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#35 » by PDXKnight » Sun May 12, 2024 8:24 pm

Pattycakes wrote:Lol it’s moments like this I remember why blazer fans are mostly bandwagoners and pessimists now. Be back in 3m when y’all get decide to care again

It's just sort of bitter planning a whole season around losing and playing unwatchable basketball only to wind up about as low as we could. Oh well at least we got scoot last year he's a nice piece as is sharpe
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,049

Post#36 » by DusterBuster » Sun May 12, 2024 8:31 pm

Crap drafts like this means a chance you could legit end up with the best player in the draft at any position. With no consensus, you just don’t know. A pretty pitiful end result looking just at numbers, but for a draft like this, I could kind of care less tbh.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#37 » by Blazers98 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:36 pm

Unlucky with the lottery this year but considering it is a weak draft, not a huge deal.
I'm all for trading the 14th pick to the bulls to open the possibilities up.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#38 » by PDXKnight » Sun May 12, 2024 10:28 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Crap drafts like this means a chance you could legit end up with the best player in the draft at any position. With no consensus, you just don’t know. A pretty pitiful end result looking just at numbers, but for a draft like this, I could kind of care less tbh.

Yeah it's pretty meh. Typically 1 or 2 separate themselves come draft time but time will tell
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#39 » by cdubbz » Sun May 12, 2024 11:07 pm

JasonStern wrote:If ever a draft for the franchise's bad luck to bite us, this is probably it. Still drinking, but embracing our new "Hornets of the West" era.

Jeez so pessimistic and dramatic. Hornets are an awful franchise who haven't made the playoffs in almost a decade. They also just signed Lamelo Ball to a max deal and he barely plays more than half a season if that.

Blazers future is really BRIGHT. Young players to develop, solid assets that can be traded, and draft draft picks every year going forward.

Hornets of the West is funny though - can't say any team out West is in the same position. Almost all Western Conference teams have been in the playoff mix the best decade. Spurs maybe, but they're going to crawl out soon and didn't dig themselves a grave like the Hornets.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#40 » by JasonStern » Sun May 12, 2024 11:41 pm

cdubbz wrote:
JasonStern wrote:If ever a draft for the franchise's bad luck to bite us, this is probably it. Still drinking, but embracing our new "Hornets of the West" era.

Jeez so pessimistic and dramatic. Hornets are an awful franchise who haven't made the playoffs in almost a decade. They also just signed Lamelo Ball to a max deal and he barely plays more than half a season if that.

Blazers future is really BRIGHT. Young players to develop, solid assets that can be traded, and draft draft picks every year going forward.

Hornets of the West is funny though - can't say any team out West is in the same position. Almost all Western Conference teams have been in the playoff mix the best decade. Spurs maybe, but they're going to crawl out soon and didn't dig themselves a grave like the Hornets.

I'm not stressing. Brogdon (31), Grant (30), Thybulle (27), Reath (27), and Timelord (26) are the only players on the roster over 25.

I worded what I said poorly. The Blazers are typically an unlucky franchise. My intent was if there ever was a draft to slide back, this is probably the best one to have it happen.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers