PDX Free Agency Rumors, Tweets and Updates

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Re: PDX Free Agency Rumors, Tweets and Updates 

Post#1161 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:28 am

TBpup wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/622850500204040192[/tweet]

if I read the contract right, Blazers could waive Haywood and recapture all the cap-space

Cavs can't trade a 1st till 2018

but they do have NY Knicks 2nd round pick in 2016 as well as Portland's 2017 2nd rd pick. Either one of those would likely be good assets

on the other hand, giving Cleveland a 10.5 million TPE means there would be a little more competition in trade discussions for Portland's cap-space

RealGM doesn't show picks from NY or Portland. They show protected picks from the Clips and the Kings that are protected through #55 like the pick we traded for Harlkess. That really doesn't do anything for us. Is there something they have done recently that RealGM doesn't have updated?

you're right...for some lame reason, I was on the Houston square

yep, they have nothing in the way of 2nd round picks that's even worth the paperwork because all their 2nds are gone till 2020. It would have to be a 1st round pick and the earliest they could send is 2018. Blazers might be better off getting a pick in 2019 or 2020 wen Lebron is 35 or 36
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#1162 » by TBpup » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:43 am

It looks like Haywood's contract might not be guaranteed and the acquiring team can waive him....still trying to see if that is absolutely correct but I'm sure someone here can confirm that. Cavs could waive him but it doesn't help them cap wise. Creating a TPE helps them much more. I believe Portland could take him on, waive him and still have their $24+M of cap space for something else.

Since there are a couple other teams that can facilitate, it doesn't seem likely the Cavs will give up much since the acquiring team might have their cap space back the next day.
@TBpup22
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#1163 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:47 am

That's what I heard about Hayward's contract. The question is ... what's the benefit for Portland giving Cleveland a $10 million TPE???
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#1164 » by Jsun947 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:53 am

I would have preferred to trade Henderson and sign McDaniels but 10/3 is a really fair deal for him. I probably would have offered like 16/4 but Houston probably matches anyway.

If we trade with Clev he's just gonna get waived anyway. They don't exactly have many picks to offer though unless it's a very very distant 2nd rounder...
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#1165 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:08 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:That's what I heard about Hayward's contract. The question is ... what's the benefit for Portland giving Cleveland a $10 million TPE???

yeah...after I looked at the right team, it's clear that Cleveland doesn't have a 2nd round pick till 2020. Their next available 1st is in 2018. That's very likely going to be a real late 1st...like in the 26-30 range. I'd imagine Cleveland is reluctant to trade it just to get a 10 million TPE

then there's the factor I mentioned: Blazers are sitting with a ton of cap-space. Only a couple of teams can compete with them as a salary dumping ground. If Cleveland has a TPE, theoretically they could compete with Portland's cap-space
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#1166 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:26 am

I'd likely ask for a first round pick four or five years down the line as opposed to 2018. Likely
there will be lottery protection but nobody knows who will be playing for the Cavs in 2020.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#1167 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:56 am

Possible (though less likely?) scenario:
1. Cleveland wants the trade exception … sure.
2. Portland can extract a pick … and a 1st with significant protection gives what Cleveland could use now for what
may or may not be much help later.
3. Portland doesn't have to simply waive and recoup their cap room. While Cleveland apparently wants the TPE with no player returned to them, another team may want to send a contract or two in exchange for a guy they'll cut (Haywood), especially if the contracts add up to the allowable percentage in trade above and beyond Haywood's contract.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#1168 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:57 am

Just a thought.
portlandoden
Pro Prospect
And1: 50

Post#1169 » by portlandoden » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:10 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:Possible (though less likely?) scenario:
3. Portland doesn't have to simply waive and recoup their cap room. While Cleveland apparently wants the TPE with no player returned to them, another team may want to send a contract or two in exchange for a guy they'll cut (Haywood), especially if the contracts add up to the allowable percentage in trade above and beyond Haywood's contract.

If there's players out there, Cavs would have traded Haywood for them already. They've been on the phone for weeks.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#1170 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:33 am

If Haywood isn't actually being shopped and this rumor is old or never was … then I agree. Cleveland could've traded him by now … if they were looking for players in return.

Especially with their upcoming tax bill, getting players in return doesn't seem to be the case. Actually using the TPE by Cleveland means spending and getting a bigger tax bill if and only if they're getting the right player … and that could take some time. Better to have a TPE as an option than only saving tax dollars.

It's (theoretically) about Portland getting assets beyond Haywood and/or flipping Haywood to another team for a contract or two. For instance, if Denver only wanted Nick Johnson from Houston, Portland could take on 1 year contracts coming from Houston while Denver simply waives Haywood … not that I'm advocating for getting in on the Houston deal.

EDITED: Yes, portlandoden and DaVoiceMaster almost assuredly have the right of it. The Flip-Option of Haywood for the Blazers would be of little to no practical, positive result. The common sense of what Cleveland would pay for getting the TPE is the deal. Haywood's value to another team as an expiring contract (given the cap increase) is also limited as well as being 35 and one year removed from playing 20 minutes a game at $10 mil per.
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#1171 » by TBpup » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:57 pm

This story really has to do with next year but points out the historically limited success of having cap space to sign FA's. It's a good read but doesn't bode well for teams with extra money to spend.

http://hoopshype.com/2015/07/19/the-great-big-myth-of-free-agency-2016/
@TBpup22
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#1172 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:59 pm

Portland doesn't need to flip Hayward to another team for a contract or two. They've got the cap space outright to take on a contract or two. The other team would not have to take on any salary, even to simply waive it. In fact, they'd get a TPE instead of waiving Hayward. I'm just not seeing a trade for Hayward as beneficial to Portland unless they get something more in return and it doesn't sound like Cleveland has anything more to offer.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#1173 » by mojomarc » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:18 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Portland doesn't need to flip Hayward to another team for a contract or two. They've got the cap space outright to take on a contract or two. The other team would not have to take on any salary, even to simply waive it. In fact, they'd get a TPE instead of waiving Hayward. I'm just not seeing a trade for Hayward as beneficial to Portland unless they get something more in return and it doesn't sound like Cleveland has anything more to offer.

A future first, even a late first, is a pretty valuable get for a rebuilding team. If NO can accumulate firsts from our abundant cap space with no 2016 or beyond implications, this would be good. Heck, even future seconds would be good, given how many of these we probably owe by now :D
Butter
General Manager
And1: 124

Post#1174 » by Butter » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:53 am

There are only three teams in the NBA that still have the cap space to give him a raise from last year: the Portland Trail Blazers ($16.4 million in cap space); Philadelphia 76ers ($16.3 million); and Indiana Pacers ($11.5 million). Smith said he had some “discussions” with the Blazers but they didn’t go anywhere. So if the offers came from organizations outside of Philadelphia and Indiana, they’re gone. – via Cleveland Plain Dealer

Probably Smith's agent contacting Neo, but no interest from the Blazers?
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#1175 » by Moonbeam » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:23 am

Apparently Connaughton has been signed to a 3-year deal with 2 years guaranteed.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2015/7/20/9007401/pat-connaughton-portland-trail-blazers-deal
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#1176 » by Norm2953 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:26 am

He's got a decent chance at Pt for the team is sorely lacking in shooters.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#1177 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:17 am

Two PGs mentioned previously and worth going after?

1. Kendall Marshall -- unrestricted, rehabbing from an ACL but all is said to be going well. Higher level passing skills with much improved shooting from 3.
2. Matthew Dellavedova -- restricted but Cleveland signed Mo Williams and it's about what they will or won't match -- tough, good size, performed well under pressure.
8-)
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#1178 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:22 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:Two PGs mentioned previously and worth going after?

1. Kendall Marshall -- unrestricted, rehabbing from an ACL but all is said to be going well. Higher level passing skills with much improved shooting from 3.
2. Matthew Dellavedova -- restricted but Cleveland signed Mo Williams and it's about what they will or won't match -- tough, good size, performed well under pressure.
8-)

I'm wondering if Olshey is so determined to see CJ play backup PG, he won't sign a 3rd PG.

besides that, counting Montero, the Blazers roster is at 14. They probably want to leave an open slot for an unbalanced trade
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#1179 » by Blazinaway » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:42 am

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#1180 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:08 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:Two PGs mentioned previously and worth going after?

8-)

Dellavedova would be a nice pickup and from the sound of things Cleveland is watching every dollar now that Lebron has already signed and they have so much salary locked up. I'd offer dellavedova 4 years 32 mil and make Cleveland seriously consider whether it's worth it. Worst case scenario he's overpaid but in the new cba thatll only be mle type of money. He's put up good stats in limited minutes so he may be worth a long hard look

Return to Portland Trail Blazers