2014-2015 Trade Idea Thread

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Re: 2014-2015 Trade Idea Thread 

Post#201 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Jan 8, 2015 7:27 pm

So stay with me for a second here as I explain this trade...

Boston Trades: Jeff Green & Evan Turner
Denver Trades: Aaron Afflalo & Nate Robinson,
Philadelphia Trades: No one
Portland Trades: Thomas Robinson, CJ McCollum, Meyers Leonard, Dorell Wright, Victor Claver, Joel Freeland, Will Barton, Allen Crabbe, 2015 1st, 2017 1st & 2015 2nd

Boston Receives: CJ McCollum, Victor Claver, Will Barton & 2015 1st from Portland

Denver Receives: Thomas Robinson, Meyers Leonard, Dorell Wright, Allen Crabbe & 2017 1st from Portland

Philadelphia Receives: Joel Freeland & 2015 2nd from Portland

Portland Receives: Jeff Green, Aaron Afflalo, Evan Turner & Nate Robinson

Why for Boston: It sounds like Boston is looking to rebuild, move contracts and acquire draft picks. This does that for them. They rid themselves of 2 contracts and bring back 2 expiring contracts, plus one decent prospect and save a lot of money!

Why for Denver: It sounds like Denver is looking to move contracts and acquire draft picks. this does that for them.

Why for Philadelphia: It sounds like Philadelphia is willing to be a part of anyone's trade so long as there is something in it for them. This does that for them. You could throw a little cash their way if necessary, but not much!

Why for Portland: Portland builds its strongest bench in 13 years to help them go deep into the playoffs. There is redundancy, but there is also a lot of flexibility. Starter minutes might decrease a bit to stay fresh for the playoffs and you have the option of going with the hot hand in games rather than pulling them out for a breather. I know it's too much, but since when is that a bad thing?

Portland brings back: Jermaine O'Neal, Travis Outlaw, Brandon Roy & Greg Oden

PG Lillard / Robinson / Blake
SG Matthews / Turner / Roy
SF Batum / Afflalo / Outlaw
PF Aldridge / Green / O'Neal
_C Lopez / Kaman / Oden

Let's do this!!!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,832

Post#202 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Jan 8, 2015 8:20 pm

That's way too many people that need the ball to be effective on the second unit IMO
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#203 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Jan 8, 2015 8:29 pm

Well the Grizz are looking to add Deng or Green, makes sense. They desperately need a starting caliber SF. Which Is why I don't see the reason we would make a move for Green since Batum and Wes are healthy 33 mpg+ players.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#204 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Jan 8, 2015 8:48 pm

TSE - of course!!! I wouldn't play Nate Robinson, Steve Blake, Brandon Roy, Travis Outlaw, Jermaine O'Neal or Greg Oden. I'd run Evan Turner at PG with Afflalo at SG, Green at SF/PF and Kaman at C with whichver starter was still in the game. Probably still one too many players, but a lot of teams will run with 9 players during the regular season.

As for the minutes distribution... If you had Jeff Green or Wilson Chandler, they could get up to 28 minutes at backup SF because Batum could get up to 14 minutes at backup SG. Now, Lillard may grab some of those SG minutes as well so it probably won't be quite that much. However, Green and Chandler would pick up some minutes at the backup PF position, as well. Green or Chandler could quite easily get 30+ minutes per game with the Blazers if the Blazers were to only add one player to the roster. Aaron Afflalo probably wouldn't get quite that many minutes as he only affects the SG/SF positions and not the PF position. That's why if we're gonna trade with Denver, I would probably rather have Chandler. If I'm the Blazers, knowing that Denver and Boston are looking to move a player, I would target Green or Chandler. I haven't watched Green in a while so I would probably lean towards Chandler. He seems like a team player who could fit in nicely with the Blazers and can defend the SG, SF & PF positions.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#205 » by cucad8 » Thu Jan 8, 2015 8:54 pm

Waynearchetype wrote:
Jsun947 wrote:Afflalo for CJ, Wright, Crabbe
Young for Robinson, Leonard, Claver

Sign Oneal & Dalembert

Lillard/Blake/?
Matthews/Afflalo/Barton
Batum/Young/?
Aldridge/Oneal/Freeland
Lopez/Kaman/Dalembert

I don't get why people want Afflalo when Kevin Martin is likely just as available, better, and slightly cheaper.

Martin has one more year on his deal than afflalo does, and only pays on one side of the court. I'd still take him but would prefer afflalo
James72
Sixth Man
And1: 474

Post#206 » by James72 » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:25 pm

With Jeff Green going to MEM, is it Afflalo or die now? Is there any other reasonable options outside of him and Martin?

I think we all agree there needs to be a move, just seems longer we wait, less is available. Also DAL, MEM, HOU, OKC, PHO etc are all making moves to get better, while we sit idle. Not saying we need to make one JUST to make one, but its frustrating to see teams around you get better.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#207 » by Blazinaway » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:14 am

James72 wrote:With Jeff Green going to MEM, is it Afflalo or die now? Is there any other reasonable options outside of him and Martin?

I think we all agree there needs to be a move, just seems longer we wait, less is available. Also DAL, MEM, HOU, OKC, PHO etc are all making moves to get better, while we sit idle. Not saying we need to make one JUST to make one, but its frustrating to see teams around you get better.

I tend to agree, Green went cheap with an expiring Prince and a very highly protected first that, Brandan Wright did not cost much either, so far we are losing the arms race in the Western Conference
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#208 » by JasonStern » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:53 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/553693024127954944[/tweet]

James72 wrote:DAL, MEM, HOU, OKC, PHO etc are all making moves to get better, while we sit idle. Not saying we need to make one JUST to make one, but its frustrating to see teams around you get better.

that's not true. Portland discussed the possibility of potentially looking at maybe signing Jermaine O'Neal, if he's interested.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#209 » by Blazinaway » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:57 am

JasonStern wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/553693024127954944[/tweet]

James72 wrote:DAL, MEM, HOU, OKC, PHO etc are all making moves to get better, while we sit idle. Not saying we need to make one JUST to make one, but its frustrating to see teams around you get better.

that's not true. Portland discussed the possibility of potentially looking at maybe signing Jermaine O'Neal, if he's interested.

seems like it would have been a good move IMO but WTFDIK? Yeah lets get Jermaine - meh!
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#210 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:58 am

James72 wrote:With Jeff Green going to MEM, is it Afflalo or die now? Is there any other reasonable options outside of him and Martin?

I've been frustrated for a while now. It started with the trade for TRob which I thought was dumb.

Portland has nearly 15 million (23% of the cap) and 7 roster slots tied up in TRob, Meyers, CJ, Wright, Claver, Barton, & Crabbe. Yeah, every once in a while one of those guys is actually productive in a game. But far too often, they produce nothing except inconsistency. For chrissakes, 5 of them were on the floor for nearly 5 minutes in the last game and managed to score 2 points. That would be 19 points over 4 quarters...less then 5 points a quarter... :roll:

I honestly don't think Olshey has any intention of doing anything other then sitting on his hands till the summer, but maybe he'll surprise me
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#211 » by JasonStern » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:58 am

Wizenheimer wrote:I've been frustrated for a while now. It started with the trade for TRob which I thought was dumb.

meh. I forgive that. Portland was in this weird "blow it up if we can't convince Aldridge to stay" mode with recent lottery picks in Lillard, Leonard, and ultimately McCollum, along with drafting Barton and, ultimately Crabbe. had Aldridge demanded a trade, then picking up a recent lottery pick power forward to develop made some sense.

the problem was last season when Portland started hot. Aldridge decides he's going to stay, so what does Portland do? continue to waste more than half of the roster trying to develop talent instead of acquiring proven players to round out the bench. needless to say, our bench production over the last 3 seasons shows how well that plan works.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,832

Post#212 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:58 am

JasonStern wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/553693024127954944[/tweet]

Of course he wants them to trump Memphis. He's a Boston fan that wanted more for Green.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#213 » by Dame Lizard » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:16 am

After a breakout year, Miles Plumlee has fallen back in the pecking order in Phoenix, particularly after the Wright trade. I wonder how much he'd command?
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#214 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:49 am

Interesting trade that Phoenix made for Alex Len, Plumlee, Wright and the Morris twins, they have a
ton of size to go with their guards which gave us fits last year. Together with the Grizzlies getting
Green, OKC getting Waiters, Dallas Rondo, Houston Brewer, etc the arms race in the western
conference continues.

Makes you wonder if GS is going to make a move for I'm like Wiz and thinks it doubtful Portland will
make a move.
oldfishermen
Junior
And1: 73

Post#215 » by oldfishermen » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:37 am

In the long run, trading a first round pick for a half season rental for Brandan Wright does not make any sense.

There is no way the Blazers can afford to pay Jeff Green $9+ million next season. This season, the priority is, and always has been from the start of the season, to have the cap space to re-sign LMA, Wes & Rolo.
James72
Sixth Man

Post#216 » by James72 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:40 am

JasonStern wrote:

Which, if he decides to come back, would more than likely pick dallas. If he would sign with us, he would avg what... 8mpg? Behind Kaman, Lopez, LMA, Freeland splitting.

I suppose the most frustrating part is, for the first time in a while now we have expendable assets and arguably one of the most coveted asset, a first round pick. We certainly don't need another late first round player to sit on our bench come next year, and there is only so many players available that fits our needs, so why are we gun shy?
James72
Sixth Man

Post#217 » by James72 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:48 am

oldfishermen wrote:In the long run, trading a first round pick for a half season rental for Brandan Wright does not make any sense.

There is no way the Blazers can afford to pay Jeff Green $9+ million next season. This season, the priority is, and always has been from the start of the season, to have the cap space to re-sign LMA, Wes & Rolo.

We will most likely be at about $18mil in salaries before we start resigning guys (Kaman & blake options picked up). If the luxury line stays the same (which certainly it'll go up) at $77mil, leaving $59mil to start signing players. Lopez & Mathews...$24milish? Aldridge $20mil?

So $15mil left before we hit the luxury line, and when Lillards contract kicks in, Green's will be coming off the books.

Sure Wiz will correct something, but from Hoopshype thats the way I'm interpreting it.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/portland.htm
oldfishermen
Junior
And1: 73

Post#218 » by oldfishermen » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:00 am

James72 wrote:
oldfishermen wrote:In the long run, trading a first round pick for a half season rental for Brandan Wright does not make any sense.

We will most likely be at about $18mil in salaries before we start resigning guys (Kaman & blake options picked up). If the luxury line stays the same (which certainly it'll go up) at $77mil, leaving $59mil to start signing players. Lopez & Mathews...$24milish? Aldridge $20mil?

So $15mil left before we hit the luxury line, and when Lillards contract kicks in, Green's will be coming off the books.

Sure Wiz will correct something, but from Hoopshype thats the way I'm interpreting it.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/portland.htm

IF, Jeff Green was going to be a starter for the Blazers, I would agree with your point.

HOWEVER, Olshey is not going to trade for a player that will come off of the bench that is making a larger salary than three of his starters.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#219 » by zzaj » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:04 am

Olshey is obviously putting a ton of importance on roster continuity and chemistry (which has merit).

The razor's edge of that is: does continuity & chemistry trump pure talent through every round of the playoffs? Because it's looking like there will be at least 5 teams in the West that will have made moves to be more talented 1-9 than the Blazers, short-term. Pretty scary for Blazer fans...

Even though he's a very versatile player, I wonder what something like:

Batum + 1st + Meyers/McCollum/TRob/Wright (depending on team need) could fetch. I don't think Olshey will be able to retain this starting 5 at market value, have a bench and stay under the cap. Something will have to give...
Run PDX
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#220 » by Run PDX » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Are we getting to that point of the season where every player who is sat out of a game is going to be rumored to be traded (aside from the Spurs and Kobe, of course)?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers