ImageImage

The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2023-2024 Edition!

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Re: The NBENFANT Thread (NBA): 2015-16 Edition 

Post#81 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Jan 4, 2016 1:16 pm

LOL what a dumb comment by the suns owner about millennials. Does he not realize like 90% of the NBA are millennials?

Your team doesn't suck cause of that, its cause you guys are aimless and don't do your homework on player personalities. How else do you explain signing Tyson Chandler to a long term deal headed into what should be a rebuilding year? Or Isiaih Thomas when you already had 2 big time PGs and drafted a 3rd in the lotto?
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#82 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Jan 4, 2016 2:03 pm

We have a better point differential than the Grizz and Rockets and a better Net rating. Crazy.

I highly doubt we make the POs, we are playing some rather weak teams lately. There is gonna be a stretch of games where we will be thinking closer to the number 1 pick than the 8th seed.

Still, are the Grizz and Rockets bad or WHAT?! Technically 35 games in we have a marginally better offense and defense then the Rockets, while boasting a much better offense but considerably lower defense then the Grizz(but that gap on defense isn't equal to the gap in offensive efficiency). With the exact same roster!

Talk about disappointment.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,172

Post#83 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jan 4, 2016 10:27 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:LOL what a dumb comment by the suns owner about millennials. Does he not realize like 90% of the NBA are millennials?

Your team doesn't suck cause of that, its cause you guys are aimless and don't do your homework on player personalities. How else do you explain signing Tyson Chandler to a long term deal headed into what should be a rebuilding year? Or Isiaih Thomas when you already had 2 big time PGs and drafted a 3rd in the lotto?

Suns always mortgage their future for the present. It almost worked out for them, getting the Lakers pick for Nash, but then they sold that pick for cheap. Could have waited a year and sign Knight to the same contract, no one else would have touched it.

At this point though, these type of moves have become their MO. I feel bad for their coach, who I feel had them over-performing and that probably inflated the owners expectations.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#84 » by GreenRiddler » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:49 am

Never seen a coach talk so candidly about a player like that before. I remeber when Stotts called out Meyers' Defense his rookie year against Gortat. Since then I don't remeber him letting his emotions get the better of him post-game.

I can't say I disagree with Mitchell, Lavine is not ready, the guy barely played in College and like he said probably had a lousy high-school coach(Why I love Euro prospects no crazy AAU coach). I really started to notice how bad he was 2 seasons ago when he started instead of Mo and Lillard just ate his food.

SM: Shot selection. Passing. Did you see that pass last night? [Denver] switched Jameer Nelson on to G [Gorgui Dieng]. Zach was at the top of the key. What pass do you throw, with Jameer Nelson at 5-9 [listed at 6-0] and Gorgui at 6-11? He threw him a bounce pass. Not only a bounce pass, but he tried to throw [Mitchell leans to the side and flicks his outstretched right wrist as if putting English on the ball] a pass as though it is going to spin back to G miraculously. And I’m sitting there thinking, this is an NBA player. This is the 13th pick in the draft. And Gorgui has a 5-9 guard on him who is 34 years old [as of Feb. 9]. And our second-year point guard tries to throw him a bounce pass, instead of just throw it up there toward the basket.

Now people will say, “He should know that.” Well, we can’t take for granted that he does, because he showed last night that he don’t. So we have to teach everything. If we forget one thing, it bites us in the ass. If we forget telling our guy not to walk up but to step in and now break and get open, then we don’t get open.

We have to teach them how to set a proper screen at the right angle. We put in something today and the difference is the angle of the screen. [He stands up to demonstrate, showing that the Wolves were setting screens in a manner that compelled opponents easy access to the player with the ball.] I’m saying, “Now why would you set a screen that way when we want are trying to get [the opponent] to go the other way?” And they looked at me, so I said, “OK, let me show you how to set the screen.”

These are things that veteran teams just take for granted. We have to teach all of that. So, OK, people think, “Well you told them.” But how long does it take to break bad habits, habits that you have had ever since you started playing basketball? You can’t just do it by telling them once. If no one has ever taught you how to set a proper screen, I have got to show you Monday, I have got to show you Tuesday, I got to show you Wednesday, on tape Thursday, on tape Friday — until it becomes second nature.

So how long does it take? For every guy it is different. The great ones, like KG — [snaps fingers]. Man, KG just picked it up. Other guys, it takes a while. But that is the difference between winning and losing. That is the difference between you being able to get down here [motions at spot on floor] with your first dribble instead of your third dribble. It makes all the difference.

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2016/01/qa-sam-mitchell-weighs-zach-lavine-andrew-wiggins-and-wolves-season-so-far?utm_content=buffer2b9d8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#85 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:29 am

I really hope we don't go after Whiteside, he screams flash in the pan. Also this: http://hoopshype.com/2016/01/13/hassan-whitesides-assist-numbers-are-historically-bad/
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#86 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:56 am

Right now we are 8th in offense and aren't looking to go down, crazy given we just lost LMA and aren't missing a beat on that end.

"When you have two guys averaging 45 points between them, that's going to be the priority,” Stotts said.
Between them, Lillard and McCollum generally have enough juice in the scouting report to force opposing teams to adjust their base defense. Dropping back in the pick-and-roll just isn’t as prudent an approach when dealing with shooters of this caliber. Bigs, then, tend to come out higher to show or trap against the Blazers than they might otherwise. This naturally leads to some breakdowns in the defense born of a lack of practice or familiarity. In other cases, it exposes the coverage to the kind of quick split that can compromise it completely.

Really saw that tonight VS Brooklyn.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/01/14/the-fundamentals-trail-blazers-damian-lillard-cj-mccollum-terry-stotts
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#87 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:08 pm

Blatt was in over his head. They should've corrected the error of signing a rookie head coach based on what they thought was a developmental year, after that poor play to start 2014-15. Now they the team that fired the winning-est coach to ever be fired.
Even if he did have big-time errors like taking a TO when you have none or subbing in a starter to play garbage time before the Finals.

The one that gets me though is that he apparently drew up plays for players that weren't in the game. How is drawing up plays any different in the Euro-league VS NBA?
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#88 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:46 am

I like Myles Turner a lot more than Jahlil or Porzingis. Pacers got themselves a steal. Further proof you can get something good in the late lotto.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#89 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:37 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:I like Myles Turner a lot more than Jahlil or Porzingis. Pacers got themselves a steal. Further proof you can get something good in the late lotto.

it's already been "proved". Everybody knows you can sometimes catch a big one in a fished-over stream, but it's much better to cast your line in a stream that ha barely been fished

the last few times the Blazers had picks in the 10-16 range, they got Sebastian Telfaire, Jerryd Bayless, Luke Babbitt, Meyers Leonard, and CJ

the last few times the Blazers had picks in the top-half of the lottery, they got Martell Webster (when Chris Paul was available), Lamarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, and Damian Lillard

there's just no comparison in the level of talent
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#90 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote:I like Myles Turner a lot more than Jahlil or Porzingis. Pacers got themselves a steal. Further proof you can get something good in the late lotto.

it's already been "proved". Everybody knows you can sometimes catch a big one in a fished-over stream, but it's much better to cast your line in a stream that ha barely been fished

the last few times the Blazers had picks in the 10-16 range, they got Sebastian Telfaire, Jerryd Bayless, Luke Babbitt, Meyers Leonard, and CJ

the last few times the Blazers had picks in the top-half of the lottery, they got Martell Webster (when Chris Paul was available), Lamarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, and Damian Lillard

there's just no comparison in the level of talent

Well a lot of people are pretty apathetic if they get the 11-13 picks. When you just need a little luck and timing. Of course the 1-8 picks are gonna get more talent, but there is a perception its a must or your stuck with the Meyers Telfaire Bayless Rivers of the late lotto.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#91 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:35 pm

Update:

If he keeps it up the whole seasons that'd be an impressive feat.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#92 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:12 am

3 things holding D Cuz back from being a top 5 player: Attitude, Fouling and TOs.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#93 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:55 am

Damn, this is only the 3rd game I watched with LMA. It looks like the Spurs did us a favor...I prefer this group +the lotto pick VS an achilles injured Wes, 30% Usage big in LMA, non-playoff impactor Lopez and off injured thinks he is great 3 point shooter but really is above avg Batum.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#94 » by Downtown » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:30 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:Damn, this is only the 3rd game I watched with LMA. It looks like the Spurs did us a favor...I prefer this group +the lotto pick VS an achilles injured Wes, 30% Usage big in LMA, non-playoff impactor Lopez and off injured thinks he is great 3 point shooter but really is above avg Batum.

To be fair we don't know if Aldridge has changed his game in response to Greg Popowich's style. But I think everyone agrees this season that he's not a dominant offensive force with the Spurs like he was with Portland.

And yeah it's a bit sad to see how Mathews can't perform at the level he was with Portland. I'm still going to cheer for him and I hope it's just a matter of strengthening his leg and he will get back to his former level.

Lopez is playing like he did with Portland and Batum, from what I've gathered, is a very good fit with Charlotte.

But like yourself I enjoy watching this group more. Maybe it's because they have to fight and scrap more than the talented group of last season.
Downtown
Head Coach

Post#95 » by Downtown » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:59 pm

I see Blake Griffin broke his hand hitting an equipment staff member outside a restaurant in Toronto. Boy is this going to up the drama factor in LA. I just hope the guy is okay since the story said he hit the staff member multiple times.

What a bonehead. Now we'll see how the team responds. Personally I feel Griffin should be suspended but what's the use when he's now out for weeks anyway?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#96 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Downtown wrote:I see Blake Griffin broke his hand hitting an equipment staff member outside a restaurant in Toronto. Boy is this going to up the drama factor in LA. I just hope the guy is okay since the story said he hit the staff member multiple times.

What a bonehead. Now we'll see how the team responds. Personally I feel Griffin should be suspended but what's the use when he's now out for weeks anyway?

I just saw that on ESPN. Reports are they had an argument inside the restaurant and Griffin punched him then. After that, the equipment guy left and went outside but Griffin followed him and punched him again outside, breaking his hand

I'd imagine the equipment guy is going to get fired, even if it was all on Griffin. Both were sent back to LA

bizarre
Downtown
Head Coach

Post#97 » by Downtown » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:55 pm

No doubt if the guy gets fired there will be some "hush" money distributed his way and he'll have to sign a non disclosure statement so we'll never know the details from the Clippers.

But if the police were called and the guy was treated at the hospital there will be an incident report. I'm not sure how they'll treat it here in Canada but I would certainly bet that the Clippers lawyers are calling on the Raptors lawyers to get a clear understanding on the implications of assault in Canada. And I don't think that because both were American citizens it's swept under the table. We've had some tourists get assaulted every blue moon and the police go out of their way to ensure that a detailed report that can go on for up to a year or more is filed.

I read where everyone flew back to LA but no doubt Griffin will have to answer somme questions, if not now the next time he is in Toronto.

Is he going to be back there for there for the all-star game? :wink:
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,548

Post#98 » by zzaj » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Downtown wrote:...no doubt Griffin will have to answer somme questions, if not now the next time he is in Toronto.:wink:

I've often wondered about this...as a musician that tours a lot internationally, I've learned that the USA-CANADA border is super tight with restrictions regarding law breaking. For instance you are absolutely banned from Canada if you've had a DUI conviction in the past 7 years. A bandmate of mine had to travel with proof that his DUI conviction was 9 years old and he STILL got held up for hours at the border.

For those who know...how do NBA teams get around border law with players who have legal issues? Is it because they fly privately to and from the country?
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#99 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:14 am

Downtown wrote:I see Blake Griffin broke his hand hitting an equipment staff member outside a restaurant in Toronto. Boy is this going to up the drama factor in LA. I just hope the guy is okay since the story said he hit the staff member multiple times.

If the guy does end up filing a report to the authorities that means a headache for Blake, cause he has to deal with being prosecuted in another country.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#100 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:16 am

Downtown wrote:I read where everyone flew back to LA but no doubt Griffin will have to answer somme questions, if not now the next time he is in Toronto.

Is he going to be back there for there for the all-star game? :wink:

Hilarious timing.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers