ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#201 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:57 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:
Bro!! Please post more. I might come back if there’s more positivity here

Worth saying, as one of the biggest pessimists about the state of the franchise, that I do appreciate alternative, positive views. There is a lot to like on even the bleakest NBA roster, and a bunch of Portland's youth are easy to cheer for. I do tend to get lost in the fuzziness of the big picture. I should probably accept the difficult present and enjoy what I can out of this team.

I don’t mean this is any slight or personal way, but if the hopelessness of the Dame treadmill has produced any real hopeful excitement since LA/Wes/etc all abandoned him, I must have been watching a diff brand of Blazer basketball.

They were always pretenders simply holding on to Dames coat tail.

At least there’s a glimpse of actual two way team basketball on the horizon. I’ll take it. Gladly.

Maybe we don’t have a 30 ppg nightly scorer on the roster, but maybe our team actually is somewhat unpredictable. Perhaps that identity is worth investing in. Idk. TBD

Your POV is valid. It's what you enjoy vs. what you don't. For me, Dame was an electric franchise player, and the team yielded as much success as most cores are likely to. I'll never be a championship-or-rebuild kinda guy. The so-called treadmill is much more enjoyable basketball than the depths of tankville. For me, anyway.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#202 » by Blazinaway » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:25 pm

Norm2953 wrote:It will of course come down to the workouts which follow the NBA combine. Getting an accurate
measurement is vital for if Holland for example is closer to 6-6 and Matas is closer to 6-8, their
draft stock is going to drop.

I do think if Portland had the first pick, they'd take Sarr, who's NBA draft comparison is the Dallas
Mavs Dereck Lively. I'd personally take Clingan at 4-5 assuming his knee concerns are fine for he's
going to be a guy who plays 10 years in the league. Rather than gamble on the boom/bust players,
I'd rather take the guys who will play and be good players at pick 4-5 for a team can either trade
from a position of strength as long as player XX checks out physically and has no long term injury
issues.

I think the Top 5 and frankly much of this draft is VERY fluid with no clear-cut favorites at this time. It's the "Wild West" of drafts IMO
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,534

Post#203 » by zzaj » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:33 pm

Looking at what's available...I hope that the Blazers draft the rights to Hansen Yang in the second round.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#204 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:39 pm

zzaj wrote:Looking at what's available...I hope that the Blazers draft the rights to Hansen Yang in the second round.

Would think about him at #40 - I dont have much expectation on him but he is big and has a nice offensive feel for the game.

Mostly like the idea of a stash player at #40 but think we trade out for future picks in the end.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#205 » by zzaj » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:16 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
zzaj wrote:Looking at what's available...I hope that the Blazers draft the rights to Hansen Yang in the second round.

Would think about him at #40 - I dont have much expectation on him but he is big and has a nice offensive feel for the game.

Mostly like the idea of a stash player at #40 but think we trade out for future picks in the end.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I view him too. He's got pretty advanced feel for an 18 year old--especially his passing. If the Blazers could stash him for a year or two, I don't really see the harm...or maybe they put him on the Remix. Like you, I think ultimately the Blazers will opt for future picks with their 2nd rounders.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#206 » by Waynearchetype » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:33 pm

Something I noticed today. Reed Sheppards TS% is higher than the college numbers for Curry, Kyrie, and Dame.

His blocks and steals are also higher than all of them.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#207 » by cdubbz » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:39 pm

Waynearchetype wrote:Something I noticed today. Reed Sheppards TS% is higher than the college numbers for Curry, Kyrie, and Dame.

He's got that dawg in him. I like him a lot.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#208 » by zzaj » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:41 pm

Waynearchetype wrote:Something I noticed today. Reed Sheppards TS% is higher than the college numbers for Curry, Kyrie, and Dame.

I love me some Kentucky guards. If Cronin's plan is to get rid of Ant and Brogdon, I wouldn't have an issue with Reed Sheppard as 6th man. It's funny, he's like the exact opposite of Scoot--lights out shooter + very mistake free and efficient.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#209 » by cdubbz » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:34 pm

zzaj wrote:

I love me some Kentucky guards. If Cronin's plan is to get rid of Ant and Brogdon, I wouldn't have an issue with Reed Sheppard as 6th man. It's funny, he's like the exact opposite of Scoot--lights out shooter + very mistake free and efficient.

Blazers should make it a battle at camp for the starting PG spot. Shepphard/Ant could be a better starting unit based off shooting alone.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#210 » by cdubbz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:17 am

I did not know Matas Buzelis comes from a line of Lithuanian professional basketball players.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#211 » by zzaj » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:23 am

cdubbz wrote:
zzaj wrote:

Blazers should make it a battle at camp for the starting PG spot. Shepphard/Ant could be a better starting unit based off shooting alone.

Ant/Sheppard as the starting guards would give me an ulcer. We already lived through like 8 years of a no defense, shrimpy backcourt—I don’t think our fanbase could handle that again…
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,842

Post#212 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:56 am

zzaj wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
zzaj wrote:

Ant/Sheppard as the starting guards would give me an ulcer. We already lived through like 8 years of a no defense, shrimpy backcourt—I don’t think our fanbase could handle that again…

I would be joining some of our regulars in heavy drinking during games.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,850

Post#213 » by Norm2953 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:24 am

I think this is the type of draft where there is no consensus #1 player for most teams.

In the case of Portland; if they had a top 3 pick, they could go get whichever player they want
for the team at 1 could quite easily get their player at 3 in all likelihood and get something of
value to them for their trouble.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,971

Post#214 » by DusterBuster » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:28 am

Blazers now officially getting 2 lottery picks.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
The Sebastian Express

Post#215 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:41 am

Well, don't jinx it. They can still lose it if Warriors end up top four, even if unlikely.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 817

Post#216 » by tester551 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:06 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:Well, don't jinx it. They can still lose it if Warriors end up top four, even if unlikely.

Honestly - I think that is the ideal outcome.

Id much rather have the '25 pick. As far as values go:

#13 this year <=> #18 in '25

Id rather take the gamble of getting a worse pick in a much better draft... for the chance of getting a better pick in a better draft.

I would guess GSW end up in the #10-14 pick range next season.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#217 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:12 am

DusterBuster wrote:Blazers now officially getting 2 lottery picks.

Is that guaranteed? They're tied with Sacramento and Miami overall. Does tonight's game have any bearing on the draft placement? If not, they could potentially end up at #15. With a little luck, they end up at #13. If the gods are with them, perhaps they move up in the draft.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
The Sebastian Express

Post#218 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:37 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:

Is that guaranteed? They're tied with Sacramento and Miami overall. Does tonight's game have any bearing on the draft placement? If not, they could potentially end up at #15. With a little luck, they end up at #13. If the gods are with them, perhaps they move up in the draft.

They're eliminated from the playoffs. They're in the lottery. Everything else is just whether they're 12-14th pre-lottery ball selection.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 817

Post#219 » by tester551 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:31 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:

Pick is protected 1-4, so if it moves up-> GSW keep the ouck and Portland would get their '25 pick.

Since Warriors have been eliminated from playoffs contention- their pick can only be 1-4, #12 (only if Harks/Bulls make it to the playoffs), #13, or #14.

13/14 are by far the most likely outcome
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,472

Post#220 » by Pattycakes » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:18 pm

tester551 wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:

Pick is protected 1-4, so if it moves up-> GSW keep the ouck and Portland would get their '25 pick.

Since Warriors have been eliminated from playoffs contention- their pick can only be 1-4, #12 (only if Harks/Bulls make it to the playoffs), #13, or #14.

13/14 are by far the most likely outcome

I will cry if they move up that much and we lose it. I want Dalton Knecht bad and already think we need to move up a few spots as it is.

Him and Ron Holland are my guys this draft.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers