Under 6.5 wins
70%

Total votes: 10

Slingblade
Ballboy
And1: 8

Playoff Wins Prediction 

Post#1 » by Slingblade » Sat Sep 3, 2016 12:12 pm

I thought this would be fun to do one of these on each of the boards. Please provide your response/ summary below if you wish to be included in the contest.

Overrated offseason imo. I could see them in the WCF or out in round 1. But most likely going down quietly vs gsw, sas, or lac in rd 2. Expecting a lot of unders on this one but I thought I'd get way too many overs if i made it 5.5

I took the under
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Re: Playoff Wins Prediction 

Post#2 » by ebott » Sat Sep 3, 2016 3:25 pm

Slingblade wrote:Overrated offseason imo.

Over rated? Someone would have to have have said it was good for it to be over rated. Provide me with a link to an article where they got a good offseason grade. I have seen plenty where they got an F-. Do you think they should have gotten an F--?
They're the same team as last year with a much higher payroll. If they make it out of the first round I'll be shocked.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#3 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Sep 3, 2016 3:54 pm

ebott wrote:

Over rated? Someone would have to have have said it was good for it to be over rated. Provide me with a link to an article where they got a good offseason grade. I have seen plenty where they got an F-. Do you think they should have gotten an F--?
They're the same team as last year with a much higher payroll. If they make it out of the first round I'll be shocked.

well, there's a thread here where 24 people gave the off-season a grade of B or higher while 21 gave it a grade of C or lower. I guess that averages out to a B- which is better then it deserves IMO

anyway, it's kind of hard to project playoffs before seeing the regular season, but I'd agree that Portland making it out of the 1st round seems unlikely. Of course, I was thinking about 30 wins last season and looked what happened. Still, I think the middle of the western conference is better this season and the Blazers could be one injury away from being a lottery team
Charlie78
Starter
And1: 81

Post#4 » by Charlie78 » Sat Sep 3, 2016 8:14 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
ebott wrote:

well, there's a thread here where 24 people gave the off-season a grade of B or higher while 21 gave it a grade of C or lower. I guess that averages out to a B- which is better then it deserves IMO

anyway, it's kind of hard to project playoffs before seeing the regular season, but I'd agree that Portland making it out of the 1st round seems unlikely. Of course, I was thinking about 30 wins last season and looked what happened. Still, I think the middle of the western conference is better this season and the Blazers could be one injury away from being a lottery team

I keep hearing this one injury away nonsense and I just don't get it. The only player who we cannot do without is Dame and as long as it's not season ending I still think we have the ability to make it through 20 games without him. Also every team is one injury away from struggling if it's there best player. I just think this is a false narrative that has been getting thrown around a lot that just doesn't apply to our team. We obviously should not expect it to be as good as last season. However given our depth at every position and the fact that no one on our team has a history of major injuries outside of Meyers I don't know why we would be worried.

I would also disagree that the middle of the conference is better. The only team I see who really got better is Utah and with their injury history I would be super worried if I was them. Minnesota is going to take a year to figure it out. Okc is going to struggle same for Dallas, Memphis is one year older and virtually every player on their team has extensive injury histories, I'm not sold that Houston got better, and phx sac la and NO all seems the same or worse.

I am certain that as long as Lillard stays relatively healthy we will win 50+ games. With their playoff experience from last year and a better sense of what the team is they are going to make the second round and possibly the WCF I'll take the over easily!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#5 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Sep 3, 2016 10:51 pm

As an outsider, who doesn't visit the Rip City forum often (but having lived in Portland in the 1980s), i do visit but seldom post here.

I liked much of what the Blazers did during the off season but in some ways it was disappointing. I think the team's talent is out-of-balance. I was hoping the Nuggets could steal a couple of your wings ;-). I have no doubt the Blazers can make the playoffs and make some serious noise. "One injury away" is probably a serious exaggeration. Of course, Cleveland is only "one injury away" from a first round exit, if that injury is LeBron. Although Irving might be able to carry the team through the first round. ;-)

LIke the Nuggets, I look at the Blazers as a team posed for greatness (although the Blazers are closer). But I think the greatness will come with a major trade, probably a consolidation trade. My projection is #4 with an outside chance at #3. I do not believe the Blazers will be at their best for the season because of what I call the balance issue. In the playoffs, I do believe that only the Warriors will be able to stop a healthy Blazers team. Here's hoping you have someone with a "Kevin Duckworth" type from his 2nd & 3rd years with the Blazers.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#6 » by PDX MM » Sun Sep 4, 2016 4:17 pm

I don't even understand what is being asked here, anyone want to help this old man out?
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#7 » by deanwoof » Sun Sep 4, 2016 7:24 pm

i think he's trying to ask us how many play off games we're going to win. not sure why the half game option, as we're not really betting? where's the option "not making playoffs?" i guess that would be less than 6 so?
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,887

Post#8 » by JasonStern » Sun Sep 4, 2016 8:10 pm

under 6.5 easy. 7 wins means that not only does Portland advance to the second round, but will win another 3 games against a top 4 Western Conference team. I'm guessing the only reason the number 6.5 was picked is because we won 6 last year against an injured Clippers team and a Golden State team that had an injured Curry...

most of RealGM disagrees with me, but my early projection still remains that the Blazers will overachieve during the regular season only to be called out when the playoffs come and teams have time to plan for Stotts' offense, the game slows down and becomes more physical, and star calls matter more.

I'll even go out on a crazy limb and project that the Blazers start out strong, then fade towards the all-star break, only to have a post-all star break surge that eventually fades off. depending on their schedule, they might even make a surge towards the end entering the playoffs.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#9 » by PDX MM » Sun Sep 4, 2016 11:23 pm

deanwoof wrote:i think he's trying to ask us how many play off games we're going to win. not sure why the half game option, as we're not really betting? where's the option "not making playoffs?" i guess that would be less than 6 so?

Ah ok I see it now thank you. While I don't have much optimism for the upcoming season I need to see how this roster plays together before I honestly could answer the question.
BlazersRizing
Assistant Coach
And1: 159

Post#10 » by BlazersRizing » Mon Sep 5, 2016 4:24 pm

Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#11 » by Blazers98 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 2:50 am

1 injury away eh. Wasn't Curry out most of the series and we still couldn't come close to making it a tight series.
I think we will have the same amount of wins as last year and a 50/50 shot at making it to the second round to put us at what we accomplished last year.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone

Return to Portland Trail Blazers