ImageImage

Post Draft Opinions RE: Roster

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

The Graduate
Freshman
And1: 66

Re: Post Draft Opinions RE: Roster 

Post#21 » by The Graduate » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:27 pm

Not sure how I feel about the idea, but I'll throw it out there for you guys. Would any of you be willing to give up Harkless in a deal to shed Meyers? For instance, after reading Zach Lowe's column, would you be open to something like:

Harkless & Meyers for Rondo (he can be bought out before June 30th for 3 million)? I'm certainly not convinced the Bulls would do this, but perhaps if they liked Harkless (and perhaps take a flier on Meyers- they do need shooting, after all). We'd save 15 million in salary next year. Do you see Harkless as too valuable?

Would it change the dynamic if PA and Olshey were more willing to use the tax-payer MLE should a trade like this go through?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#22 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Nope. I would rather add a lotto protected R1 than Hark.

Our starting five for the next 5 years should be Lillard / McCollum / Harkless / Collins / Nurkic.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#23 » by d-train » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:13 pm

I propose we have a summer league followed by a training camp. Assuming we have no trades, we have 5 guys and NO will probably add at least 3 more to battle over 4 or 5 roster spots. Collins and Biggie will have guaranteed contracts so that might really be 2 or 3 roster spots.

Here's the team so far:

The big 3 core:
Lillard
Cj
Nurkic

Starting caliber:
Aminu
Turner
Crabbe

Starting capable:
Harkless
Vonleh
Davis

Rotation capable:
Napier
Leonard

Guaranteed money:
Collins
Biggie
Layman

Fighting for survival:
Cannaughton
Quarterman
d-train
RealGM

Post#24 » by d-train » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:17 pm

Could be a good SL team:

Collins
Biggie
Napier
Layman
Cannaughton
Quarterman
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#25 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Davis and Vonleh are FA and will be let go probably, if you can use any of them in any package with Leonard, maybe Napier, to dump that contrat you do that, if not you use them during the year and move on next offseason
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#26 » by GEE » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Question.... Is there any rule against putting 7 foot Shirley Temple on the Summer league roster, with the hopes that she plays well enough to draw interest from another team?

As far as the roster goes... At least one consolidation trade is needed. No interest in moving Harkless (he's our only true SF), unless it brings back an upgrade at the SF. Players that need to go are obviously Leonard and Turner. Players available: Ezelli, Davis, the closers, maybe Aminu and Vonleh. Hopefully a couple of good player + bad player = expiring contract type of deals.

Enjoy your weekend celebrating your hard work Olshey, but come Monday, get your azz back on those phones. You still have work to do.
d-train
RealGM

Post#27 » by d-train » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Fischella wrote:Davis and Vonleh are FA and will be let go probably, if you can use any of them in any package with Leonard, maybe Napier, to dump that contrat you do that, if not you use them during the year and move on next offseason

I don't see Olshey dumping anything. Meyers is the big contract furthest down the rotation and I don't foresee him being traded unless its in exchange for valuable assets.
d-train
RealGM

Post#28 » by d-train » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:44 pm

Davis is an expiring contract. Vonleh is in the final year of his rookie deal and will be working for an extension similar to the ones given last year.
coryahh
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: RE: Re: Post Draft Opinions RE: Roster 

Post#29 » by coryahh » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 am

Blazinaway wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Blazinaway wrote: and maybe a fresh start helps Meyers

LOL..yeah right

Meyers + fresh start + NY fans....that should work out well

LOL, I tried to be a little positive for him, NYC fans would likely eat him for breakfast

As a kid that lives and grew up in ny. Leonard will get chewed out here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#30 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:50 am

Portland likely has 1-2 roster moves ahead this summer. First teams will need to see their draftees
in their summer camps to determine how they look in their first professional camp. As teams get
to see how things are going, they'll begin to look around at moves they can make.

Free agency is ahead but I wonder how many of the teams think signing a major free agent is going
to matter with a dominant GSW team. The lowered salary cap and a very deep rookie class could
depress the free agent market.
BIG Game
Rookie
And1: 272

Post#31 » by BIG Game » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Goldbum wrote:I think the need for Turner went out the window when we acquired Nurkic, who is more than capable of creating offense for himself and others. However ET's versatility and interior passing won't be wasted with the finishers we finally have down low.

Given another year I think Turner can prove his worth. I just don't think that worth will add up to his contract. Bottom line one or more of the following have to go:

Myers
Turner
Crabb

Harkless Collins and Noah are the wild cards, if they can live up to or start showing sign of approaching their potential Portland is in good shape.

The keys this offseason are to move bad contracts and try to add a defensive wing.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#32 » by Epicurus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:02 pm

Perhaps the Blazers will deal out Vonleh. Yet looking at his post-All Star 26 games, that may be a huge mistake. His efg% went up nearly 14 percent from preAS game. His rebound rate was about the same, while his turnover rate went down and his assist rate went up. If he builds upon his postAS performance, someone is going to have a very useful rebounding big.
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#33 » by Blazers98 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm looking at a possible team to trade Meyers to.
Minny is a team that made a big acquisition with Butler. That said they were near the bottom with 3 pointers. Now they are adding Butler coming in who shoots maybe 1 a game and subtracting Lavine who shot 2.5 a game. Minny could really use somebody who could shoot the 3 ball and possibly a stretch 4. Right now Dieng plays the 4 for them but can't shoot the 3. I hope we can get Minny on the phone and gauge interest.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#34 » by Soulyss » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:26 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I overall really liked what the Blazers did on draft night. I've not been high on ZCollins, but there are PLENTY of people who are and Olshey seemed pretty well convinced of him being a no-brainer pick, so I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I still expect to see some trades this summer, or at least one, probably after some of the initial dust settles from FA and some teams with space have been left out in the cold. But overall, I like where I see the roster right now better than where it was last season.

I have come around to this line of thinking.... We're going to need to trust that Collins is going to be able to guard PF and spread the floor sufficiently to play alongside Nurk until proven otherwise. I don't think the Blazers will use assets to move people this year, so I suspect we're stuck with Meyers & Turner.

I think the likely candidate is Davis. He's a vet, he's a good defender, and he's healthy now. I would expect him to get moved sometime this summer, especially if someone goes down with an injury during their camp, etc.
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#35 » by britblazerdude » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:54 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
britblazerdude wrote:Between Davis, Vonleh, Leonard, Aminu, Harkless, Nurkic, Swanigan and Collins, we have a bunch of size. As a lock, we have to keep Nurkic. I'd like to see us keep Vonleh and Harkless, because I believe in their immense potential. Collins and Swanigan, we'll see. But Ed Davis is only decent. Leonard is the worst Trail Blazer of all time. And Aminu is pretty much a standard quality, plug-and-play NBA small forward.

Assuming we start Zach Collins, would something like this work? Not sure.

Nurkic
Collins
Harkless
CJ
Lillard

More comparable than you think! :lol:
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#36 » by deanwoof » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:56 am

Blazinaway wrote:what must Meyers be thinking?

i'm not sure, is he still blocking people on twitter?
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#37 » by deanwoof » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:04 am

Blazers98 wrote:I'm looking at a possible team to trade Meyers to.
Minny is a team that made a big acquisition with Butler. That said they were near the bottom with 3 pointers. Now they are adding Butler coming in who shoots maybe 1 a game and subtracting Lavine who shot 2.5 a game. Minny could really use somebody who could shoot the 3 ball and possibly a stretch 4. Right now Dieng plays the 4 for them but can't shoot the 3. I hope we can get Minny on the phone and gauge interest.

i can't picture minnesota trading for meyers. they have what $20M or so under the cap to spend this summer. surely they could sign somebody better for $10M. (don't call me shirley).
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#38 » by ebott » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:18 am

d-train wrote:Could be a good SL team:

Collins
Biggie
Napier
Layman
Cannaughton
Quarterman

I'm legit excited about this team. I feel like it's a forgone conclusion that the Blazers will struggle to make the playoffs and lose in the first round. But that summer league team. They might win the championship. This will be my fourth time going down there and this will be the first time we have a team that will be worth a damn.

As for the op's general theory that something must be done due to us drafting two big men, I just disagree. The Blazers don't have to do anything. None of the guys mentioned are so important that their potential unhappiness due to lack of playing time should necessitate the Blazers make a move.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#39 » by Blazers98 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:42 pm

deanwoof wrote:
Blazers98 wrote:I'm looking at a possible team to trade Meyers to.

i can't picture minnesota trading for meyers. they have what $20M or so under the cap to spend this summer. surely they could sign somebody better for $10M. (don't call me shirley).

LOL.....I'm with ya. Just hoping beyond hope that we can offload Meyers and to do so we will have to chase down ANY and ALL leads.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#40 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 pm

I kinda think we are stuck with Leonard for another year. I think the Blazers need to do everything possible to unload Turner this summer. If they can talk New York or who ever into a 2 for 1 deal and include Meyers, all the better (but doubtful). I'm not ready to turn over the reigns just yet to Collins and Biggie. I also think the starting PF position, while up for grabs, is Vonleh's. That guy plays really well with Nurkic. Is it a coincidence that his play and statistics improved once Nurkic joined the team???

As much as I think Davis may be easily tradeable, I'm gonna hang on to him due to Nurkic's injury history. Perhaps Aminu is the odd man out?!?!?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018

Return to Portland Trail Blazers