ImageImage

Draft Day Rumors and Trades/Official Draft Thread.

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Re: Draft Day Rumors and Trades/Official Draft Thread. 

Post#341 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:09 am

I think some were expecting far too much today. The Blazers are a young team and olshey isn't looking to get younger. Even if we wanted a first rounder we would have likely had to sacrifice a starter to get that done since much of the team is heading to free agency. Im not convinced a late lotto or late first round pick is gonna produce like aminu or plumlee so I'm happy with Olshey staying pat rather than overpaying for a draft pick.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#342 » by Soulyss » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:12 am

I am surprised that Jarrod Uthoff didn't get drafted.. he's a little bit of a tweener, but the guy is one of the best shot blockers in College basketball. I would have much rather seen him drafted than Layman..
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#343 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:12 am

Soulyss wrote:
zzaj wrote:I wonder if this is an indication that Olshey plans on trying to retain/overpay for all of Crabbe/Hendo/Mo/Meyers. Pretty depressing thought.

This is my worry as well... If we start hearing chatter about "stay the course" at the beginning of FA we should all be worried.

there was all this back channel yapyap and rumors about how aggressive the Blazers were going to be in the draft and they end up overpaying for a 47th pick

wouldn't the free agency equivalent of that be overpaying Meyers and Crabbe?
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#344 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:13 am

I can't wait for Bizmack to be are off season get....yay
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

Soulyss
General Manager

Post#345 » by Soulyss » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:13 am

Oden2 wrote:I think some were expecting far too much today. The Blazers are a young team and olshey isn't looking to get younger. Even if we wanted a first rounder we would have likely had to sacrifice a starter to get that done since much of the team is heading to free agency. Im not convinced a late lotto or late first round pick is gonna produce like aminu or plumlee so I'm happy with Olshey staying pat rather than overpaying for a draft pick.

Not really concerned about the lack of a 1st round pick.. but there was clearly the ability to get value in the 2nd round, and it feels like we struck out.
TheEnforcer20
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#346 » by TheEnforcer20 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:15 am

My concern is PDX seems to be back to "treading water" not going forward or backward, just staying afloat. Other than Crabbe the others are just roster filler for the most part. OKC, Minnesota, Memphis, LAL and even Phoenix are making adjustments and playing the chess match that is required in the NBA. I am not saying Phoenix will compete but they will improve and every improved team becomes a hurdle over 82 games, especially with the roster that is in place for PDX at this point.
I never thought I’d lead the NBA in rebounding, but I got a lot of help from my team-mates – they did a lot of missing.

-Moses Malone
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#347 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:16 am

Huh layman is alright I like him more than Pat. Still don't see him doing anything though.

I don't think any of the guys we couldve traded for would've even played 40 games this year but I wanted to shore up the good prospects on our team since we only have Vonleh. Had a chance late in the 1st.

Hopefully we can use these end of the roster players in a deal for a rotation player in a sign and trade or something.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#348 » by zzaj » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:19 am

Soulyss wrote:
zzaj wrote:I wonder if this is an indication that Olshey plans on trying to retain/overpay for all of Crabbe/Hendo/Mo/Meyers. Pretty depressing thought.

This is my worry as well... If we start hearing chatter about "stay the course" at the beginning of FA we should all be worried.

Yeah, I'm worried that Olshey actually thinks his team is talented enough to get to the 2nd round on a consistent basis. The Blazers were what, 3 games away from not making the playoffs? I suppose he believes the Blazers overachieving had nothing to do with them being completely healthy all season long and MAJOR injuries to playoff opponents. smh. Even if the Blazers add Whiteside it's still going to be a struggle to make it into the playoffs.

Again, I'm fine with him doing nothing if Paul Allen doesn't want to spend money. But to add Jake Layman for a future 2nd is just completely stupid and pointless.
Soulyss
General Manager

Post#349 » by Soulyss » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:20 am

Boy I would love to see the Blazers make a run at GP2 and Uthoff for the summer league team so they could compete for a roster spot. Not sure any of the young fodder on the team currently is as good as those two players.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#350 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:21 am

I don't know about that Phx was suppose to get better through the draft. That is what tanking teams do, OKC did exactly what we did with Batum last summer, except he held more value and got a bigger return. Mem was making up for lost time as were the clips with there drafted players.

FA is the place we were suppose to get a actual rotation player. Just disappointed given the huge opportunity late in the 1st.
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#351 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:22 am

GP2 3 years with rockets
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

Soulyss
General Manager

Post#352 » by Soulyss » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:22 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/746195793556574209[/tweet]

I must hate him now, damn you GP2.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#353 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:28 am

Soulyss wrote:****

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/746195793556574209[/tweet]

I must hate him now, damn you GP2.

damn, that was quick
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#354 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:29 am

Don't get how we overpaid for layman. He is a 2nd rounder and we traded a future 2nd rounder for him.

Only diff is we threw in 2 mill. That 2 mill isn't helping us win games. It's not my money. Unless of course that payment restricts us in future cash trades.
mactrapper10
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#355 » by mactrapper10 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:30 am

At least we aren't Sacramento.
TheEnforcer20
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#356 » by TheEnforcer20 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:30 am

GreenRiddler wrote:I don't know about that Phx was suppose to get better through the draft. That is what tanking teams do, OKC did exactly what we did with Batum last summer, except he held more value and got a bigger return. Mem was making up for lost time as were the clips with there drafted players.

FA is the place we were suppose to get a actual rotation player. Just disappointed given the huge opportunity late in the 1st.

I am not saying Phx was supposed to get better draft wise but regardless I think it is fair to say they improved. A team in the West can't just stay the status quo and expect the same results as last year. It seems the Blazers go in cycles and that we are back to the pre-LA and Roy type of team, competitive but overmatched.
I never thought I’d lead the NBA in rebounding, but I got a lot of help from my team-mates – they did a lot of missing.

-Moses Malone
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#357 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:34 am

Oden2 wrote:Brexit and economic panic making up for a complete lack of drama in blazer land

Brexit indeed might be PA's #1 concern tonight
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#358 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:35 am

mactrapper10 wrote:At least we aren't Sacramento.

It's possible we might have a better night than the Kings.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#359 » by GreenRiddler » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:35 am

I actually think layman fits well in stotts system. Good spot up shooter. Really like his slashing and shows promise on defense. Very good 2pt % and 3point shooter. Intrigued to see him in SL. Stuff he struggles at isn't anything we'd need him to do. Always good to have extra wings like him.

Pat's difference is he sucks on defense, totally lost on perimeter and not fluid inside the arc. No slashing to his game iiirc. Spot up an that is it.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#360 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:37 am

GreenRiddler wrote:Don't get how we overpaid for layman. He is a 2nd rounder and we traded a future 2nd rounder for him.

Only diff is we threw in 2 mill. That 2 mill isn't helping us win games. It's not my money. Unless of course that payment restricts us in future cash trades.

Gotta bitch about somethin' I guess? /shrug

This literally will have no bearing on anything whatsoever. Blazers have made this kind of move before, and it's never hampered them from making future moves. The only thing this has a real impact on is Allen's pocketbook. If he's OK tossing around 1.3 mil (which given his 18 billion net worth, I'd imagine he is), then I'm OK with it.

I came into this draft with low expectations (didn't put as much stock in Olshey's "aggressive" comment as others did I guess) and wasn't surprised by the outcome. Wasn't interested in this draft anyhow, so bring on the real fun in FA!

Actually.... I am pissed off by one thing from this draft, Sabas in OKC. That sucks.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll

Return to Portland Trail Blazers