2017 Draft Day & Rumors II.

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Re: 2017 Draft Day & Rumors II. 

Post#21 » by Goldbum » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Hopefully we have a taker for Crabbe...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#22 » by Downtown » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm glad it's over as well and some of the crazy rumours can be put to rest. I would say most here got it wrong as far as their thinking regarding attaching picks for a salary dump(myself included). It's time to move forward. Us armchair GM's usually get it wrong( it is fun though and that's why we visit this site) but I do remember one rumour saying that Swanigan won't fall past #26 but I can't remember where I saw it.

If Collins and Swanigan were who they targeted, and got both of them, then it's a success. Time will tell. Personally I'm okay with those two and am actually more interested in seeing what Swanigan can do, but would have liked someone with a little more defensive prowess. A little voice in my head says Jordan Bell is going to turn out to be the real deal.

Adebayo went before #15 so I'm happy we never had to make that decision. But you certainly can't argue with the success Collins had nor can you ignore Swanigan's offensive numbers and rebounds. I smiled when Jalen Rose compared Collins to Bill Lambier though. And the Zbo comparisons for Swanigan I like as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong the Blazers have a full roster now and there's no room for anyone who didn't get drafted. Whoever they have on their summer league team(are they even having one)will be showcasing for other teams rather than Portland.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#23 » by Downtown » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Goldbum wrote:Hopefully we have a taker for Crabbe...

I had hopes of Turner being the one leaving actually and when Brooklyn traded for Russell I was hoping for a turner to the Nets in return for Jeremy Lin. I thought a three headed backcourt rotation of Lillard, McCollum, and Lin, who can play both positions, would have been really good.

Crabbe has value to the team but IF either Collins and/or Swanigan show promise they will have a problem with the small forward position with Harkless, Crabbe, and Aminu, who they might have to switch back to small forward.

I suppose having the depth is a good thing and certainly they have much more than they did in the Aldridge days.
The Graduate
Freshman
And1: 66

Post#24 » by The Graduate » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Posted in a different thread, but it may be better here given the discussion at hand (delete if superfluous):

Not sure how I feel about the idea, but I'll throw it out there for you guys. Would any of you be willing to give up Harkless in a deal to shed Meyers? For instance, after reading Zach Lowe's column, would you be open to something like:

Harkless & Meyers for Rondo (he can be bought out before June 30th for 3 million)? I'm certainly not convinced the Bulls would do this, but perhaps if they liked Harkless (and perhaps want to take a flier on Meyers- they do need shooting, after all). We'd save 15 million in salary next year. Do you see Harkless as too valuable?

Would it change the dynamic if PA and Olshey were more willing to use the tax-payer MLE should a trade like this go through?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#25 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Downtown wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong the Blazers have a full roster now and there's no room for anyone who didn't get drafted. Whoever they have on their summer league team(are they even having one)will be showcasing for other teams rather than Portland.

Nlazers currently have 17 players. 15 under contract and rights to two rookies. They can carry more contracts then the 15 player max up until the start of the regular season...maybe a few days before that.

Ezeli is as good as gone unless some out-of-the-blue trade drops into Olshey's lap in the next 6 days. Connaughton and Quarteman have non-guaranteed salaries next season. I don't see any guarantee dates so probably, the non-guarantee would be in effect until one or the other is waived. I'm assuming it will be Quarterman waived

I'm at the point where I'd be mildly surprised if some trade didn't happen this off-season

Downtown wrote:I had hopes of Turner being the one leaving actually and when Brooklyn traded for Russell I was hoping for a turner to the Nets in return for Jeremy Lin. I thought a three headed backcourt rotation of Lillard, McCollum, and Lin, who can play both positions, would have been really good..

I'd love a Turner for Lin deal; don't see why Brooklyn would do it unless Portland incentivizes the deal with at least a draft pick

I'd much rather see Turner leave then Crabbe, but I'd imagine Portland could get a lot more traction with a Crabbe for Lin deal. The Nets were the ones who made that offer in the first place
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#26 » by Soulyss » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:42 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Downtown wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong the Blazers have a full roster now and there's no room for anyone who didn't get drafted. Whoever they have on their summer league team(are they even having one)will be showcasing for other teams rather than Portland.

Nlazers currently have 17 players. 15 under contract and rights to two rookies. They can carry more contracts then the 15 player max up until the start of the regular season...maybe a few days before that.

Ezeli is as good as gone unless some out-of-the-blue trade drops into Olshey's lap in the next 6 days. Connaughton and Quarteman have non-guaranteed salaries next season. I don't see any guarantee dates so probably, the non-guarantee would be in effect until one or the other is waived. I'm assuming it will be Quarterman waived

I'm at the point where I'd be mildly surprised if some trade didn't happen this off-season

Downtown wrote:I had hopes of Turner being the one leaving actually and when Brooklyn traded for Russell I was hoping for a turner to the Nets in return for Jeremy Lin. I thought a three headed backcourt rotation of Lillard, McCollum, and Lin, who can play both positions, would have been really good..

I'd love a Turner for Lin deal; don't see why Brooklyn would do it unless Portland incentivizes the deal with at least a draft pick

I'd much rather see Turner leave then Crabbe, but I'd imagine Portland could get a lot more traction with a Crabbe for Lin deal. The Nets were the ones who made that offer in the first place

100% agreement on Crabbe vs. Turner. I still hold hopes that Crabbe will continue to grow into inro a 3-d wing we were hoping for. Turner is always goi ng to be an inefficent poor fit
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#27 » by GEE » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:28 am

The Graduate wrote:Posted in a different thread, but it may be better here given the discussion at hand (delete if superfluous):

Not sure how I feel about the idea, but I'll throw it out there for you guys. Would any of you be willing to give up Harkless in a deal to shed Meyers? For instance, after reading Zach Lowe's column, would you be open to something like:

Harkless & Meyers for Rondo (he can be bought out before June 30th for 3 million)? I'm certainly not convinced the Bulls would do this, but perhaps if they liked Harkless (and perhaps want to take a flier on Meyers- they do need shooting, after all). We'd save 15 million in salary next year. Do you see Harkless as too valuable?

Would it change the dynamic if PA and Olshey were more willing to use the tax-payer MLE should a trade like this go through?

I see Harkless as our only true SF, so yes I do think he is too valuable. Any deal involving him, IMO, needs to have a SF that is at least as good as he is coming back. I hope to see us make a couple of consolidation trades, like WIZ was suggesting, for example:

Aminu (good asset) + 7 foot Shirley Temple (garbage) = Expiring
Ezelli (great contract for the next few days) + Turner(decent player w/ bad contract) + 2008 1st = Expiring
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#28 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:39 pm

I would use Aminu, Davis and Ezeli (gotta happen soon though) to move either Turner or Meyers. As much as I dislike Meyers, I would try and move Turner first simply because his contract is larger. I would try and hang on to Crabbe (seems weird to say), but he kind of came into his own this past season. Let's see what he can do next season when his foot heals.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#29 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:29 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I would use Aminu, Davis and Ezeli (gotta happen soon though) to move either Turner or Meyers. As much as I dislike Meyers, I would try and move Turner first simply because his contract is larger. I would try and hang on to Crabbe (seems weird to say), but he kind of came into his own this past season. Let's see what he can do next season when his foot heals.

I think the window for using Ezeli has probably closed, if it was ever really open. To use it now in any 2 team deal, it would mean the Blazers would almost certainly be bringing back more next-season salary then they are sending out, and with the impending tax situation, it hard to picture the Blazers doing that. A multi-team deal seems very unlikely; but I suppose some remote chance might come up as teams prepare for free agency. Problem with that is that cap-space and TPE's are the hot commodity as teams jockey their cap-room around. Blazers can't help any team with that

Aminu-Davis? I'm skeptical they have enough positive value to offset the negative value of Turner/Meyers.

some people are saying that the Knicks (Phil Jackson) might have some interest in Turner. If that's true, A Turner + Meyers + Portland 2018 first (lottery-protected) for Noah might have some traction. Then, in August 2018 the Blazers could stretch-provision Noah and the Turner-Meyers 2018-19 cap-hit of 29M could be dropped to 7.6M. At this point in time I don't see any better options for working on the 2018-19 tax issue. I think Paul Allen may very well be on the hook for a 30M tax bite next season. He might be OK with that if the Blazers come out next season and look like a candidate for a top-4 seed. But if they come out and crap the bed over the first half of the season, like they have the last 2 years, we could see some ugly trades before the deadline
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#30 » by Goldbum » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:16 am

Honestly, I hope that we are able to pick up a couple minor assetts in Davis/Aminu trades and can then use those same assetts to move Myers. Then next off season when Turner and Crabbe only have 2 years left we can go from there. Wiping Aminu/Davis/Myers all off the books without compromising our future draft capital would be fantastic. Myers + a 1st and a 2nd for some low grade wing prospect would be my best case scenario. I keep bring up Crabbe as the guy to trade just because I feel he has some real value and we still have Layman and PlanetPat5 to take up some of his designated shooter minutes. Heck if we could somehow pull off both we could start negotiating Nurkic and Vonlehs extensions now. Also I feel like ET's value will go way up next year now that we have some players who can actually finish down low.
Meyers/Davis/Aminu and Crabbe is A LOT of salary to off load and maybe it's not possible, but NO should be working the phones trying to trim the fat.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#31 » by PDXKnight » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:18 pm

I suspect the asking price to shed salary was far too high to merit a move right now. Just look at la, I doubt they were chomping at the bit to offload a prospect but because of long term plans it made sense for them. My hope is that after teams strike out in fa and/or realize what guys are getting paid in fa they'll be more open to taking back a contract of someone like et.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#32 » by dunlop212 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Isn't there some kind of clause in Crabbe's contract that makes him hard to move?

Re Davis and Leonard, aren't they more marketable if you let them play some games and show that they have recovered from last year's injuries?

If so, that leaves the draft pick and Turner as bait for an uneven trade. In today's market, a very uneven trade. I am viewing the off season like a trip to the dentist.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#33 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:35 pm

re Meyers, at the end of the yr he was complaining how bad his back was and I was thinking he might need surgery. Since I have heard nothing about that I assume he did not need the surgery? Has anyone heard anything?

It was two herniated discs AND hip damage, that can take some significant time to heal.

http://www.csnnw.com/portland-trail-blazers/meyers-leonard-limited-he-tries-play-through-hip-and-back-pain
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#34 » by Norm2953 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Harkless is the closest thing to Nic Batum type of SF who can play three positions this team has.
Real possibility he gets dealt for finances or to help rid ourselves of guys like Meyers.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#35 » by red_power » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Blazinaway wrote:re Meyers, at the end of the yr he was complaining how bad his back was and I was thinking he might need surgery. Since I have heard nothing about that I assume he did not need the surgery? Has anyone heard anything?

It was two herniated discs AND hip damage, that can take some significant time to heal.

http://www.csnnw.com/portland-trail-blazers/meyers-leonard-limited-he-tries-play-through-hip-and-back-pain

He needs retirement I believe :roll:
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,471

Post#36 » by Pattycakes » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Blazinaway wrote:re Meyers, at the end of the yr he was complaining how bad his back was and I was thinking he might need surgery. Since I have heard nothing about that I assume he did not need the surgery? Has anyone heard anything?

Meyers Leonard is softer than a soft serve on the hot summer sidewalks of Downtown PDX.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#37 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:39 pm

Pattycakes wrote:

Strained vag I hear?

uh oh!
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,841

Post#38 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Pattycakes wrote:

Strained vag I hear?

Or we could just not try to use being a woman or having a vagina as an insult and just.. call him some non-gendered word. Like soft, weak.

Cause ya know. Women are sports fans too. And this isn't exactly fostering a welcoming environment.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,471

Re: RE: Re: 2017 Draft Day & Rumors II. 

Post#39 » by Pattycakes » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:30 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

Strained vag I hear?

Or we could just not try to use being a woman or having a vagina as an insult and just.. call him some non-gendered word. Like soft, weak.

Cause ya know. Women are sports fans too. And this isn't exactly fostering a welcoming environment.

Touche. No offense intended, i'm sorry.

Sent from my LG-K450 using RealGM Forums mobile app
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#40 » by GEE » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Medical retirement :pray: Could be the best thing for him and the team. The fans' hatred of him almost makes me feel a little sorry for him. Be a good teammate and just hang it up. If we can move Turner with our 08 1st, we should be in OK shape moving forward.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers