ImageImage

Aldridge

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Aldridge 

Post#1 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:15 am

This is being discussed on the trade board but apparently there are reports of SA wanting to shop
Aldridge and hoping something gets done by the trade deadline.

Interesting how soon the championship contender Spurs soured on Aldridge. At least he's someone
else's problem.
MemitoQ303
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Aldridge 

Post#2 » by MemitoQ303 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:50 am

I believe in reality there are only 3 possible destinations for him. Sixers, Celtics, or Nuggets.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#3 » by PDXKnight » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:31 am

I'm not expecting them to trade LA but anything is possible. Ultimately I wouldn't mind having him back in pdx if he was cheap but I'd imagine since its RC bufford LA is gonna come with a high price tag and so SA would likely want CJ or Dame which obviously isn't happening with how LA left the first time & with how LA wasn't that great of a fit in stotts's system to begin with.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#4 » by GreenRiddler » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:59 am

Not surprised at all. I mean small ball rules the day, LMA loves isolation shots. The game is a ball dominant league, if you are not someone who has the ball in their hand (In LMa's case has to be given it) then you are not as effective as you would have been 10-15 seasons ago.

Looking at the Warriors, I can't help but think the spurs see that they have no small ball capability with LMA who hates playing center.

No hard feelings either, we don't have to deal with his me-first option now mindset and we are better off with CJ paired with Dame than LMA. Should really thank him for leaving.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#5 » by Shem » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:03 am

Oden2 wrote:Ultimately I wouldn't mind having him back in pdx

I don't want him back... AT ALL!!!
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#6 » by red_power » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:37 am

The only thing I'm regretting about LMA's Blazers tenure is that he walks away literally for free.. So I wish him long succesfull NBA career as far away from Portland as it's possible.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#7 » by Billy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm

It's not exactly surprising to me. He was moody in Portland, but he got away with it (frankly, was pandered to) because he was one of the stars on the team. The thing that always kind of struck me about Aldridge was he was a star quality player, wanted to be treated like one, but didn't want any of the responsibilities that came with it. IMO, the thing Aldridge doesn't understand about being a star is it comes with responsibilities if you want to win and be recognized while doing it.

Guys like Lillard and Roy obviously wanted all of it--and that ultimately lead to teammates, coaches, media and fans giving them more credit than Aldridge. Lillard and Roy would go out and score 50 one night, and then sit and answer all of the questions about why the team came out flat the next. People respect that, and naturally I think people gravitate toward players like that. They got all-star nods and media attention because they were the complete package. No one was knocking down Jimmy Jackson's door when he was averaging 20 points per game and nothing else.

Rasheed Wallace is the closest player I can think of (in part because I saw him up close for so many years) that had many of the same quirks as Aldridge. Though, unlike Aldridge, Sheed didn't want the recognition that came with his play. He just wanted to win. He didn't want the responsibilities of being a super star (though I'd be tempted to argue that he still took on critical roles in that regard). Still Rasheed just wanted to win, whether that meant scoring 30 or 3. If he got an all-star game nod he'd go.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think ultimately that is why Aldridge may not work out in SA. On the surface it looked like a super tight fit. He'd get some recognition, and he wouldn't necessarily have to be the guy standing in front of the mic when his team loses in the playoffs. I just don't think that some recognition is enough for him. I think his dream-boat scenario was to be a 25/12/3/2 guy, in the MVP conversation, and get the "fun" media time. When SA lost Duncan, Manu, Parker, and Leonard get to stand in front of the mic. I think the reality of it is that you get to be "the man" and get all of the problems that come with it, or you can be a background player and get the "perks" that come with that. In San Antonio (or really anywhere) he could be one or the other, but not both.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#8 » by PDXKnight » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:06 pm

Shem wrote:

Why not? Management's goal is to win a championship and adding as much talent as possible should be their goal. I wouldn't break the bank for him but if sa lost their mind and was willing to trade him for table scraps (Meyers and Davis) Id be down
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,820

Post#9 » by Fitz303 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:17 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Shem wrote:

Why not? Management's goal is to win a championship and adding as much talent as possible should be their goal. I wouldn't break the bank for him but if sa lost their mind and was willing to trade him for table scraps (Meyers and Davis) Id be down

That would be a locker room nightmare. I think Blazers management has moved forward, and hasn't looked back. Putting Aldridge back in that locker room, which Lillard has taken full control of, just wouldn't work IMO
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#10 » by DusterBuster » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:46 pm

Oden2 wrote:
Shem wrote:

Yeah, if you get him for table scraps you probably role the dice on him. Otherwise though, I agree with Shem that it's probably best to leave the Aldridge era in the past. He's just too temperamental and as good as he is, he isn't talented enough to really deserve the red carpet / feet kissing treatment he thinks he deserves.

For SA to already be tired of his crap after only one season, that says a lot imo.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#11 » by PDXKnight » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:17 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
Shem wrote:I don't want him back... AT ALL!!!

Yeah, if you get him for table scraps you probably role the dice on him. Otherwise though, I agree with Shem that it's probably best to leave the Aldridge era in the past. He's just too temperamental and as good as he is, he isn't talented enough to really deserve the red carpet / feet kissing treatment he thinks he deserves.

For SA to already be tired of his crap after only one season, that says a lot imo.

How do we know that sa is tired of him? We are just hearing the la rumors from "sources" and honestly that could just be an opposing gm stirring the pot
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#12 » by DusterBuster » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:03 pm

Oden2 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
Oden2 wrote:

How do we know that sa is tired of him? We are just hearing the la rumors from "sources" and honestly that could just be an opposing gm stirring the pot

Everything always comes from "sources", so it's kinda silly to just dismiss it outright because of that. There's enough history of Aldridge having this pattern of behavior and it's coming from enough trusted reporters that it's not crazy to assume that there's at least a slight amount of truth to this.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#13 » by zzaj » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:49 pm

Doesn't surprise me in the least...

SA under Pop has always been a "system" team. Every player sacrifices in order to be successful...Aldridge doesn't strike me as the kind of player to be happy averaging 11/5 for the good of the team.

He's essentially a SF without the skills of a SF--a PF/C that doesn't like anything within 10 feet of the basket.

I doubt Pop is going to change anything to cowtow to LA's soft style of play.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#14 » by PDXKnight » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:08 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Everything always comes from "sources", so it's kinda silly to just dismiss it outright because of that. There's enough history of Aldridge having this pattern of behavior and it's coming from enough trusted reporters that it's not crazy to assume that there's at least a slight amount of truth to this.

Of course there could be a slight amount of truth but never was there any mention of sa's asking price so even if they have some interest in trading him that interest might only occur if they are offered a superstar in exchange which would essentially make these rumors mere noisd
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#15 » by deanwoof » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:49 am

i dont' buy it. it's just ramblings. probably danny ainge is floating this out there so he can get aldridge, or ANYBODY
Manbacon
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#16 » by Manbacon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:49 am

aldridge isn't going anywhere. assuming the spurs don't want to suck, anyway.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers