Rumors Surfacing of Houston, Portland, NYK Trade

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Re: Rumors Surfacing of Houston, Portland, NYK Trade 

Post#201 » by GEE » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:24 am

Just a few points:
1) I agree that the distance in travel, HOU vs POR shouldn't make a difference.
2) I don't think the Rockets are a better team than we are.
3) I think adding Melo won't take away from CJ's development at all. He will be getting Harkless and Aminu's shots, not CJ's.
4) I don't care about giving up a pick, regardless of protections, if it makes us a 4 seed or better. We don't need to get younger.
5) Dame said a while ago that he wanted help. Olympic Melo would certainly do that.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,787

Post#202 » by Case2012 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:32 am

Skhraeurpl wrote:Olshey wants Melo per Woj

One of the teams that New York and Houston had hoped would facilitate a multi-team trade for Anthony -- the Portland Trail Blazers -- only plans to participate in a deal for Anthony if he decides to expand his no-trade clause to include the Trail Blazers, league sources told ESPN.

Outside of Golden State, Portland believes the addition of a player such as Anthony would furnish it with talent and depth comparable to those of the top Western Conference contenders, league sources said. Because of that, the Blazers have little, if any, inclination to facilitate an Anthony deal that would land him with a Western Conference rival such as Houston, league sources said.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20075037/carmelo-anthony-counting-new-york-knicks-trading-houston-rockets

Finally joined realgm huh? And this is your first post? A Woj bomb? :lol:

Welcome to the big leagues buddy.
Instagram: @casetwelve
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 318

Post#203 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:00 am

Reports on Olshey offering three picks for Paul George? Valid?
For the moment, accept picks and player(s) were offered for a possible one-year rental ... but I would've been optimistic he would decide to stay.
Now, Carmelo Anthony. If there's enough tread on the tires ... trading guys that I would rather see come off the bench as 6th men makes this a judgment call best left to professionals like Olshey ... especially since I'm not a fan of young Carmelo Anthony. This version? Maybe.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,147

Post#204 » by Effigy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:07 am

I love these reports. I don't want Anderson, he's more of what we have, a flawed role player on a hideous contract. He doesn't move the needle. I really don't want to be the team hat helps Houston turn Anderson into Melo. That's such a crazy upgrade for them, Olshey is right not to make a trade that basically doesn't make us any better but that tremendously helps a conference rival.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,348

Post#205 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:13 am

not a fan of Melo on the Blazers...I don't believe it would be a good mesh; and I agree with Deblazer that it would be a problem for Nurkic

but if this trade did go through, I'd much rather see Harkless + Turner going out then Harkless + Crabbe. One of Turner/Meyers really needs to be gone next year, IMO. Both gone is too much to hope for

still, Id really be surprised if Melo waived his no-trade clause for Portland. Even if he did he almost certainly would not waive his trade kicker, and in that case, his cap-hit would be 30.2M....yikes!
Run PDX
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#206 » by Run PDX » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:26 am

If Melo would waive his no-trade clause to come to Portland - and, that is a big IF - then I think Portland has to take that chance... Even if it costs our pick this year, it would be worth it.

If it works out, we could fight for the second best record in the West, and who knows what could happen over the course of the season and the playoffs...
If it doesn't work out, Portland can let him walk away after one year, and take some solace in the fact that they would have more money to resign Nurkic.
And, if things got ridiculously bad, they could either buy him out or try to flip him at the trade deadline to a contender for small assets.

I don't think that he is as much of a problem on the court as people claim he is. He would flourish under a players-first coach like Stotts, and he could have a lot of fun with shooters like Dame and CJ coming off of curls and screens. And, in Portland, he wouldn't have to listen to Phil Jackson wheeze about his philosophies (like in New York), or CP3 scream about everything (like he would have to deal with in Houston).
ROXTXIA
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#207 » by ROXTXIA » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:40 am

Okay, Portland doesn't want to facilitate a Melo to Houston trade. The Trail Blazers would prefer Melo for themselves.

That's where the story ends. You know Harden and Paul heavily recruited Melo already, including in Paris. It's nothing against Portland. But Carmelo Anthony won't waive his no-trade clause to go there.
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#208 » by Blazers98 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:21 am

ROXTXIA wrote:Okay, Portland doesn't want to facilitate a Melo to Houston trade. The Trail Blazers would prefer Melo for themselves.

That's where the story ends. You know Harden and Paul heavily recruited Melo already, including in Paris. It's nothing against Portland. But Carmelo Anthony won't waive his no-trade clause to go there.

I think the friendship factor is important here as you pointed out. Also, no income tax in Texas is always a draw. Leaving NY for friends/keeping more money, joining a quality team makes sense for him. None of those exists in Portland for him.
On the very small chance he does want to come here, I'm not a fan of his. But if the price is right, then maybe we role the dice and hope for the best.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 987

Post#209 » by Waynearchetype » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:49 am

ROXTXIA wrote:Okay, Portland doesn't want to facilitate a Melo to Houston trade. The Trail Blazers would prefer Melo for themselves.

There is a lot more to this story. Portland is one of the few places with enough moveable pieces that might be willing to take on a contract like Andersons. NYK would probably rather keep Melo than take on Anderson + picks. Maybe if Houston does something silly like tons of future firsts (ala Nets/Boston) they could convince the Knicks to take him... Still though, it is hard to imagine that scenario. Either way, Portland is leveraging Houston to send out more or miss out.

It's interesting because unless Houston can find a different taker for Anderson, the trade basically dies. If it is dead, and Cleveland isn't interested, then a choice between NYK or Portland might exist. And at that point, as Amico stated in a tweet, if it just those 2 options then it might be a reality.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#210 » by red_power » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:08 am

I don't like an idea of Melo heading to Potland but let's be honest if this trade happened it would be just a straight salary dump.
Our front office could make a huge cap relief with this move whether Melo opts out or blazers simply buy him out and stretching his remainded salary.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#211 » by Ripcity4life » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:23 am

I want to start out by saying -- Always disliked Melo

However IF ( BIG BIG IF ) he were to sign off there is a chance this could work cause this could be like when Pippen came to Portland he was on his last legs but he was able to help the Blazers. Now granted Melo could not carry pippen's jockstrap in terms of the leadership Scottie brought but still closest comparison i could think of at this time.

My nightmare is i wake up in the next 24 to 72 hours and i read this headline --

Melo considering Portland ( something like that )
OR

Melo traded to Portland

but as i say this and i said it before this might be the only way the Blazers have a chance in the near future so maybe a gamble is needed but it would still be my worst nightmare come true
GEE
Starter

Post#212 » by GEE » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:38 am

Trading for Melo, to me, seems like a low risk, potentially high reward gamble. Of course, only at the right price.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 557

Post#213 » by Goldbum » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:43 am

If it's Harkless+Turner (or Meyers but would need another piece) I do it. Heck even if it takes a first I do it. Swing for the fences make this team relevant again.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
GEE
Starter

Post#214 » by GEE » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:55 am

This Woj-Bomb is definitely not an accidental leak, and it's not a leverage move. It's an offer by Olshey, to Melo, to join the Blazers. I have no doubt that Dame and CJ are aware of, and on board with this move.

My wish is that it's Leonard, Turner and a pick that gets him, but I doubt that will do it. There are many different packages we could offer, and with recent rumors, I imagine it starts with Harkless and likely a pick:

A) Harkless/Crabbe/pick
B) Harkless/Turner/pick
C) Harkless/Leonard/Vonleh/pick
D) Harkless/Leonard/Davis/pick

Personally I hope it's A, but I'd be OK with any of them, as long as we get Olympics Melo, not unmotivated NYK Melo.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#215 » by Joel Embust » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Lillard-McCollum-Anthony-Vonleh-Nurkic

Looks pretty good offensively and defensively it's decent as well. Vonleh and Nurk were awesome defensively last season. Pretty good rebounding lineup as well.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#216 » by PDXKnight » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Eleqtrique wrote:Lillard-McCollum-Anthony-Vonleh-Nurkic

Looks pretty good offensively and defensively it's decent as well. Vonleh and Nurk were awesome defensively last season. Pretty good rebounding lineup as well.

Fixed for ya. Two decent defenders don't make up for the other 3 being absolutely atrocious on that end of the floor. This trade would be a total roll of the dice on our ability to outscore opponents
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#217 » by Masterfully » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:16 pm

I think this is a moot point since he won't agree to come here, but...

Melo had his least productive season as a pro last year (going by WS/48) and that is extremely typical for guys his age. There is no reason to think he will revert to his old form in Portland. He will probably continue to decline.

Having said that, if you can get him by trading our bad contracts for his bad contract I say go for it.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,889

Post#218 » by Norm2953 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Seems obvious Portland is simply posturing for a better deal for they are not happy with their
return for facilitating for Houston and New York.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 138

Post#219 » by Butter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:05 pm

I see two realistic scenarios.

1) The Blazers are posturing for a better deal (exactly what a good GM should be doing)
2) Prep for a massive salary dump. Blazers unload young, bloated salaries, Melo opts out next year, and there you go, out of cap hell.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,889

Post#220 » by Norm2953 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Butter wrote:I see two realistic scenarios.

1) The Blazers are posturing for a better deal (exactly what a good GM should be doing)
2) Prep for a massive salary dump. Blazers unload young, bloated salaries, Melo opts out next year, and there you go, out of cap hell.

:)

Return to Portland Trail Blazers